Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Cocoa, Leather, Malt, Smoke, Earth, Chocolate, Fruity, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Cedar, Peppercorn
High
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “I got to add a bit of this back to my stash thanks to LiberTeas! I'm having a cup right now! It's awesome...I'm so happy to have this tea back in my stash! Thanks LiberTEAs!” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This is the most second most expensive keemun in teavivres arsenal and i think it might be the one i like least. Which, of course suits me just fine lol. The aroma of this one reminds me of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5049 tasting notes
  • “2 minute steep. Smoke on the Water (live) blasting. I’m ready. I love the dark chocolate smell of the dry leaf. The wet leaf has a good black tea scent but is slightly smoky, and I am nervous. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1351 tasting notes
  • “I enjoy having Keemun as a breakfast tea. Even if I am naughty most of the time and miss the most important meal of the day I never forget my morning tea. Keemun is so rich and malty that it works...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1117 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Qimen, Anhui, China

Ingredients: Dark black, glossy thin buds topped with golden tips

Harvest time: May 30, 2014

Taste: A bold but smooth, fruity taste with a lingering, mellow aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Quite full bodied, but lacks refinement. Smells of delicious spice, but doesn’t deliver. For a “premium” grade the leaves of the tea should be long and whole. Not broken bits like it is.

I haven’t been drinking much tea lately – it is hot in Texas! Was craving something different tonight though so I picked this out of my sample basket. There was a slight chocolate aroma to the dry leaves but not as prominent as in other Keemuns I’ve tried. After brewing the aroma changed to honey covered berries. I can’t exactly determine which berry, but it is definitely one of them. I liked it alright plain but I added a splash of milk. I love how milk “blooms” throughout a dark tea when you put a bit in. The taste is primarily of chocolate, honey, slight hay and a bit of smoke. Pretty good – I think I may need to have several cups of this tonight.

I was quite amazed by how this tea looks – for a moment I thought I got a 2nd grade quality but that all faded away when I steeped it and tried it. It’s amazing. Bold, rich aroma, a bit smoky. Managed to get 7 steeps out of it ranging from 30s to 3 min.

I prefer Keemuns to be a bit smokier but this is still quite good. Nothing extraordinary, but it hits the spot.

Pi day. A complex day deserves a complex sort of tea. Keemun it is! I brew up some of Teavivre’s Premium Hao Ya and see if the math checks.

The dry leaf is woodsy and earthy with a slight cocoa note, typical of many keemuns. The scent of the wet leaf is not all that much different than the dry, but slightly more gentle. The liquor smell loses some of that nice earthiness and is of a far more smoky quality.

As I sip, I’m not intrigued. I’m not mystified. I’m not overly interested. This keemun would best be described as mild-flavored, with smoke. On the initial swallow, this tea is not particularly strong. There is a somewhat malty taste on the onset with a hint of sweetness. But, the aftertaste brings a stronger wave of smokiness that makes you forget the opening. The cocoa notes are relatively weak in this one, which is a disappointment. You can faintly taste the cocoa lingering, but it never dazzles and pops. Failure to reach potential. The depth in this tea is lacking.

Overall, the math is a little off. This keemun is an average offering: neither fascinating, nor drab. Intricately deep and complex like pi, this tea is not.

This is my favourite of the samples TeaVivre has sent me so far. The leaves are quite small, so like someone else has suggested on here, Western brewing might be the way to go.

2 tsp, 500ml, 2 mins: the taste is smokey and sweet! I couldn’t believe how much I liked it considering the smokey smell and taste. Not like the smokeyness I’ve tried in a couple pu’erhs, but a really mellow, [b]sweet[/b] smokey taste. For me this was a pleasant surprise!

A quarter of the way through WoT book thirteen (so close to splurging on tea purchases!), my kobo file went glitchy and I had to switch to my dad’s hardcover edition. It’s the worst development this series has taken so far- this 800 page behemoth has already tried to maim me twice today! Lots of respect for the people who followed this series as it was released, with the hardcover editions.

