Bi Luo Chun Green Tea (Pi Lo Chun)

Green Tea
Green Tea
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “As I opened my eyes this morning, I declared this a me day. My wife went grocery shopping and my son went to a friends. I got out my acoustic guitar and played hard and long. Now I am sipping on...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1160 tasting notes
  • “I bought this because I loved the way it looked! These leaves are twisted and soft and fluffy, but they have great staying power for resteeping. I have reviewed this a few times before so this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “I thought I was doing bad as far as getting around to trying my samples from Teavivre, but it turns out there are only two I hadn't tried, and this is one of them. This was yet another green tea...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “*Many thanks to Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!* I was really apprehensive about this sample because I am not the biggest fan of greens, especially straight greens, but this was...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 767 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongting Mountain, Jiangsu, China

Ingredients: Compact rolled up buds with white tips

Harvest time: March 20, 2013

Taste: A fruity, bold aroma and taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a non-fermented green tea, Bi Luo Chun has high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that give green teas their ability to reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Another from Lala’s package. Decided this morning, before I head to the University to see Robyn, would be a good time to try out a straight green tea! Honestly, I just picked one of them at random. I have some cold brewed tea that I plan on taking with me later today, so I’ll review that later today.

This is DEFINITELY not something I would have bought myself, so it’s kind of interesting to get a chance to try it (and other teas) that are so out of my comfort zone. Visually, the dry leaf is really pretty – it reminds me of yarn, sort of. However, I find the aroma really off putting. Yes, it’s sweet (just like the description says) but there’s also a really unappealing vegetal smell.

1 tsp steeped for about 1 min and 30 seconds. The smell is really off putting and unappetizing. First few sips? I almost spat it back in the cup…

I can’t really explain WHY I dislike it – it’s for sure sweeter than other straight green teas that I’ve tried and I usually like sweet teas. But there’s something just not sitting right about this one. The aftertaste is really funky too…

I think I’m going to give the remainder of this to Robyn today.

Unrelated, this (http://jonathanmangum.tumblr.com/post/61788079605/whimsical-autumn-teapot-fully-functional-clay) is what I’m going to enter into Stacy’s contest – the art one that is. It’s fully functional, and I do make tea in it occasionally! It’s kind of fitting, I think, that this contest is starting as Autumn is and I’ve got a fun, whimsical autumn teapot!

THis was my first time trying Pi Lo Chun and although it’s good it’s not exactly my cup of tea ;P. It holds up really nicely to several infusions and reminds me a lot of gunpowder tea. Be careful though because it can turn astringent fast. The dry leaves are very pretty and have a nice smokiness to them which translates over to the cup. If you like smokiness to your greens by all means you’ll love this! I simply prefer something a little sweeter and floral.

I have to admit that I was disappointed with this tea. I tried it at least four times, and the result was always the same. Maybe the flavor was just too subtle for me. I like my Pi Lo Chun to be a little more robust. It also had a slight smokey flavor—almost like Dragonwell. Don’t get me wrong, this tea is not horrible. It just is not quite the chun I like.

First off, thank you Teavivre for this lovely free sample!

Aroma: Sweet, slightly vegetal
Liquor: Bright straw color
Flavor: Buttery, sweet and smooth with no bitterness. Clean, light body.
Notes: I steeped this twice, first at one minute, second at two. First steeping was very light and soft, while the second got a lot sharper and more pronounced. I wasn’t expecting this tea to be so rich and smooth with not even a hint of bitterness. Wonderful tea, looking forward to another round.

This tea is sweet and salty. It has a thick texture to it, like a soup broth. I get a seaweed and vegetal taste. It is an interesting tea, I have not had anything like it before.

175 °F / 79 °C

Sipdown! This is number 3 for today! (As I finish writing this in the morning, oops!)

This is a really lovely green tea. The tea itself is gorgeous. Little curly, downy leaves that smell delicious! The liquor is a very very light green, a bit vegetal and a bit sweet, and very smooth. As far as particular notes go I’m actually kind of forget because I didn’t get that far in my notes while sipping. I guess I’ll have to just get some more the next time I order from Teavivre!

