Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Grass, Orchid, Vegetal, Apricot, Floral, Flowers, Fruity, Jasmine, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass, Smooth, Creamy, Mineral, Spinach, Cake, Peas, Vanilla, Cucumber, Melon
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1611 tasting notes
  • “First of all, I’m going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I’ve been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks,...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 172 tasting notes
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 887 tasting notes
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 541 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Harvest time: May 8, 2015

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

(This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: Has a sweet and vegetal aroma.
Wet Leaf: The vegetal aroma is more dominant but the sweet aroma is still in the background.
Liquor: Has a pale yellowish color nice brightness and good clarity.
Taste: This tea has a smooth crisp and clean floral and vegetal flavor with some sweetness. The broth seemed rich in texture in the mouth too.
My Score/ Over All Opinion: 91, I enjoyed this tea is was clean crisp and refreshing. This tea is lighter oxidized so has more of the vegetal aspect. This tea reminded me slightly of mellow monks top leaf with some subtle differences.

Sample provided by TeaVivre:

This a very green oolong with a taste that borders on floral rather than buttery. The dry leaves smelled very much like veggies, but that subsided with the first steep. I am brewing this in my steeper mug, and it is perfectly yummy. This has a gentle sweet aftertaste that makes my mouth feel very clean for some reason, lol. Very refreshing!

2nd steep brings the huge leaves out of hiding. Flavour from the first steep is duplicated in the second. This looks like a hearty tea!

First of all, thanks again Teavivre for sending me this sample!

This is my first lightly-oxidized Tie Guan Yin, and also my first confirmed spring picking, so I was a bit excited. The aroma of the dry leaves was a bit fruity, with hint of flowers and nuts. The first infusion was had the same aroma as the dried leaves, but the smells were a bit more muted, which allowed them to become more harmonious. The taste was a bit fruity, with a slight aftertaste of nuttiness. The second infusion was mostly the same, but a bit nuttier overall, and with the fruity flavors starting to subside a bit.

Thank you, Liquid Proust! This is a good Tie Guan Yin that comes pretty close to one of my favorites. Orchid, grass, some cream, and a dash of butter is what I get with almost every steep, more so in the second. There is a little bit of sweetness if you drink it very carefully. It also has a really solid mouth feel for me until the last steep. I got three out of this one doing western style. Pretty good, and solid. Just one level too light for me. I’d recommend to almost anyone though.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Grass, Orchid, Vegetal

Enjoyed this gongfu style :3 I did 10 steeps. I love this tea. It’s sweet, floral, fruity, and smooth. One of my favorite oolongs :)

Sometimes (not often) I feel bad for constantly drinking JUST Teavivre’s teas, and not giving other companies a chance.

But then I make a cup of tea and that thought goes away.

This is a tea I’ve never had before, so I was excited to try this. There was something appealing about the name of “Iron Goddess.” My feminist sensibilities thought I should give this one a chance.

Floral notes are deep in this tea, but they are soft and are more undertones than overtones or highlights. There is a vegetal, slightly astringent (mildly so) after-taste. I also taste something smoky—but this is an extremely slight taste, it’s barely there. The mouthfeel is smooth, and the flavours of the tea only come out more as the tea gets colder. I do not know how I’d like it iced, but I don’t mind it lukewarm for sure.

If you like Oolong, and you like floral teas, you’ll appreciate this one!

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this generous sample!

My husband and I love to travel on the weekends, but this winter in an effort to save money for our upcoming summer road trip we decided to hang around home. It has been a lot of fun. My little one has gotten to do her first set of swim lessons, we have made a tradition of grilling meat from the Local Pig on Saturday night and Saturday afternoon has turned into a lazy book and and now that I am drinking tea again, tea time. This is the tea this afternoon.

While looking around on the Teavivre site I finally found the brewing instructions. It sure beats trying to read the tiny lettering on the package! This one said 7g in 3oz Gaiwan. Seems like a lot but, in the tea went. I brewed this one up per the steeping instructions. Despite my qaiwan overflowing with leaf, this turned out wonderful. I get hints of floral, some buttery feel on the tongue and the end part of the sip is somewhat cucumber flavor. I do not get any hints of bitterness. This is going to be a great tea for the afternoon. For the price point I am pretty excited about this one. Thank you again Teavivre for letting me sample this one!

I really love oolongs, especially strong and highly oxidised ones, so I was excited to try a few of Teavivre’s.

The Tie Guan Yin has very green leaves, a strong grassy scent (very much like a pure green), and a very solid aroma unsteeped.

Brewed the aromas become very light and airy with lots of floral notes. The brew becomes pale yellow in color. I only steeped for 4 minutes, as I did not want to risk too much astringency.

I was very impressed and surprised by the flavor. I expected the tea to taste much more like the dried leaves smelled, but it was quite herbaceous and fruity – and just lovely all around. It would have still been delicious had it been stronger, but this was perfect for what was craving at the time.

I will be steeping this a couple more minutes next time to see if I get the stronger flavors without too much more astringency. I might also add a tiny bit of honey to go with some of the fruity notes of the tea.

All around, this was an exemplary tea that I will certainly be drinking again. As someone with a higher oxidation preference, I was delighted at how much I enjoyed this very green oolong.

Flavors: Apricot, Cream, Floral, Flowers, Fruity, Jasmine, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Oh noes, my sample is running out.

Don’t you love it when you go from “I don’t like that type tea” to “Oh noes, my sample is running out” just because you finally got a worthy version?

Definitely, I learned my lesson. Let’s see next if Bailin Gongfu will make me black tea liker.

My bet is yes, yes it will.

Hope so, one less tea type to conquer.

I complete forgot I already reviewed this, so when I drank this yesterday – nearly after 7 months I initially reviewed it – I drank it as if it were completely new to me.

Brewed semi-Western style with a gongfu glass tea pot. No Rinse. Steeping times: 15, 10, 20, 20, 30, 45, 60, 75.

Time didn’t seem fair on this at first. Considering it’s been more than half a year, the dry leaf smelled soapy. Got a little worried. But the wet leaf aroma and everything after was just fine: a garden with flowers of numerous varieties of flowers. It only takes two steepings for the leaves to completely unfurl. The liquor is pale yellow, clear, and full-bodied. The texture starts out as thin but becomes thicker as the session goes on. The first infusion tastes like the wet leaf aroma and of summer air. It also has a stonefruit aftertaste. Infusions 3-5 are more basically more flavorful and more leaf-like. The floral note returns in the last infusions.

I still think this isn’t terribly complex – even less so seven months ago (tropical smoothie??) – and that it’s very nice to drink on any given day of the year, especially shortly after the summer solstice to set up a mood. A good beginner oolong, and a beginner Tie Guan Yin. I’m not changing the rating, though if I were to, it would be 80-81.

Boiling 7 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

I couldn’t forget this oolong! It’s my favorite- I definitely get the entire garden of flowers you mention.