Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I went out to lunch and for tea with a friend today (blog post coming soon). The tea I choose was a raw pu-erh and it was fairly bitter for me. When I got home, I just felt like having...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2179 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Teavivre for the sample! This tea was very relaxing today. I even found it evoked some vivid memories in my mind. I didn't find it as flavourful as other Bai Mu Dan's I've tried, but I...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 504 tasting notes
  • “Ok, time to try this one again. I'm still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I'm able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something verging...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 1208 tasting notes
  • “Ah, white tea, my old nemesis. Hah, not really, but still, I haven't had a ton of luck with white teas in the past. Not that I have brewed white teas that I've actively disliked or couldn't finish...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1856 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Organically grown at Mt. Taimu in Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Made from one or two leaf buds covered with fine downy white hairs

Harvest time: March, 2011 (2012 New Version of this tea is available now, which is harvest on April 5 – April 10)

Taste: A delicate, slightly flowery, sweet, lingering taste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: White Peony tea undergoes minimal processing and so it retains all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that all white teas are renowned for.

Certifications: The particular Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU, JAS organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) Tea has a surprisingly woodsy smell in the bag. Not what you’d expect from a white tea! The odor packs a lot of green punch but it’s so sweet and soft about it that you’re immediately intrigued. Dry leaves, though their scent can often be misleading, are like meeting somebody for the first time. That initial impression is the one that sets up the entire exchange, and this tea has decided to give you a handshake that catches you off guard with how gentle it is, though you can already feel the strength of the grasp. But does this translate into the cup?

Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/07/05/snooty-tea-review-teavivre-round-2/

I hadn’t tried a Bai Mu Dan before so this was interesting. To me this is light, strong hay note, medium floral, slightly sweet. Not an everyday tea for me, but still a nice drop/

It’s really starting to get hot and humid where I live, and preparing this cold steeped overnight really hit the spot. I like how the chilly water brings out a refreshing flavour of the floral Bai Mu Dan.

Also, it really helps me get through a lot of 2012 purchases so I can buy the current year’s stuff. ;)

Steep parameters:
6 tea spoons of tea leaves, 1 liter jug of water, steeped for about 15 hours in a refrigerator.

Iced

This tea brewed up a darker yellow than I expected. The dry tea and tea liquor smells sweet and vegetal. More like flower leaf vegetal, than grass vegetal. There is a slight flowery scent to the tea.

The tea tastes sweet and floral but not perfumey and also not jasmine. This is a delicate, smooth tea.

I used 1 tsp.

Very good tea, not simple at all by its taste. Here’s more http://www.teablr.com/?p=493

This is my first white tea so I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t read the instructions so my first cup had about 2 cups of water and one tsp of tea. The tea was a pretty, pale yellow with a light, slightly vegetal flavor and woodsy aroma. But I wasn’t sure what I was tasting. It’s definitely relaxing and smooth. I added a little stevia, which brought out the floral undertones in the taste. Now, according to the instructions I looked at here, I didn’t have enough leaves, so I made another mug, this time stronger.

This time I can really taste the “greenness”, and as the tea cooled, there was more of a floral undertone to the aroma. I liked the tea stronger but you know what? I like it better weaker.

A great sample I received from Teavivre. I set up a proper tasting with degustation sets for each of the teas. Well, I didn’t do the traditional 6 minutes, but I did my best for the type of tea. Here’s my notes.

Dry leaf: very fluffy and downy. Much more so than other White Peonies I’ve tasted recently. Good quality leaf.
Brewing method: 3g, tasting set, 85 C for 1 minute
Aroma: Classic Bai Mu Dan aroma of gently roasted walnuts.
Infusion: Light green-yellow liquor.
Taste: Very sweet and thick. Filling like – don’t take this the wrong way, because it’s really pleasant – white beans. Tastes like Bai Mu Dan should, bringing back memories of my first experiences with the style many years ago when I would drink the tea every morning.

This was the best of all the samples that I received. Definitely worth drinking in the future.

Mmm. Juicy and flavorful. Love it!

Blended with the last of my Yunnan Silver Needle for good results.

[One of my free samples from Teavivre, Thank you so much!]

Very light, pretty, sweet. A little more grassy than Silver Needle, and yet more refreshing. I really enjoyed this one on a sunny Sunday afternoon.