Premium Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Butter, Spinach, Toast, Vegetal, Vegetable Broth, Floral, Grass, Nutty, Sweet, Chestnut, Kale, Roasted, Caramel, Chicken Soup, Lima Beans, Orchids, Nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “A little insight into how truly strange I am – this morning on my way to work my inner Sheldon came out and I started wondering, if Spock drank tea what would he drink? Sad I know. Then I thought,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1317 tasting notes
  • “Needed something gentle. Talk about severe storms headed this way has gone on for several days and has rubbed my nerves raw. I may have to break down and pay a visit to the storm shelter builders...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1718 tasting notes
  • “I had to run errands for hubby and it is about 100 degrees outside. Youngest and I stopped at Taco Bell for takeout and she got a Baja Blast. Soda. Soda. Soda. Cold and bubbly. But I don't...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1828 tasting notes
  • “I was excited to get this one in my sample box because I recently tried a different dragon well and really enjoyed it. I am happy to say that this one has lived up to my expectations. Thanks...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1964 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Shifeng Mountain, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: Flattened one bud and one or two leaves

Harvest time: April 20, 2014

Taste: A subtle, rich, orchid like taste and aroma, with no hint of bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s XiHu Long Jing, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones. Long Jing tea is also widely renowned in China as a good tea to help calm the mind, cheer you up and clear your thinking.

About Teavivre View company

A little insight into how truly strange I am – this morning on my way to work my inner Sheldon came out and I started wondering, if Spock drank tea what would he drink? Sad I know. Then I thought, wouldn’t that make a great bit on Big Bang Theory? I can hear them point/counterpointing until agreement was reached. I’ve only seen a few episodes, they may have already had the debate.

My thoughts are he would not drink Earl Grey, or any flavored tea, with the possible exception of Jasmine Dragon Pearls. I would rule out black tea all together. I think he would go green or white. His logical side would be fascinated by complexity. My two choices would be Silver Needle white, or Dragon Well green. He is vegetarian, and while the white tea is subtle and meditative, I lean towards Dragon Well for its heartier layers of vegetal goodness. So in honor of Spock I lift up multiple cups today.

I mentioned this to a co-worker who just turned and walked away. Halfway up the hall he stopped, turned, and said, “I think his mother’s human side would come out and he would just drink Lipton black tea.” Say it isn’t so! Oh, wait do I detect sarcasm? I suspect he wasn’t taking this seriously. I do give him credit for trying to assimilate all aspects of the equation into his reasoning but that is specifically why I made room for the possible inclusion of Jasmine Dragon Pearls. Wasn’t that obvious?

To my fellow geeks that are still with me – this is true for northern hemisphere dwellers, not sure it all applies below the equator. This is for April 2012. Go outside tonight just after the sun goes down. The bright ‘star’ high in the western sky is Venus. Below it near the horizon and much dimmer but still bright is Jupiter. Easily seen even in twilight. As it gets darker turn East and high in the sky, the moderately bright red ‘star’ is Mars. Now turn southwest. The three stars in a row are Orion’s belt. The bright red star above it is Betelgeuse (beetle juice) and below the belt is Rigel. It’s actually a double star. Close to the belt and on the Rigel side is a fuzzy patch that you might interpret as a star. This is the Great Orion Nebula. Later this summer you can see the Andromeda galaxy with your naked eyes. It is bigger than the moon and you have never noticed it because it is fairly dim and doesn’t look like the pictures.

See, I am not just another pretty face. I know stuff.

Azzrian

Wait I thought somewhere I read that Spock DID drink tea – or was that someone else?

LiberTEAS

Captain Picard drank tea. He liked Earl Grey. Hot.

Bonnie

I went to see the stars at Rocky Mt. National Park last Summer with a gazing group…unfortunately I was almost blind at the time…but my grandkids loved it. 9,000 ft. high and clear with some big telescopes! Now that I can see I want to do it again!!!

