Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Seaweed, Vegetable Broth, Vegetal, Green Beans, Honeydew, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Flowers, Fruity, Pepper, Spices, Vegetables, Apricot, Grass, Kettle Corn, Cut grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Floral, Tangy, Lychee, Smooth, Butter, Hay, Umami, Garden Peas, Melon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Bi Luo Chun how I love you. This review is for the spring 2014 production. When I first met this tea from Teavivre it was in January 2012, so it must have been a 2011 tea. I was blown away. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1642 tasting notes
  • “I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2114 tasting notes
  • “Having this tea this afternoon, brewed in my gaiwan in short steeps and combined into one cup. I have to say, this cup smelled really really melon-y. Almost cantaloupe, but moresoe honeydew....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample! I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 978 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongting Mountain, Jiangsu, China

Ingredients: Compact rolled up buds with white tips

Harvest time: April 8, 2015

Taste: A fruity, bold aroma and taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a non-fermented green tea, Bi Luo Chun has high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that give green teas their ability to reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Another from Lala’s package. Decided this morning, before I head to the University to see Robyn, would be a good time to try out a straight green tea! Honestly, I just picked one of them at random. I have some cold brewed tea that I plan on taking with me later today, so I’ll review that later today.

This is DEFINITELY not something I would have bought myself, so it’s kind of interesting to get a chance to try it (and other teas) that are so out of my comfort zone. Visually, the dry leaf is really pretty – it reminds me of yarn, sort of. However, I find the aroma really off putting. Yes, it’s sweet (just like the description says) but there’s also a really unappealing vegetal smell.

1 tsp steeped for about 1 min and 30 seconds. The smell is really off putting and unappetizing. First few sips? I almost spat it back in the cup…

I can’t really explain WHY I dislike it – it’s for sure sweeter than other straight green teas that I’ve tried and I usually like sweet teas. But there’s something just not sitting right about this one. The aftertaste is really funky too…

I think I’m going to give the remainder of this to Robyn today.

Unrelated, this (http://jonathanmangum.tumblr.com/post/61788079605/whimsical-autumn-teapot-fully-functional-clay) is what I’m going to enter into Stacy’s contest – the art one that is. It’s fully functional, and I do make tea in it occasionally! It’s kind of fitting, I think, that this contest is starting as Autumn is and I’ve got a fun, whimsical autumn teapot!

THis was my first time trying Pi Lo Chun and although it’s good it’s not exactly my cup of tea ;P. It holds up really nicely to several infusions and reminds me a lot of gunpowder tea. Be careful though because it can turn astringent fast. The dry leaves are very pretty and have a nice smokiness to them which translates over to the cup. If you like smokiness to your greens by all means you’ll love this! I simply prefer something a little sweeter and floral.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with this tea. I tried it at least four times, and the result was always the same. Maybe the flavor was just too subtle for me. I like my Pi Lo Chun to be a little more robust. It also had a slight smokey flavor—almost like Dragonwell. Don’t get me wrong, this tea is not horrible. It just is not quite the chun I like.

This tea is sweet and salty. It has a thick texture to it, like a soup broth. I get a seaweed and vegetal taste. It is an interesting tea, I have not had anything like it before.

175 °F / 79 °C

Sipdown! This is number 3 for today! (As I finish writing this in the morning, oops!)

This is a really lovely green tea. The tea itself is gorgeous. Little curly, downy leaves that smell delicious! The liquor is a very very light green, a bit vegetal and a bit sweet, and very smooth. As far as particular notes go I’m actually kind of forget because I didn’t get that far in my notes while sipping. I guess I’ll have to just get some more the next time I order from Teavivre!

Tea: ~2 tsp
Water: ~2 cups
Additives: none
Brewing method: A lovely DT teapot

I feel like a lot of the subtlety of some teas, this one in particular, is lost on me. I didn’t really like this one. I mean, the leaves smelled wonderful, and the infusion smelled just as awesome and fresh, but when I drank it, I was overwhelmed by the taste of smoky leather. I would have liked to have liked it, but I can’t say that I did.

Another day, another interesting Teavivre sample to try. I love their vast array of tea and the inexpensive samples which are a great way to try a lot of different teas on the cheap. Green tea, to me is their strong suit and I’ve enjoyed working my way through their offerings.

The latest one happens to be Bi Luo Chun and is the first of its kind for me. This is a light bodied green tea without any astringency and mellow flavor. The dry leaf has a sweet seaweed aroma and the wet leaf has the aroma of grass and steamed vegetables. The first steep is mild, lightly vegetal and brothy. A nice balance of sweet and savory. Later steeps are decidedly vegetal. There is a hint of seaweed as it goes down. Not a whole lot of flavor though. Increasing steep times leads to a marine flavor which I’m not a big fan of.

This is a mild tea that may appeal to people new to green tea. Unfortunately it didn’t do much for me. To me, this is squarely middle of the road and has a very typical green tea flavor. Nothing really memorable about it. I do however like it better in kahva than the gunpowder tea I normally use and it’s also pretty good cold-steeped for a couple of hours.

Flavors: Seaweed, Vegetable Broth, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 1 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Very smooth green tea, barely any astringency. It has a kind of Japanese green essence about it without the smack-you-in-the-face (or rather, tongue) with GREENS!!! effect. But, then, thats exactly what I love about those Japanese greens. haha

Nevertheless, this tea is not bad per my standards. It manages to pull off the spirit of the Japanese umami without going all out vegetal. A good green for those who can’t handle the power of the green ;)

Admittedly, even I have overdone it with the heavy greens and needed a break – this would be a good choice when I want to tone it down a bit.

Dry leaf is vegetal and floral in scent.

Brewed tea has a strong spinach aroma.

Savoury sweetness on the sip. Slight melon tone. A bit bland at the beginning of the sip. Slightly thin mouthfeel.

This is another wonderful spring tea of 2015. I opened up the package and reveled tiny cute (if tea can be cute) curls of forest green and silver. These little twirls had small downy hairs lining them, and they carried a strong vegetal tone of green beans with a honeydew sweetness. I placed them inside my warmed kyusu and gave em a shake. This sweet scent became a lot more deeper and robust. It changed into a bold spinach tone. I brewed up a cup and drank. The initial sip was a strong vegetal tone with still a honey sweetness. This brew became sweeter after steeping. The second steeping I used cooler water (175F) to get that honey tone to be more pronounced. The third steeping I used hotter water (190F) to get a deeper spring flavor. This was an awesome green tea! It had a nice and full spring flavor of a vegetable gardens with still keeping it sweet like honey.

Flavors: Green Beans, Honeydew, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal