Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea – Golden Tip

Apricot, Baked Bread, Bergamot, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Stonefruits, Nuts, Sweet Potatoes, Cocoa, Chocolate, Yams, Creamy, Grain, Nutty, Smoke, Caramel, Flowers, Leather, Earth, Loam, Molasses, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “When I raised the blind in my office this morning it was early daylight. It is in the mid 30’s and I could see frost covering the roof of the building next door. Southern Indiana has beautiful...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1251 tasting notes
  • “Tea of the morning..... I am down to the dregs of my first 50 grams of this tea. (Luckily, my pack rat tendencies had me purchase 100 grams from the outset!) It is wonderfully caramelly, sweet...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes
  • “A little over a year ago, *Teavivre* sent a sample of this tea. Like so many others, I found that I had to have it, and finally placed my order a couple of months ago. One funny thing - a friend...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1798 tasting notes
  • “It's been a busy day, so no real tasting notes on this, but I've reviewed it plenty of times. It's a lovely buttery rich brew, no astringency, smooth & sweet, & I can drink it on an empty stomach...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: orange pekoe colored buds

Harvest time: March 25, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 185 ºF (85 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: A good source of antioxidants and so will help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I finally decided to make iced tea with ‘real’ tea rather than the generic black tea that got sent to me with the iced tea maker. I didn’t follow instructions at all. What I did was use my Breville to brew 1200 ml of tea with ~2tsp per cup (5ish cups). Then I poured it into the iced tea pitcher (which filled it up completely), then put it in the fridge for…a while. Kinda forgot about it for a few days. Then a couple of minutes ago I put in ~7 spoonfuls of sugar (using the special flat sugar spoon) and then filled a cup with ice and put tea in it.

First assessment, good amount of sugar. Second assessment, very strong tea. Tea tastes comes out clearly. Very clearly. It’s not…bad, just very strong. Will probably tastes less strong as the ice melts, if I let it melt before drinking it. It’s wicked hot so that might not happen. On the upside, it does actually taste like TEA rather than “iced tea flavour” which really isn’t tea-tasting at all, for my taste buds. “Iced Tea flavour” doesn’t taste bad per se, just doesn’t taste like TEA. This tastes like tea.

That said, I haven’t decided whether I like it this strong or not, but I have a whole quart of it to go through so I’ll probably decide by the end of all that.

So we had another tea face off. This is my favorite. It’s pretty much what I was hoping to get but just a tad bit better. I wanted some thing to replace tarantula tea since it was discontinued.

This is malty and velvety smooth. The depth of character here calls up the word earthy in my mind. This tea ends so nicely with chocolate and honey like sweet notes. This is truly and enjoyable cup.

tigress_al

I didn’t really get the chocolate notes from this, but it is definitely velvety smooth. I must not have steeped it long enough. I will have to try 3 minutes.

Autumn Hearth

Yep I got the exact opposite of everything you described both in a gongfu and a 1 min infusion, not that it was bad it was just light and had really high tippy and well buddy notes, and honey. So I shall try 3 mins as well, with the husband, and the mother-in-law who is coming this today for the weekend, oh boy better get back to cleaning!

Missy

I’ve not had a tea get bitter on me from teavivre, so I pushed it to the long end of the suggested steeping time. I mostly wanted to see what would come out. My next experiment shall be gongfu like autumn.

lol good luck miss Autumn with cleaning. :D

Giving this another go-around and finishing up the sample packet I have at work. After 3 minutes of steeping I am at least getting a hint of fruitiness, but the flavor is still lacking.

I decided to keep the strainer in and steep this for a ridiculously long amount of time to see if I could coax out some more flavor. 6 minutes in and there are some slight green bean and chocolate notes. At least it does not get astringent.

9 minutes in and this tea actually gets a flavor! The chocolate becomes a stronger and the green beans last into the aftertaste. Still pretty smooth in the mouth and only a teensy bit of astringency.

Kittenna

November?

Thomas Edward(Toad)

November rain is good to, that’s just all I could think of at the time was just November, not sure why but this one just reminded me of the fall time cool breeze, dead leaves falling everywhere, acorn squash in the oven, pumpkins in the yard ect. I’m not even sure if I tasted the tea cuz I just kinda zoned out while drinking it. Lance enjoyed it also I think.

LiberTEAS

I love how tea can do that. How it can just transport you to another time and/or place, just by sipping it and experiencing the flavors. I think this is why I love tea so much. It doesn’t require much to just escape everything for just a moment, if allowed a cup of good tea.

kOmpir

Sipping at the moment.

First of all, I have to say that JacquelineM put it the best with her tasting note of this same tea. It’s just spot-on, and I think everyone should read it and then go buy this awesome tea. It seems like everyone who’s added a tasting note to this one Steepster can at least agree that it’s a 4-5 star Chinese black.

That said, one thing that seems to be missing from some of the other tasting notes about this tea are the floral aspects. On the forefront, you get the tea (a nice black with maybe a little oiliness?). Then, you get the crusty sweet potatoes baked with a touch of orange juice (mentioned by JacquelineM). Finally, you get a mouth full of flowers (not over-the-top, but just right). It’s beautiful, and I’m really enjoying my last 4 cups of it with these spicy noodles right now. :o)

ScottTeaMan

Based on the number oh high reviws, I am considering ordering this from Teavivre. It looks delicious!

