Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea Leaves
Green Beans, Honey, Nuts, Herbaceous, Peas, Stonefruits, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so glad I bought a lot of this! I made a 22 ounce pot to go with our Asian take out tonight, and had to resteep. Hubby was really throwing it back! Tonight we really went overboard and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1796 tasting notes
  • “Finally got to spend some quality time with this one. I will have review on my blog in a couple days. The first time I fixed this it was tainted by onions from our chili making. The second time I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1249 tasting notes
  • “Yum yum! I love how sweet and nutty this tea is. It's amazing how different various green teas can be from one another in taste. I definitely appreciate them way more than I ever did before....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1911 tasting notes
  • “After having such a wonderful experiment with Verdants Eight Treasures Yabao I decided to redo this one gaiwan style. Now when I first tried this I got a decent amount of saltiness to it and a bit...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Huangshan, Anhui, China

Ingredients: An golden yellow combination of plump buds with one attached leaf

Harvest time: April 13, 2014

Taste: A long lasting floral scent and taste, with no bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s premium HuangShan MaoFeng, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. With high levels of vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s HuangShan MaoFeng also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

I finally got to trying my sample of this tea this morning. I had a really hard time getting out of bed and wanted something gentle to wake up with. I’ve found Huang Shan Mao Fengs to be pretty great for that type of craving in the past, and this one didn’t let me down. There’s something very round and fluffy and comforting about it.

The dry leaves smelled wonderfully green, buttery, and sweet. They were also fascinatingly rich green and fresh-looking. I steeped it in the Breville for 3 minutes, which yielded a nice mellow cup. I was worried about bitterness at 3 minutes, but there was none in sight. Less buttery and more floral than I was expecting from the scent. A very nice stand-by. I do wish this had different packaging rather than coming in an not-reseable bag. I’ll have to drink this quickly since I have no spare tins at the moment, but that shouldn’t be a problem.

(This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: I get a sweet vegetal aroma. I can even see someone say grassy.
Wet Leaf: I get a vegetal aroma almost like a boiled green bean or something close to that.
Liquor: Clear and pale.
Taste: I get a light refreshing sweet vegetal flavor. The broth gives your tongue a slight dryness on your tongue that is nice.
Overall Opinion: I give this tea a 90. It is crisp, light refreshing and totally reminds me of drinking a Long Jing. If you are a Long Jing tea drinker I think you will enjoy this tea also.

kOmpir

What setup did you use (vessel, leaf-water ratio)?

Tea_is_wisdom

Sorry Kompir just saw your post please forgive me. I used a Sama Doyo A-06 500ML gongfu teapot. I used 1 or 2 teaspoons per 8oz. I hope that helps. Maybe I should add what I used and amount of leaf per water ratio to the reviews. Thanks for bringing that up to me. I try to make my reviews short sweet and to the point but I guess I am leaving things out and other suggestion let me know. Thank you and take care.

The dry leaf smells very fresh and grassy, and they’re also very long leaves! I used my bamboo spoon, since it is rather wide and flat by contrast to a regular teaspoon.

I brought the water to a boil and let it cool a few minutes before using with about 2 spoons of the dry leaf. I think I may have let the water cool too much, as my brew is very very mild, and I am not getting really much flavour at all. I did notice that some of the leaves hadn’t been fully submerged in the water, so I am having a second steeping to see what happens. So far, I like the Taimu green tea better, but it might’ve been my technique and brewing.

Thanks to teavivre for sending this one to me. I still have one more green to try, the Bi Lou Chun.

I’ve been on a bit of a tea logging hiatus lately as I’ve not been feeling very well but I’m back for now… Time for some backlog (backlogging?)

This is another from Teavivre’s Green Tea sample pack, I picked it at random since I’ve only got two left to try and neither was particularly calling me over the other.

The dry tea is quite fresh and floral and there are definite grassy notes mixed in but what surprised me was the amount of “nut” aroma I was getting, it actually reminded me of the Dragon Well Long Jin (which I also tried from this sample pack) in how nutty it was.

