Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Astringent, Spinach, Sweet, Bok Choy, Carrot, Corn Husk, Roasted, Toasted Rice, Vegetal, Grass, Nuts, Vegetable Broth, Fruity, Seaweed, Green Beans, Honeydew, Sweet, warm grass, Flowers, Pepper, Spices, Vegetables, Apricot, Kettle Corn, Cut grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Floral, Tangy, Lychee, Smooth, Butter, Hay, Umami, Garden Peas, Melon
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Bi Luo Chun how I love you. This review is for the spring 2014 production. When I first met this tea from Teavivre it was in January 2012, so it must have been a 2011 tea. I was blown away. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1691 tasting notes
  • “I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2197 tasting notes
  • “Having this tea this afternoon, brewed in my gaiwan in short steeps and combined into one cup. I have to say, this cup smelled really really melon-y. Almost cantaloupe, but moresoe honeydew....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2183 tasting notes
  • Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample! I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 1134 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongting Mountain, Jiangsu, China

Ingredients: Compact rolled up buds with white tips

Harvest time: April 8, 2015

Taste: A fruity, bold aroma and taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a non-fermented green tea, Bi Luo Chun has high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that give green teas their ability to reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Another from Lala’s package. Decided this morning, before I head to the University to see Robyn, would be a good time to try out a straight green tea! Honestly, I just picked one of them at random. I have some cold brewed tea that I plan on taking with me later today, so I’ll review that later today.

This is DEFINITELY not something I would have bought myself, so it’s kind of interesting to get a chance to try it (and other teas) that are so out of my comfort zone. Visually, the dry leaf is really pretty – it reminds me of yarn, sort of. However, I find the aroma really off putting. Yes, it’s sweet (just like the description says) but there’s also a really unappealing vegetal smell.

1 tsp steeped for about 1 min and 30 seconds. The smell is really off putting and unappetizing. First few sips? I almost spat it back in the cup…

I can’t really explain WHY I dislike it – it’s for sure sweeter than other straight green teas that I’ve tried and I usually like sweet teas. But there’s something just not sitting right about this one. The aftertaste is really funky too…

I think I’m going to give the remainder of this to Robyn today.

Unrelated, this ( is what I’m going to enter into Stacy’s contest – the art one that is. It’s fully functional, and I do make tea in it occasionally! It’s kind of fitting, I think, that this contest is starting as Autumn is and I’ve got a fun, whimsical autumn teapot!

THis was my first time trying Pi Lo Chun and although it’s good it’s not exactly my cup of tea ;P. It holds up really nicely to several infusions and reminds me a lot of gunpowder tea. Be careful though because it can turn astringent fast. The dry leaves are very pretty and have a nice smokiness to them which translates over to the cup. If you like smokiness to your greens by all means you’ll love this! I simply prefer something a little sweeter and floral.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with this tea. I tried it at least four times, and the result was always the same. Maybe the flavor was just too subtle for me. I like my Pi Lo Chun to be a little more robust. It also had a slight smokey flavor—almost like Dragonwell. Don’t get me wrong, this tea is not horrible. It just is not quite the chun I like.

This tea is sweet and salty. It has a thick texture to it, like a soup broth. I get a seaweed and vegetal taste. It is an interesting tea, I have not had anything like it before.

175 °F / 79 °C

Sipdown! This is number 3 for today! (As I finish writing this in the morning, oops!)

This is a really lovely green tea. The tea itself is gorgeous. Little curly, downy leaves that smell delicious! The liquor is a very very light green, a bit vegetal and a bit sweet, and very smooth. As far as particular notes go I’m actually kind of forget because I didn’t get that far in my notes while sipping. I guess I’ll have to just get some more the next time I order from Teavivre!

Tea: ~2 tsp
Water: ~2 cups
Additives: none
Brewing method: A lovely DT teapot

I feel like a lot of the subtlety of some teas, this one in particular, is lost on me. I didn’t really like this one. I mean, the leaves smelled wonderful, and the infusion smelled just as awesome and fresh, but when I drank it, I was overwhelmed by the taste of smoky leather. I would have liked to have liked it, but I can’t say that I did.

Vegetal and fairly smooth as it hits the tongue, the flavor morphs into a sweet fruitiness that most resembles Fruit Loops cereal, strangely enough, with the cereal grain predominating in the finish alongside a very slight floral note.

This was the final type of green tea from my Teavivre sampler pack and, alas, the only one I didn’t really care for. From the moment I opened the sample, the dry leaf made its presence known. It was strongly vegetal and spinachy, almost pungently so.

I let it steep and the liquor was still quite spinachy smelling. I love spinach but while spinach is the closest word I can come up with to describe the smell it isn’t quite accurate.

The taste, while not as strong as the smell, was dominated by the pungent vegetal taste. It started our sweet but then became hyper spinachy. As the tea cooled, the “spinach” became stronger. It also became more astringent as it cooled, something it wasn’t at all when hot, so, perhaps 2 minutes was too long for the first infusion. I didn’t bother with a second since I didn’t enjoy this one.

Flavors: Astringent, Spinach, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Teavivre sample 5/5

I got a bunch of teaware today from YS :D I’m so excited I finally have a serving pitcher and a cup that I can actually see the tea colour in! yay :D!

Anyways! From the moment I smelled this bi luo chun, I decided to save it for last, I have had it for a week or two and this is my first time having it and well that takes willpower after smelling this, just trust me. It smelled incredible.

It tastes very sweet and roasty, like sweet peas, toasted rice, bok choy, spinach, very very sweet at first. i got a slight bitterness on a couple of the steeps, but I managed to get rid of it with a shorter steep succeeding it. It gets less sweet after the beginning, more roasty in the middle of the session, and then I get corn and carrot notes, it fades out around the 8th or 9th steep, which is a bit longer than I expected, a lot of greens don’t last that long for me. The roasty notes were a lot like a genmaicha, which was really great because it balanced wonderfully with the incredibly sweet vegetals. Lovely balance in this one. Really quite something delicious, but I suspect you’ll need to be quite careful about your steeps, the slight bitterness kept coming back.

Flavors: Bok Choy, Carrot, Corn Husk, Roasted, Spinach, Sweet, Toasted Rice, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C

Very fragrant and green. Some bitterness.

Flavors: Grass