Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea

Earth, Malt, Molasses, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood, Citrus, Orange Zest, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Uniquity

• “I had this for my morning cup. I did not have time to sit at home and sip. So I brewed a cup, poured it in a travel mug, grabbed my guitar and went out the door. This smells so cocoa and malt when...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1249 tasting notes
  • “Today was my birthday!!! Which meant a self-assigned day of doing whatever I wanted. Well, for the most part. I would have really liked to sit around and chill a bit more, but I wound up going to a...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 299 tasting notes
  • “This tea is doing double duty - first tea in the new house and first review with the new system! I am using my phone but so far so good. The site is still super clunky on my phone but the font is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 682 tasting notes
  • “This arrived yesterday and was an impulse buy thanks to the awesome Teavivre Black Friday sale. The leaves are dark brown with some golden tips and stem amongst them. They are small for the...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix of golden buds and dark leaves

Harvest time: Hand-picked in March, 2011

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 205 ºF (95 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I requested samples of all three of the Yun Nan Dian Hong and unintentionally started with the most affordable. As such I won’t give this a numerical rating until I’ve tried the full leaf and the golden tips, which hopefully will be today.

However initial observations are that while this is a very good value and has decent leaf, it is not well suited to short steep times, which is fine as I am looking for a Yunnan for my husband who prefers western brewing anyway and I will prepare it for him in that matter. At the moment I am just trying to educate myself on this variety, I’m very curious how my taste buds will react to more tea buds.

This third steep at around a minute is really quite delicious and has much more flavor that the two previous at 15 and 30 secs. I unfortunately have a sore throat today, but this is quite soothing. This is the sweetest of the infusions and it also has some initial spice that smooths out later in the cup. Thank you Angel and Teavivre, I will add more are I do a side by side brewing this weekend with the husband.

I’m at work, gulping down a glassful of this tea.

Pleasant. Malty. Slight fruitiness present, could be more. Thinnish.
This works fairly well brewn in a glass grandpa style.
Colour is beautiful golden brown, as it should be. Leaves are shorter than I would have expected from Dian Hong-

This isn’t very interesting. Not particularly intense, not complex, no notable qi, npt strikingly harmonious.
This is a good, pleasant, casual Dian Hong.

decided to place an order with teavivre a few weeks ago. mainly wanted to try out their bailin gongfu and figured i would pick up samples of other black teas while i was at it, i ended up buying this tea in a larger quantity because the value seemed very good and it was well reviewed here at steepster.

few notes on the teavivre packaging, everything came in bags(generic like most companys) but teavivre only puts 3.5oz into each bag and has the teas inside the zip bag in another bag, superior packaging imo.

the tea itself when you open the bag it smells sweet even spicy; a really pleasant aroma. taste wise it reminds me a lot of an earl gray at first…. just a really subtleness of the same flavor. the sweetness/mild spicyness comes through pretty well to the taste, also has a nice heavy mouthfeel

at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, was interesting but reminded me of earl gray too much(wasnt fond of); after a week-two of drinking ive taken a liking to it(complex teas take a while for me to get acclimated to.. had this experience with a fujian in the past)

overall so far this outshines the bailin gonfu for me, really glad i picked up more than a sample size of this…. great value tea, good tasting especially to those of you who prefer sweeter teas(blacks)

This is a great all around Yunnan tea when it comes to taste, smell, and price. Has the notes on taste that remind me of fig cookies. Nice, smooth, and medium bodied… not too light; not overly strong either. It doesn’t need sugar but I like to add some anyways, which tends to bring out flavors that make me think of mild molasses.
Iced it tastes a little bit like a Keemun tea. Very good hot or cold.

Tea of the morning……

I have been planning an order from Teavivre for their Anniversary sale. I am so thankful they have listed on their site what will be on sale, and for what percentage. I have only about 50g of this left, and it will be offered at a nice percentage off next week. I also need to revisity my Golden Monkey (although I noticed it is a newer harvest on site) and my Keemun Grade 1 before deciding what to add to my order. I am so excited to try their Keemun Mao Feng!

For a bargain tea, this is really good. First, I notice how smooth it is. There is a little malt and cocoa, and it is just great basic black tea at a super reasonable price. I think if it was not for the sale, I would stock more of this, but I am thinking of going for the next step up to the Full Leaf. Tea really has become something special I do for myself, so why not spring for the higher grade of tea. Still pondering…….

Usual teapot method.

boychik

Which Keemun fr Teavivre do you prefer?
Yunnan Dian hong Golden tip is the best out of three others I tried.

SimplyJenW

I guess I need more than one level of Keemun and Dian Hong to keep me happy. I love the Dian Hong Golden Tip, but I still have about 200g of it. I have not yet tried their Keemun Mao Feng. I tend to prefer the Keemun Grade 1 for everyday. I did not like the fragrant one- too floral. I get my floral tea fix from rose scented teas. I also found the Premium Keemun Hao Ya to be smoother, but not as smokey and mysterious, if that makes sense.

Tea Sipper

I’ve been wondering how the new harvest of Golden Monkey is…

boychik

Thanks. I guess I had to do my hw and order samples. Now it’s too late. I might order some because sale prices are very reasonable.