After a quick rinse my first steeping (30 sec) gave me a very pale gold liquor that smelled of sweet floral notes mixed in with nuts and a touch of summer grass. The flavor, though mellow, was quite nutty compared to the brewed aroma and contained a few buttery undertones alongside the sweet floral highlights. The mouthfeel was rich and creamy while still being rather light and there was no bitterness or astringency what-so-ever.

My second cup (1 min) was a pale yellow color and the scent carried a few more floral and buttery notes compared to the first cup. Flavor wise I also found a few more buttery tones, to the point where it was almost pastry like, while the grass notes hung in the background (which made for a very interesting contrast). The floral flavors moved into the finish of the sip while the mouthfeel lost a bit of its rich creaminess.

The last cup (1:30 min) was the most floral (in both taste and flavor) of them all, as well as being the least sweet. The majority of the nutty and buttery notes had disappeared and the summer grass flavors were now at the forefront. The mouthfeel had also shifted, still light but with just the slightest touch of creaminess.

In the end it was a lovely experience, the progression of flavor and scent changes over the course of the steepings made for a wonderful afternoon.

175 °F / 79 °C

TeaVivre sent me some samples of their greens from last year.
When I received the package, I was quite impressed with labels. They have marked down production dates and manufacturers! Bag also had some storage and brewing instructions, and it was nice to note that wulongs, greens, white and blacks had distinctive shelf lives. Aluminium bags with TeaVivre’s labels contained smaller, sealed bags used by manufacturers.

This is fairly cheap, and judging be the leaves pricing seems fair. These aren’t strictly Mao Feng, bud and leaf. There are some lower leaves, some leaves have a bit of oxidation, some twigs etc. Leaves are generally whole. Leaves are fairly long, making production date (5/20/2011) seem realistic.

There seems to be two major tastes whirling around here. Weird, little ill-balanced round, almost milky taste, which changes into a light vegetality. I didn’t like the initial milky taste, and the vegetality should have been little stronger to balance that out, methinks. Aftertaste is fairly pleasant, round and soft, if slighly uninteresting.

Overall, I think this is fairly priced, quite decent tea. I have had a couple of casual glasses of this, and those I enjoyed a lot. Now that I sit down and drink this properly with focus, tea feels lacking in many ways. Then again, which green from 2011 isn’t now? This isn’t top tea, but TeaVivre isn’t asking a price of such from this. I would be happy to recommend this for a casual drinking, and I have very positive image of TeaVivre now.

Decided to brew this up more chinese style today by putting a lot of leaves in a glass and just letting it brew inside the glass. Try it this way! I wasn’t getting much sweetness and flavor out of this one with my gaiwan but now the tea seems much better. It’s a very classic Chinese green. There’s a scent of fresh cut grass and the first sip is pretty grassy. However, there is a nice aftertaste of sweetness and it lingers on your tongue for a few seconds after. On the second steeping the grassiness went away and the tea became much sweeter and fruity. Definitely can find some peach overtones

sherapop

I think that I will try it your way—my brewed pot was extremely faint in flavor…

Backlogging (so, based almost entirely on my notes)

Experience buying from Teavivre http://steepster.com/places/2857-teavivre-online—

Age of leaf: advertised as spring 2011. Received fall 2011, brewed up days later.

Appearance and aroma of dry leaf: Beautiful looking leaves which look similar to Jing Tea Shop’s HSMF; smells fresh and possibly not as smoky an aroma as other HSMF teas.

Brewing guidelines: Based on information from their website, I went a little hotter of the later steepings. 10 grams tea, 5 cups water. Loose in glass Bodum pot. Stevia added.
……….1st: 170; 1’
……….2nd: 182; 1.5’
……….3rd: 186; 2.5’
……….4th: 192; 3’

Color tea liquor: pale yellow.

Flavor of tea liquor: Good, mild. Second steeping had a little more flavor, with a hint of something like cinnamon. The forth steeping had little flavor.

Appearance and aroma of wet leaf: They have a fresh, deep-green look to them, with a possible hint of cinnamon.

Value: Reasonable for a HSMF at less than $3/oz.

