Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea Leaves
Green Beans, Honey, Nuts, Herbaceous, Peas, Stonefruits, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so glad I bought a lot of this! I made a 22 ounce pot to go with our Asian take out tonight, and had to resteep. Hubby was really throwing it back! Tonight we really went overboard and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1826 tasting notes
  • “Finally got to spend some quality time with this one. I will have review on my blog in a couple days. The first time I fixed this it was tainted by onions from our chili making. The second time I...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1315 tasting notes
  • “Yum yum! I love how sweet and nutty this tea is. It's amazing how different various green teas can be from one another in taste. I definitely appreciate them way more than I ever did before....” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1962 tasting notes
  • “After having such a wonderful experiment with Verdants Eight Treasures Yabao I decided to redo this one gaiwan style. Now when I first tried this I got a decent amount of saltiness to it and a bit...” Read full tasting note
    feralanima 174 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Huangshan, Anhui, China

Ingredients: An golden yellow combination of plump buds with one attached leaf

Harvest time: April 13, 2014

Taste: A long lasting floral scent and taste, with no bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s premium HuangShan MaoFeng, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. With high levels of vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s HuangShan MaoFeng also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Dark green twisty leaves that look like fresh mown grass. Fresh green scent.
Brews a very pale clear greenish yellow hue.
Tastes a bit nutty and fruity with some floral creaminess that is also present in the aroma. There is also a mild green bean taste and a freshness that gives a somewhat minty sensation.
Smooth, gentle and refreshing – a lovely tea!

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for the generous sample.

I noticed that the brewing guideline on the sample packet differ from what is listed in the description – I brewed per the sample packet which recommended 185F for 3-5 minutes.

Tamarindel

I actually wrote Teavivre about that, because I noticed the different brewing guidelines too, and they said they did a new taste test on every new batch or harvest of tea and labeled it accordingly. So you did it right — the instructions on the packet are for that exact harvest.

caile

Thanks, that’s what I thought it may be. I checked the website and they have the same recommendation as the sample packet, so it seems to just be different in the description on the page here. Usually I don’t even look at that part but happened to for this one.

Aroma: Light vegetal, sweet, floral, hay
Liquor Color: Pale yellow, straw
Liquor Flavor: Creamy, light, fresh, honey, light floral
Notes: Oooo this one was nice. I was savoring every sip. Perfect spring time drink.

This tea is wonderful! It’s very green and vegetal tasting, yet very light, with an almost clear liquor. It is also incredibly sweet for a green tea, and has a creamy, velvety mouthfeel. There’s a very light aftertaste of orange if you smack your tongue.

By the second steeping there is a more distinct vegetal flavor, taking on the flavor of green beans. The sweetness is still very rich. There is absolutely no astringency or dryness to this tea. It is ever so slightly nutty. The third steeping is similar to the second, but with less sweetness and more nutty and vegetal flavor.

Cool stuff, definitely on par for one of China’s 10 famous teas.

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Nuts

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

A light but beautifully balanced green, the flavor is equal parts vegetal and floral – the sort of honeysuckle floral you typically find in oolong teas. There’s no strong aroma, but the steeped leaves smell ever so slightly of peas. A very fresh-feeling tea, good anytime.

I expected to spend the day doing my usual blend of crafting, minecrafting, blogging, and tea guzzling, but I was given a surprise! Ben decided to take me on an old fashion dinner and a movie (or matinee and dinner) date. We saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and of course I loved it. Don’t worry I won’t give any spoilers other than it was more intense than I was expecting, which I liked. Afterwards we went for customary post-Marvel movie Shawarma (certainly one of Tony Stark’s better ideas) to discuss the movie. Good times, good food, and now time for tea!

