Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea Full-Leaf

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix orange pekoe colored buds with black leaves

Harvest time: May 8, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So this was one of the samples I got from Teavivre’s reviewers sample offer. This is actually the second time I’ve had this, but the first time it was kinda unexpected since the packet had split open during transit and I wanted to use some so I could tape the packet closed.
This time around I was much more prepared, though I’m not sure I used the correct amount of leaf since there was no recommendation on the packet. But it turned out nicely anyway. Lol.
It’s gota pretty strong roasty taste to it, with an added woody element, but it’s also oddly sweet. I get a small bit of maltyness but I mostly get woodsy/roasty tastes. Very little astringency which is nice. And the more I ponder each sip, I get a vague peppery sory of feeling/taste.
It’s not really to my taste at the moment, but I’m not about to pour my mug of it out because of that. Lol. I’ll probly end up either giving the remaining two packets to friends/family, or keeping them to add to the travelling tea box I’m pondering on putting together.

Unrelated note but I wanted to vent – typing this on my Ipad stinks. It deleted this at first, but I found out you can undo typing (or in this case deleting text accidentally) by shaking the ipad and it’ll give you an ‘undo typing’ prompt. I wish I had know this sooner since it would’ve saved me much frustration. Lol.

The dry leaves smell chocolatey. The brewed tea retains some of this, with a decided winey taste. I need to drink it a few more times to say anything.