Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Spinach, Cake, Peas, Vanilla, Vegetal, Cucumber, Melon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “First of all, I'm going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I've been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I've been...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first sample to try. I used only 2tsp of leaves instead...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

Revisiting this today, so that I can compare it with the honey version. Many thanks to Angel for the free sample, which has already sparked a purchase of 100g in early April : )

First steep: 2 little-bit-heaping tsps., with honey for 2 minutes at boiling. The brewed leaves smelled very vegetal, like boiled peas. The first sip is very flavorful and strong, not totally vegetal like many greens would be, but similar. Have tried this before sans honey, and it is not sweet on it’s own, so the honey plays nicely in the brew. Floral undertones, yes, but can’t distinquish which. As it cools, it becomes more vegetal. Fell in love with this tea with first sip.

Second steep: My notes say that it was a bit weaker at 2-1/2 min, so upped it to 3 this time. The “wow” factor goes to the leaves after the 2nd steep (lots of full size leaves, mostly opened up now). What started out as a small pile of hard pellets at bottom, now takes up half my 16 oz. IngenuiTEA. First sip: The 3 minute steep time helped, as this is just as strong as the first steep (in flavor). Second steep seems less vegetal, a little more floral, but I can’t detect much of a difference between the 2 steeps. Love this tea : )

This is the only Tie Guan Yin that I have tested/tasted, but would recommend. Teavivre’s customer service and selections are outstanding.

TeaBrat

How do like the IngenuiTEA?

Cheryl

I love mine. Would recommend. My son put mine through his dishwasher last weekend (no dw here) and it now looks brand new again. Bought 32 oz. one to cold brew (still need to dedicate effort to that, before it gets too hot here).

Time for another oolong sample!

Now this is what I think of when I think of oolong – very green, light, slightly buttery and very floral. It’s bright and refreshing. I usually start with a black tea in the morning but this is very good. It’s much like a gentle wake-up, a tingling on my tastebuds, instead of the usual slap-to-my-face from the stronger alternatives. (Bolder Black & Tiger Assam to name a few!)

I think I prefer roastier oolongs over floral ones, but there is a time to appreciate these ones too. And I think the Iron Goddess variety is one of the most popular? I’ve had a few versions of this, and I think I’m happiest with this one from Teavivre!

There’s a slight seaweed aftertaste here – I think I may have oversteeped it just a tad, so next time I’ll try 2, or 2.5 minutes.

Writing a review for this and throughly enjoying the cup. On second steep and just as lovely and can go many many more steeps.
I am not much on floral teas but this one is a spring and summer MUST!
Mmmmmmmmmmm

Azzrian

On my 5th steep SO wonderful! My only ISSUE with teas you can steep SO MUCH is I get so filled up not that I could ever stop loving the flavors its just TOO MUCH TEA (yes I said it) I wish hubby drank more but he did throughly enjoy his one cup. SIGH

Kittenna

Completely agree! Too many cups of the same tea gets tiresome when there’s nobody to share with…

Yup Sad Face.

Dylan Oxford

Wow, that’s impressive.

Azzrian

Yeah that was the last steep for me though – others may have taken it further but I need more robust flavor myself :)

Kittenna

Once I get the flavour of hot water, it’s done for me. There has to be enough flavour left to mask that, or I get icked out.

Tea of the late afternoon……

The last of my samples from TeaVivre. I did end up placing an order, so it will be interesting to try the new samples they send along with my order.

We had an odd break in the cold weather today, so it was a great day for lighter teas than I normally drink. This was my first Tie Guan Yin. I really liked it. It was buttery like the milk oolongs I have tried, and lightly floral. One thing I find very interesting about the greener oolong varieties is how the liquor almost feels heavy in the mouth. I am sure it is part of the magic of tea, and it something that draws me to oolongs, or maybe more vegetal teas in that you feel you are drinking much more than water. The other thing I really like about greener oolongs and the jasmine green I had earlier today is that I really enjoy them without additions. This one was not an exception. The leaves brewed up huge and bright green. The liquor was pale yellow with a hint of green. Really a great tea. It is going on the shopping list!

ashmanra

We get samples with our order? I just placed an order a few days ago. Now I am REALLY excited!

