Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by Uniquity

• “I had this for my morning cup. I did not have time to sit at home and sip. So I brewed a cup, poured it in a travel mug, grabbed my guitar and went out the door. This smells so cocoa and malt when...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1161 tasting notes
  • “Today was my birthday!!! Which meant a self-assigned day of doing whatever I wanted. Well, for the most part. I would have really liked to sit around and chill a bit more, but I wound up going to a...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 288 tasting notes
  • “This tea is doing double duty - first tea in the new house and first review with the new system! I am using my phone but so far so good. The site is still super clunky on my phone but the font is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 675 tasting notes
  • “This arrived yesterday and was an impulse buy thanks to the awesome Teavivre Black Friday sale. The leaves are dark brown with some golden tips and stem amongst them. They are small for the...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 984 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix of golden buds and dark leaves

Harvest time: Hand-picked in March, 2011

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 205 ºF (95 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I requested samples of all three of the Yun Nan Dian Hong and unintentionally started with the most affordable. As such I won’t give this a numerical rating until I’ve tried the full leaf and the golden tips, which hopefully will be today.

However initial observations are that while this is a very good value and has decent leaf, it is not well suited to short steep times, which is fine as I am looking for a Yunnan for my husband who prefers western brewing anyway and I will prepare it for him in that matter. At the moment I am just trying to educate myself on this variety, I’m very curious how my taste buds will react to more tea buds.

This third steep at around a minute is really quite delicious and has much more flavor that the two previous at 15 and 30 secs. I unfortunately have a sore throat today, but this is quite soothing. This is the sweetest of the infusions and it also has some initial spice that smooths out later in the cup. Thank you Angel and Teavivre, I will add more are I do a side by side brewing this weekend with the husband.

I’m at work, gulping down a glassful of this tea.

Pleasant. Malty. Slight fruitiness present, could be more. Thinnish.
This works fairly well brewn in a glass grandpa style.
Colour is beautiful golden brown, as it should be. Leaves are shorter than I would have expected from Dian Hong-

This isn’t very interesting. Not particularly intense, not complex, no notable qi, npt strikingly harmonious.
This is a good, pleasant, casual Dian Hong.

decided to place an order with teavivre a few weeks ago. mainly wanted to try out their bailin gongfu and figured i would pick up samples of other black teas while i was at it, i ended up buying this tea in a larger quantity because the value seemed very good and it was well reviewed here at steepster.

few notes on the teavivre packaging, everything came in bags(generic like most companys) but teavivre only puts 3.5oz into each bag and has the teas inside the zip bag in another bag, superior packaging imo.

the tea itself when you open the bag it smells sweet even spicy; a really pleasant aroma. taste wise it reminds me a lot of an earl gray at first…. just a really subtleness of the same flavor. the sweetness/mild spicyness comes through pretty well to the taste, also has a nice heavy mouthfeel

at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, was interesting but reminded me of earl gray too much(wasnt fond of); after a week-two of drinking ive taken a liking to it(complex teas take a while for me to get acclimated to.. had this experience with a fujian in the past)

overall so far this outshines the bailin gonfu for me, really glad i picked up more than a sample size of this…. great value tea, good tasting especially to those of you who prefer sweeter teas(blacks)

This is a great all around Yunnan tea when it comes to taste, smell, and price. Has the notes on taste that remind me of fig cookies. Nice, smooth, and medium bodied… not too light; not overly strong either. It doesn’t need sugar but I like to add some anyways, which tends to bring out flavors that make me think of mild molasses.
Iced it tastes a little bit like a Keemun tea. Very good hot or cold.

I found an overlooked sample packet of this today and will have to add to the already positive comments. I’ve enjoyed many black teas from Teavivre. This one is a really nice surprise because of its great price, yet it still tastes like a good quality tea. I brewed it just under boiling for 2 minutes, then re-steeped for 2 1/2 minutes. No bitterness and good hot or cold. I will include it in my next Teavivre for an every day drinking tea.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is a sample from TheTeaFairy who writes this is “a really good straight black”. I had my doubts because up until now there was no such thing as a good straight black. But since tonight I’m not interested in the chocolate teas I’ve been guzzling like mad, polishing them off slowly, I thought I’d bite the bullet and have this. Steeled myself for great unpleasantness and followed the steeping instructions: 1.5 tsp, 2 minutes, 95C. Well, it was more like 203F but hey, close enough.

Cautious sniff, cautious sip… wait a minute, this … this is not bad. Does not need sugar or cream, in fact I find it vegetal enough at the back that I think it would taste weird with sugar added. I don’t know about malty, like someone said, to me this is more like a dark roasted oolong.

Thank you, TheTeaFairy I like this!

Dexter3657

Yay!!! “Not bad” is a step forward in your straight tea exploration. :))

Nxtdoor

Yes, yes, Dex, i agree! I don’t have much to compare it to. I tried a straight Kusmi tea before and it scared me off.

Dexter3657

If you like this one, then you might want to take a look at other Yunnan blacks. Yunnan is my favorite – there are lots of good ones out there. Baby steps though – adjust to the possibility of not being scare off of all blacks. (I think you should like Laoshan Black – it is so sweet and chocolatey… but I’ve been wrong before). :))

yay glad you tried a black you liked!!

Nxtdoor

I am fantasizing about a verdant order in the near future. It’s been months since my last tea order. I will definitely add the Laoshan black

if you want me to just send you some to try, send me a note :) I’m packing up things this weekend so it’d be no trouble to send you a small sample :)

TheTeaFairy

Super happy you enjoyed this one…same as Sil, let me know if you want to try Laoshan Black before you buy it, I still have some in stock :-)
I agree with Dexter, Yunnans are great!

It was nicely floral and complex.