Tea: ~2 tsp
Water: ~2 cups
Additives: none
Brewing method: A lovely DT teapot

I feel like a lot of the subtlety of some teas, this one in particular, is lost on me. I didn’t really like this one. I mean, the leaves smelled wonderful, and the infusion smelled just as awesome and fresh, but when I drank it, I was overwhelmed by the taste of smoky leather. I would have liked to have liked it, but I can’t say that I did.

Another beautiful day in the Midwest, really, spring time out here reminds me of the things that I like about this are, it turns out though that most places are pretty in spring. I have a busy weekend ahead of me: big family gathering, candied violets to make, British flapjacks to cook myself, and of course some sort of art project. I am feeling inspired to do something crafty, just not sure exactly what yet.

Today’s tea is a delightfully fuzzy green tea from Teavivre, Bi Luo Chun (or Pi Lo Chun, depending on dialect) from Mt Dongting in Jiangsu Province. The translation of this tea is Green Snail Spring, referring to the curly shape of the leaves. The aroma of the dry leaves is sweet and fresh, blending artichoke and lychee with a delicate hint of floral at the end. This tea smells like nature in springtime, bringing in the notes of fruits, flowers, and vegetation. It makes my nose happy.

Into the basket the fuzzy little leaves go for a nice bath. Sadly this means the fuzzies go away, such is the fate of tea leaves. Holy Lychee, Batman! The wet leaves are so sweet and fruity that it is nothing short of mouthwatering. There is also a touch of artichoke and hay, giving the tea a more vegetal quality at the end of the sniff. The liquid is mild with delicate notes of artichoke and sweet lychee, floating on the top of the tea are the fuzzy trichomes.

The taste is quite delicate (that seems to be the key word with this tea) with a sweet citrus taste reminiscent of lychees. There is also a very mild hint of nuts that fades to a green bean vegetal taste. Of course the trichomes tickle the inside of my mouth making me giggle when I sip the tea. This tea is very mild and refreshing, it reminds me of spring rain.

Giving the tea a second steeping (we meet again curly leaves!) and I notice the aroma of the liquid is much sweeter and heavier of lychee. The taste is also sweeter, instead of being reminiscent of lychees it actually tastes like lychees. There is also a surprising note of violets, and almost no vegetal taste. As the tea cools it gets even sweeter and floral. This tea did not really wow me in taste, but it certainly wowed me at how delicate and nuanced it is. I find this is a tea for special occasions with nuanced tasters, sadly I served it to a bunch of non-tea drinkers and they thought it had no taste. Tragic. At the time of writing these tasting notes in my tea-journal I did not yet have a gaiwan, I am curious to try this tea again with a gaiwan and see how much of a difference it makes.

For review and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/04/teavivre-bi-luo-chun-tea-review.html

Thanks very much to Angel from Teavivre for this (extremely) generous sample!

Dry, this leaf is quite attractive – it’s very tippy, with stripes of white leaf visible against the green background. There’s also a lot of down/pekoe (fuzz) with the leaf – an indicator to me that this tea was picked when very young. Nice! The smell is very marine and vegetal – I sense a lot of seaweed.

Brewed, this produces a lovely green-amber liquor. The flavour is quite delicate – it’s light, but not weak. A little bit buttery and vegetal, with a hint of seaweed on the back of the tongue.

However, the second steep is where it really shines. This is the second Bi Luo Chun tea I’ve tasted, and both this one and my first had really lovely, sweet second steeps. There’s still the vegetal taste, but it’s lightened a bit and made more floral.

I can definitely see this as a good, everyday sort of “comfort” green tea. Mmm!

I received two generous samples of Bi Luo Chun from Teavivre (thanks!), and I just brewed up a nice-sized pot. I’m not really sure what the dose of this tea should be, as it is extremely light and airy, filled with spaces. It almost seems weightless! I ended up using about three teaspoons for the pot, but I’m not sure whether the samples are supposed to be measured as pot portions. Perhaps Angel could weigh in? ;-)

Anyway, this was my second experience with a Bi Luo Chun tea, the first having been one from Tealux. So now I know: this tea has a very subtle flavor, not at all vegetal, but still tasty and thirst-quenching. I like the comparison to flaky pastry, except that the texture and flavor are not at all buttery to me. Bi Luo Chun strikes me as a very neutral tea, which would work well as an accompaniment to any meal—or dessert!