Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Earth, Malt, Smoke, Chocolate, Cocoa, Fruity, Leather, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Cedar, Peppercorn
High
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “I got to add a bit of this back to my stash thanks to LiberTeas! I'm having a cup right now! It's awesome...I'm so happy to have this tea back in my stash! Thanks LiberTEAs!” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This is the most second most expensive keemun in teavivres arsenal and i think it might be the one i like least. Which, of course suits me just fine lol. The aroma of this one reminds me of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “2 minute steep. Smoke on the Water (live) blasting. I’m ready. I love the dark chocolate smell of the dry leaf. The wet leaf has a good black tea scent but is slightly smoky, and I am nervous. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “I enjoy having Keemun as a breakfast tea. Even if I am naughty most of the time and miss the most important meal of the day I never forget my morning tea. Keemun is so rich and malty that it works...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1082 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Qimen, Anhui, China

Ingredients: Dark black, glossy thin buds topped with golden tips

Harvest time: May 30, 2014

Taste: A bold but smooth, fruity taste with a lingering, mellow aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Thank you to Teavivre for this free sample.

When I opened the packet I thought it looked like a packet of tiny, dark brown worms. The leaves are small and slightly curly, quite tippy in fact. The dry leaf smells of dark chocolate while the wet leaf and liquor are heading more towards milk chocolate. The liquor is thick and black . It tastes extremely smooth and mellow with elements of leather, malt and cocoa. It reminds me very much of a good breakfast tea. This is not my favourite tea from Teavivre, but it is another solid offering with much to give in terms of depth of flavour and complexity.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Leather, Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 30 sec 4 g 8 OZ / 250 ML
TheTeaFairy

Ewww, worms ;-) but lovely tea nonetheless!

Roughage

Nothing wrong with a nice worm or two! ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one Roughage, don’t even care about the high protein content!!

Roughage

I could not find the version I used to sing forty years ago, but here’s a worm-related song for you. :)

TheTeaFairy

Hahaha! Big fat juicy really, that’s how you like them???

Oh, you are quite a funny guy Dr. Roughage ;-)

1921 tasting notes

Leather seems like a strange ingredient to list for this tea but weirdly it is fitting. This is malty and earthy and definitely has notes reminiscent of leather. Every now and again I get some dark chocolate but not as much as I would have liked. There is also just a touch of pine. Ultimately, it is an interesting blend and though I am finding it enjoyable enough to drink the cup, this is not something I will be stocking just as a result of my own tastes. Nonetheless, thank you Dexter for the opportunity to try this tea. You are awesome!!

donkeytiara

I have a sample of this tea and will be tasting it with Harney’s Hao Ya A and B….. it should be interesting!

I guess I was expecting something more exotic, but expectations aside, this is a very smooth balanced black tea, very good quality. I’m trying to expand my horizons, but unflavored blacks just don’t seem to move me right now.

donkeytiara

funny how we go through phases with teas, isn’t it? I’ve sort of temporarily burned out on some blacks, but am quite keen on others….

Tamarindel

It is! Plus I’ve noticed that over time, I pick up on nuances in a tea that I didn’t taste the first time I drank it. So what I like always seems to be in flux. I guess we’re fortunate that there are so many teas out there to choose from!

The pots I brewed with the 2 methods listed on the tea website tasted too strongly of leather for my taste. So, I brewed a final pot using the one method I’ve found so far that toned down the leather flavor of the Teavivre black teas, the “Chinese Gongfu Way” for the Golden Monkey tea (4s rinse, 10s brew, not quite boiling water).

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Leather

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

My very first Keemun tea……

Uh.

I am not really noticing much smoke, but perhaps I should’ve steeped for 2 min rather than 3, because this cup is super bitter and hurts my teeth :/

Sour.

Blech.

I will have to try a resteep for 2 min to see what happens.
Not an awesome first experience so far!

ETA resteep for two min @ 95 degrees wasn’t as bitter by far :)

Terri HarpLady

For this one I think I go with 190F, because full boil brings out the bitterness.

whatshesaid

I think I went with something a bit hotter so thanks for the tip :)

Terri HarpLady

This one is also more ‘rustic’ than some of the other Keemuns, at least in my opinion. :)

Angrboda

Well, not everybody really experiences it as smoky. :) Some keemuns are more flowery than smoky to me. I find the lower grades are more likely to taste a bit smoky and the higher grades more flowery. Personally I tend to prefer the more smoky lower grades. :)

whatshesaid

Ah ok, one thing I feel like I’ve read often in the same phrase were the words “Keemun” and “smoky” so that’s all I had to go by :)

I’d probably prefer less smoky! This wasn’t bad as far as that aspect goes.

