Ripened Aged Pu-erh Mini Tuocha

Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Mushrooms, Sweet, Leather, Wet Earth, Wood
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Scott
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 8 g 11 oz / 325 ml

• “Mini tuocha, please help a fairy in needs of relief! I ate too much. When I do, puerh always comes to rescue. I don’t know how it can be so soothing, but it just is. I don’t have...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 435 tasting notes
  • “I has a happy! Tomorrow is a birthday in the family, so my son and his girlfriend, and my godson are all staying here for a few days. Today we had the birthday pizza, and my son told me to make...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1963 tasting notes
  • “For part of my Christmas my son put a program on my computer called Kerbal Space Program. You design and launch spacecraft. So far I been able to attain a good circular orbit and today I even made...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1511 tasting notes
  • “And there we go. The second steep completely opened up the leaves and a much better cup results. Why do tuocha get packed so tightly? Are they "superior" in some way to fermented pu-erh...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Pu’er, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Shredded leaves compressed into birds nest shape and individually wrapped

Harvest time: Made in May 2007

Taste: A complex mellow and rich flavour

Brew: One tuocha for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Pu-erh tea is a great fat busting weight loss product. It is known for centuries for its ability to help digest fatty foods, increase the metabolism and reduce cholesterol levels. This tea is also good for those who are looking for long term weight maintenance. Eating healthier foods and drinking this wonderful tea, especially after meals is the key to a successful diet. It also contains polyphones which attacks free radicals, which protects you from various diseases.

About Teavivre View company

Fantastic. So good, earthy, smooth. Not fishy at all.

I received this and four other teas from TeaVivre for sampling, so I will use my faded journalistic integrity to provide a bias-free review ;)

Taking the advise of Jim Marks, I did not rinse this lovely little tuocha. 45 seconds for first steep in a 250ml gaiwan, there is a tiny bit of fishy smell emanating from my mug. I thought I would be turned off by it, but I don’t mind it actually. It’s really mellow and blends nicely with the additional scents of hay in this tea.

As this is my first tuocha, I didn’t want to steep it for very long during the first run. That turned out to be a good idea; this tastes smooth and light! There is a little bit of hay on the tip of the tongue, and I can tell there is going to be some additional sweetness in subsequent steeps.

Gonna play more Skyrim and have a few more cups of this!

EDIT: Second steep was 30 seconds, and it’s way darker than the first. Stronger, more pronounced flavours. Still quite nice!

This would be a good puerh, as others note, to use as an intro for the uninitiated. It has a pleasant woodsy, fresh-mushroomy, wet-leaf atmosphere without being at all dank (or fishy). Also there’s some distinct clean leather in the first steep, nice. Medium body, not too light. Smooth, no edge. A hint of sweetness leaning toward malt as well. Also leaves a nice little tingle in the mouth.

Thanks to Teavivre for sending a sample of this my way, I am enjoying it!

This is a household favorite for myself and my boyfriend. It is what I consider to be good starter Pu-erh for those that want to dip their toes into Pu-erh tea’s. It has a great flavor with a smooth mouth feel. We like to steep this tea dark and tend to steep for 2 minutes. Color is a dark mahogany with a light earthy aroma that reminds me of fresh mushrooms. The flavor is consistent throughout the first several steeps and is earthy with a pleasant bitter note without being harsh.

Flavors: Dark Bittersweet, Earth, Mushrooms

This tea is tasty, sweet and earthy. The one I received is a 2012 tea although they don’t advertise the production date on the website. It is still fairly earthy for a 2012 tea, I guess mini tuocha do not age fast. In any case it is tasty.

I brewed this once western style with 2 mini tuocha, 10g in an 18oz teapot with boiling water for 30 sec. It makes for a strong tea.

Flavors: Earth, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 10 g 18 OZ / 532 ML

I tried this in the gaiwan. 1 tuocha, 3-4oz water (which started out boiling and cooled off a bit as I went along – I reheated it a couple of times). I went with the Teavivre recommended: rinse(10s),10s,10s,10s,15s,20s,30s. Then I tacked a 1min and 2min steep on the end for good measure. :)

The flavour is earthy, woody, a bit leathery. It reminds me of walking in the woods after the rain, when everything is damp. I was surprised by the thick, almost oily mouthfeel, and the sweetness at the end of the sip, that lingered. Very pleasant, no bitterness or astringency. I sometimes get a bit of a fishy odour off the leaves, but never in the cup. I didn’t perceive much difference from one steeping to the next – the colour was probably darkest in steepings 2-4, but I found the flavour pretty consistent.

This isn’t blowing me away or anything, but I’m happy to have it in my cupboard. I can see myself reaching for it when I’m in the mood for a straight shou pu-erh.

Flavors: Leather, Sweet, Wet Earth, Wood

A sample from KittyLovesTea. Pu-erh still scares me, but I’m determined to keep trying until I understand it. I think I’m making progress with that, slowly but surely! I used 1 tuocha, and gave it 1 minute in boiling water. The liquor is surprisingly light in colour – a golden orange. Many of the pu-erh touchas I’ve tried thus far have verged on dark brown/black even when brewed for a very short time. This makes an encouraging change.

The scent is probably, for me, the worst thing about pu-erh. This one is no exception. The whiff of farmyard at 11 o’clock in the morning is never going to be particularly welcome. Still, I can get past that.

For good reason, it turns out. This is a pu-erh I could actually say that I…like. It tastes fairly mild, but has a warm, earthy, slightly dank flavour, a little like compost mixed with wet mud. I’m not screwing my face up, and I can actually sip this one happily and think about the flavour without wishing I really wasn’t. I guess this is called progress?

