Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea Full-Leaf

Yunnan Black Tea
Apricot, Baked Bread, Creamy, Grain, Hay, Honey, Oats
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix orange pekoe colored buds with black leaves

Harvest time: May 8, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

This was one of the teas waiting for me when I came back from trying tea in SF Chinatown. Since I still don’t have a gaiwan, I brewed this in the Western electric kettle method.

There is a kinda malty cocoa scent in both the dry leaves and the brew. The chocolate comes out more in the flavour. Went well with Ghiradelli minis.
Cameron B.

I need to try my sample of this and see where it fits between Gold Tips and the regular version. :D

Lariel

I haven’t tried the regular version yet, but the Gold Tips has more fabulous sweet potato flavour.

Another new and delicious China black tea for me, the dried leaves of Yun Nan Diang Hong are probably the biggest I’ve ever seen for black tea: long and twisted, with nearly an equal number of tan as dark chocolate brown pieces. The scent is quite rich and seems to be closer to Golden Monkey than, say, to Congou. Also closer to Bailin Gongfu, which I also found to be related to Golden Monkey. Golden Monkey is the sweetest, most caramelly of the three, but they all have a rich and decadent, foody quality.

The liquor brewed up orange amber, and there was so much color to the remaining drops in the glass pot, that I recognized that the apparently spent leaves were still literally oozing with flavor. A second infusion confirmed that this tea, like Golden Monkey, produces an enjoyable second glass—in fact, nearly as good as the first.

I had been focusing mainly on Teavivre’s green tea offerings, but now I see that there is just as much new terrain to be covered among the black teas! I’ll definitely be stocking a supply of this excellent tea. I noticed at the website that there are three different versions. This one is a winner for sure!

(7/29/14)

boychik

i like this more than Teavivre’s other two Yunnan. it is a winner;)

sherapop

I agree, boychik—on my wish list. ;-)

Queued post, written April 27th 2014

I received this one from Courtney and I thought it rang a bell. I know I’ve had some of Teavivre’s Yunnans before, but I couldn’t remember if it was this one. I had a look through the database, and found I was both right and wrong. I had had one before, but it was not this one.

This has an aroma of lots of grain and a good deal of cocoa. The grainy note is very close to freshly baked rye bread, actually. One baked with sourdough, I think. (How detailed is that!)

It’s got quite a sweet flavour with a smidge of chocolate-y cocoa to it. For me, cocoa and chocolate are not the same flavours at all. There is a significant difference to it sometimes. It has to do with how it feels in the mouth as well. For this particular tea, though, it seems to fall right between the two and I can’t decide if I think it’s more one or the other.

It’s thankfully free of that hay-ness that plagues Yunnan blacks for me and instead has a good deal of malty grain to it. On the aftertaste I’m getting that note that some people think is like black pepper and I don’t really think it is, but I can see why they say so.

I thought initially that I would compare this to the Teavivre Yunnan I had before, but my experience of this one was so different from the other that comparing them serves no purpose.

whatshesaid

Your reviews are very helpful to me as I try to figure out what I love and which specific teas I should try on the way :)

Angrboda

Thank you. :)

Tea of the morning…..

And I am now down to half of the sweetener I have been using. Luckily, a good quality tea doesn’t need much if at all in the way of additives. One of these days, I will be drinking it without additions. I just couldn’t do it cold turkey, so I decided to try to work my way down. I am not sure I would have even tackled it, but I am trying to cut out non-whole food kinds of things from my diet plus grains and sugar. Just in the week and a half I have been skipping the grains and sugar, I feel so much better. It makes me wonder if I had a wheat sensitivity.

Anyway, the tea is very good. Not as sweet potatoey as the golden tip version of this tea, not as earthy as the lower grade. I am going to refresh my memory on the other grades of this tea. I may be trading up my basic Dian Hong. Stay tuned.

Usual teapot method with a resteep at 6 minutes that is very good!

So this was one of the samples I got from Teavivre’s reviewers sample offer. This is actually the second time I’ve had this, but the first time it was kinda unexpected since the packet had split open during transit and I wanted to use some so I could tape the packet closed.
This time around I was much more prepared, though I’m not sure I used the correct amount of leaf since there was no recommendation on the packet. But it turned out nicely anyway. Lol.
It’s gota pretty strong roasty taste to it, with an added woody element, but it’s also oddly sweet. I get a small bit of maltyness but I mostly get woodsy/roasty tastes. Very little astringency which is nice. And the more I ponder each sip, I get a vague peppery sory of feeling/taste.
It’s not really to my taste at the moment, but I’m not about to pour my mug of it out because of that. Lol. I’ll probly end up either giving the remaining two packets to friends/family, or keeping them to add to the travelling tea box I’m pondering on putting together.

Unrelated note but I wanted to vent – typing this on my Ipad stinks. It deleted this at first, but I found out you can undo typing (or in this case deleting text accidentally) by shaking the ipad and it’ll give you an ‘undo typing’ prompt. I wish I had know this sooner since it would’ve saved me much frustration. Lol.

The dry leaves smell chocolatey. The brewed tea retains some of this, with a decided winey taste. I need to drink it a few more times to say anything.