Organic White Peony (Bai Mu Dan) Tea

White Tea
Flowers, Honey, Peach, Sweet, Grass, Hay, Floral, Cut grass, Grain, Mineral, Straw, Cucumber
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I went out to lunch and for tea with a friend today (blog post coming soon). The tea I choose was a raw pu-erh and it was fairly bitter for me. When I got home, I just felt like having...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2542 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Teavivre for the sample! This tea was very relaxing today. I even found it evoked some vivid memories in my mind. I didn't find it as flavourful as other Bai Mu Dan's I've tried, but I...” Read full tasting note
    DaisyChubb 505 tasting notes
  • “Ok, time to try this one again. I'm still finding this pretty bitter, but I think I'm able to identify the taste a bit better. There are slight floral notes, and I want to say something verging...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2175 tasting notes
  • “Ah, white tea, my old nemesis. Hah, not really, but still, I haven't had a ton of luck with white teas in the past. Not that I have brewed white teas that I've actively disliked or couldn't finish...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2007 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Organically grown at Mt. Taimu in Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Made from one or two leaf buds covered with fine downy white hairs

Harvest time: March, 2011 (2012 New Version of this tea is available now, which is harvest on April 5 – April 10)

Taste: A delicate, slightly flowery, sweet, lingering taste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: White Peony tea undergoes minimal processing and so it retains all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that all white teas are renowned for.

Certifications: The particular Organic White Peony (Bai MuDan) tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU, JAS organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

now that I can drink tea as my throat feels better I will do a full review as per deal with teavivre:

this tea when dry smells like flowers and peaches :)

when I smell the tea leaves when wet, it smells like flowers too

when I taste the tea it tastes like flowers and honey :D

many thanks to angel tevivre for this amazing tea

Flavors: Flowers, Honey, Peach, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 g 25 OZ / 750 ML

I thought it would be fun to steep a white tea gong fu-style, so I opted to try this tea out. Thanks for the sample, Angel!! I’ve had a white tea gong fu-style at Samovar, but they used too much leaf, in my opinion, and the steeps came out bitter. For this session, I used probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the sample packet with the recommended 194-degree water. I did a super quick rinse just to wet the leaves, and then steeped it 15/30/45/60/90/180sec. The first steep was similar in taste to other white peony teas I’ve tried before…sweet hay notes. This one, however, was smoother than others I’ve had. Sometimes the hay note kind of causes a drying feeling in my mouth, but I didn’t really have that with this tea. In the second steep, the hay note moved to the background and a pleasant peach taste came through! There was also a bit of a vegetal note, similar to what I find in green oolongs. In the later steeps, that vegetal note came through as sweet zucchini! Nice and light and great for hot weather (which we can’t seem to get rid of around here!)

A big thanks to the lovely Angel at Teavivre for this free sample! I am slowly but surely getting through all these samples.. :D

The dry smell of this one is quite lovely. Honey, with a hay note I find in quite a few white teas. Sweet and soft for this lazy Sunday morning (massively cleaned the house yesterday, maybe today I can devote some time to tea reviews haha). I am steeping for 3 minutes for this first cup at around 194 degrees as per Teavivre’s directions (1-5 mins recommended). The leaves were a bit broken up, mostly flat leaves, but a lot of them in each packet! I am using approximately 1/3 to 1/4 of the first packet. The steeped scent is a light honey/crystal sugar smell, not as much hay. It is quite pleasing and light, I like the smell for a first Sunday cup!

As for the flavor, this is a very light white tea, with notes of mild hay and a slightly sweet, honeyed taste. I detected a slightly cooling flavor as well, almost a mint-like sensation, but no mint flavor, more of a grass note.

Overall, this is a pretty mild and inoffensive tea. It isn’t wowing me per say, but it’s a pretty standard white tea that I will have no trouble drinking, as it tastes like a solid, dependable choice for a white tea. It is light and refreshing, and the hint of sweet is quite nice. I actually am drinking it quite fast as it’s easy to drink and satisfying. Not a bad little tea! Thanks again Teavivre for the opportunity to try this tea! Might keep it in my cupboard as a standard, reliable white tea for when I just want to relax with a simple cup, not too complicated, but still quite good :)

Flavors: Grass, Hay, Honey

This was the winner in today’s game of “Help Lariel select a tea” in the chat room. Teavivre was nice enough to send this so I could try more white teas. I get a mild floral/ honey scent. The flavour is pretty similar to scent, and still mild.

Not really my preference, but it was nice to try something different.

Second steep- Used a bit more leaf, and I like the floral flavour more.

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Sweet

Thank you one more time, Angel and Teavivre, for the sample!

This is my second consecutive day of trying out a white tea. I was quite pleased with the one I sampled yesterday so I was hoping for a similar experience today.

When I opened the sample package, the leaves were long, wide, green, and fresh looking. The aroma was rich and grainy and perhaps a little sweet.

I steeped the leaves for five minutes at 195 degrees (no 194-degree setting on my tea maker). Even with maximum steeping time, the color was a very light (almost transparent) yellow. The faint brewed odor was slightly sweet with a hay-like quality.

The taste was not robust but it was ample and sweet. As I swished the liquor around my mouth, flashes of fresh hay, grass, and honey registered on my palate.

The more I sipped this tea, the more I liked it. The brew was quite smooth without any hint of astringency. The mild flavor seemed to increase its presence as I journeyed toward the bottom of my cup. By the time I finished my first cup, I had achieved enjoyment status. The aftertaste was delicate but also smooth and likable.

