Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea

Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Molasses, Citrus, Malt, Earth, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood, Orange Zest, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I had this for my morning cup. I did not have time to sit at home and sip. So I brewed a cup, poured it in a travel mug, grabbed my guitar and went out the door. This smells so cocoa and malt when...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1300 tasting notes
  • “Today was my birthday!!! Which meant a self-assigned day of doing whatever I wanted. Well, for the most part. I would have really liked to sit around and chill a bit more, but I wound up going to a...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 301 tasting notes
  • “This tea is doing double duty - first tea in the new house and first review with the new system! I am using my phone but so far so good. The site is still super clunky on my phone but the font is...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 688 tasting notes
  • “This arrived yesterday and was an impulse buy thanks to the awesome Teavivre Black Friday sale. The leaves are dark brown with some golden tips and stem amongst them. They are small for the...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1080 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: A mix of golden buds and dark leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: A rich, complex but smooth and fresh taste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 205 ºF (95 ºC) for 2 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, Dian Hong does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Dian Hong also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

So I requested samples of all three of the Yun Nan Dian Hong and unintentionally started with the most affordable. As such I won’t give this a numerical rating until I’ve tried the full leaf and the golden tips, which hopefully will be today.

However initial observations are that while this is a very good value and has decent leaf, it is not well suited to short steep times, which is fine as I am looking for a Yunnan for my husband who prefers western brewing anyway and I will prepare it for him in that matter. At the moment I am just trying to educate myself on this variety, I’m very curious how my taste buds will react to more tea buds.

This third steep at around a minute is really quite delicious and has much more flavor that the two previous at 15 and 30 secs. I unfortunately have a sore throat today, but this is quite soothing. This is the sweetest of the infusions and it also has some initial spice that smooths out later in the cup. Thank you Angel and Teavivre, I will add more are I do a side by side brewing this weekend with the husband.

I’m at work, gulping down a glassful of this tea.

Pleasant. Malty. Slight fruitiness present, could be more. Thinnish.
This works fairly well brewn in a glass grandpa style.
Colour is beautiful golden brown, as it should be. Leaves are shorter than I would have expected from Dian Hong-

This isn’t very interesting. Not particularly intense, not complex, no notable qi, npt strikingly harmonious.
This is a good, pleasant, casual Dian Hong.

decided to place an order with teavivre a few weeks ago. mainly wanted to try out their bailin gongfu and figured i would pick up samples of other black teas while i was at it, i ended up buying this tea in a larger quantity because the value seemed very good and it was well reviewed here at steepster.

few notes on the teavivre packaging, everything came in bags(generic like most companys) but teavivre only puts 3.5oz into each bag and has the teas inside the zip bag in another bag, superior packaging imo.

the tea itself when you open the bag it smells sweet even spicy; a really pleasant aroma. taste wise it reminds me a lot of an earl gray at first…. just a really subtleness of the same flavor. the sweetness/mild spicyness comes through pretty well to the taste, also has a nice heavy mouthfeel

at first i wasnt sure if i was going to like it, was interesting but reminded me of earl gray too much(wasnt fond of); after a week-two of drinking ive taken a liking to it(complex teas take a while for me to get acclimated to.. had this experience with a fujian in the past)

overall so far this outshines the bailin gonfu for me, really glad i picked up more than a sample size of this…. great value tea, good tasting especially to those of you who prefer sweeter teas(blacks)

This is a great all around Yunnan tea when it comes to taste, smell, and price. Has the notes on taste that remind me of fig cookies. Nice, smooth, and medium bodied… not too light; not overly strong either. It doesn’t need sugar but I like to add some anyways, which tends to bring out flavors that make me think of mild molasses.
Iced it tastes a little bit like a Keemun tea. Very good hot or cold.

I picked up this tea by accident. I had meant to purchase the delicious Yun Nan Dian Hong Full Leaf, but somehow I purchased this one instead. Oh well. This is still quite delicious and if I hadn’t tried the full leaf version I would probably have purchased this one anyway as it ended up being a whopping $5.30 for 100g during their sale.
Overall it’s not as rich tasting or intricate as the flavors in the Full Leaf or Golden Tips, but it’s still tasty. The leaves are beautiful twisty things with a surprising amount of gold woven throughout and a sweet scent of dried fruit. The taste is sweet and cocoa-y with a lovely hint of citrus and maybe some molasses as well. I think this would be a wonderful breakfast tea. A flavorful way to start the day without being too overpowering.

Flavors: Citrus Zest, Cocoa, Molasses

Just when I thought I was getting all organized, I found a big flaw in my system. If you are going to put tea in baggies and then into tins, not only do you need to label the tins, but you also have to label the bags. I grabbed a bag out of a tin on my way to work today, and then didn’t know what I had grabbed. I had a bag of tea at work, and I knew it was a Teavivre black, but I didn’t know which one it was. Anyway, came home, found the empty tin and it was this one.

This is a nice Yunnan black, it was pretty much what I would expect from a Yunnan black, but I’m not sure it was really anything special. Nice, pleasant, fine for work – nothing really to complain about, but nothing really to get excited about. I have a lot of this one, really need to be working it into my rotation more often.

Cameron B.