I received this tea as part of an incredibly generous sample from Angel. Thank you so much!

First off, I love these little foil wrapped samples. They would be ideal for travel or for people who want to keep their tea packaged until the last minute. I know the package says not for sale, but I could see this being an item that some people would love to buy.

The dry leaf smelled familiar, a promising and complex smell that has come to mean “Yunnan” to me.

The package suggested a steep of 2 to 3 minutes. I went with 3 out of habit, but in hindsight I wish I had gone with 2. This is a very powerful tea! Strong and a bit malty, it is a perfect breakfast tea for me. It was both my first and second cup today. Usually I steep my first tea twice, but the second cup was still so strong and dark that I left it for a third steep (I haven’t done it yet).

I really enjoyed it! It’s definitely an early in the day tea for me, and I am looking forward to that next steep.

Stephanie

When you purchase samples from their website, they also come in those cute little foil packs :)

Cameron B.

I’ve really gotten accustomed to having a Yunnan as my first tea of the day. Although generally I always try a new one since Nicole sent me so many kinds! :D

Yay, the last of my provided TeaVivre samples! And I only have one Green Terrace sample left, but it’s slated for gong fu style since it’s a milk oolong. And then that’ll be it for review-required samples for me until I get the ones from Good Life Tea! So, this one. The leaves are dark and slightly twisty, and there are a (very) few golden tips. Mm I love the smell! Very malty with sweet honey and a lovely tart stonefruit aroma. I did a 3 minute steep here.

Brewed aroma is… alarming. Lol. Completely different from the dry version! I immediately detect smoke and earthiness with the ubiquitous malt. Maybe a tiny hint of those stonefruits? Woah, this is quite smoky! There’s also earthiness and the taste of wood. A tiny bit of bitterness that goes well with these flavors. Not as malty as I would expect from this type of tea. There’s a little bit of a deep rich flavor that I would associate with molasses. And when I least expect it, there’s a lovely stonefruit aftertaste! Similar to plums and apricots mixed together.

I can see definite parallels between this tea and the Harney & Sons Tippy Yunnan, which is a good sign because they are both lower-grade. So maybe my taste buds are halfway decent! Lol. I definitely added sugar to this, it’s too powerful for me without it. And it would definitely take milk well if you chose to add some. A definite kick-in-the-pants morning tea! :)

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Molasses, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood

boychik

I disagree, Tippy Yunnan I just couldn’t stand while this one is decent no frills everyday affordable tea

I can’t find any notes for this tea even though I had it many times. Oh well
3G 205F 2 min
Nice smooth but something is off. I dunno. Probably me. I blame my taste buds. I should retry some other time .

3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

did you hve this one or the other 2 versions lol and yes steepster has been eating a lot of notes lately

mj

There’s a whole thread about Steepster eating notes!

TheTeaFairy

Conspiracy theory?

I’m an avid black tea drinker. I know there are many kinds of tea out there that asked to be tasted but i tend to stick more with black tea than any other. The reason for that is that I like full-bodied tastes, but at the same time I dislike the bitter elements in black teas. Now when I think about it, I prefer bitter elements in green teas, it’s funny actually.
That’s why I’d rather have a cup of Chinese black tea than Indian and the ones from Yunnan are my favourite.

Dian Hong is my cup of morning tea, and I’ve been through at least 400 gr of this one in particular (through 2012 and 2013 harvests) and I find it to have very good quality/price ratio. This tea brews an average impression with Gongfu preparation style (Full-leaf and Golden tip grades prove much better this way) but it really shines with western preparation method. I normally use 3 gr with my 250 teapot and steep if for 4 minutes and boiling water.

The infusion comes out in the cup with deep red-brown tone and aroma of molasses and faint citrus at the top. The taste is full and deep, rich note of molasses is touched by a slight sweetness and are finished with a light notes of citrus and freshness. After a few sips I might have a slight stiffening sensation in the throat (I never figured out why this happens to me with some teas), and peppery element slowly sets in and rests at the tongue along with a smooth coating. What I like with this particular tea is that it doesn’t get bitter easily. Actually, that could be said for greater part of Chinese black teas, Keemun is a perfect example of this.

Since this is a review based on 2013 harvest I’m anticipating on trying the 2014 one, which I really hope to be closer to 2012 one which had more buds and more prominent citrus-sweet note.

Flavors: Citrus, Molasses, Orange Zest, Sweet

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

sipdown! farewell December tea :) Not sure that i’ll get through January’s teas this month as there are a LOT of them, but it is nice to at least know that when there are months that i’ve purchased less tea, i’ll make up some of that time. I’m really just doing it to be conscious about drinking my “older” teas even though i realise some ppl would love to have cupboards as “fresh” as mine lol.

I have quite enjoyed this one, though the reality is, i’d prefer 50g quantities from teavivre more than 100g in nearly every instance. Otherwise i start to feel like it’s too much to drink up. :) Not sure if i’ll reorder this one even if it is a lovely tea, ONLY because there are others i prefer more from Teavivre :)

Terri HarpLady

This is a nice tea, which I currently have plenty of.
Want me to send you 25G or so? ;)

no no no no no