Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea

Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Molasses, Citrus, Malt, Earth, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood, Orange Zest, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I had this for my morning cup. I did not have time to sit at home and sip. So I brewed a cup, poured it in a travel mug, grabbed my guitar and went out the door. This smells so cocoa and malt when...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1386 tasting notes
  • “Today was my birthday!!! Which meant a self-assigned day of doing whatever I wanted. Well, for the most part. I would have really liked to sit around and chill a bit more, but I wound up going to a...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 307 tasting notes
  • “This tea is doing double duty - first tea in the new house and first review with the new system! I am using my phone but so far so good. The site is still super clunky on my phone but the font is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 699 tasting notes
  • “This arrived yesterday and was an impulse buy thanks to the awesome Teavivre Black Friday sale. The leaves are dark brown with some golden tips and stem amongst them. They are small for the...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1138 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix of golden buds and dark leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 205 ºF (95 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I requested samples of all three of the Yun Nan Dian Hong and unintentionally started with the most affordable. As such I won’t give this a numerical rating until I’ve tried the full leaf and the golden tips, which hopefully will be today.

However initial observations are that while this is a very good value and has decent leaf, it is not well suited to short steep times, which is fine as I am looking for a Yunnan for my husband who prefers western brewing anyway and I will prepare it for him in that matter. At the moment I am just trying to educate myself on this variety, I’m very curious how my taste buds will react to more tea buds.

This third steep at around a minute is really quite delicious and has much more flavor that the two previous at 15 and 30 secs. I unfortunately have a sore throat today, but this is quite soothing. This is the sweetest of the infusions and it also has some initial spice that smooths out later in the cup. Thank you Angel and Teavivre, I will add more are I do a side by side brewing this weekend with the husband.

I’m at work, gulping down a glassful of this tea.

Pleasant. Malty. Slight fruitiness present, could be more. Thinnish.
This works fairly well brewn in a glass grandpa style.
Colour is beautiful golden brown, as it should be. Leaves are shorter than I would have expected from Dian Hong-

This isn’t very interesting. Not particularly intense, not complex, no notable qi, npt strikingly harmonious.
This is a good, pleasant, casual Dian Hong.

decided to place an order with teavivre a few weeks ago. mainly wanted to try out their bailin gongfu and figured i would pick up samples of other black teas while i was at it, i ended up buying this tea in a larger quantity because the value seemed very good and it was well reviewed here at steepster.

few notes on the teavivre packaging, everything came in bags(generic like most companys) but teavivre only puts 3.5oz into each bag and has the teas inside the zip bag in another bag, superior packaging imo.

the tea itself when you open the bag it smells sweet even spicy; a really pleasant aroma. taste wise it reminds me a lot of an earl gray at first…. just a really subtleness of the same flavor. the sweetness/mild spicyness comes through pretty well to the taste, also has a nice heavy mouthfeel

at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, was interesting but reminded me of earl gray too much(wasnt fond of); after a week-two of drinking ive taken a liking to it(complex teas take a while for me to get acclimated to.. had this experience with a fujian in the past)

overall so far this outshines the bailin gonfu for me, really glad i picked up more than a sample size of this…. great value tea, good tasting especially to those of you who prefer sweeter teas(blacks)

This is a great all around Yunnan tea when it comes to taste, smell, and price. Has the notes on taste that remind me of fig cookies. Nice, smooth, and medium bodied… not too light; not overly strong either. It doesn’t need sugar but I like to add some anyways, which tends to bring out flavors that make me think of mild molasses.
Iced it tastes a little bit like a Keemun tea. Very good hot or cold.

Thank you Marzipan for the sample! I picked this one out at her house yesterday, because I’m trying to decide which Black Friday Dian Hong I want to order. This is good! I think I WILL order this one, even though its 30% off and the Full Leaf is 40% off. Even with the discount difference this one still ends up cheaper!

boychik

i will send you mine. im not drinking it. get yourself something else

Stephanie

Well now I have to make a decision all over again boychik! Helping but not helping LOL :) Maybe I’ll get some rice shou on Black Friday then instead, yum…

boychik

sorry ;-)

vc

I really like this one as well! Since the full leaf version is on sale I’ve decided to get both :)

Thanks to Cameron B for this sample! I’ve been curious about Teavivre offerings for a while, and you can hardly go wrong with Dian Hong.

The dry leaf for this one comes in small, dark twists. I was expecting more of a gold-buds type of tea, though it does brew up to a dark golden color. There is very little dry aroma, while the brewed tea smells richly of malt and bread, similar to other Yunnan teas I’ve tried. The taste of this brew is also rich and malty, with one thing that distinguishes it from similar teas: there’s a lingering, almost floral tea fragrance that reminds me of lighter black teas and even green oolongs. It adds a bit of freshness to the overall experience, which is less decadent than some others of its kind, but uniquely enjoyable.

Got this during the Teavivre sale as an everyday kind of tea. I can definitely drink this everyday! Smooth but strong, with a hint of cocoa, honey and sweetness to it.

I picked up this tea by accident. I had meant to purchase the delicious Yun Nan Dian Hong Full Leaf, but somehow I purchased this one instead. Oh well. This is still quite delicious and if I hadn’t tried the full leaf version I would probably have purchased this one anyway as it ended up being a whopping $5.30 for 100g during their sale.
Overall it’s not as rich tasting or intricate as the flavors in the Full Leaf or Golden Tips, but it’s still tasty. The leaves are beautiful twisty things with a surprising amount of gold woven throughout and a sweet scent of dried fruit. The taste is sweet and cocoa-y with a lovely hint of citrus and maybe some molasses as well. I think this would be a wonderful breakfast tea. A flavorful way to start the day without being too overpowering.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Molasses

Just when I thought I was getting all organized, I found a big flaw in my system. If you are going to put tea in baggies and then into tins, not only do you need to label the tins, but you also have to label the bags. I grabbed a bag out of a tin on my way to work today, and then didn’t know what I had grabbed. I had a bag of tea at work, and I knew it was a Teavivre black, but I didn’t know which one it was. Anyway, came home, found the empty tin and it was this one.

This is a nice Yunnan black, it was pretty much what I would expect from a Yunnan black, but I’m not sure it was really anything special. Nice, pleasant, fine for work – nothing really to complain about, but nothing really to get excited about. I have a lot of this one, really need to be working it into my rotation more often.

Cameron B.

I need to start drinking mine regularly too. So hard when I have a bunch of blacks that I like better! >.<

Dexter

Yep – but I should be taking the “like don’t love” blacks to work because I don’t really appreciate them at work, and drink the LOVE ones at home when I have tine to really focus on them.

Cameron B.

I think I’m going to try some of them iced. Are Yunnan and Keemun teas good that way?

Dexter

It depends on what you like. I quite often cold steep Yunnan black with a some fruit tisane to make my own cherry black, or blueberry black (etc) iced tea. I don’t like the ones that are REALLY chocolaty cold steeped – but this one would be ok for my tastes and purposes.

mj

Dexter, I think I may adopt your system. I don’t really appreciate the teas I drink at work either. I can’t savor them like I do at home.
Did you ever decide if you are going to make a trip to Minneapolis? Just curious :)

bizbee1

Ah I’ve done the baggy thing, I’m sure I’ll remember but I never do

OMGsrsly

Yes, dexter! That’s exactly it. Drink OK teas at work, drink really nice teas at home. This means I need to drink more teas at home!

Finally got to try all five. This smells malty with citrus notes. The flavour is on the smoky side, which I don’t mind. Since I normally dislike that strongly, it just makes me like Teavivre more. There are also some malty orange flavours.

Flavors: Citrus, Malt