Dragon Well Green Tea (Long Jing)

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Thanks to *Teavivre* for a sample of this tea! I haven't tried too many dragon wells yet, so am happy for the opportunity to try out another one and see how it compares! The aroma of the brewed...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “~Tea sample provided by Teavivre for review~ Follow up to my last tasting note on this tea Today my first to the third steeps were lovely, and the fourth was ok but not as enjoyable. Not bitter at...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 302 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample I enjoyed the first steep of this tea the best. It was a tad softer and had a more elegant appeal. The 2nd and 3rd brew brought on a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 350 tasting notes
  • “This sample was generously sent along by Angel from Teavivre - thank you! This is the first dragon well I have tried. The liquour was so light I was afraid I hadn't used enough leaf (I might not...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Longwu, Xihu, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: Flattened tea leaves, with one bud and one or two leaves

Harvest time: April 5, 2013

Taste: A subtle, rich, orchid like taste and aroma, with no hint of bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s XiHu Long Jing, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones. Long Jing tea is also widely renowned in China as a good tea to help calm the mind, cheer you up and clear your thinking.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea! I haven’t tried too many dragon wells yet, so am happy for the opportunity to try out another one and see how it compares!

The aroma of the brewed tea is light and sweet and a bit like boiled veggies (although that’s really only a hint). Unfortunately, I think I really underleafed this tea (forgot I was using a bit mug, and probably only scooped in ~1.5 tsp), and I am not getting a lot of flavour from it in spite of oversteeping it by over a minute. What I can taste is a bit of rock sugar sweetness in kind of a boiled veggie broth. Not astringent at all (but I’ve found that dragonwells don’t seem to get as astringent as some other greens for whatever reason). I’ll have to give this another shot later, but it’s certainly promising!

Tea sample provided by Teavivre for review
Follow up to my last tasting note on this tea

Today my first to the third steeps were lovely, and the fourth was ok but not as enjoyable. Not bitter at all or off putting in anyway.

Having tried both this and the premium version with quick steeps, I can taste the difference. But if you hadn’t tried the “good stuff”, this tea does a good job of standing on its own. Still, I think I prefer the flavour of the short steep method. If I were buying this type of tea, I would prefer the premium Dragon Well even though it is more expensive. But if you are looking for a cheap everyday Dragon Well this regular version is still a tasty option.

100ml gaiwan, 2 tsp, 4 steeps (50s + 10s resteeps)

Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample

I enjoyed the first steep of this tea the best. It was a tad softer and had a more elegant appeal. The 2nd and 3rd brew brought on a stronger and more bitter taste, which I didn’t mind, but didn’t love either. Subsequent steepings were mellower but maintained the depth of flavor with considerably less bitterness.

I must admit, my palette is a little biased towards Japanese green teas as that is just what I am more familiar with. But having said that, perhaps by time I finish all the generous samples of green tea from Angel and Teavivre, I might acquire a new-found love for the Chinese green tea. As for the number of times I steeped these leaves – I’m on number 5 and the leaves are still going strong.

This sample was generously sent along by Angel from Teavivre – thank you!
This is the first dragon well I have tried. The liquour was so light I was afraid I hadn’t used enough leaf (I might not have – I don’t have my little gram scale right now).
The flavor is subtle and interesting. It has a buttery scent to it, with a nutty flavor with a funny vegetal aftertaste. I’m not sure that I like it, but I am going to experiment with it and try a shorter steep with more leaves.

I am finishing off one the small sample bags today with my husband. It’s our first time using the gaiwan together instead of a traditional teapot so this could be interesting.

I think I may be adjusting to the perfumey taste, it doesn’t seem to be getting to me much today…infact it’s quite nice. Maybe this is one of those drinks that you like the more of it that you drink, I found Lapsang Souchong to be that way for me too.

Such a lovely way to relax on a Sunday.

KittyLovesTea

We have one spillage so far with the gaiwan…doh!

I’ve had two pots of this today. A nice break from flavored teas. It has a warm, almost nutty flavor to it. There are light floral undertones. It’s sweet and slightly rich.

Dry leaves look as if they were freshly cut, they are bright green, they smell of fresh green vegetables and grass and they seem so succulent as if one could soak the fresh juice out of them. Tea soup is light greenish-yellow. After 3 minutes’ steep, the smell is unchanged from the dry leaves, very fresh and inviting. The taste is mild, again it feels as if biting into an incredibly succulent apple or pear. But there is a slightly bitter aftertaste. Steeped leaves haven’t lost the pleasant juicy smell and they have uncurled.

High in fluoride, so good for teeth and bones?

Do you mean the naturally occuring fluorine? Or fluoride? Because fluoride is a toxic bi-product of several industries including: aluminum, nuclear and phosphate fertilizer. It is put in toothpaste and municipal water. It is also sprayed on crops. It is not good for your teeth. Not only that, but calcifies the pineal gland, lowers IQ, contributes to cancer, Alzheimer’s and more.

Tea #14 from Considering a new TTB
Out of all of the green teas I’ve had an opportunity to sample I’ve somehow manage to mostly bypass dragon well. I’m not sure how that is, but I’ve only had it a small handful of times and none of those times have been particularly recent. Normally when it comes to TeaVivre teas I sit down and enjoy them gongfu style, but this morning I’m suffering from a major lack of sleep and opted for western style since I was in a bit of a hurry for a hit of caffeine. This is a wonderful tea, it’s slightly vegetal and has a slightly buttery texture to it. The only thing that keeps this from my regular rotation of teas is the lack of sweetness, I tend to prefer naturally sweet greens over the more vegetal varieties.

This tea will not be continuing on, there was only a sample size in the box.

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 16 OZ / 473 ML

A sample from my first-ever order from Teavivre. Thanks, Angel! I’m sure there will be more.

I’ve never had a Dragon Well tea before, but I’ve often wanted to try. I’m going to hold off on a rating for now, because I want to see how the second steep goes. Anyways:

Dry Leaf: The leaves are long, flat, and thin, like feathers, and are a beautiful grass green. The smell is kind of like seaweed, though I do see what others mean when they mention buttered vegetables.

Steeping parameters: 3 tsp of leaf to 24 oz of water, 85°C, for 2 minutes. I think that was the problem – I think I should have steeped it for 3. Next time, though.

Liquor: A lovely light yellow-green that shades down to light amber as the tea sits in the cup. The wet leaf smelled surprisingly sweet and grassy (rather reminiscent of my Shincha Kuro from Capital Tea Ltd), and this transferred over to the taste. The taste is part seaweed, part sugar snap pea. Unfortunately, I think I understeeped this. I think I really should have gone for a steep of 3 minutes rather than 2. I’ll report back once I steep it properly.

Verdict: I like it, but I don’t want to give it a rating yet – I really need to see how this tastes with a 3 minute steep.

EDIT: I steeped the same leaves again once I got back home, and did an extra-long steep of 4 minutes. Unfortunately, the tea still tasted rather weak. Kind of sweet and hay-like, but nothing that really wowed me. However, I still have at least half of the sample left, so we’ll see if I can get it to work the next time I try.

gmathis

Long jings (my brain always says “green jeans” when I type that) are, I think, my favorite variety of green teas.

Christina

Did you see that Teavivre’s doing a big sale right now, including 2 varieties of Long Jing? Looks like they’re trying to sell out old remaining stock before the spring harvest starts.