Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea

Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Molasses, Orange Zest, Citrus, Malt, Earth, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I had this for my morning cup. I did not have time to sit at home and sip. So I brewed a cup, poured it in a travel mug, grabbed my guitar and went out the door. This smells so cocoa and malt when...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1569 tasting notes
  • “Today was my birthday!!! Which meant a self-assigned day of doing whatever I wanted. Well, for the most part. I would have really liked to sit around and chill a bit more, but I wound up going to a...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 324 tasting notes
  • “This tea is doing double duty – first tea in the new house and first review with the new system! I am using my phone but so far so good. The site is still super clunky on my phone but the...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 707 tasting notes
  • “This arrived yesterday and was an impulse buy thanks to the awesome Teavivre Black Friday sale. The leaves are dark brown with some golden tips and stem amongst them. They are small for...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1281 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix of golden buds and dark leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 205 ºF (95 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I requested samples of all three of the Yun Nan Dian Hong and unintentionally started with the most affordable. As such I won’t give this a numerical rating until I’ve tried the full leaf and the golden tips, which hopefully will be today.

However initial observations are that while this is a very good value and has decent leaf, it is not well suited to short steep times, which is fine as I am looking for a Yunnan for my husband who prefers western brewing anyway and I will prepare it for him in that matter. At the moment I am just trying to educate myself on this variety, I’m very curious how my taste buds will react to more tea buds.

This third steep at around a minute is really quite delicious and has much more flavor that the two previous at 15 and 30 secs. I unfortunately have a sore throat today, but this is quite soothing. This is the sweetest of the infusions and it also has some initial spice that smooths out later in the cup. Thank you Angel and Teavivre, I will add more are I do a side by side brewing this weekend with the husband.

I’m at work, gulping down a glassful of this tea.

Pleasant. Malty. Slight fruitiness present, could be more. Thinnish.
This works fairly well brewn in a glass grandpa style.
Colour is beautiful golden brown, as it should be. Leaves are shorter than I would have expected from Dian Hong-

This isn’t very interesting. Not particularly intense, not complex, no notable qi, npt strikingly harmonious.
This is a good, pleasant, casual Dian Hong.

decided to place an order with teavivre a few weeks ago. mainly wanted to try out their bailin gongfu and figured i would pick up samples of other black teas while i was at it, i ended up buying this tea in a larger quantity because the value seemed very good and it was well reviewed here at steepster.

few notes on the teavivre packaging, everything came in bags(generic like most companys) but teavivre only puts 3.5oz into each bag and has the teas inside the zip bag in another bag, superior packaging imo.

the tea itself when you open the bag it smells sweet even spicy; a really pleasant aroma. taste wise it reminds me a lot of an earl gray at first…. just a really subtleness of the same flavor. the sweetness/mild spicyness comes through pretty well to the taste, also has a nice heavy mouthfeel

at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, was interesting but reminded me of earl gray too much(wasnt fond of); after a week-two of drinking ive taken a liking to it(complex teas take a while for me to get acclimated to.. had this experience with a fujian in the past)

overall so far this outshines the bailin gonfu for me, really glad i picked up more than a sample size of this…. great value tea, good tasting especially to those of you who prefer sweeter teas(blacks)

This is a great all around Yunnan tea when it comes to taste, smell, and price. Has the notes on taste that remind me of fig cookies. Nice, smooth, and medium bodied… not too light; not overly strong either. It doesn’t need sugar but I like to add some anyways, which tends to bring out flavors that make me think of mild molasses.
Iced it tastes a little bit like a Keemun tea. Very good hot or cold.

I’ve had the golden tips and the full leaf, but not this one, so I picked up a sample in my last order. The leaves are pretty…dark brown/black with a few golden strands mixed in. The color of the liquor is also a beautiful red color, even in first infusion. It tastes sweet, with subtle notes of malt, cherry, and potato. It reminds me a little bit of Whispering Pines’ Wildcrafted Dian Hong. Maybe I should do a side by side comparison with the rest of my sample. Super smooth, but light in flavor, overall. I wouldn’t mind drinking more of this and I don’t think it’s terribly pricey either. :)

i had it 2 yrs ago maybe. i remember it like simple everyday black

Tealizzy

Well that sounds boring! Ha! Maybe it got better?

boychik

Possible. new harvest is always different.

I ended up brewing this way too long, but it still had some nice notes. It was bitter since I oversteeped and I haven’t had the chance to try again with this tea. Definitely has a nice earthy sweetness to it.

190 °F / 87 °C 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Thank you Marzipan for the sample! I picked this one out at her house yesterday, because I’m trying to decide which Black Friday Dian Hong I want to order. This is good! I think I WILL order this one, even though its 30% off and the Full Leaf is 40% off. Even with the discount difference this one still ends up cheaper!

boychik

i will send you mine. im not drinking it. get yourself something else

Stephanie

Well now I have to make a decision all over again boychik! Helping but not helping LOL :) Maybe I’ll get some rice shou on Black Friday then instead, yum…

sorry ;-)

vc

I really like this one as well! Since the full leaf version is on sale I’ve decided to get both :)

Thanks to Cameron B for this sample! I’ve been curious about Teavivre offerings for a while, and you can hardly go wrong with Dian Hong.

The dry leaf for this one comes in small, dark twists. I was expecting more of a gold-buds type of tea, though it does brew up to a dark golden color. There is very little dry aroma, while the brewed tea smells richly of malt and bread, similar to other Yunnan teas I’ve tried. The taste of this brew is also rich and malty, with one thing that distinguishes it from similar teas: there’s a lingering, almost floral tea fragrance that reminds me of lighter black teas and even green oolongs. It adds a bit of freshness to the overall experience, which is less decadent than some others of its kind, but uniquely enjoyable.

Got this during the Teavivre sale as an everyday kind of tea. I can definitely drink this everyday! Smooth but strong, with a hint of cocoa, honey and sweetness to it.

While I technically have about 25g of this hanging out in a tin with some Madagascar vanilla beans, I’m still counting this as a sipdown since the package is empty. I bought this during Teavivre’s Anniversary sale and will probably pick some up during their next sale (If I’ve gotten my cupboard under control) as it’s well priced and quite tasty. Nice and cocoa-y with some citrus notes and no astringency. I’ll miss it, but I’m sure it won’t be gone for long.

Flavors: Cocoa, Orange Zest