Overall: I was not very impressed with this tea. Nothing really stood out about it accept the appearance of the leaves. Looking at the wet leaves revealed a quality pluck: mostly bud sets with a number of whole leaves and buds. And in general I like the way HSMF leaves look (I can’t think of what it is about them at the moment, though). We tried China Cha Dao’s grade 3 HSMF the same day, and we liked the flavor of China Cha Dao’s better than Teavivre’s (although the quality of China Cha Dao’s leaf was clearly not as good). If you like HSMF, then this is an OK tea for the price.

Fantastic tea!

LooseTman’s review made me realize it was time to open my batch of this Mao Feng.

Most of the time, I’ll have my green tea in a tall glass tumbler, a method I’ve learned from David Duckler at Verdant.

But today, I felt like using my little 5oz glass gaiwan, I love watching fluffy green tea through a small glass vessel, something whimsical about it.

I love green teas and have neglected them lately. I usually drink tons at this time of the year cause they are so fresh.

This tea tastes like sweet greens, spinach, asparagus. It’s very fragrant, its aroma is tantalizing.

I used 5g of tea, so I get lots of flavour here, with a certain level of astringency due to the amount of leaves maybe. It’s bright but not bitter.

This little tea has a lot to offer, strong body and character.

A nice floral mouthfeel develops with the later steeps.

The sweetness also intensifies as I’m sipping on steep #5.

This tea gave me an increasing amount of energy, I can see myself drinking lots of it in the morning.

Very good, not as enjoyable as Long Jing to me, I miss the buttery notes they provide, but it’s something I will definitely have again.

looseTman

There’s much to enjoy with this Mao Feng. What temp & time did you use?

TheTeaFairy

Sorry, I should add the temp I brew at, especially for greens. (Wish those scrolling bars worked with the iPad!)
75*C, and it was probably down at 65 on the later steeps. I’m still at it, it’s getting sweeter and sweeter, very interesting. Thanks for the inspiration :-)

caile

I brewed mine a bit hotter but am going to try your slighter cooler temperature next time to see if it is different.
I have such trouble posting reviews from my tablet now that I hardly do it anymore as it is hit or miss if it will work. Its more of a bother to get my notebook but it works so much better!

TheTeaFairy

Caile, I used to always follow recommended temp but realized through the years that most greens work best for my own personal tastes at 75*C or less. I seem to always achieve more sweetness and no bitterness this way. Again, this works for me, might not for you :-)

This morning, I’m very pleased to review Premium Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea from TeaVivre, Western style: 17 oz. / 8 g / 185*F / 3 – 5 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream. I brewed this tea twice: 1.) w/o a brew basket – placed leaves directly in the teapot, 2.) using a 2” wide x 3.25” deep SS brew basket with the same teapot.

Leaf: Buds with 1 or 2 leaves, up to 5 cm long
Fragrance: Sweet hay / straw / grass
Liquor: Clear straw-colored – easily appreciated in the double-wall glass tea cup.
Aroma: Very Sweet and pleasing
Flavor: Honey with a hint of green beans

6/2/14:
Sample size – 6.6 g / 14 oz.
3-min*: Smooth and rich with a mild honey-like sweetness, a hint of green beans, and a mild almost savory essence. There was no astringency or bitterness. This 2-cup pot of green tea was very warm, relaxing, and enjoyable.

Re-Steep:
4.5-min: Light to medium bodied
6-min: Light to medium bodied

6/5/14:
Sample size – 6.3 g / 13.4 oz. (395 ml)
3-min: Light and smooth with a mild honey-like sweetness. There was no astringency or bitterness.

4-min.: Light and smooth with a developing richness and a mild honey-like sweetness. There was no astringency or bitterness.

5-min.: Similar flavor profile with a just tinge of grassy bitterness. I’d suggest < a 5-min. steep.

Impression: Of the two methods, this tea was much more enjoyable when brewed w/o a brew basket. Apparently, the extra space in the teapot for these large leaves allowed the flavor to more fully develop. The sip was clearly much richer. An excellent afternoon tea.

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for graciously providing this excellent green tea tasting opportunity.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a Staffordshire 2-cup fine bone china teapot with a SS brew basket and served in double-wall glass tea cups

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 g 17 OZ / 502 ML
TheTeaFairy

Ok, now you make want to try my sample, like right now :-)