ScottTeaMan

I tend to like Yunan teas anyway. :)

The Tea Show

I would definitely order some Scott. This is the second tea I’ve tried from Tea Vivre, and both were amazing. They really seem to offer good quality teas.

I don’t drink much black tea (too much caffeine for me), but if I did – I’d buy some of this myself!

ScottTeaMan

So what do you and Lisa tend to drink? I drink pretty much anything.

The Tea Show

Lisa prefers coffee over tea, and she usually just drinks coffee throughout the week. Every weekend, she tries a tea on The Tea Show, and sometimes that’s the only tea she drinks all week.

I like black tea in the morning and generally drink green tea throughout the rest of the day. Right now, I have a kilo of Darjeeling and a kilo of Japanese Sencha from Upton that I’m working on. When that runs out, I’ll probably buy a kilo of Chinese Sencha for my green and some Keemun for my black. Other than that, I’m always sampling things. ;)

ScottTeaMan

What Darjeeling ….wow I’ve never bought a kilo of tea at one time!

The Tea Show

I actually ended up getting a kilo of Upton’s Rohini Estate FTGFOP1 Cl. Second Flush. It’s funny you should ask, you can actually read all about my decision here: http://healthyprofessionals.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/help-empty-cups-in-palm-springs-darjeeling-advice-needed/
In the end, I’m enjoying the Rohini estate. It’s good tea, but I think I’ll be ordering a kilo of something else the next time around. Also, maybe just a half-kilo of black and a kilo of green. I’ve been drinking less black tea than ever lately.

ScottTeaMan

I really liked the Rohini Estate! I had some of Upton’s FF they offered a few years ago. Nice, tippy leaf, a flowery sweet cup, and reasonably priced too.

ScottTeaMan

I just Fav’d your HP Tea page. I’ll check back, but I guess it’s too late for comments on that Darjeeling. HHHmmm …..Sencha infused ice cubes. I like it. :))

The Tea Show

Yeah, the Rohini isn’t too shabby. It’s a great bargain for a good tea. Thanks for favorite-ing our page! :) Sencha cubes are fun! :))

1 tsp even for 5 oz

OK, trying this side by side with Adagio Yunnan Gold.

It’s obvious which is the better quality. The dry leaves have the same colors, but the Teavivre is slightly more neatly rolled. The Teavivre has more aroma, and the Teavivre liquor is clear and coppery red while the Adagio liquor is cloudy and orange.

Teavivre is more flavorful and smoother. Enough said.

I really enjoy all of Teavivre’s teas. Especially the black teas and pu erhs. This one is lovely. Kind of malty and bold but with a sweetness to it. Light hints of cocoa and sweet potato. Mmm :)

Stephanie

They are really good for blacks and pu’s!

Lariel

Don’t think I’ve tried that one yet. Sounds good though.

I feel like I wasted half my sample – I didn’t realize that I was supposed to steep this at 85C and so I dumped my poor leaves into boiling water as I would most black teas.

/0\ Ok. Never assume anything. Let’s move on.

This tastes fine by the way, but I’m not rating/reviewing until I do it “properly”.

KittyLovesTea

This is one of my favourite teas of all time. The lower steep really smooths out the malted flavour and sweetens it up. :)

KittyLovesTea

I meant to say lower temp steep.

I’m still new to unflavored black tea and I have to say that there’s a lot more too it than I expected. I wasn’t aware that so many different flavors and layers of complexity could be present in black teas. I guess the reason for that is just the fact that whenever I thought of black tea, some kind of bagged English breakfast was always what popped into my mind. And because of my expectations, when I first opened my sample bag of Teavivre’s bailin gongfu black I was blown away. I actually felt a rush of adrenaline from the excitement in knowing that I was in for a treat and a surprise. I was shocked. Upon opening this sample bag provided for me in my second round of Teavivre samples, I experienced a flashback to that moment of awakening. The leaves are beautiful. Part rich cocoa color, but mostly a rustic gold composing the beautiful twists of leaf. The golden color of the leaves is much like the amber glow pouring in through my windows just before sunset this evening. Before I got into loose-leaf tea, I NEVER would have thought that “black” tea could look this way, and to be honest I still don’t understand what causes this to happen, but it sure is cool. Now on to the taste. All of what I taste in this tea has been said before. Mostly cocoa, a little malty, with little hints of sweet potato and honey intermingled. Also, there is a definite genuine sweetness to it when I allow it to sit in my mouth for a bit and let it touch different parts of my tongue (as strange as that may sound). It is delicious, and it’s a perfect end to a not-so-good day.

Bonnie

This is a good one!

Today I lowered the steep time to 3 minutes and used a lower water temperature that yielded a beautiful, smooth and flavorful brew. Truly one of the finest teas I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. I am getting that fresh baked flavor with a lovely good morning tea buzz that is not over the top with caffeine. Teavivre should be very proud of this one….