Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea Full-Leaf

Yunnan Black Tea
Chocolate, Honey, Wheat, Earth, Fruity, Malt, Sweet, Creamy, Apricot, Hay, Pepper, Baked Bread, Grain, Oats
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix orange pekoe colored buds with black leaves

Harvest time: May 8, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

This tea has a nice malty aroma. It has a light sweet taste with flavors of chocolate and honey wheat. It is a decent black tea, but it is more adequate than impressive.

Flavors: Chocolate, Honey, Wheat

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Finally getting down to this sample I ordered a few months ago. Sooo behind on these. Ripping open the packet, I initially picked up on an aroma akin to sweet potato chips. Then a touch of malt and honey. But mostly crunchy sweet potato.

The malt and sweet potato switch places in flavour, however. I hardly get the latter, but the malt is dominant, although even then, it’s also delicate. The flavour profile in general is very gentle and mild. I like it, but I wouldn’t purchase more.

Please keep things friendly and .

Compared to teavivre’s golden tipped version, the dry leaf of this is larger and darker with a bit of gold. Scent is slightly less fragrant but still lovely.
Brews a darker cup and tastes more of chocolate and less potato, so perhaps a wee bit less delicate in taste as compared to the golden tip. Very delicious!!
I am glad I bought this and have gone through my bag quickly. I will certainly restock.

Please keep things friendly and .

It’s 10 degrees in my neck of the woods this morning. That’s a little chilly for South Carolina. Ten degrees is probably a little chilly for polar bears. All is not lost, though, as I am about to try out a new tea (new for me) from Teavivre on this arctic morning!

When I opened the customary Teavivre silver double packaging, my nostrils were immediately greeted by the rich, leathery, sweet, and earthy aroma that is a trademark of my favorite Teavivre black teas. This made me even more anxious to begin the brewing process.

I steeped the long black and brown full tea leaves for three minutes at 195 degrees. The finished color was a dark reddish amber. The aroma was sweet with a slight honey quality.

The taste of this tea was instantly complex. After about my third sip, my taste buds began to disseminate the different flavor sensations. Sweet, fruity, and malty were all recognized. There also was just the right twinge of earthiness to cap off a fine flavor symphony. As with several of Teavivre’s teas, this one was so smooth that I had to force myself to savor each sip and not gulp it down.

There was no astringency to this blend. The aftertaste was light and gentle. It dissipated as if in a delicate mist.

You probably have surmised by now that I like this tea. Wrong! I LOVE this tea! It’s another terrific selection from the folks at Teavivre. This one is a bit more expensive than some of their other black teas but I am already saving my pennies for my next order!

Flavors: Earth, Fruity, Malt, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

I received this tea in the Anniversary sale from TeaVivre. Thank you!

All 4 Dian Hong teas have been on my wish list. I have currently only tried the Golden tip. I know it is most folks favorite, but for me the flavors were more fruity and almost tart instead of sweet. I am finding that I like black teas that have deeper notes like cocoa, wood, smoke (well kinda). This tea for me seemed to be a good combination of both worlds. It had a darker flavor with hints of cocoa, but the finish of the sip was very fruity. I enjoyed this western style and was able to re-steep this 4 times. I actually enjoyed the 2nd steep the most. The flavors were tilted more towards the darker side and less on the fruity side. Thank you TeaVivre for the opportunity to try this tea. I hope that we get to meet again some day.

Please keep things friendly and .

Dry leaf aroma: Licorice candy sweetness, sweet potato, slight peppery
Brewed tea: Creamy, sharp sweetness, full mouth taste

Flavors: Creamy, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

This twiggy looking tea has a nice peppery note, which surprisingly stuck around for the second steep. The faint spice mixes into dash of malty hay and the syrupy sweet flavours of honey and overripe stone fruit. This bright orange tea is fitting on this warm autumn day.

Thanks for the sample, Amariel!

Flavors: Apricot, Hay, Honey, Malt, Pepper

Please keep things friendly and .

The leaves of this are long and twisted into tight strands. There’s a nice splattering of golden tips, maybe 25-30% golden tips. The dry sent smells like bread honey and a hint of smoke. Like fresh crusty straight from the oven bread that’s got a little bit of charred spots on it, drizzled with a healthy helping of honey. The wet leaf loses most of that smokey note, leaving just perfectly cooked bread and honey.

1.5tsp, 8oz water, 195F, 1,1,2,4, minute steeps. Sweetened with stevia.

Oh wow, definitely a fruity note here. I don’t always get fruity notes in black teas that other people experience fruit notes, but this really tastes like apricots. There’s also the crusty hearty bread, and honey, and some grainy notes. This is a thick slab of fresh baked 9 grain bread, smothered in apricot jam, and drizzled with honey. I should have used a longer steep time with cup two, because it’s a bit more weak, and loses the apricot jam and grain notes.

Third cup I accidentally let go cold, still good, bread and honey, but wish I tried it hot. Forth cup some cocoa comes out to play. And some sweet potato. It’s now light bodied and the texture is a touch thin, though.

Yum. Next time, I think I’ll do 1,2,3 and then maybe 5-6 minute steep. Definitely delicious. More thick slab of bread while the Golden Tip version they have is more sweet potato fries. Both delicious and I don’t think I could choose which I like more!

Please keep things friendly and .

I ordered a sample of this tea in my last order, as I thought it would be fun to try another version of the yunnan Dian hong. I love the golden tips one so much! This version is darker, more malty, but still has some sweet potato goodness. I think I prefer the golden tips, but I wouldn’t pass this up if it was offered to me!

Sweet potato…yum!

Lariel of Lórien

This and the golden tips make good breakfast teas.

I totally agree, Lariel!

Terri HarpLady

Any tea that tastes like sweet potato is awesome in my book :)

Please keep things friendly and .

I could swear that I reviewed this before, but I couldn’t find it. It’s majestic. For some reason that’s the first word that came to my mind. It is strong, proud, malty and just a big old ball of yum. The second steep is as strong as the first one, and I think I will try for a third. It’s quite delicious.