This smokey sample from Amariel made up for my failings with physical book copies today. I drank about eight cups this evening and now it’s gone. It has some rough elements (smoke, leather, bitter cocoa) , but this tea presents them in a smooth and easily drinkable way.

Flavors: Cocoa, Leather, Malt, Smoke

Cavocorax

That sucks about your kobo! Hardcovers are so difficult! i could NOT have read the hardcover,, but I was really disappointed they wouldn’t release the ebook utnil 3 months after the hc release. (I would have paid the hc price or equiv to have the ebook at the same time)

carol who

Okay… What’s WoT?

Veronica

Carol – It’s The Wheel of Time. I haven’t read it yet because it’s an epic series and a huge time commitment, but from everything I’ve heard it’s really good.

CrowKettle

It’s definitely a huge time commitment. I’ve taken over a year, with lots of breaks between the slower middle books, to get to the end. It started off as a way to take my mind off ASoIaS, but I’ve come to love the series a lot. It’s going to be so weird finishing WoT..

That’s frustrating about the release dates for the different formats! It’s so nice having a 10000+ page series fully published and transportable on lightweight ebook devices- I feel spoiled XD

Starfevre

I need to re-read that. I was current up to book…8 or something like that and then I decided to wait until the series was finished before making another run at it.

I’ve certainly imbibed my share of Keemun tea over the course of my life—but generally in disguise. I do not recall ever seeking out to buy Keemun, but this tea appears to be a major component in many English Breakfast blends. In fact, in memory serves, the current Harney & Son English Breakfast sachet contains only Keemun! That probably explains why the dried leaves looked and smelled so familiar to me. The leaves are quite a bit smaller than the full leaf blacks I’ve tested of late. In fact, by both looks and taste of the dark amber brew, I’d say that this tea—or reasonable facsimile—may also be the base of many a fine flavored blend.

The flavor does not immediately recall English Breakfast tea to my mind, probably because of the absence of Assam, which generally contributes the maltiness in most orthodox English Breakfast blends. (My understanding is that there is also a lot of Assamica out there—not produced in the Assam region of India, but using similar strains and growing and production techniques.) Nonetheless, by force of habit, I ended up splashing this glass with a bit of half and half, and then I felt as though I had reunited with an old friend.

I probably won’t be stocking this tea. It’s good, but it’s not new to me, and I’m focusing on broadening my horizons rather than seeking refuge in the comfort and safety of familiarity.

A good tea, though, for black tea lovers, and anyone who drinks flavored blends!

(7/29/14)

Opening up the bag I was hit with a smoky, earthy aroma – surprised to find a hint of smoke in the dry leaf but it is pleasant and not offensive. Medium brown, clear tea soup. The taste is marvelous and nicely balanced – malt, dark chocolate, and leather mixed together. Silky smooth sip and the light smokiness serves to make the other flavors pop. A very nice complement to breakfast foods.

looseTman

Definitely agree! YUM! A very incisive and concise review too!

DigniTea

Short and to the point – that’s about all I know how to do! ;)
I am not really a keemun person (not like you anyway, looseTman) but I must say that I did enjoy playing with both keemuns today.

looseTman

A two-TeaVivre Keemun day is a very good day indeed!

looseTman

Was the Premium Keemun Hao Ya also 2013?

DigniTea

I bought both last August so I think so.

This keemun tastes like it has a history. An ancient history filled with with time, patience and old places. It is a deep tasting tea with a nice balance of earthy dark chocolate, a touch of smoke and a wee bit of malt. It is not overwhelming with it’s keemun flavors, but it is delicate, honest and true in what it represents. I am getting fewer top notes in this keemun that in TeaVivre’s Organic Superfine Keemun, but this isn’t a matter of quality in the difference between the teas… more than likely it’s my allergies. This is the top of the line for TeaVivre’s keemuns, so if you love the earthy goodness of keemun but don’t know where to begin in TeaVivre’s offerings, begin here.

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Smoke

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
SimpliciTEA

I really like the description in the first two lines of your review. That is what the best teas aught to invoke in us.

Terri HarpLady