Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Spinach, Cake, Peas, Vanilla, Vegetal, Cucumber, Melon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1288 tasting notes
  • “First of all, I'm going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I've been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I've been...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first sample to try. I used only 2tsp of leaves instead...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 797 tasting notes
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the hey, let’s give it a try. The leaf just took right up where it left off. Multiple mugs today. Anyone else notice how hefty this leaf is once it unfurls? It’s like twice as thick and heavy as anything else I brew.

Bonnie

Fantastic! This is what they mean by getting your money’s worth!

K S

Puerh are the only teas I have been able to steep more than this one.

Erin

I absolutely LOVE this tea. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

tigress_al

Ya, this one definitely is the greatest resteeper! My entire infuser in my mug was completely full of leaf!

ashmanra

This one was great! I ordered the one with organic honey, and it is delicious, also. When I run out of it, I will be getting more of this one.

First of all, I’m going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I’ve been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I’ve been clean and I started taking medication and it’s made A WORLD of difference. I share this with you for two reasons: 1. To feel as good as I do right now compared to how I was THRILLS me, and I feel like I have to share it with the world. And 2, one of the things I’ve noticed in feeling better is that my senses are so much more clear now. I taste and smell things I couldn’t detect before. Everything tastes/smells so much more vibrant now, and that is how this whole rant relates to this tea. I knew it was good before, but now it’s a whole new experience. Still floral, sweet, and refreshing-but now I’m truly EXPERIENCING it. I hope my streak continues.

Ninavampi

Keep it up! It isn’t easy but it is worth it! I am sure you can do it, and it will be worth it.

Bonnie

I believe you can do it! I have known many who have been successful! The med for my fibromyalgia is an expensive narcotic so I chose not to take it. I live with the depression and drink tea which really does help me! Tea punctuates my day with enjoyment and variety…giving me something to look forward to. Just keep making it to the next tasty cup!

Angrboda

Good job on that, that’s an achievement you can be proud of. :) On the road to recovery. :D

Invader Zim

Good job and keep it up!

TeaBrat

I wish you much more happiness to come. :)

Scatterbrain

Thanks so much everyone. I’m optimistic.

TheTeaFairy

Hang in there, the right med can make all the difference in the world, my mom is a living proof of that… indulge in the stuff that won’t hurt you, such as good tea and good music! the pair actually go very well togheter… BTW, love the OK CUMPUTER icon :)

Scatterbrain

Thank you. And thanks, you’re the first person to comment on it haha. I’m going to see Radiohead play in June, I’m very excited.

TheTeaFairy

To this day, one of my favourite record and favourite band… lucky you! I almost got tickets ( they will also play here in montreal in june) but bummer, I have something more formal to attend to on the same day… oh well, my brother is going so I’ll get the excitement through him!

This was my first sample to try.
I used only 2tsp of leaves instead of 3-4 because it looked like way too much, I am glad that I did because there was hardly enough room in my infuser.
Dry, this tea smells very vegetal, I was a little worried at this point, I am not the biggest fan of really vegetal teas.
Steeped, the leaves also smell very vegetal, but then when you take out the leaves, it smells much sweeter and more floral….weird, but good!
1st steep: very fresh, earthy, vegetal, with notes of floral and nuttiness (not the usual butteriness I am used to in oolongs). I also get a little sweetness and a very full mouthfeel (I like that!)
2nd: 3minutes, sweeter and possibly creamier, less vegetal, my favourite steep for sure
3rd: 4 minutes, not vegetal, but the creaminess and sweetness is starting to deteriorate, still a good steep though
4th: certainly weaker, but still maintains a good mouthfeel, and light enough to have in the evening without being up all night, hopefully….
Overall, I really like this, a very different green oolong than I am used to.

A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact information about the distributor/steep times/etc.
Something that I was reading on another forum about was an idea that I’m trying to encompass. I know that some teas can be steeped over and over again, but at some point they really do loose that pizzazz. I think that I’m going to be more cautious with steep times and temp. so I can narrow down when I should continue re-using leaves.

1931 tasting notes

Ugh, my computer froze and I lost my note on this one. I have had it before so it’s not too big of a deal, but still annoying.