I need to start drinking mine regularly too. So hard when I have a bunch of blacks that I like better! >.<

Dexter

Yep – but I should be taking the “like don’t love” blacks to work because I don’t really appreciate them at work, and drink the LOVE ones at home when I have tine to really focus on them.

Cameron B.

I think I’m going to try some of them iced. Are Yunnan and Keemun teas good that way?

Dexter

It depends on what you like. I quite often cold steep Yunnan black with a some fruit tisane to make my own cherry black, or blueberry black (etc) iced tea. I don’t like the ones that are REALLY chocolaty cold steeped – but this one would be ok for my tastes and purposes.

mj

Dexter, I think I may adopt your system. I don’t really appreciate the teas I drink at work either. I can’t savor them like I do at home.
Did you ever decide if you are going to make a trip to Minneapolis? Just curious :)

bizbee1

Ah I’ve done the baggy thing, I’m sure I’ll remember but I never do

OMGsrsly

Yes, dexter! That’s exactly it. Drink OK teas at work, drink really nice teas at home. This means I need to drink more teas at home!

Finally got to try all five. This smells malty with citrus notes. The flavour is on the smoky side, which I don’t mind. Since I normally dislike that strongly, it just makes me like Teavivre more. There are also some malty orange flavours.

Flavors: Citrus, Malt

Tea of the morning……

I have been planning an order from Teavivre for their Anniversary sale. I am so thankful they have listed on their site what will be on sale, and for what percentage. I have only about 50g of this left, and it will be offered at a nice percentage off next week. I also need to revisity my Golden Monkey (although I noticed it is a newer harvest on site) and my Keemun Grade 1 before deciding what to add to my order. I am so excited to try their Keemun Mao Feng!

For a bargain tea, this is really good. First, I notice how smooth it is. There is a little malt and cocoa, and it is just great basic black tea at a super reasonable price. I think if it was not for the sale, I would stock more of this, but I am thinking of going for the next step up to the Full Leaf. Tea really has become something special I do for myself, so why not spring for the higher grade of tea. Still pondering…….

Usual teapot method.

boychik

Which Keemun fr Teavivre do you prefer?
Yunnan Dian hong Golden tip is the best out of three others I tried.

SimplyJenW

I guess I need more than one level of Keemun and Dian Hong to keep me happy. I love the Dian Hong Golden Tip, but I still have about 200g of it. I have not yet tried their Keemun Mao Feng. I tend to prefer the Keemun Grade 1 for everyday. I did not like the fragrant one- too floral. I get my floral tea fix from rose scented teas. I also found the Premium Keemun Hao Ya to be smoother, but not as smokey and mysterious, if that makes sense.

Tea Sipper

I’ve been wondering how the new harvest of Golden Monkey is…

boychik

Thanks. I guess I had to do my hw and order samples. Now it’s too late. I might order some because sale prices are very reasonable.

I received this tea as part of an incredibly generous sample from Angel. Thank you so much!

First off, I love these little foil wrapped samples. They would be ideal for travel or for people who want to keep their tea packaged until the last minute. I know the package says not for sale, but I could see this being an item that some people would love to buy.

The dry leaf smelled familiar, a promising and complex smell that has come to mean “Yunnan” to me.

The package suggested a steep of 2 to 3 minutes. I went with 3 out of habit, but in hindsight I wish I had gone with 2. This is a very powerful tea! Strong and a bit malty, it is a perfect breakfast tea for me. It was both my first and second cup today. Usually I steep my first tea twice, but the second cup was still so strong and dark that I left it for a third steep (I haven’t done it yet).

I really enjoyed it! It’s definitely an early in the day tea for me, and I am looking forward to that next steep.

Stephanie

When you purchase samples from their website, they also come in those cute little foil packs :)

Cameron B.

I’ve really gotten accustomed to having a Yunnan as my first tea of the day. Although generally I always try a new one since Nicole sent me so many kinds! :D

Yay, the last of my provided TeaVivre samples! And I only have one Green Terrace sample left, but it’s slated for gong fu style since it’s a milk oolong. And then that’ll be it for review-required samples for me until I get the ones from Good Life Tea! So, this one. The leaves are dark and slightly twisty, and there are a (very) few golden tips. Mm I love the smell! Very malty with sweet honey and a lovely tart stonefruit aroma. I did a 3 minute steep here.

Brewed aroma is… alarming. Lol. Completely different from the dry version! I immediately detect smoke and earthiness with the ubiquitous malt. Maybe a tiny hint of those stonefruits? Woah, this is quite smoky! There’s also earthiness and the taste of wood. A tiny bit of bitterness that goes well with these flavors. Not as malty as I would expect from this type of tea. There’s a little bit of a deep rich flavor that I would associate with molasses. And when I least expect it, there’s a lovely stonefruit aftertaste! Similar to plums and apricots mixed together.

I can see definite parallels between this tea and the Harney & Sons Tippy Yunnan, which is a good sign because they are both lower-grade. So maybe my taste buds are halfway decent! Lol. I definitely added sugar to this, it’s too powerful for me without it. And it would definitely take milk well if you chose to add some. A definite kick-in-the-pants morning tea! :)

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Molasses, Smoke, Stonefruits, Wood

boychik

I disagree, Tippy Yunnan I just couldn’t stand while this one is decent no frills everyday affordable tea