@Terri – what do you mean by “rustic”?

Angrboda

It won’t be smoky in the same way as lapsang souchong is smoky because it’s a naturally occuring note in keemun. I find keemun primarily grainy in flavour and then with the smoke as a sort of extra little ’ain’t-I-just-lucky!’ sort of add-on. :)

Terri HarpLady

“rustic” = it’s hard to really say what I mean here, LOL, but I recall comparing this Keemun to Teavivre’s Organic Superfine Fragrant Keemun, in which I categorized this one as being more masculine, and/or less refined. I enjoy them both. Although it’s not my habit to sweeten my teas often, Keemuns are especially nice lightly sweetened, especially if you use Maple syrup to sweeten them. :)

whatshesaid

Mmmm I may have to try that :)

I’ve not had this tea on its own before.

It smells like dark caramel, and maybe plum. The flavour is more malty chocolate though. This would good for the morning instead of coffee.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cocoa, Malt

The Leaf: short, tight, slightly curled, and uniform in size. The color is black to dark brown with only a slight tinge of bronze here and there. The scent is deep and dark with strong malty and peppery overtones.

The Brew: The liquor is a dark golden brown; clear with a medium quantity of visible fuzz. The aroma is deep and malty, similar to a rich Assam. It seems to have some undertones of chocolate and pepper. The taste is strong with a unique slight bitterness. I detect a slight cedar character as well, which might be associated with the peppery aroma. The mouthfeel is fairly dry, and the aftertaste lasts for a long time leaving a roasted maltiness character throughout the mouth.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Cedar, Chocolate, Malt, Peppercorn

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Today was my husband’s birthday, so we decided to try this sample from Angel of Teavivre with our pancakes. It was a great pair-up, and it’s unapologetic brisk, maltiness complimented the meal nicely. Jake loved it! I tend to lean a little more towards blends, and could easily see myself playing with what’s left, as I think it would lend itself wonderfully towards a little mix-up.

You can see pictures here: http://wordsabouttea.blogspot.com/2014/05/premium-keemun-hao-ya-black-tea-by.html

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
TeaVivre

Happy birthday to your husband.

Insomnia has been biting me in the butt again and last night I made a few crucial mistakes. I drank caffeine after dinner and I worked out close to bed time. My milk powered alarm clock then decided to go off, 40 mins earlier than normal. Thank goodness for caffeine and a good cup of tea to get me rocking and rolling this morning.

After a comment from looseTMan on the keenum front I pulled this sample out again. This is another tea that proves my theory I need to give a tea at least 2 tries before rating or making a decision on it. This has been my go to tea this week and the very generous sample from the folks at Teavivre is almost gone. This has the good kind of brisk with a fruity-ness to the tea that I can’t quite explain. I pulled this tea out to compare to the wp pin peak keenum and they are both wonderful. I would keep both in my cupboard. The pine peak has a more bread like flavor and this has more fruit accents. A good morning cup!

boychik

Have you tried Superfine? I don’t have it, just wanted to know your opinion.

ashmanra

I have, boychik. I is very good, but I think I am going to add one of their other keemuns to my cupboard for breakfast, as I love the Superfine for afternoons.

boychik

ashmanra, I was going to get only one Keemun to my cupboard. Now you make it more difficult haha. So which one would you get as breakfast tea? You probably had them all, right?

TeaTiff

I haven’t had the superfine yet. I was looking at the teavivre site and there was a sample pack that had a few of the teas I havne’t tried yet. The Superfine was in that pack. What makes the supperfine good for afternoon vs breakfast ashmarnra?

looseTman

Superfine is more elegant. Premium is smooth, Robust & more cost-effective. I’ve reviewed all 4 TeaVivre Keemun & just ordered another 500g of it.

I wrote a note but it ran away. :(
Basically, the cut up leaf bits brewed up quick. It’s a bit astringent but still smooth and sweet enough to be quite the pleasant cup. Love the deep reddish brown.

For the second steep, I let it sit a long time in the water, then added cream. Mmm, this is good with cream. Seemed like it would be as it had the potential to be strong and very astringent. Best British style tea I’ve had in a while.

Now if only someone in this office would stop spraying air freshener, I’d enjoy this tea a lot more. Ugh. It doesn’t even smell in here or anything. What gives?

Oh, also turns out I’ve had this before. Still good!