Premium Jasmine Dragon Pearls Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

3 Images

• “SIPDOWN! I got up at 5 am to keep an eye on the new hen. When they are adjusting the pecking order, sometimes the newcomer or the smallest hen will get beaten up, but they have behaved themselves...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “Back to floral teas, eh? I am very excited to try this one because I loooove jasmine pearls. My favorite so far has been Harney & Sons, but I honestly haven't gotten to try too many different ones...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “Sip down :( I spent the day with this most marvelous of teas. I remember when Angel first offered it to me. I almost turned it down. In fact I did turn down another jasmine green she offered. I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1161 tasting notes
  • “I am anxiously waiting for my next Teavivre samples, so I decided to drink my favourite of their teas today, this is still my free sample I recieved in march. I am upping the rating to 100 because...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fuding, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Made from one bud and one new leaf, with obvious silver tips, hand rolled into a pearl shape

Harvest time: Hand-picked on April 15, 2013

Taste: A bold sweet tea, with a subtle jasmine aroma

Brew: 1 teaspoon for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Jasmine Dragon Pearl is a premium green tea, and so gives you all the great health benefits of any green tea. In addition it is also widely believed in China that the jasmine flowers themselves add some additional benefits, helping reduce depression and also helping with natural detoxification of the body.

About Teavivre View company

Wow, this was sweet – almost candy-like. One of the things that I always like about jasmine pearls is that you never need as much leaf as most other green teas to get a good flavor. It’s also one of the things that I forget the most and usually end up with super jasmine-y tea. Which in this case is yummy. This is probably a tie with the Bailin Gongfu for my favorite of the TeaVivre samples.

I have been sick all this week. When you’re sick, your tastebuds aren’t up to par, and so I’ve been drinking a lot of mediocre teas since I don’t want to waste all my good teas. Since Teavivre is having an upcoming sale on these jasmine pearls, though, I decided to try them to see what I think. I don’t need more tea, and I’ll probably resist buying them, but if they were absolutely amazing I wanted to know.

They are definitely very good. Jasmine pearls are one of my favorite teas, and this is very nice. The flavor is subtle, but I only steeped it for a minute, so we’ll have to see what happens when I steep it for a whopping 2 minutes next time.

I do feel a little bad giving this tea a rating when I’m sick and I’m not 100%, but I suppose it’s all right.

CupofTree

feel better soon! I do the same when sick and usually end up really enjoying less favorite bland teas.

Babble

Thanks. I’m slowly starting to feel better. But at least it gives me an opportunity to give my bland teas a try, right?

Free sample provided by Teavivre for review

I don’t have Jasmine tea often, but when I do, I want good stuff. This, my friends, is the good stuff. After putting up with lousy bags in Asian restaurants, I bought some loose leaf from Ten Ren tea-which was okay, but it went very bitter in just a couple of months. I had a good experience with Imperial Republic pearls from RoT and I was hoping to build on that with this tea.

The pearls are very tightly rolled and a little bigger than RoT’s (which are BB-sized), but smaller than say, Fenqing Dragon Pearls (which are closer to marble-sized). The aroma is a wonderful and natural jasmine. The liquor is very pale with more yellow than green hues. The jasmine is pronounced, but it does not seem like you are smelling or drinking perfume. The tea and the jasmine fuse very well together in the flavor. I have had two delicious steeps so far and may go for a third.

I know that I will never compromise with inferior Jasmine tea again and I consider Teavivre’s Jasmine Pearls one of my very top choices for quality Jasmine tea.

TeaBrat

I don’t really care a lot for jasmine tea, but cheap jasmine tea is the WORST!

Scott B

It’s funny that I don’t really care for floral notes in FF Darjeeling, but I like the floral in jasmine and you really enjoy the floral notes in FF but don’t care too much for jasmine.

TeaBrat

I like the way jasmine smells, but it can have a bitter, almost soapy quality that messes up my stomach. I did like this one from Teavivre though.

Okay, so I may have steeped this one a little too short (or so said my husband), but I am always horridly afraid of oversteeping green tea, because all it takes is a few seconds for green teas to turn from perfect to omgbitternastywhatdidIjustputinmymouth.

Sue me. I planned to resteep anyway. xP

Leaf (or in this case, pearl) description: A good size, rolled a little more loosely than I’ve seen in the past. Good distribution of the jasmine leaves and the silver tips throughout all of the pearls, as far as I can tell. Very pleasant smell!
Brew description: After steeping (see time below), the liquor was a pale spring green color, with a hint of butter color, which became more like an amber near the bottom of the pot. I didn’t stir like my husband and I usually do—I wanted to see what would happen.

No sweeteners were added or necessary.

First steep: WOW! This was so much different than most other green teas I have ever tried. The first sip put me in this extremely (pardon the expression, there’s really no better word for it) zen kind of mood, vigorously awake and yet calm as still water. It was almost as if I’d been put under a spell. The jasmine is so delicious, not bitter at all, and the ‘green tea’ flavor was simply sublime!

My review on the second steep will have to wait until next post; I haven’t had the time yet, but I will definitely make the time! I will have to consider this one for my favorite jasmine tea of all time. (Teavana’s Thousand Mountain Jasmine, which I’m not entirely sure if they stole from one of those companies they absorbed, is my current favorite, but we’ll see.)

Aiko

I do love that “zen” feeling you get from certain teas. Jasmine especially seems to do that for me.

