Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “As I opened my eyes this morning, I declared this a me day. My wife went grocery shopping and my son went to a friends. I got out my acoustic guitar and played hard and long. Now I am sipping on...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1159 tasting notes
  • “I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was doing bad as far as getting around to trying my samples from Teavivre, but it turns out there are only two I hadn't tried, and this is one of them. This was yet another green tea...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “*Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!* I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but this was...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongting Mountain, Jiangsu, China

Ingredients: Compact rolled up buds with white tips

Harvest time: March 20, 2013

Taste: A fruity, bold aroma and taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a non-fermented green tea, Bi Luo Chun has high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that give green teas their ability to reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

As I opened my eyes this morning, I declared this a me day. My wife went grocery shopping and my son went to a friends. I got out my acoustic guitar and played hard and long. Now I am sipping on this most beautiful green. I think this is my favorite green tea – or at least it is at this moment in time on me day. Its buttery, sweet, grain, beans? and a spiciness that leads into a pleasant bite before the lingering aftertaste kicks in.

It may be time to break out the electric guitar and crank the distortion to 11. Hope the neighbors are in a good mood.

ashmanra

The dream of a homeschool mom for over twenty years – to be home alone. Enjoy it!

I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this time I will just say that I still mostly taste oats, specifically plain Cheerios. This is not a contemplative, meditative cup for me, but rather a tea I make either to go with Asian food or when I want green tea but I want a tea that will get me going and keep me going. For some reason, this tea makes me want to attack my to do list! That is exactly what I have GOT to do today!

Cheerio tea! Yum!

K S

Oh, this is the one I said reminded me of old upholstery stuffing – definitely Cheerios!

gmathis

(laughing and snorting milk through my nose)

MsWhatsit

Isn’t it funny sometimes how the ones with the most foreign sounding names often have the most familiar flavors?

gmathis

The one that they call Camel’s Breath or Camel Spit or Camel whatever makes me laugh every time. Haven’t tried it, but would like to.

I thought I was doing bad as far as getting around to trying my samples from Teavivre, but it turns out there are only two I hadn’t tried, and this is one of them. This was yet another green tea that I requested for furthering my tea education since I know next to nothing about different types of green teas.

The dry leaf is full of fluffy, squiggly leaves. The aroma of it is a little offputting, at least for what I look for in a tea, because it’s very savory and brothy. It really reminds me of miso broth you might get at a sushi restaurant. Steeped, it’s still a bit brothy but more vegetal, and some distinct nutty tones have come out as well. It smells a little less like a bowl of soup, which is good (in my mind at least!). The flavor is definitely light, and I feel like I’m “tasting” the aroma more than the tea itself. It’s got that grainy/miso-y flavor to it, followed by a vegetal note that ends up being a touch sharp toward the end. A very interesting tea, but not one of my favorite greens from the box. Thank you again to Angel Chen and Teavivre for giving me the chance to sample it!

Kashyap

might be good to use as a stock or a broth in soup…

Dinosara

I never would have thought of that, but it could be nice!

Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!

I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but this was really good! Colour me shocked.

The dry leaf is curly, soft, and downy. It smells really vegetal which has me worried.

Taste: delicious, slightly vegetal, slightly sweet and kind of nutty. I get the “savory” flavour almost like salted butter. It is a little drying on the mouth.

2nd steep: 80degrees, 1.5minutes, a little more vegetal, but still nutty

3rd steep: 85degrees, 2.5minutes, less vegetal with some sweetness remaining.

I think I liked this so much because it just tastes so fresh. I always get excellent quality from Teavivre’s teas and so many of them have surprised me. I didn’t think that I would ever enjoy straight tea so much!

TheTeaFairy

I also liked this one a lot… greens are not the easiest to handle, I also get worried when I try a new one. As I’m perfecting my brewing methods, I appreciate more and more!

tigress_al

I totally agree, since I got my variable temp kettle, I am liking more greens, but I am always apprehensive about trying a new one.

TheTeaFairy

Don’t you love that variable temp kettle? I’ve revisited my cupboard ever since I got mine a couple of months ago…wow, teas I thought I didn’t like so much are now some of my favorites, what a great investment!

Garrett

i am completely the same. my variable kettle opened up so much more about my teas. it’s interesting how you described this one tigress, for me this was much smokier and reminded me a lot of gunpowder green.

tigress_al

I haven’t tasted any gunpowder green so I am not sure how it compares. Lol I have generally been avoiding straight greens until now.
I will have to try one now to compare.
I don’t know how I would live without my variable temp kettle!

Garrett

a gunpowder green pretty much tastes like its exact name but sure thing, you should try one sometime :). if you’re new to straight greens i would certainly try a dragonwell. to me it’s the king of greens (although i’ve never tried sencha or gyokuro)

tigress_al

I have a dragonwell from teavivre waiting for me! Looking forward to it now.

Garrett

you’re going to fall in love :) well hopefully haha

Kittenna

Before the variable temp kettle, what did you do? I have been using a meat thermometer to check water temperature, so I can’t envision that a variable temp would make a difference to tea flavour, just to ease of brewing.

tigress_al

I didn’t have a theometer and so it was always a guessing game when the water was the right temp. I always guessed wrong and burnt my green tea. Then I saw the variable temp kettle for like $20 or $30 at Canadian tire so I had to try it. And I needed a new kettle at the time!