Mainly I am trying to figure out some of my gongfu brewing issues. No matter what I can’t seem to have a good gongfu session. Maximally I get one good first steep, a decent second steep, and after that it’s all meh, regardless of the tea. I thought maybe I wasn’t using enough leaf so I went crazy with this one. It’s actually less good than the last time I went gongfu on this one and used half the leaf. Still don’t know what I’m doing. I’ve obviously enjoyed the gongfu sessions I had at tastings that other people ran, and I have even successfully gongfu’d tea myself before (a jasmine green), so I don’t know what my problem is here. I think I cannot seem to figure out the optimal leaf amount for my pot. Maybe someday.

Invader Zim

I’m wondering if it’s the water you’re using.

Azzrian

I always do my bigger posts in a word program and transfer it here for that reason.
Frustrating when that happens.

Dinosara

Invader ZIm— I kind of doubt it for a couple of reasons: 1) I use the same water for all of my teas and I don’t run into other problems with them; 2) I did a taste test with bottle water vs. my water and they were almost identical; and 3) I really doubt the Beijing tap water that I used in my hotel, and one of the few places I had some success gongfu-ing, was of better quality than my current water!

That said, I might try gongfu-ing with different water just to see if it makes a difference.

Invader Zim

That was the only thing that the problem seemed like it could’ve been. I hope you are able to figure it out and enjoy past your second brew.

It has been a long day at the office. No particular reason, just very very long and I am ready to go home. To accompany me on this long slow Monday there has been this Oolong in my cup. Also, throughout the day I have been greeted by chocolate chip cookies, edamame, sushi , and graham crackers. I am sure they are all having a great party in my stomach right now… Wish I could join them.

This tea is very good, but it isn’t quite great. Please do note that this is only my opinion. I tend to judge my oolongs by the sweet aftertaste that lingers after each sip. That tends to be my favorite part of drinking an Oolong.

The dry leaves of the tea are marvelous. They are large and emerald green. The scent is mouth watering, bit of mineral and a bit of sweet, the perfect mix for an oolong in my opinion. For some reason (and don’t get me wrong, I love Oolongs!) the smell of Oolongs has started to remind me vaguely of the smell of balloons and surgical gloves. Strangely, this isn´t a bad thing… Odd…

The first steep of was golden and delicious looking, also delicious tasting. The flavor consisted of a strong mineral component and a bit of pear and edamame. The aftertaste was a bit more sour than I would have liked and the sweet was a little more subtle than I usually want in an oolong. Still, delicious.

The second steep was a bit milder. The mineral played down and the pear stood out. The sweet aftertaste I enjoy so much was much more evident. It rolled across my tongue with every sip. By far my favorite of the three steeps.

The third steep was a bit too vegetable like for my mood in the late afternoon. Sadly, the sweet aftertaste was more of a faint memory than actually there in this cup. It was not bad at all, but it wasn´t quite what I wanted at that particular point of time. I feel like it could have benefited from a slightly longer steeping time (I only steeped it for 2 minutes).

Overall, I enjoyed it. I like having it handy at the office to accompany on “one of those Mondays”. Yum… Definitely worth a try.

ScottTeaMan

BALLOONS & surgical gloves?!? The second cup is usually my favorite too. :))

Kittenna

Balloons & surgical gloves = latex? Odd! I’m glad I don’t get that association!

Ninavampi

Yeah… Latex… But just as a reminder… And only if I think about it. Thankfully it is only a smell and not a taste at all!

Do you ever fantasize about drinking tea and then have trouble finding something that makes you feel the way you wanted to feel? I do. But tonight I wanted some tea and this one has far exceeded my tea fantasies.

I decided to do a ittle gong fu brewing with hubby joining in. Oh my! The leaves smelled amazingly good when I opened the pouch. I did rinse the leaves quickly, maybe ten seconds. I don’t think that is really necessary with this one. The first steep was light yellow and lightly buttery with vegetal tones. I resteeped, and resteeped, and resteeped. The third steep was darker than the first two.

Now on the sixth some amazing things are happening in this tea. There is a mineral quality coming out, and a lingering cool finish rather like the feeling I get when I drink something with licorice root in. It caresses and coats the throat. There is that same quality that made me fall for Wild Forest Oolong, though this is lighter.