Stephanie

Yep, definitely progress. All of a sudden one day you will wake up craving shou ;)

Aroma: Earthy, wet soil
Liquor Color: Deep rusty red
Liquor Flavor: Full bodied, earthy, damp, smooth, slight sweetness
Notes: Unwrapping these reminded me of little chocolate truffles. I placed one in a small tea pot, did a rinse, and brewed this western style for 3 minutes. Once I opened the tea pot, the leaves were loosened up in a way that reminded me of upturned soil. Even though the flavor didn’t appeal to me too much, I have to say, it was interesting and unique. Sip by sip I was transported to a forest, early in the morning with dew still on the ground. I could smell the earthy dampness, and felt the soil beneath my feet. Mushrooms were spread all over the ground. The air was crisp and refreshing. This tuocha was a very visual experience for me. I’m excited to try others to see if I can really take in the whole experience.
Thank you Teavivre for the free sample!

Flavors: Earth, Leather, Mushrooms

The amazing TheTeaFairy sent me this one in a box awhile ago. Thank you so much.

This is a really nice everyday pu’erh. It’s everything that I think a pu’erh should be – a little musty and a little earthy. There isn’t anything offensive here, just a nice shu. I like it’s simplicity. Some of my absolute favorite pu’erh is more complex than this, but sometimes you just want something nice and easy. This works for those situations.

Thanks TheTeaFairy for sending this one my way – I didn’t find the leather, but was nice to spend a couple of hours with this one today.

TheTeaFairy

Glad you liked this one, my favourite everyday pu’erh, like you said, sometimes you just want nice & easy ( lol, the leather just doesn’t want you to find it!)

Dexter

LOL after today’s experiment I’m going to just quit looking for it – maybe if I stop looking it will suddenly make it’s self known.

I have to offer my sincere thanks to Angel at Teavivre for offering me this low risk opportunity to educate myself about puerh’s by sending me some wonderful samples.

Puerh have many attributes I should appreciate, a rich coffee like texture and in this case mouth feel, spice, long lasting leaves ( I tend to resteep), and interesting and evolving flavour profiles. I enjoy the cheap flavoured one I have on occasion, but I have been hesitant to experiment because I don’t know enough about them and I am afraid of fishy flavours ( this goes to a long standing dislike of fish since early childhood).

I am pleased to say that I need not of worried this tea is quite pleasant and reminds me of the spicy, leathery Yunnan’s I’ve got from a Polish company with the added tingle of a drawn espresso. I steeped this tea 15 times to this point and it still has a pleasant flavour. I found notes of leather, spice sandalwood, cocoa, tangy fruit settling into creamy papaya cream, coffee, charcoal, eucalyptus, earth, and vanilla. I quite enjoyed this tea and it has opened up in me an interest in exploring puerhs further. So thanks for the opportunity Angel!
Faint smokeyleathery note of some Yunnan’s mixed with a hint of hay.broken but tight packed leaves. 2 rinses, 5 second brew

Spicy, with a tangy fruity , note, hint of leather, settled ssmokey scent, like a town where wood smoke is the dominant fuel and has settled in the air, cocoa.

Taste rich and thick, herbaceous bitter note, hint of charcoal, over leather, hint of coffee, powdery spicy note, tingling on the tongue. Sensation of cocoa powder on tongue but not a strong cocoa taste., hint of sweet and tangy fruit..
Need a sieve because tea is very fine and broken leaves.
No astringency, smooth. feeling of cream on tongue. Reminds me of a sunny fall brisk day

5s. Sweeter, with fruitier tones of malt, stronger hint of cocoa, spice and leather, hint of aged straw, spicy fallen fall leaves.

Smooth powdered cocoa, spice and leather, coffee notes on tongue, earthy note with hints of sandalwood. Smooth, sweeter in scent than taste, but hint of creamy sweet fruit, almost papaya like.

7s. Slightly lighter peach tinged colour liquid dark but clear.
Scent similar to aabove.

Leather spice, hint of earth and eucalyptus, fruity slightly tart tone , espresso, slightly sweeter, tint of cocoa.

10s. Scent similar, colour similar to a strongly brewed full leaf Assam.
Hints of malt, eearth/seaweed, leather, spice euca!yptus, malt cocoa, slight hint of tartness and bubly sensation of espresso dissipating.

15s seaweed, tart currant, leather,malt, spice

Eucalyptus, leather, espresso sensation, hint of cocoa, touch of malt and ccurrant, spice.
20s. Malt, leather, spice,cocoa

Earth,spice,cocoa,leather, creamy fruit, touch of sweetness.

30s. Same
Cream,leather,spice, malt, cocoa, a bit of papaya. Espresso tones on tongue.

40s peach coloured same
Same as above but more fruit tinged cream and less espresso.

60s similar sscent with a stronger seaweed note.
Similar ttaste, bright eucalyptus note and slightly weaker.

120s. Peach tinged sepia.
Stronger malt and spicy leather.
Soft leather,spice, eucalyptus, cream, touch of oatmeal, finished by malt, tangy fruit, and a tingling sensation at front of mouth

180 s. Soft cream, leather fruit, spice, tingling.

240s. Sweet cream, leather, cocoa note papaya tinged with vanilla tingling dissipating.

300s. Sweet cream, fruit, malt, leather tingling

360. Cream sweet fruit leather tingling.

600s. ditto.

__Morgana__

Wow, that’s a lot of steeps!

looseTman