Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea Leaves
Vegetal, Green Beans, Honey, Nuts, Herbaceous, Peas, Stonefruits, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so glad I bought a lot of this! I made a 22 ounce pot to go with our Asian take out tonight, and had to resteep. Hubby was really throwing it back! Tonight we really went overboard and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2014 tasting notes
  • “Finally got to spend some quality time with this one. I will have review on my blog in a couple days. The first time I fixed this it was tainted by onions from our chili making. The second time I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1558 tasting notes
  • “Yum yum! I love how sweet and nutty this tea is. It’s amazing how different various green teas can be from one another in taste. I definitely appreciate them way more than I ever did before....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “After having such a wonderful experiment with Verdants Eight Treasures Yabao I decided to redo this one gaiwan style. Now when I first tried this I got a decent amount of saltiness to it and a bit...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Huangshan, Anhui, China

Ingredients: An golden yellow combination of plump buds with one attached leaf

Harvest time: April 6, 2015

Taste: A long lasting floral scent and taste, with no bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s premium HuangShan MaoFeng, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. With high levels of vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s HuangShan MaoFeng also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

This morning, I’m very pleased to review Premium Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea from TeaVivre, Western style: 17 oz. / 8 g / 185*F / 3 – 5 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream. I brewed this tea twice: 1.) w/o a brew basket – placed leaves directly in the teapot, 2.) using a 2” wide x 3.25” deep SS brew basket with the same teapot.

Leaf: Buds with 1 or 2 leaves, up to 5 cm long
Fragrance: Sweet hay / straw / grass
Liquor: Clear straw-colored – easily appreciated in the double-wall glass tea cup.
Aroma: Very Sweet and pleasing
Flavor: Honey with a hint of green beans

6/2/14:
Sample size – 6.6 g / 14 oz.
3-min*: Smooth and rich with a mild honey-like sweetness, a hint of green beans, and a mild almost savory essence. There was no astringency or bitterness. This 2-cup pot of green tea was very warm, relaxing, and enjoyable.

Re-Steep:
4.5-min: Light to medium bodied
6-min: Light to medium bodied

6/5/14:
Sample size – 6.3 g / 13.4 oz. (395 ml)
3-min: Light and smooth with a mild honey-like sweetness. There was no astringency or bitterness.

4-min.: Light and smooth with a developing richness and a mild honey-like sweetness. There was no astringency or bitterness.

5-min.: Similar flavor profile with a just tinge of grassy bitterness. I’d suggest < a 5-min. steep.

Impression: Of the two methods, this tea was much more enjoyable when brewed w/o a brew basket. Apparently, the extra space in the teapot for these large leaves allowed the flavor to more fully develop. The sip was clearly much richer. An excellent afternoon tea.

Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for graciously providing this excellent green tea tasting opportunity.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a Staffordshire 2-cup fine bone china teapot with a SS brew basket and served in double-wall glass tea cups

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 8 g 17 OZ / 502 ML
TheTeaFairy

Ok, now you make want to try my sample, like right now :-)

Dark green twisty leaves that look like fresh mown grass. Fresh green scent.
Brews a very pale clear greenish yellow hue.
Tastes a bit nutty and fruity with some floral creaminess that is also present in the aroma. There is also a mild green bean taste and a freshness that gives a somewhat minty sensation.
Smooth, gentle and refreshing – a lovely tea!

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for the generous sample.

I noticed that the brewing guideline on the sample packet differ from what is listed in the description – I brewed per the sample packet which recommended 185F for 3-5 minutes.

Tamarindel

I actually wrote Teavivre about that, because I noticed the different brewing guidelines too, and they said they did a new taste test on every new batch or harvest of tea and labeled it accordingly. So you did it right — the instructions on the packet are for that exact harvest.

caile

Thanks, that’s what I thought it may be. I checked the website and they have the same recommendation as the sample packet, so it seems to just be different in the description on the page here. Usually I don’t even look at that part but happened to for this one.