Today I am starting off another Teavivre week with Huang Shan Mao Feng from Mt Huang Shan in Anhui Province. The name of this tea translates to Yellow Mountain Fur Peak (or fur tip, peak shaped fur covered tea, there are various permutations) combining the name of the mountain it was plucked from and the shape of the leaves resembling little fuzzy mountain peaks. Huang Shan Mao Feng is one of China’s Ten Famous Teas, this particular batch was plucked April 4th, 2013, high (1,200-1,400 ft) on the mountain blanketed in clouds. The aroma is very strong, much stronger than I was expecting for such a delicate tea. A mix of strong vegetal (I would say green bean and a hint of spinach) and sesame seeds. There is a finish of yeasty bread and cherries. If I had to use one word to describe this tea it would be complex, the aroma is very much so that.

After a nice soaking (by soaking I mean rinse and 30s steep in my gaiwan, uncovered for those who care about those kinda things) the aroma of the wet leaves is still very vegetal, with notes of green bean and fresh vegetation being the strongest. There are also notes of sage and sesame with a very gentle finish of fruit. The liquid is faint yet intense, does that make sense? There are no overpowering notes, but the ones that are there are very clear and delightful. It is a blend of green beans, sesame, and fresh bread.

The first steeping is smooth, oh my is the mouthfeel smooth. I would even go so far as to say silky! It manages to fill the mouth completely, though not in a buttery way like oolong. The beginning of the taste is sweet, gently sweet like honeysuckle nectar and sesame seeds. It reminds me a of the aftertaste you get when eating sesame Halva but with a vegetal quality. After the initial sweetness it changes to green bean and lastly finishes with honey.

The aroma from the liquid is much sweeter and has a stronger vegetal quality. As with the first steep the mouthfeel is the first thing I noticed, just as smooth and silky as before, but with more of an oily quality, the mouthfeel reminds me very strongly of Long Jing. The taste is sweet and floral at first, and quite delicate. It evolves into strong sesame and green bean notes and finishes with the taste of cherry. The cherry taste lingers for quite a while.

For the third and final steeping I notice the aroma of the tea is much more subdued, but still quite sweet and vegetal. The mouthfeel remains very smooth and silky, truly it might be my favorite part about this tea. The taste, like the aroma, is more subdued, but there is still a strong sesame and green bean quality that fades to a mixture of floral and fruity sweetness. It is a nice finish to a wonderful tea. I really enjoyed this tea and can certainly see why it is one of China’s Famous Ten, it maintains the delicate aspects you expect from a Green tea while having a bold presence. Also, Ben, who historically is not a fan of green teas, really enjoyed trying it, I can think of no better praise than that!

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/04/teavivre-huang-shan-mao-feng-green-tea.html

Wow. This one smelled amazing when I opened the sample packet. Green and fresh (although it’s actually almost a year old now) and oh so delicious. And so bright green, too. Lovely to look at.

I approximated the western brewing directions, using 5g and 14oz of water.

Once the water hit the leaves, the aroma was even more veggie. Mmmmm.

It tastes very green, vegetable, fresh, slightly floral. It’s almost creamy in texture in my mouth. (I guess that’s buttery. Seems a weird way to describe it.) Someone said green beans in an earlier review, and I could buy that, although I thought more spinach. I really like this.

The second infusion was not so spinachy, but it seemed creamier. It was quite satisfying both first and second infusion. I tried a third and it was alright, but not spectacular. It just tasted like average green tea by that point.

I will try the other sample pack of this gong fu style.

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 30 sec 5 g 14 OZ / 414 ML

Got this as one of my free samples in my last order. Definitely glad I did!

This tea is sweet and delicious. The leaves are beautiful bright green when steeped and smell fantastic. No bitterness, a bit floral and just super tasty. I’ll have to try it in a gaiwan at some point.

It’s a nice mellow green tea, It’s of high quality, but for me it misses something to really set it apart.

This tea has a sweet vegetal aroma. It is light in flavor with a hint of saltiness. I taste the vegetal green tea flavor and I also get some floral notes, too. There is a lot going on flavor wise: it has a little salty soup broth taste mixed with a floral/vegetal green tea and it still has a lightness to it.

175 °F / 79 °C