As a white tea, this one is quite good. I didn’t find any undesirable characteristics. My only recommendation would be to bring out this fine selection with lunch, dinner, or dessert. There was nothing wrong with it at 8:00 AM, but I personally depend on the stronger and more robust teas at that time of the morning to jerk me out of my sleepy stupor.

Flavors: Cut grass, Hay, Honey

Sipdown! (107)

I find that I enjoy this one much more with a 1-minute steep instead of a 2-minute one. That odd metallic taste is nowhere to be found and it’s lovely and grainy and hay-like. Yummy! :)

Cheri

Sounds delicious.

“Three minutes was a very sufficient length of time, as the tea is full without any astringency of which to speak!

“The aftertaste is pleasant, clean, yet still full, and it lingers in the mouth…I believe that the freshness of the leaves adds a lot to the experience, and I highly recommend trying this one sooner, rather than later.”

Full review coming tomorrow to CreateWriteDrink.com.

I’d like to thank Angel & Teavivre for sharing a generous sample of this tea, as well as the white tea cake I sampled earlier today. This is a really delicate looking tea, & I poured the entire sample into my glass test tube steeper, giving it 1 min at 194, with a few resteeps. The original steeping was really very nice, & I’m guessing that the reason this is called peony is because of the floral taste of it. It is floral, and more flavorful that I recall white teas being, so either I’m sampling better more flavorful white teas, or I’m getting the proper parameters down, or maybe I’m actually developing a taste for white tea? Either way, I enjoyed the initial cup, & the resteeps were also ok, although they gradually took on a little bitterness.

I received some white tea samples for review from Teavivre the other day and on this nearly rainy Saturday I am sitting down with the beau to try this one out. Thanks Teavivre! We are brewing Western style according to the Teavivre directions with the full packet of leaves at 90 degrees for about a minute. We’ve got three samples of each tea, so we can try with a gaiwan at another time. For now, my liquor is a light yellow and smells faintly of hay and maybe something cucumber related, but I think that is because I accidentally saw the flavours list on Steepster before beginning my review.

Since it only steeped at 90, I am able to try it fairly quickly. This is the advantage of lower temp teas, I swear! First sips are mild. A light note of hay but not as sweet as the green oolong I had the other day. It is flavourful but light, if that makes sense. Not like weak tea or lightly favoured water but not a bold flavour either. My non-tea drinking brothers might not find any taste here at all, but the beau and I do. It is hard to describe, but hay and a bit of floral are present. I always worry that people will think hay means unpleasant, but it’s not. I love the smell of fresh hay. I am getting some residual sweetness that I think is a result of my earlier Jolly Rancher. Whoops.

The beau reports: “This is good. I like it. It has less of the earthy taste you get in other whites. More like jasmine but less in your face.” He says it has “a hint” of floral. I don’t notice, but I rarely do. We both like it, he more than I as whites are more his forte. For me, as a Chinese black tea drinker, this is a nice cuppa occasionally but not something I’m likely to enjoy regularly. He says it might be under-steeped and isn’t strong enough to get a high rating from him right now. I will do another steep in a bit and put a number on it after that one. I think he is right and a bit more time would have boosted the profile here. Will report back then!

EDIT: Second steep was forgotten in the pot which yielded a more flavourful brew but (surprisingly) no bitterness. It was enjoyable, but maybe a bit too much white tea in one day for me.

Flavors: Floral, Hay

Inspired by the review from Uniquity and accompanied by not enjoying giving a negative review – I am trying this one again today. First, I don’t mind giving a negative review of crappy tea, if it is crappy tea. In my opinion, once you reach a certain level of quality it should not happen. It is generally a matter of taste preference or bad preparation. I have always been impressed with Teavivre in the past. Yesterday, this turned out just bitter.

My problem with this one was mostly how I brewed it. Today I am doing it my way. Half the sample (2.5g) and 10 oz water heated to 180F. I steeped 1 minute. The liquor is clear, bright, and yellow. The taste is dry and reminds me of the dehydrated camellia flowers. I liked them because they were different. I find this very flavorful with strong cucumber/melon notes and a wood pulp flavor – not the negative version of yesterday, but a very nice one. There is a sort of floral note hanging around, or maybe I imagine it because I expect it. The aftertaste is lingering and mouthwatering. It also seems much sweeter in the aftertaste. No bitterness. No astringency that I notice.

It is not as powerful and deep as Silver Needle but then it is half the price. Messing with the parameters I find this to be quite pleasant. My one negative that I found again today that I did not mention here yesterday is the leaf. It looks like mulch. I don’t recall a Teavivre tea that was not beautiful full leaf. I thought my previous sample had been crushed or something but this one is the same way. This is mostly tiny broken pieces. Any one else notice the same thing?

ashmanra

First of all, I have already “liked” all of these posts and once again they have been erased from existence. I really am reading reviews!

Next, I haven’t had this one, but a neighbor gave me a shou mei for Christmas a couple of years ago and I was really taken aback by the appearance, it seriously looked like someone had raked their yard and then shoved the leaves in a little tin. It was a decent enough tasting tea, though. I can’t say the pieces just terrible small, though. It could easily have been the pile from under my dogwood. Very strange to brew!

mj

Sometimes my likes disappear too, but then if I refresh the page, they’re back. Steepster is so glitchy

K S

I’m having the same problem keeping track of what I have and haven’t read.

No one else has mentioned this leaf looking like mulch. I just really never expected it here. In fact the website pic looks like whole leaf. Just seems strange. I should contact Angel or Mary and ask.