K S

@Bonnie, I want to go with you! I have been to star parties where there were 18" diameter scopes. I can’t imagine being out under pristine skies with even our moderate 8" scope. Stupid light pollution.

gmathis

Excellent and irrefutable logic. (I haven’t noticed yet … if Sheldon drinks tea, what kind does he drink?)

ashmanra

If you own an. iPad, one of my favorite apps is GoSkyWatch. Hold it up to the sky and it tells you what you are looking at, and there are other features as well. I LOVE it!

K S

@gmathis, I have noticed them making tea often on BB. Sorry to say it appears to be bagged Lipton. Amatuer nerds.

Terri HarpLady

I know this post is 2 years old, but I just read it for the first time, & I love it! I’m thinking Spock would be definitely a green tea & raw puerh (the older the better) kind of guy.

K S

I like the way you think. Two years to think on this – he probably would really drink some Vulcan herbal concoction. I just want to believe otherwise.

Christina

This is exactly the sort of thing I do sometimes, though I try to think of book characters that certain teas remind me of, as opposed to TV/film. Leads to fun tea reviews that way.

Cool.

Terri HarpLady

I tend to visualize musical ensembles, LOL.

Needed something gentle. Talk about severe storms headed this way has gone on for several days and has rubbed my nerves raw. I may have to break down and pay a visit to the storm shelter builders about digging a hole in our backyard…

This is wonderfully gentle, a nice sweet cereal flavor, but not so light it leaves you searching for something to taste. Trying a second steep as I write this…very pale, taste buds have to work a little harder, but still OK. Its mildness is very soothing.

C’mon storms, get your work done here and move on. I could use some sleep tonight.

Nik

“…searching for something to taste.”

I love that turn of phrase!

But I don’t want to want soda! I got home and I opened the fridge and there was this pitcher of perfectly clear, glowing golden liquid. I made it the regular way for hot but poured it in a glass pitcher and put it in the fridge on Wednesday. I can’t get over how clean and fresh and clear this looks. Not clear as in colorless, clear as in there is no sediment, no particles at all. Beautiful. And satisfying! I don’t want soda anymore. And I believe I owe replacing sugary drinks with tea a lot of the credit for dropping my triglycerides by 103 points in 3 months, without medication. Go, tea!

Sandy

Good job!

1964 tasting notes

Thanks again to Teavivre for the extremely generous sample of this tea. There’s so much in the pouch! The leaf is bright and smooth, and it smells a bit grassy and a bit nutty and a touch buttery. Steeped, that lovely chestnutty aroma comes out, which reminds me so much of chestnut sweets from a chinese bakery. The liquor is a very pale yellow, only slightly darker than the white of the mug, yet it’s still a flavorful cup. Smooth, lightly grassy, but also nutty and sweet, this tea has a lot of dimensions to it. A really really tasty cup.

TeaBrat

I am curious, what kind of water to leaf ratio did you use?

Dinosara

I used about 2 tsp of leaves for 12oz of water, but I feel like I could have gone with a little more leaf.

ashmanra

I loved this one so much I bought it on my first order.

SimplyJenW

This is a fave of mine, too. Since it is a fluffy tea, I probably went with 1 1/2-2 tsp per cup. I have a feeling it would weigh about right at this ratio.

TeaBrat

Thanks all, mine still seemed kind of bland and watery so I might need to use more leaf.

Scatterbrain

Anxiously awaiting my Teavivre samples now, this being one of them. :)

Tried an experiment today.

Apologies before you read further, because in some places what I did might cause a pretty good uproar.

I made this iced. I thought it would be fabulous. Not so much. All of the things I love about this tea are enhanced with the warmth.

Note to self: Reserve the pricey Premium Dragon Well for hot tea in the future. It tastes so much better that way.
Thank you for remembering!

Also, this makes me think that I will only like herbals or black teas iced. I might try a flavored green at some point.

