Premium Keemun Hao Ya Black Tea

Chinese Keemun Black Tea
Cocoa, Leather, Malt, Smoke, Earth, Chocolate, Fruity, Sweet, Dark Chocolate, Cedar, Peppercorn
High
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

4 Images

• “I got to add a bit of this back to my stash thanks to LiberTeas! I'm having a cup right now! It's awesome...I'm so happy to have this tea back in my stash! Thanks LiberTEAs!” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “This is the most second most expensive keemun in teavivres arsenal and i think it might be the one i like least. Which, of course suits me just fine lol. The aroma of this one reminds me of...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “2 minute steep. Smoke on the Water (live) blasting. I’m ready. I love the dark chocolate smell of the dry leaf. The wet leaf has a good black tea scent but is slightly smoky, and I am nervous. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1326 tasting notes
  • “I enjoy having Keemun as a breakfast tea. Even if I am naughty most of the time and miss the most important meal of the day I never forget my morning tea. Keemun is so rich and malty that it works...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1096 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Qimen, Anhui, China

Ingredients: Dark black, glossy thin buds topped with golden tips

Harvest time: May 30, 2014

Taste: A bold but smooth, fruity taste with a lingering, mellow aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

I wrote a note but it ran away. :(
Basically, the cut up leaf bits brewed up quick. It’s a bit astringent but still smooth and sweet enough to be quite the pleasant cup. Love the deep reddish brown.

For the second steep, I let it sit a long time in the water, then added cream. Mmm, this is good with cream. Seemed like it would be as it had the potential to be strong and very astringent. Best British style tea I’ve had in a while.

Now if only someone in this office would stop spraying air freshener, I’d enjoy this tea a lot more. Ugh. It doesn’t even smell in here or anything. What gives?

Oh, also turns out I’ve had this before. Still good!

Many thanks to Angel for sending me a monster amount of samples, including this one. I’ve had limited experience with keemuns up until now, but I’m sure many here know that I’m kind of whiny when it comes to anything smoky and/or earthy. It’s amazing how our senses of smell and taste are interconnected, because I feel the exact same way about earthy fragrances.

This one isn’t too smoky, but I’ll admit that I was anticipating something maltier based on the fragrance of the delicate, wispy dry leaves. This particular keemun yields a muted, sweetened smoke, more akin with a (very distant) campfire rather than tobacco, though. There’s very minimal astringency. As the cup cools, I’m getting a bit of malt in the background but the smoke is the prominent note for me.

I greatly appreciate having the chance to try another keemun. It’s helping me verify what my stance is on them.

Maaaaaple…..

Terri HarpLady

Yup, add a little maple!

Fjellrev

If I had any, I most definitely would. :)

Stephanie

oh sweet, I will try this with maple next time!

stephanie… smoky teas + maple syrup = instantly awesome.

(and i never add sweetner to my teas)

Had a cup of this yesterday and I’m nearing the end of my sample of it.

This is a nice smooth black tea that does well on it’s own, or with milk and sugar.. of course I had to try it that way.

I will be sad to see this one go but I look forward to trying more straight blacks to find one that works as that nice basic black tea that I won’t fret about adding things to because it’s “too good” a tea to mess with. Although it would be nice to have a small amount of a tea like this to fill that need too.

I’m thinking about adding things to a basic black like cocoa nuts, mint, coconut, and maybe some things I can find at my health food store … Might be fun.

Despite their popularity, Keemun black teas remain one of the black tea “families,” to which I have not heavily been exposed. Thus, with the opportunity to try this tea, I am eager to brew a cup. Teavivre’s website makes suggestions for brewing this tea gongfu-style or as a whole pot, Western-style.

I opted to use a Finum infuser basket to brew a single cup. Into the basket went a teaspoon of the black tea leaves. Then I placed it in a mug and poured water, which had just finished boiling, over it. Time-wise, it was a bit of a toss-up. The website suggests two to five minutes. After two and a half, for which I set the timer initially, the tea looked and smelled a bit weak, so I left it for another minute (three and a half minutes in total). When the timer rang, and I removed the brew basket from the mug, I stopped to smell the tea…and was intrigued.

Instantly, I could tell that this tea was different than most of the black teas I consume. The smell was a complex combination of a number of aromas. Foremost, I noted spiciness. The peppery spice walked alongside a sweeter spiciness, which seemed almost like cinnamon but devolved into the malty body of the scent. Oddly, there was a bit of a floral aspect to it, which puzzled me but compounded the experience.

The first sip carries those aromas into taste. The foretaste is surprisingly lacking in impression, but, when the tea covers the tongue, all of the nuances emerge. Boldy, the flavor embodies the moderate maltiness. The pepper smell has become a tingling undertone in the taste and mouthfeel of this tea. Highly reminiscent of a breakfast tea, it would pair with food nicely. Three minutes might have been enough for this tea, as I can sense the start of astringency on the edges, but that does not detract from the enjoyment to be found in this cup. On my personal enjoyment scale, I would rate this Keemun black tea an 87/100.

Flavors: Malt, Peppercorn

Thanks so much to Teavivre for providing another round of samples for me to review. I just love trying new teas!

This MIGHT be my first straight keemun?? If not, I am definitely not well versed in them, regardless. I am finding this to be a perfectly bold malty breakfast cup, and although it is sweet, there is a twinge of something a tiny bit sour or tart at the end. But don’t get me wrong, not in a bad way at all! I find this element adds some fruity interest and keeps the tea from being too basic or boring. I think I am going to try it again another day before I give it an official rating, as I’m eating oatmeal with spicy Indian pineapple and golden raisins for breakfast and it might be influencing my palate. Also I am not getting any smoke from this tea even though I hear all the time that keemuns are smoky!

Very enjoyable tea :)

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea is distinctly sweet and a little earthy, and I wouldn’t stop drinking it if I had an endless supply. It is quickly becoming a favorite. The last two times I’ve prepared it I’ve done two steeps, the first for 2 minutes at the recommended temp, then the second adding just a pinch more tea and using boiling water. The second cup is not as strongly sweet in aroma or flavor, allowing more room for the more earthy, malty components to shine

Aroma: Dry Leaf- Sweet, dark chocolate
Wet Leaf- Smokey, bold
Liquor: Deep rusty red
Flavor: Rich, smokey, slight sweetness and a hint of bitter aftertaste
Notes: Thank you teavivre for this free sample! Although it wasn’t my favorite, I’ve just started to experiment with black teas so maybe the taste will grow on me. It did have some interesting flavors going on, but I didn’t really care for the bitter taste at the end.

This tea has a subtle flavor of earthy hay and tastes of cocoa with a slight fruitiness. The flavors balance well and it has a mellow aftertaste.

205 °F / 96 °C

Best keemun I have tasted, notes of dark chocolate and malt.