SimplyJenW

I am not sure how it usually works, but I was at the end of my first round of samples when I ordered……

Another generous sample provided by Teavivre

I like black teas and green teas, so you would think oolongs would be up my alley. I honestly still can’t answer whether they are or not because I have been hesitant to take the plunge and order enough to compare them.

That said, I have had TGY before, though it was a while ago. When I sipped this, I suddenly remembered that other tea and could compare their differences, even with that big gap in time. This one was decidedly more floral in taste (both were equally floral in smell) but the other TGY had more of a slick buttery feel on the tongue. This one was very light, and alternated between being vegetal and floral with small hints of that oily/buttery flavor on the swallow, though it didn’t coat my tongue like the previous TGY.

This was great with no additives; I finished my first cup quickly and am contemplating a second, which is atypcial for me – usually I prefer one large cup and am done.

Steeped 2 of the 4 sample sized packets in 500 ml. water at the below parameters in my Breville.

It’s good but not one I like. It’s too flowery for me, or a taste I associate with flowery teas. As usual good quality and great if you like that kind of thing but for me I’ll pass :D

This is an outstanding Tie Guan Yin. Sweet, floral with hints of vegetation. A beautiful infusion. Incredibly smooth, with a buttery quality that gets better with each subsequent infusion. Remarkably fragrant, it is a pleasure to inhale just before taking a sip.

Truly a delight, this Tie Guan Yin!

Another offering that I received from Teavivre. I have tried a few Ti Kuan Yin Oolongs and they all seem have different characters. Some more green. Others more oxidized. Some having a nutty or honey characteristic. There is a beauty in watching the Iron Goddess unfurl to present her glorious nectar. I do like how this is packaged, I can make a pot with one package. Opening up the dry leaves….whoa! Very floral. Very green. Smells like packaged summer. I know this is not a jasmine scented or flavored Oolong but it smells very similar. The leaves produce a pale yellow liquor. The smell and flavor remind me of that first part of June when you can really start to smell the Jasmine. Another great offering from Teavivre.

The Purrfect Cup

I think this is one of the sample I received too. Can’t wait to try it!

The DJBooth

Yeah they’ve all been pretty good.

First review. Thank you again Teavivre for the beautifully packaged sample. This was the second tea that I shared with my granddaughter Megan today after watching Amadeus. I didn’t let her have a smell of the wet tea leaves…just the pour which was a steep of 3 minutes. She could not believe the flavor! “This is incredible…what is this”! I laughed and explained and asked what she tasted. It’s floral, buttery, popcorn. Then I had her smell the beautiful green wet tea leaves. “Spinach grandma! How could that smell make such a different tasting tea”? And that’s part of the magic isn’t it. The chameleon character of some tea…smells like one thing tastes like something else…huh we all know what that’s like don’t we. And we love that surprise too. This gem of a high quality A+ tea is so smooth a luscous. The flavor so well balanced that no one nuance outshines another. I found myself looking at the bottom of my cup like an addict ready to dip my finger in to grab for the last drop. Fortunately I can resteep many times without denigration. This is a keeper tea!

ashmanra

I agree! This one unfolds so beautifully through the many steeps. I loved this one, and ordered the one with organic honey. It is just as good, though the honey is very subtle to me and pretty much disappears by the third steep.

I’m pretty confused by this tea so far. The first time around, I remember it was sweet, smooth, and a very nice green oolong in general. The second time, there was something damp-tasting about it. I’m getting that weird dampness again this time around. I know that’s not really a taste descriptor, but I really can’t think of how else to say it. I do have an unopened sample, so maybe a fresh start will help? So far, I’m just chasing after that first time, hoping it will come back around again.