Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Fruity, Lychee, Smooth, Sweet, Chocolate, Spices, Brown Sugar, Sugarcane, Malt, Sour, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Dark Wood, Smoke, Baked Bread, Honey, Oats, Wheat, Leather, Earth, Cedar, Peppercorn
High
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “I got to add a bit of this back to my stash thanks to LiberTeas! I’m having a cup right now! It’s awesome…I’m so happy to have this tea back in my stash! Thanks LiberTEAs!” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This is the most second most expensive keemun in teavivres arsenal and i think it might be the one i like least. Which, of course suits me just fine lol. The aroma of this one reminds me of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 7410 tasting notes
  • “2 minute steep. Smoke on the Water (live) blasting. I’m ready. I love the dark chocolate smell of the dry leaf. The wet leaf has a good black tea scent but is slightly smoky, and I am nervous. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1670 tasting notes
  • “I enjoy having Keemun as a breakfast tea. Even if I am naughty most of the time and miss the most important meal of the day I never forget my morning tea. Keemun is so rich and malty that it works...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1298 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Qimen, Anhui, China

Ingredients: Dark black, glossy thin buds topped with golden tips

Harvest time: May 30, 2014

Taste: A bold but smooth, fruity taste with a lingering, mellow aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Quite full bodied, but lacks refinement. Smells of delicious spice, but doesn’t deliver. For a “premium” grade the leaves of the tea should be long and whole. Not broken bits like it is.

I haven’t been drinking much tea lately – it is hot in Texas! Was craving something different tonight though so I picked this out of my sample basket. There was a slight chocolate aroma to the dry leaves but not as prominent as in other Keemuns I’ve tried. After brewing the aroma changed to honey covered berries. I can’t exactly determine which berry, but it is definitely one of them. I liked it alright plain but I added a splash of milk. I love how milk “blooms” throughout a dark tea when you put a bit in. The taste is primarily of chocolate, honey, slight hay and a bit of smoke. Pretty good – I think I may need to have several cups of this tonight.

I was quite amazed by how this tea looks – for a moment I thought I got a 2nd grade quality but that all faded away when I steeped it and tried it. It’s amazing. Bold, rich aroma, a bit smoky. Managed to get 7 steeps out of it ranging from 30s to 3 min.

I prefer Keemuns to be a bit smokier but this is still quite good. Nothing extraordinary, but it hits the spot.

Pi day. A complex day deserves a complex sort of tea. Keemun it is! I brew up some of Teavivre’s Premium Hao Ya and see if the math checks.

The dry leaf is woodsy and earthy with a slight cocoa note, typical of many keemuns. The scent of the wet leaf is not all that much different than the dry, but slightly more gentle. The liquor smell loses some of that nice earthiness and is of a far more smoky quality.

As I sip, I’m not intrigued. I’m not mystified. I’m not overly interested. This keemun would best be described as mild-flavored, with smoke. On the initial swallow, this tea is not particularly strong. There is a somewhat malty taste on the onset with a hint of sweetness. But, the aftertaste brings a stronger wave of smokiness that makes you forget the opening. The cocoa notes are relatively weak in this one, which is a disappointment. You can faintly taste the cocoa lingering, but it never dazzles and pops. Failure to reach potential. The depth in this tea is lacking.

Overall, the math is a little off. This keemun is an average offering: neither fascinating, nor drab. Intricately deep and complex like pi, this tea is not.

This is my favourite of the samples TeaVivre has sent me so far. The leaves are quite small, so like someone else has suggested on here, Western brewing might be the way to go.

2 tsp, 500ml, 2 mins: the taste is smokey and sweet! I couldn’t believe how much I liked it considering the smokey smell and taste. Not like the smokeyness I’ve tried in a couple pu’erhs, but a really mellow, [b]sweet[/b] smokey taste. For me this was a pleasant surprise!

I’ve had a pretty dreadful week but today is much much better so I’m celebrating by sampling lots of teas. I’ve sampled my way through most of the teabox already but there are still some blacks I’ve been meaning to get to. (I also have notes from some other teas from the teabox that I sampled last week, but I’ll get around to writing those up later.) And Chinese blacks are some of the best! So I’m trying this one.

It’s a nice color and has that lovely elegant fragrance that tends to come with Chinese teas. I’m not so sure about the flavor, though; it’s not my favorite Chinese black, but it does have some interesting points. It does have a bit of astringency and a teensy hint of bitterness. I’ll try resteeping it with slightly cooler water.

2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is the best Keemun out of the 3 I’ve ever tried. It’s pretty smooth and has a nice fruity and sweet flavor. I got a couple samples of this during the teavivre anniversary sales.

Flavors: Fruity, Lychee, Smooth, Sweet

Another sample from kittylovestea

A amazing tea

This tea restored my faith in black teas

When I smell the leaves dry, they smell nice and spicy.

When I smell the leaves wet, they smell spicy and like chocolate.

When I smell the brewed tea, I smell chocolate and spices.

When I taste the brewed tea, I taste chocolate and spices.

The color of the brewed tea is a dark amber color.

I rate this tea a 100 because it is a wonderful tea.

Many thanks my dear friend.

Special note: i lost my strainer a few days ago so i was using the strainer thingy the staff had. then they found it today and dumped the staff’s strainer out and i only steeped it once. kinda miffed earlier, but im ok now as i still have a little bit left.

Flavors: Chocolate, Spices

195 °F / 90 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 250 OZ / 7393 ML

This tea is very tasty. It has strong notes of chocolate. It has weak notes of malt. This is fine by me as I prefer notes of chocolate. I added sugar to this tea so I’m not sure but I think it’s got some sweet notes too. This is another tea from Teavivre that I think is just a good value for the quality level. It’s not up there with Whispering Pines but it’s damn close and less than half the price. It’s really quite tasty, almost but not quite spectacular. I think it’s better than their Fengqing Dragon Pearl Tea.

I brewed this once in an 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 190 degree water for 3 min. I almost used boiling water but thought to read the directions on the label which call for 194 degree water.

Flavors: Chocolate