This tea is wonderful! It’s very green and vegetal tasting, yet very light, with an almost clear liquor. It is also incredibly sweet for a green tea, and has a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. There’s a very light aftertaste of orange if you smack your tongue.

By the second steeping there is a more distinct vegetal flavor, taking on the flavor of green beans. The sweetness is still very rich. There is absolutely no astringency or dryness to this tea. It is ever so slightly nutty. The third steeping is similar to the second, but with less sweetness and more nutty and vegetal flavor.

Cool stuff, definitely on par for one of China’s 10 famous teas.

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Nuts

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

A light but beautifully balanced green, the flavor is equal parts vegetal and floral – the sort of honeysuckle floral you typically find in oolong teas. There’s no strong aroma, but the steeped leaves smell ever so slightly of peas. A very fresh-feeling tea, good anytime.

Guys, I finally think I need to break down and buy a scale. See, I have a project coming up that will require very exact tea measurements, and I do not think my vintage kitchen scale will cut it. I am a very ‘free flow’ in my tea preparation with eyeballing tea amounts and water amounts, count time out in my head (unless it is more than a minute) the only thing I am strict to is water temperature. So, this is going to be different for me, though not unpleasant, though it will interrupt the flow of my tea ritual, but not in a huge way. Maybe my vintage scale will work, clearly I will need to calibrate it and find out!

Today on the Green Tea Week from Teavivre, we take a look at one of my favorite spring greens (I am going to keep saying that everyday I think) Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea! Good old Yellow Mountain Fur Peak, as it translates of course referencing where it is grown and the appearance of the leaves, this particular harvesting was…harvested…on April 6th, putting it the day after Qing Ming. The aroma of these very pretty leaves is very fresh, very fresh and green indeed, and nutty. So, it starts out with a blend of chestnuts, water chestnuts, and edamame. After that the aroma fades to sweet peas, fresh spinach, and a tiny bit of smoke, like just a very very tiny whiff of smoke.

I decided to bowl steep this tea, it is one of those green teas that take to bowl steeping really well, it like never gets bitter! The aroma of the leaves floating around happily in the water is a nutty blend of sweet peas, edamame, and chestnuts. Subtle with a gentle edge of sweetness. The taste is pretty fantastic, it starts with a nectar sweetness of distant spring flowers (do I detect a hint of tulip?) and moves right along into green with notes of sweet pea, edamame, lima bean, and lettuce. Finishing up with a smooth chestnut and sesame and a lingering honey aftertaste. My bowl was refilled a few times before the flavor faded away to delicate sweetness and no more, not the most lasting of teas, but certainly very delicious.

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2015/04/teavivre-huang-shan-mao-feng-green-tea.html

Wow. This one smelled amazing when I opened the sample packet. Green and fresh (although it’s actually almost a year old now) and oh so delicious. And so bright green, too. Lovely to look at.

I approximated the western brewing directions, using 5g and 14oz of water.

Once the water hit the leaves, the aroma was even more veggie. Mmmmm.

It tastes very green, vegetable, fresh, slightly floral. It’s almost creamy in texture in my mouth. (I guess that’s buttery. Seems a weird way to describe it.) Someone said green beans in an earlier review, and I could buy that, although I thought more spinach. I really like this.

The second infusion was not so spinachy, but it seemed creamier. It was quite satisfying both first and second infusion. I tried a third and it was alright, but not spectacular. It just tasted like average green tea by that point.

I will try the other sample pack of this gong fu style.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 5 g 14 OZ / 414 ML

Got this as one of my free samples in my last order. Definitely glad I did!

This tea is sweet and delicious. The leaves are beautiful bright green when steeped and smell fantastic. No bitterness, a bit floral and just super tasty. I’ll have to try it in a gaiwan at some point.

It’s a nice mellow green tea, It’s of high quality, but for me it misses something to really set it apart.

This tea has a sweet vegetal aroma. It is light in flavor with a hint of saltiness. I taste the vegetal green tea flavor and I also get some floral notes, too. There is a lot going on flavor wise: it has a little salty soup broth taste mixed with a floral/vegetal green tea and it still has a lightness to it.

175 °F / 79 °C