Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea

White Tea
Floral, Hay, Sweet, Flowers, Honey, Peach, Grass, Cut grass, Grain, Mineral, Straw, Cucumber
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I went out to lunch and for tea with a friend today (blog post coming soon). The tea I choose was a raw pu-erh and it was fairly bitter for me. When I got home, I just felt like having something...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2794 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Teavivre for the sample! This tea was very relaxing today. I even found it evoked some vivid memories in my mind. I didn’t find it as flavourful as other Bai Mu Dan’s...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 514 tasting notes
  • “Ok, time to try this one again. I’m still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I’m able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 3091 tasting notes
  • “Ah, white tea, my old nemesis. Hah, not really, but still, I haven’t had a ton of luck with white teas in the past. Not that I have brewed white teas that I’ve actively disliked or...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Organically grown at Mt. Taimu in Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Made from one or two leaf buds covered with fine downy white hairs

Harvest time: March, 2011 (2012 New Version of this tea is available now, which is harvest on April 5 – April 10)

Taste: A delicate, slightly flowery, sweet, lingering taste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: White Peony tea undergoes minimal processing and so it retains all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that all white teas are renowned for.

Certifications: The particular Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU, JAS organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

I brewed half of my 5g sample yesterday and the rest of it today, both with 12 oz water for 3 min. For some reason, though, yesterday’s cup seemed sweeter and more floral than today’s. Perhaps I didn’t divide the sample as equally as I thought. Today the tea tastes much stronger of hay. Apparently this tea can be easily tweaked to bring out more or less of these flavors. A gong fu brewing would probably yield the best of everything, but I only take the time for that once in a while.

Flavors: Floral, Hay, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

Sweet and lightly nutty with notes of floral hay and melon. A lovely freshly dried hay- like aroma. Delicate and very enjoyable! Delicious re-steeps.
Thank you to Angel at teavivre for sending this for me to try!!

now that I can drink tea as my throat feels better I will do a full review as per deal with teavivre:

this tea when dry smells like flowers and peaches :)

when I smell the tea leaves when wet, it smells like flowers too

when I taste the tea it tastes like flowers and honey :D

many thanks to angel tevivre for this amazing tea

Flavors: Flowers, Honey, Peach, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 g 25 OZ / 750 ML

I thought it would be fun to steep a white tea gong fu-style, so I opted to try this tea out. Thanks for the sample, Angel!! I’ve had a white tea gong fu-style at Samovar, but they used too much leaf, in my opinion, and the steeps came out bitter. For this session, I used probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the sample packet with the recommended 194-degree water. I did a super quick rinse just to wet the leaves, and then steeped it 15/30/45/60/90/180sec. The first steep was similar in taste to other white peony teas I’ve tried before…sweet hay notes. This one, however, was smoother than others I’ve had. Sometimes the hay note kind of causes a drying feeling in my mouth, but I didn’t really have that with this tea. In the second steep, the hay note moved to the background and a pleasant peach taste came through! There was also a bit of a vegetal note, similar to what I find in green oolongs. In the later steeps, that vegetal note came through as sweet zucchini! Nice and light and great for hot weather (which we can’t seem to get rid of around here!)

It must be springtime…I am on the white tea train :) so fresh, light, sweet..jusr reminiscent of the season. I had a gaiwan session of this yesterday and I am finishing the packet off today with another session. This is also a sipdown of the free samples Angel so generously provided, thanks again!

This tea is quite good brewed gongfu style. The first steep had almost a sugar sweet, vanilla marshmallow flavor. Later steeps become more hay like and a bit more grassy. It has pretty good staying power and is a nice compliment to the overcast sky this afternoon. Quite enjoyable!

Oh and I went for a run/jog/walk/hike lol. It’s still too icy on the trails to be able to run, in spots it was so bad we had to hike up the steep slope in the bush to avoid it lol. But once it melts it will be a really nice trail, seems pretty safe too so I’m excited to hopefully get in a routine :) yay for spring, running and tea!

leaf in hot water

love running too! I hear you, icy is no fun when you have to keep stopping and circling around ice patches. looking forward to april running weather :)

This was the winner in today’s game of “Help Lariel select a tea” in the chat room. Teavivre was nice enough to send this so I could try more white teas. I get a mild floral/ honey scent. The flavour is pretty similar to scent, and still mild.

Not really my preference, but it was nice to try something different.

Second steep- Used a bit more leaf, and I like the floral flavour more.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Sweet

Thank you one more time, Angel and Teavivre, for the sample!

This is my second consecutive day of trying out a white tea. I was quite pleased with the one I sampled yesterday so I was hoping for a similar experience today.

When I opened the sample package, the leaves were long, wide, green, and fresh looking. The aroma was rich and grainy and perhaps a little sweet.

I steeped the leaves for five minutes at 195 degrees (no 194-degree setting on my tea maker). Even with maximum steeping time, the color was a very light (almost transparent) yellow. The faint brewed odor was slightly sweet with a hay-like quality.

The taste was not robust but it was ample and sweet. As I swished the liquor around my mouth, flashes of fresh hay, grass, and honey registered on my palate.

The more I sipped this tea, the more I liked it. The brew was quite smooth without any hint of astringency. The mild flavor seemed to increase its presence as I journeyed toward the bottom of my cup. By the time I finished my first cup, I had achieved enjoyment status. The aftertaste was delicate but also smooth and likable.

As a white tea, this one is quite good. I didn’t find any undesirable characteristics. My only recommendation would be to bring out this fine selection with lunch, dinner, or dessert. There was nothing wrong with it at 8:00 AM, but I personally depend on the stronger and more robust teas at that time of the morning to jerk me out of my sleepy stupor.

Flavors: Cut grass, Hay, Honey

Sipdown! (107)

I find that I enjoy this one much more with a 1-minute steep instead of a 2-minute one. That odd metallic taste is nowhere to be found and it’s lovely and grainy and hay-like. Yummy! :)

Sounds delicious.

“Three minutes was a very sufficient length of time, as the tea is full without any astringency of which to speak!

“The aftertaste is pleasant, clean, yet still full, and it lingers in the mouth…I believe that the freshness of the leaves adds a lot to the experience, and I highly recommend trying this one sooner, rather than later.”

Full review coming tomorrow to

I’d like to thank Angel & Teavivre for sharing a generous sample of this tea, as well as the white tea cake I sampled earlier today. This is a really delicate looking tea, & I poured the entire sample into my glass test tube steeper, giving it 1 min at 194, with a few resteeps. The original steeping was really very nice, & I’m guessing that the reason this is called peony is because of the floral taste of it. It is floral, and more flavorful that I recall white teas being, so either I’m sampling better more flavorful white teas, or I’m getting the proper parameters down, or maybe I’m actually developing a taste for white tea? Either way, I enjoyed the initial cup, & the resteeps were also ok, although they gradually took on a little bitterness.