Azzrian

I use less expensive (such as tropical tea company) green teas for iced – their strawberry green does well. I don’t fault you for trying this though if we don’t try things we will never know! :)

teawing

I make gunpowder green and add mint leaves over ice (Moroccan Mint) and actually crave it at times…

teawing

and no judgement from here either, you don’t know if you don’t try…

Missy

I try every thing iced. I figure it’s a good way to push the parameters of each tea to find out how I like it best. So I raise my beaker to you!

gmathis

Green with peppermint (steeped correctly, then chilled) is very nice. We salvaged a peppermint plant from House that Was that is bearing huge leaves right now. I’m drying them for summer experiments, but the dried-leaf aroma isn’t very strong. Any mint-drying experts have any advice?

SimplyJenW

I know some of us are not tea purists, but iced premium long jing is kind of a pearl clutching moment for some.

Dinosara

I’m very fond of flavored greens iced, especially jasmines (though never use the pearls of course! :D)

SimplyJenW

I do have a jasmine green (Chung Feng) from Le Palais des Thes. I might have to try that one iced next.

+1 jasmine green iced…

Delicious, delicious tea-for-breakfast yesterday morning. I think this and other dragonwells may become my go-to first thing in the morning teas, because they sit so much better in my stomach than flavoured blacks which sometimes edge towards astringency (Laoshan Black and Premium Taiwanese Assam are good too, but more limited in their supply in my cupboard at the current time). Anyhow, it was great in the travel mug yet again, all rock sugar and chewy vegetal. I deliberately overleafed to give it a stronger flavour, which was quite successful.

After a wonderful dinner I was in need of tea. Today already I drank 3 different black teas (I only reviewed 1) and decided to have something green. And this was my choice. A wise choice I might add. The aroma of the dried leaf is heavenly. It gave me an indication of what was to come. I brewed this in the Gaiwan. The flavor was as good as Long Jing gets and I’ve had many. I was imagining high foggy mountains with lush old growth evergreens. The flavors lingered in my mouth for what seemed like an eternity. This is a top flight Dragon Well.

Bonnie

I like that kind of flavor profile. The misty green pools of sweet water.

Charles Thomas Draper

Yes Bonnie. It was sooo nice…

TheTeaFairy

«high foggy mountains with lush old growth evergreens»… I will stay in that place for a while, beautiful picture you’ve painted.

Charles Thomas Draper

Thank you TeaFairy. Welcome back….

I have been craving Dragonwell so much lately. I’m going to blame a work test (100% aw yissss) so I came home last night and made myself a pot. And of course when I wanted to write the note, Steepster was misbehaving with the kettle so I completely forgot until now (blame a nap followed by the creation of these https://www.etsy.com/listing/112616805/candy-corn-white-chocolate-bark-set-of-2)

I only steeped it for a minute and I really wish I had for longer :( but that is okay, it was still tasty. I hadn’t had this in so long that when I’m describing it as chestnut in writing I realized I really didn’t remember what that actually tasted like. Still came through even with the lighter steep. There are definitely mineral notes too.

I need to get through this one and then also try the Dragonwell I bought for cheap at the international supermarket. I have a feeling this one will win out though, just in color alone it’s superior. And given I’ve had this for months now, that’s saying something I think.

Babble

I’m having issues with this one. When I steep it past a minute it’s very astringent. I didn’t think it would be that bad..

Whispering Pines Tea Company

I always steep Dragon Well at 1 minute for the first infusion and add 20 seconds to each after that. They do seem to get astringent past 1 minute.

I am enjoying this tea today courtesy of Teavire – thank you

I used slightly more leaf today than I had before (more along the lines of 2 tsp/1 cup and the results were more to my liking. I also steeped it for three minutes. Now I am picking up more of the gentle, nutty notes. Raised the score a few points also. Sorry for the short note, must be leaving home soon!

Scott B

This is good tea.

TeaBrat

It is, but dragonwells in general are just not my favorite type of tea. I’m a bit biased. :)

ashmanra

They sent me a sample of this months ago and I had to order a big bag right away!

This has to be one of my favorites from Teavivre. It is so very vegetal, light and clean.

When I scrape together the money for an order, this one will definitely be included!