Organic Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This is my second Tie Guan Yin, the first from my local farmer’s market. I’ve been wanting to get into oolong, and I think I’ve found the first that I truly like. This oolong is...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 522 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is so so so GOOD!! There you have it… my first reaction. Now lets examine this more calmly…. So FRIGGING Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “a quick note on the fly here. i stuffed this entire immense sample into my steeping basket. it was excellent!!! lychee notes, bamboo notes, very smooth. lovely clear steep, tiny bit of sugar added....” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 383 tasting notes
  • “This is my first experience with any Tie Guan Yin. So what happens now? Do I get inducted into the Brother and Sisterhood of Tea? Am I knighted, given the Order of the Dragon? Any of that?...” Read full tasting note
    devvyleys 63 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Zhangzhou, Fujian, China

Ingredients and Appearance: jade colored leaves (hand-made into small, rolled up)

Harvest time: Hand-picked in May, 2011
(2012 New Version harvest in May, 2012)

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being lightly fermented, contained high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

Certifications: The particular Organic Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

This is so delicious. It is mellow, and subtle, and full, and everything a good oolong should be. YUM.

There is this time in spring when jasmine bushes and bird cherry blooms and the scent is so thick you can drink it. The first thought when sipping this tea was that now I truly can. Completely different from Verdant’s TGY with its buttery/floral backgound this one is like a cup of flower essence.

A great sample I received from Teavivre. I set up a proper tasting with degustation sets for each of the teas. Well, I didn’t do the traditional 6 minutes, but I did my best for the type of tea. Here’s my notes.

Dry leaf: rolled, but not really into balls. Irregular and with various stems. Perhaps this points to hand-rolling?
Brewing method: 3g, tasting set, 90 for 1 minute
Aroma: Very green aroma with a light touch of sweetness.
Infusion: Yellow-gold liquor.
Taste: Very light. Probably could be infused longer to good effect. Taste of spring flowers and grilled zucchini.

I infused this another time with a longer infusion to try and capture more flavor. It was much more bold, but still with a light body. Definitely good, and definitely a spring Oolong. I tend to lean toward winter harvests, myself, so perhaps this is just too young for me. I may let some rest in the packaging for a time to see if it improves (a trick taught to me by some tea friends in Taiwan).

The first time I tried this, I used a lower water temperature than suggested, because 212 just seemed too high. I wasn’t very fond of the result. I guess they know what they’re doing. :) Now that I’ve used boiling water, I like it. Sweet floral flavor, and the aftertaste lasts a while. I usually like darker oolongs, so this still isn’t a favorite, but for a lighter oolong, it is good.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
alexander&james tea co.

It’s interesting that a lighter oolong can take such a high temperature — our jin xuan is much more delicate, as it only takes about 185 F for it to brew correctly. I’ll have to try this! :)

Light Oolong that is yellowish green in color and has a floral roasted green veggie aroma. This tea has a light and sweet taste with a floral flavor with hints of gardenias and jasmine. It also has a little grassy flavor to it.

205 °F / 96 °C

Rolled, balled, with floral and vegetal scent, deep green leaves, unfurl in the cup. Give this fragrant tea time to steep. The scent in the cup is floral but deeper, more like a subtle incense with a vegetal green in the background. A good value

An interesting tea to say the least. I really understand now how so many can find it, ….. Fishy. It is fishy, but in a organic, herbal way. It lacks the shrp qualities of actual fish smell and boast a beautiful spread of earthy yet creamy aromas, really reminds me of the smell of coriander roots.