Organic Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea Leaves
Floral, Vegetal
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This is my second Tie Guan Yin, the first from my local farmer’s market. I’ve been wanting to get into oolong, and I think I’ve found the first that I truly like. This oolong is...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 559 tasting notes
  • “Oh, this is so so so GOOD!! There you have it… my first reaction. Now lets examine this more calmly…. So FRIGGING Read full tasting note
    Kamyria 125 tasting notes
  • “a quick note on the fly here. i stuffed this entire immense sample into my steeping basket. it was excellent!!! lychee notes, bamboo notes, very smooth. lovely clear steep, tiny bit of sugar added....” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 390 tasting notes
  • “This is my first experience with any Tie Guan Yin. So what happens now? Do I get inducted into the Brother and Sisterhood of Tea? Am I knighted, given the Order of the Dragon? Any of that?...” Read full tasting note
    devvyleys 63 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Zhangzhou, Fujian, China

Ingredients and Appearance: jade colored leaves (hand-made into small, rolled up)

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being lightly fermented, contained high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

Certifications: The particular Organic Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea that TeaVivre is selling, is guaranteed to be organically grown and produced, independently verified to meet USDA, EU organic certifications.

About Teavivre View company

This is so delicious. It is mellow, and subtle, and full, and everything a good oolong should be. YUM.

There is this time in spring when jasmine bushes and bird cherry blooms and the scent is so thick you can drink it. The first thought when sipping this tea was that now I truly can. Completely different from Verdant’s TGY with its buttery/floral backgound this one is like a cup of flower essence.

A great sample I received from Teavivre. I set up a proper tasting with degustation sets for each of the teas. Well, I didn’t do the traditional 6 minutes, but I did my best for the type of tea. Here’s my notes.

Dry leaf: rolled, but not really into balls. Irregular and with various stems. Perhaps this points to hand-rolling?
Brewing method: 3g, tasting set, 90 for 1 minute
Aroma: Very green aroma with a light touch of sweetness.
Infusion: Yellow-gold liquor.
Taste: Very light. Probably could be infused longer to good effect. Taste of spring flowers and grilled zucchini.

I infused this another time with a longer infusion to try and capture more flavor. It was much more bold, but still with a light body. Definitely good, and definitely a spring Oolong. I tend to lean toward winter harvests, myself, so perhaps this is just too young for me. I may let some rest in the packaging for a time to see if it improves (a trick taught to me by some tea friends in Taiwan).

Teavivre generously shipped me this and other varieties in their line to sample. The little balls the leaves are hand rolled into are quite pretty. It has a lovely yellow-green colour brewed up and the leaves have a light toasted aroma to them. Overall, the aroma and flavour of the tea is more floral than toasted though. It has a nice elegance to it, a good merge of both floral and vegetal accents. My only point of critique is a minor aftertaste which seems just a little soapy or perfumey.

Flavors: Floral, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

This is a part of a tasting activity. Free sample received. Thank you, Angel.

Prepared 4g in a 60ml porcelain gaiwan, then transferred the leaf to 120ml of the same material. Followed the website’s steeping times: 20 seconds, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. I went with a couple more extended steepings at 4 minutes, 8, and 10 (gotta get it all out).

Going against my expectation, the dry leaf didn’t have much scent, even after resting in the pre-heated gaiwan. The leaf weakly smelled floral and a little buttery and bread-like. The wet leaf aroma is much, much stronger – very floral, evocative of a summer field.

The liquor is pale yellow, full-bodied, clean, and creamy. Throughout the session, there were tiny bits of leaf at the bottom of my cup. The first couple cups are gently floral with a peach aftertaste. They feel easygoing. Beginning with the fourth cup, the flavor has fully developed. The aftertaste really fills the mouth, like a perfume trapped in a bottle. I simply can’t pinpoint specific flowers (I guess this means I have to give myself homework of smelling flowers….or I need to drink more Tie Guan Yin), so I go by feeling, and this very much feels like a bright mid-summer’s day spent in the midst of a wide field. I was relaxed and warmed on this overcast winter morning. Lastly, what is interesting is that, from the fifth cup to the end, the aftertaste changes from a refreshing peach to a cooling sensation.

I haven’t had a Tie Guan Yin in so many months. Lightly oxidized rolled Chinese oolongs don’t appeal to me. Not that I don’t like them – I do, but they’re not a niche I want to explore. That saying, I mostly enjoyed my session with this Tie Guan Yin (I’m little disappointed with the lack of aroma). Pleasant, sweet, floral, a little fruity, and – surprisingly – menthol-like. The floral aspect doesn’t taste powerful or perfumed. It’s just right.

Boiling 0 OZ / 0 ML

I had a late session with this tea last night because I was in the mood for an oolong.

I’ve started recording my sessions on a little MP3 recorder so that I don’t have the possibility of skipping anything during the session. I usually jot a brief note on the flavor profile, color, aroma; which can get quite perplex while writing a review (or in my case avoiding the reviewing part via Steepster due to incomprehensible notes).

However, this session ran short due to time/battery life in the device. I noted that there were nutty, floral, & mineral flavors. I also noted that this is a good TGY because it reminds me of other quality TGY that I’ve had int he past, so rated on the scale of “uniqueness” it’s pretty average. It’s a good TGY, but it’s something that I’ve had before.

Another generous sample from Angel This one isn’t up my alley but i can appreciate that those who like green oolongs might find this one particularly nice. slightly sweet, little vegetal but not overwhelmingly so. Thanks for the sample angel!

The first time I tried this, I used a lower water temperature than suggested, because 212 just seemed too high. I wasn’t very fond of the result. I guess they know what they’re doing. :) Now that I’ve used boiling water, I like it. Sweet floral flavor, and the aftertaste lasts a while. I usually like darker oolongs, so this still isn’t a favorite, but for a lighter oolong, it is good.

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
alexander&james tea co.

It’s interesting that a lighter oolong can take such a high temperature — our jin xuan is much more delicate, as it only takes about 185 F for it to brew correctly. I’ll have to try this! :)

Light Oolong that is yellowish green in color and has a floral roasted green veggie aroma. This tea has a light and sweet taste with a floral flavor with hints of gardenias and jasmine. It also has a little grassy flavor to it.

205 °F / 96 °C

Rolled, balled, with floral and vegetal scent, deep green leaves, unfurl in the cup. Give this fragrant tea time to steep. The scent in the cup is floral but deeper, more like a subtle incense with a vegetal green in the background. A good value