Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Spinach, Cake, Peas, Vanilla, Vegetal, Cucumber, Melon
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1307 tasting notes
  • “First of all, I'm going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I've been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I've been...” Read full tasting note
    Kwinter 169 tasting notes
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first sample to try. I used only 2tsp of leaves instead...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 806 tasting notes
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 538 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

(This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: Has a sweet and vegetal aroma.
Wet Leaf: The vegetal aroma is more dominant but the sweet aroma is still in the background.
Liquor: Has a pale yellowish color nice brightness and good clarity.
Taste: This tea has a smooth crisp and clean floral and vegetal flavor with some sweetness. The broth seemed rich in texture in the mouth too.
My Score/ Over All Opinion: 91, I enjoyed this tea is was clean crisp and refreshing. This tea is lighter oxidized so has more of the vegetal aspect. This tea reminded me slightly of mellow monks top leaf with some subtle differences.

Sample provided by TeaVivre:

This a very green oolong with a taste that borders on floral rather than buttery. The dry leaves smelled very much like veggies, but that subsided with the first steep. I am brewing this in my steeper mug, and it is perfectly yummy. This has a gentle sweet aftertaste that makes my mouth feel very clean for some reason, lol. Very refreshing!

2nd steep brings the huge leaves out of hiding. Flavour from the first steep is duplicated in the second. This looks like a hearty tea!

First of all, thanks again Teavivre for sending me this sample!

This is my first lightly-oxidized Tie Guan Yin, and also my first confirmed spring picking, so I was a bit excited. The aroma of the dry leaves was a bit fruity, with hint of flowers and nuts. The first infusion was had the same aroma as the dried leaves, but the smells were a bit more muted, which allowed them to become more harmonious. The taste was a bit fruity, with a slight aftertaste of nuttiness. The second infusion was mostly the same, but a bit nuttier overall, and with the fruity flavors starting to subside a bit.

This is the other oolong I ordered from Teavivre and it is also quite good. It has tightly rolled, dark green leaves that smell very floral. The color of the brewed tea is a spring green and very floral. There is also a strong mineral component to the taste with a buttery background, finishing with just a tiny hint of spinach. Initially, there is a creamy mouthfeel feel only at the finish, but the creaminess builds as you sip until it is both more intense and present throughout the sip. Another great green oolong from Teavivre, although I do slightly prefer the Anxi Monkey King TGY

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Spinach

The dark green gnarled nuggets of Teavivre Ti Guan Yin Iron Goddess reminded me of a couple of milk oolongs I’ve tried recently—both in appearance and scent, so I was naturally looking forward to a scrumptious pot. The liquor brewed golden yellow, and the taste was much less creamy than Milk Oolong, but still very smooth. Initially I thought that I preferred the Iron Goddess to the Monkey Picked Ma Liu Mie, but then I changed my mind.

I noticed the difference in texture especially in the second infusion. Still, this Iron Goddess tastes good. I probably need to drink some more of these oolongs before I can decide which ones I need to stock…

(7/29/14)

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
mj

I’m trying to decide which oolong(s) to order from Teavivre too

Kirkoneill1988

i think i tried that one :P it was ok :)

sherapop

So many choices, mj and Kirkoneill1988. ;-)

This was a sample included in a Teavivre order.

In general I prefer darker oolongs to the less oxidized ones, but this is quite alright. It reminds me very much of a green tea. I rinsed the leaves for 10sec before brewing. The first steep was 55sec and was very vegetal. It made me think of buttered peas and spinach. A strong umami flavor was present. The end of each sip was floral and buttery, with a silky smooth finish. A second steep (1min 40) yielded a more flowery, buttery cup of pale yellow tea. It was a bit sweeter with that characteristic TGY flavor. A sweet, vanilla cupcake taste clung to my mouth after each swallow. Lovely flavor, and quite strong with such short steeps. (I couldn’t imagine steeping for 3 minutes!) I think if you have a preference for green oolongs or TGY you would really enjoy this tea. As for me, not so much. I could have kept steeping the leaves for several more infusions but two cups were enough for me!

Flavors: Butter, Cake, Floral, Peas, Spinach, Vanilla, Vegetal

TeaVivre

Thank you very much for the lovely review, kimquat :) Can I share your review to our website www.teavivre.com please?

kimquat

Absolutely. (:

The Leaf: Nice dark green and light green mixed leaves. The scent is quite strong and very nice; sweet, slightly flowery, and fruity. well curled and rolled up.

The Brew: The liquor is a nice whitish-green, but crystal clear. The aroma is quite apparent with fresh sweet notes and almost a melon character to it. The taste is not strong, but not light either. It’s almost as if I’m drinking very light, less sweet, melon juice, maybe with a hint of cucumber.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Cucumber, Melon

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Yet another tea I forgot I even had. This is starting to become a trend. Not sure how I missed the giant bag! this was in…but whatever…

I hadn’t opened these little suckers from their vacuum-sealed packages since I got them. And that was back in 2011. So, in theory, they’ve been accidentally “aging” since then – airtight. Three years ago. That’s a long time to forget about a tea.

The results?

Straight butter and lotus blossoms. I’m not usually a fan of the Iron Goddess, but given three years to cool down and she’s as sweet as the rest of ‘em. I should forget about teas more often…but I don’t think I’d have the patience for it.

Picture: http://instagram.com/p/lspFDtkneC/#

Light Oolong that is yellow in color and has a steamed veggie and floral aroma. This tea has a complex flavor that is sweet and floral with a pleasant aftertaste.

205 °F / 96 °C

I’m addicted to Tie Guan Yin. The first sip is always hard, especially if you brew it more than 6 minutes.
The second sip, mild. but afterwards it will gets hard again.
I’m not preferring sweet inside this tea since it will spoil the tea itself (note this is my opinion).
oolong has quite enormous amount of caffeine.
Tie Kuan Yin is always best served hot.