Lynne-tea

I have just been going by the bubbles forming in the kettle. I gauge what the temperature is based on the size and quantity of the bubbles forming. I know it is not extremely accurate.. but it’s not once costed me a cup of green tea (which I am grateful about). Typically I boil the water, then wait until all the bubbles from the boil disappear

I chose this for the 2nd pot of tea for the Ladies, who are still playing beautiful Harp duets while I wash my dishes. Have I mentioned that I actually live in Heaven?

This was a sample sent to me from TeaVivre awhile back. They are so generous that I actually received 2 sample envelopes of this, one which I drank back then, & the other which we’re enjoying some of now. To me, this is a delicate, savory, buttery green tea. Very pleasurable.
Thanks again, Angel & TeaVivre!

ashmanra

Of course, it is heaven. How else can the be all that harp music? :D

inguna

I wish I could join :)

I forget I still have all these Teavivre samples, I don’t think I have ever actually finished a package and I still have some new ones from months ago that I have yet to try, because I completely misplaced them.

They are found now so I will definitely need to get drinking them.

I just made a bowl of “Singapore curry” because this morning’s F1 race was in Singapore, but I was not much a fan of it, since it was made with shrimp and meh. So I went through the drawer of samples to find a savory tea I could have instead.

This time around I get less of a fruitiness and more of the broth-like tastes that I noted other reviews mentioned. It’s still sweet, but mostly vegetal and savory. It’s not too heavy, which is just what I want because I didn’t get to eat lunch until 4 (who goes to play racquetball for 2 1/2 hours at 1pm without even waking me up beforehand to say hey maybe we should eat lunch first since we were up at 7:30? my boyfriend!). I’ll probably go grab one of the teas I’ve yet to try instead of resteeping this one just because I really feel bad now that I haven’t had them yet!

That’s a nice surprise!

Small twisted dark green leaf.
Brewed palest yellow with an aroma of savory broth and the sea.
Tastes sweet and slightly savory with a hint of salt. Very smooth, light and delicious!

Backlogging from last month.

I’ve been a little slow to updating my notes. This was a sample I had received from Teavivre, thank you. Now, I’ve only had one other Pi Lo Chun before and I didn’t care for it so I decided to try another from a better vendor, so here we are.

The dry leaves are a curled mix of darker green leaves and fuzzy white ones and smell vaguely of the sea. When brewed up the wet leaves have a sweet, smokey vegetal scent to them. The infusion was light and had a hint of smoke to it.

Upon tasting the first infusion I got notes of sweetness, smoke, salt, and vegetal. Kind of reminded me of a savory miso soup, fascinating. As it started to cool a little I started to get roasted/grilled corn notes. As the infusions went on, I got to 5, the corn notes came out a little more but it didn’t really change, but I wasn’t expecting it to either.

This is a decent green tea, unfortunately I don’t care for smokey teas…I’m a wimp when it comes to that and I’m sure Bonnie is going to say something! I’m glad I got to try this and broaden my horizons a bit, but I’m going to refrain from rating this one because of my dislike of smokey teas. Thank you Teavivre for letting me try this!

Wimp!!

Bonnie

Ok…maybe you have to meet the right smoky tea like I have to meet the right man! (Bad comparison?!) Easier to find the right smoky tea! Have I mailed you any LS yet? I can’t remember who I send what tea to. If not want to try it?

TeaBrat

ha ha – your tastes may change someday, I used to hate smoky teas…

CHAroma

…I’m confused…you found this smokey?! My sample of this wasn’t even remotely smokey. It pretty much tasted like white tea. Was this stored with something smokey that absorbed that flavor?

Invader Zim

Bonnie: yes I’m a wimp and I never had a LS…I’m afraid it’s just too much for me yet with my fragile taste buds!

Amy oh: my tastes have changed a little but not when it comes to smoke or black teas.

CHAroma: I did find it slightly smokey, not very much though, a little less than a gunpowder. It was stored in a well sealed glass jar that did not contain anything smokey before it and with nothing strong smelling around it. I think I’m just sensitive to it.

CHAroma

Hmmm, interesting. I’m really sensitive to smoke too, so that’s why I’m so surprised. Now I have to go home and brew this again!

CHAroma

So, I tried this again and you’re completely right!! I could detect just a hint of smoke in the aroma and flavor. Sorry I ever doubted you. ;)

Invader Zim

Oh good, I was starting to think I was losing my marbles!

CHAroma

Yep, my tastes buds just weren’t very developed the first time I tried this. I noticed the smoke flavor but didn’t know it was “smoke.” So, I think I just called it odd and unexpected in my tea review. But now that I’ve since had Lapsang Souchong and other smokey teas, I can recognize that aroma and flavor as smoke in the Pi Lo Chun. Interesting how taste buds develop without you really noticing.

Invader Zim

I’m not so sure that the taste buds develop, I think over time you are better able to pick out subtleties and find better ways of describing what you’re tasting. More like your abilities of picking out and describing tastes are becoming more developed.

Well put. :)

Scent is buttery, sweet, titch floral. Leaves are soft with lots of down, and tightly curled. The tea is smooth and brothy, with an oily texture which coats the mouth.

Stephanie

Interesting

This Pi Lo Chun is nice this morning, I needed a mild and somewhat gentle green tea to get me going today. Overall, Chinese green teas don’t seem as flavorful to me as Japanese green teas but sencha can really make me nauseated. Thanks again for the sample, TV.