Have you tried Adagio’s jasmine pearls (the reasonably priced ones, not the super-expensive “masters” ones)? Those were my first intro to jasmine pearls and I’ve been thinking of looking into others.. just wondered if you knew how they compared :>

teataku

I haven’t tried them, sadly. I’m actually an Adagio virgin. waits for the gasps of shock and horror

Dylan Oxford

Heh, I was going to ask you how they compared to Teavana’s pearls :). It’s starting to sound like a jewelry shop in here!

teataku

Teavana’s are more tightly woven, I find, and they’re probably good for a few more steeps, but the flavor of these is much richer. More jasmine, but not bitter or plant-y at all. The green tea is very buttery. I haven’t had Teavana’s pearls in a while, so my memory may not be doing them justice. xD

A surprising tea. Especially for a girl that isn’t particularly big on jasmine teas.

Video Review: http://iheartteas.teatra.de/2012/01/video-tea-review-jasmine-dragon-pearls-green-tea-teavivre/

Azzrian

Love the video reviews! You speak very well – clear, easy to understand, great sound quality! I have terrible speakers and can hear you so well!

I was really surprised by the scent of this tea, opening the package. I’ve had a fair number of very nice jasmine teas and dragon pearls at this point, and my previous aversion to what I thought of as a soapy flavour has been overturned. With slight variances, they largely smell and taste the same. This one, though, instantly came across very markedly sweet. Very floral, but with a candy-like sweetness. It translated into the flavour in what is probably the freshest-tasting, least perfumey jasmine tea I’ve had to date.

I still don’t find this the most exciting type of tea, personally, but Teavivre’s is the nicest dragon pearls I’ve had. Several pearls yielded three great big flavourful infusions, too.

Amariel

This is the one I’m most scared of trying (the only one I haven’t) because I am sensitive to florals. Bet then, I’ve had jasmine teas before, and lived, so why am I scared? It’s just tea. And I have a supply of headache meds. So maybe I’ll try it soon.

Jessie

Oh, no! I get illogical fears about trying some teas, but thankfully none have given me headaches. I hope it works for you if you try it!

Since I just had Teavivre’s other jasmine tea yesterday, I’m going to compare the two.

First impression, yum! These are quite similar teas, but I’m detecting a heavier sweetness to these pearls. The jasmine is again very nice and very well executed, but the pearls seem a little less floral than the Mo Li Yin Hao. The green tea is also more absent.

With both teas, I started out with a 1.5 minute steep and increased subsequent steeps by 30 seconds. They both held up to multiple infusions equally well. However, I am detecting a tad more astringency. I remember the Mo Li Yin Hao getting astringent at the end of the third cup. But the astringency appeared in the pearls halfway through the first cup.

I don’t want to be too critical. It’s still a delicious cup of tea. I think I just prefer the other one. The Mo Li Yin Hao was just so perfectly balanced. Still, this tea wins out on cuteness.

How adorable are these little tiny pearls??! I’ve never had jasmine pearls before, so I’m glad I finally got to see what all the hype is about. They’re much smaller than I expected, but they unfurl really beautifully. I’m not sure what pearls have to do with dragons though…Perhaps they hoard them?

Overall, a very nice tea experience tonight. Very relaxing after an incredibly stressful couple of days.

Ninavampi

Hope your days become less stressful! : )

CHAroma

Thank you! They already have. Sometimes life gets you down, but that’s why God made tea. :)

KeenTeaThyme

Jasmine pearls are…God’s gift. ;) I love, love, love them – alone or in blends.

Like Liz, I’m always amazed at the work that goes into preparing dry teas like this one.

The dry “pearls” are redolent with the scent of the flowers. It is like being in a flower shop, blooming meadow or a perfume counter — if you’re into that kind of thing.

The steeped cup is no less floral. In a way, more so. Fresh flowers instead of dried flowers.

The liqueur is a delicate pale.

Happily, the cup is far less floral in the mouth than on the nose — less room to move around or something. There is a big, thick sweetness to this tea.

Jasmine teas are never going to be my thing. But this is a very good one and I’m glad I tried it so that I can confirm that the issue really just is the flowers, not the quality of the tea hiding under them.

I haven’t always been a fan of floral teas. Over time, I’ve begun to develop a fondness for jasmine, osmanthus, and orchid scented teas. I still don’t care much for rose scented teas because rose tea tastes like the smell of old lady perfume… blerg.

Jasmine “Dragon Pearls” Green Tea is a damn fine jasmine scented tea. The green tea is very high quality and the jasmine flavor is distinct but subtle. I thoroughly enjoyed my sample and I’m very grateful to Angel for sending it to me.

A review of Jasmine “Dragon Pearls”by Teavivre

Region: Fujian China
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: light amber/yellowish orange
Leaf Characteristics: very tight buds / pellets like and when immerse in water the leave unfold to become string like or small ropes.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 176 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

I received this tea with several other teas from Teavivre and I am finally taking the time to sample some of their teas. I am not a fan of Jasmine tea; so with this in mind, I cut open the tea sample and scoop out 1 teaspoon of the small pearl like buds and put this is my tea mug and add the boiling water to the cup. I cover and leave it to steep for two minutes.

After the allotted time I remove the saucer and find that the leaves are now: fine, small loose strings; more like coils of rope, short ones. It is kind of scary when looking at this in my cup. So I am imagining more bad things to come my way since I seem to be paying back or time to give back pass dues. The story by Steinbeck “The Pearl” comes to mind.

My in-laws enjoy dispensing justice of me since I am hardest of hearing.

Anyhow, I sip this tea reluctantly since the jasmine fragrant is strong and over powering. It is heady and must be left alone, perhaps for another time.

Thank you, Teavivre, for sending this tea along for me to sample. It is a lovely and very famous tea, I am just sorry that I cannot find enjoyment in the tasting and smelling of this tea.