Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Cut grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Vegetable Broth, Apricot, Green Beans, Lychee, Smooth, Flowers, Fruity, Sweet, warm grass
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Bi Luo Chun how I love you. This review is for the spring 2014 production. When I first met this tea from Teavivre it was in January 2012, so it must have been a 2011 tea. I was blown away. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1250 tasting notes
  • “I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1797 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was doing bad as far as getting around to trying my samples from Teavivre, but it turns out there are only two I hadn't tried, and this is one of them. This was yet another green tea...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1914 tasting notes
  • “*Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!* I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but this was...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 791 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongting Mountain, Jiangsu, China

Ingredients: Compact rolled up buds with white tips

Harvest time: March 26, 2014

Taste: A fruity, bold aroma and taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a non-fermented green tea, Bi Luo Chun has high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that give green teas their ability to reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Another from Lala’s package. Decided this morning, before I head to the University to see Robyn, would be a good time to try out a straight green tea! Honestly, I just picked one of them at random. I have some cold brewed tea that I plan on taking with me later today, so I’ll review that later today.

This is DEFINITELY not something I would have bought myself, so it’s kind of interesting to get a chance to try it (and other teas) that are so out of my comfort zone. Visually, the dry leaf is really pretty – it reminds me of yarn, sort of. However, I find the aroma really off putting. Yes, it’s sweet (just like the description says) but there’s also a really unappealing vegetal smell.

1 tsp steeped for about 1 min and 30 seconds. The smell is really off putting and unappetizing. First few sips? I almost spat it back in the cup…

I can’t really explain WHY I dislike it – it’s for sure sweeter than other straight green teas that I’ve tried and I usually like sweet teas. But there’s something just not sitting right about this one. The aftertaste is really funky too…

I think I’m going to give the remainder of this to Robyn today.

Unrelated, this (http://jonathanmangum.tumblr.com/post/61788079605/whimsical-autumn-teapot-fully-functional-clay) is what I’m going to enter into Stacy’s contest – the art one that is. It’s fully functional, and I do make tea in it occasionally! It’s kind of fitting, I think, that this contest is starting as Autumn is and I’ve got a fun, whimsical autumn teapot!

THis was my first time trying Pi Lo Chun and although it’s good it’s not exactly my cup of tea ;P. It holds up really nicely to several infusions and reminds me a lot of gunpowder tea. Be careful though because it can turn astringent fast. The dry leaves are very pretty and have a nice smokiness to them which translates over to the cup. If you like smokiness to your greens by all means you’ll love this! I simply prefer something a little sweeter and floral.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with this tea. I tried it at least four times, and the result was always the same. Maybe the flavor was just too subtle for me. I like my Pi Lo Chun to be a little more robust. It also had a slight smokey flavor—almost like Dragonwell. Don’t get me wrong, this tea is not horrible. It just is not quite the chun I like.

First off, thank you Teavivre for this lovely free sample!

Aroma: Sweet, slightly vegetal
Liquor: Bright straw color
Flavor: Buttery, sweet and smooth with no bitterness. Clean, light body.
Notes: I steeped this twice, first at one minute, second at two. First steeping was very light and soft, while the second got a lot sharper and more pronounced. I wasn’t expecting this tea to be so rich and smooth with not even a hint of bitterness. Wonderful tea, looking forward to another round.

This tea is sweet and salty. It has a thick texture to it, like a soup broth. I get a seaweed and vegetal taste. It is an interesting tea, I have not had anything like it before.

175 °F / 79 °C

Sipdown! This is number 3 for today! (As I finish writing this in the morning, oops!)

This is a really lovely green tea. The tea itself is gorgeous. Little curly, downy leaves that smell delicious! The liquor is a very very light green, a bit vegetal and a bit sweet, and very smooth. As far as particular notes go I’m actually kind of forget because I didn’t get that far in my notes while sipping. I guess I’ll have to just get some more the next time I order from Teavivre!

Tea: ~2 tsp
Water: ~2 cups
Additives: none
Brewing method: A lovely DT teapot

I feel like a lot of the subtlety of some teas, this one in particular, is lost on me. I didn’t really like this one. I mean, the leaves smelled wonderful, and the infusion smelled just as awesome and fresh, but when I drank it, I was overwhelmed by the taste of smoky leather. I would have liked to have liked it, but I can’t say that I did.

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for the generous samples!

I could smell the dry leaf from the moment I opened the sample pouch. A savoury, roast-y aroma.

Steeped, the aroma becomes a bit more vegetal. The taste is quite light, still sort of savoury with a hint of nuttiness and to my surprise, a slight hint of sweetness. There’s a lightly astringent finish.

I usually don’t drink green teas (longjing being an exception), but I could see myself drinking more of this!

I went to Charlottesville. I am back. But I left a piece of my heart behind, because it is a gorgeous place.

There is happiness here, though, because I’m reviewing #3 on my list of Teavivre Green teas, yay!

I was worried that I overheated this one, but so far the taste turned out well. The leaves are very fluffy and curly looking, and they had a floral smell when dry, mixed with the classic vegetal scent.

The taste is hard to pinpoint. It has a nutty, grassy taste to it, more of a sweet grass than anything. But there is this floral, sweet aftertaste. Green teas all have a similar taste to me, so it can be hard to pick out the exact differences, though they are there. I think I definitely pick up on the floral and sweet notes in this tea more than the first two, and it’s a little stronger tasting overall.

I’ve been trying to read over other tasting notes for teas, to see what the common consensus is on how a tea tastes, or just common flavours that everyone seems to pick up. Teavivire also gives a great listing of tastes that are common, so that’s nice and that helps.

This tea is really nice, and maybe I’ll even try it iced at some point. It’s fullbodied, strong, with a sweet, floral flavour and it is really well-balanced. :) Now off to finish drinking it!

P.S: For my fellow teapot users—when you make tea in a teapot, I highly recommend writing a note to your loved ones inviting them to make a cuppa, or making one for them. I’ve started always making enough tea for my mother to share with me, and it’s a nice feeling to make tea for someone other than yourself. I know it can be hard to share some of our favourite teas, but I think these little actions are the things that build onto bigger actions, and lead to more love and light in the world. <3 Share some of the tea love!

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

I’m loving these green samples from Teavivre, thank you yet again! This is another tea that Teavivre says should be 3-4 tablespoons of leaves for 17 ounces of water (I don’t think they mean teaspoons.) So I went with one sample package of leaves, which I measured out to be four heaping teaspoons. It’s kind of difficult to measure these leaves when they are all wirey and twisted together!

Steep #1 // 30 min after boiling // 2 min steep
First I must discuss the scent of the dry leaves, it was almost unbearably strong! The strongest green tea scent I’ve ever smelled. The taste is the same as the fragrance. It’s very brothy and soupy… there is that creamed/breaded corn flavor again but this time the flavor is stronger. There is also hints of pineapple for me. The brew is a cloudy mellow yellow color. Using four teaspoons isn’t a bad thing, but it is a little astringent and I don’t think I’d use that much in the future.

Steep #2 // 30 min after boiling // 2 1/2 min
Using four teaspoons IS a bad thing for this cup. Astringency city. I really should have known because the dry leaf is so strong. I drank it anyway, because I could still taste the amazing flavor beneath the bitter. Thirty minutes after boiling definitely is lower than the suggested 185 degrees too. I’ll try it again soon…

Cameron B.

I have an infrared thermometer that I use to measure the temperate of my water. It works really well and I think it was under $20 on Amazon. :D