I am so glad I ordered their Tie Guan Yin with organic honey. If it is anything like this one, I am in for some highly satisfying tea times.

I may have had to much tea today, I know that this is technically impossible but to much caffeine is not. Just hoping I don’t screw up my sleep rhythm. Nonetheless today was an exciting day, I compared this tea to two other TGY’s that I had in my cupboard. An interesting experience nonetheless.

I did come to on important revelation however, I really dislike this tea. Because now I realize what I have been missing and have to toss my other TGY’s cause I could never be happy with them again. This is indeed disturbing news.

But I will say it wasn’t even a contest, this tea blew my teas out of the water in every way. This tea is clean, crisp, beautiful and refreshing. The color is a beautiful green whereas my others had a nasty yellow tint to them, and the scent and taste didn’t even compare. Vegetal, buttery, smooth, crisp, clean, floral, refreshing. All things that pop into my head as the liquor hits my palate.

All in all a very nice tea, I am quite certain that there is probably better but this definitely ranks in the upper echelons. I will be keeping this one on hand for a while, at least until I find a better one that doesn’t cost me my friends firstborn, I am really running out of friends this way.

TeaBrat

sometime too much caffeine CAN be a problem. ;-)

ScottTeaMan

Funny :)). Now I have ANOTHER tea I want to buy from Teavivre. Looks like I found another tea company to order from.

I wanted a fresh bright oolong, so this was the one I went with in my three tea order (with $15 discount with coupon and reward points!) The leaves are such bright green little bundles! Ages ago I had the Iron Goddess with honey from Teavivre, that they don’t sell anymore. I had to get this one because I was amazed when I had a sample pouch from two years ago that was already opened (and in a sandwich bag) and it still tasted SO fresh… like the leaves had just been picked!
Teavivre’s instructions: 212 degrees – 2-3 teaspoons – rinse 1,2,3 min

Steep #1 // right after boiling // rinse & 1 min steep
I used two teaspoons of leaves because three teaspoons would be pouring out of my infuser basket! The dry leaves smell AMAZING – like many different kinds of flowers – orchids, a bit of gardenia (and I don’t really like gardenia but it sure is lovely here.) It’s also kind of grassy and spinachy (I like spinach more than gardenia.) The flavor is less grass & spinach but a ridiculous amount of these flowers! It’s like a garden in a cup! There is a TINY flavor that is off, like it shouldn’t have been boiled, but I’m still shocked that boiled water doesn’t ruin oolongs. Note to self: Wait around ten minutes after boiling next time. This is such a lovely oolong though – one of the most floral I’ve had. Exactly the oolong I wanted in stock!

Steep #2 // right after boiling // 2 min
As expected, the leaves are taking up the entire basket! I might try this one with three teaspoons at some point anyway, just to taste the difference. This is a nice cup, but it doesn’t have the super-florals that the first cup had. This is actually a light oolong. I kind of was looking for a strong flavored oolong, but the floral aspect of this oolong makes it special, so I don’t mind if it doesn’t have a stronger flavor. This one still doesn’t taste burned at all. This cup, I’d say the flavor is a very mellow lemon.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
This cup went back to the florals a bit! I don’t know what happened with the second cup. This cup is also very buttery. Only a hint of that flavor that the leaves have been steeped three times. I’m very happy with this oolong!

Great big thank you to Teavivre for this sample! I was very surprised at their generosity. Always a pleasure dealing with them.
I really wanted to try one of the samples of tea from Teavivre, but I had a friend with me who was a novice and so I did not want to turn into a tea geek and start taking notes while drinking my first steeping. Since only two short steepings were done with the leaves throughout the visit, I decided to resteep the leaves the next day. Multiple times. End result? Delicious.
The broth is sweet veggies.. almost like sweet peas that have been concentrated down to their sugar juices and infused with a florally bouquet teeming with nectar. On the previous steep (would have been steep 5), there were buttery tones throughout the cup. All of the steeps were outrageously delicious and very pleasing on this hot day.
I will be posting a gongfu style review soon as well because I think it would be an amazing oolong for it.

205 °F / 96 °C