Dragon Well Green Tea (Long Jing)

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Thanks to *Teavivre* for a sample of this tea! I haven't tried too many dragon wells yet, so am happy for the opportunity to try out another one and see how it compares! The aroma of the brewed...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2352 tasting notes
  • “~Tea sample provided by Teavivre for review~ Follow up to my last tasting note on this tea Today my first to the third steeps were lovely, and the fourth was ok but not as enjoyable. Not bitter at...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 318 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample I enjoyed the first steep of this tea the best. It was a tad softer and had a more elegant appeal. The 2nd and 3rd brew brought on a...” Read full tasting note
    canadianadia 349 tasting notes
  • “This sample was generously sent along by Angel from Teavivre - thank you! This is the first dragon well I have tried. The liquour was so light I was afraid I hadn't used enough leaf (I might not...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Longwu, Xihu, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: Flattened tea leaves, with one bud and one or two leaves

Taste: A subtle, rich, orchid like taste and aroma, with no hint of bitterness

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: TeaVivre’s XiHu Long Jing, have high levels of antioxidants and other natural chemicals that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also high in vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, they also promote healthy teeth and bones. Long Jing tea is also widely renowned in China as a good tea to help calm the mind, cheer you up and clear your thinking.

About Teavivre View company

Thanks to Teavivre for a sample of this tea! I haven’t tried too many dragon wells yet, so am happy for the opportunity to try out another one and see how it compares!

The aroma of the brewed tea is light and sweet and a bit like boiled veggies (although that’s really only a hint). Unfortunately, I think I really underleafed this tea (forgot I was using a bit mug, and probably only scooped in ~1.5 tsp), and I am not getting a lot of flavour from it in spite of oversteeping it by over a minute. What I can taste is a bit of rock sugar sweetness in kind of a boiled veggie broth. Not astringent at all (but I’ve found that dragonwells don’t seem to get as astringent as some other greens for whatever reason). I’ll have to give this another shot later, but it’s certainly promising!

Tea sample provided by Teavivre for review
Follow up to my last tasting note on this tea

Today my first to the third steeps were lovely, and the fourth was ok but not as enjoyable. Not bitter at all or off putting in anyway.

Having tried both this and the premium version with quick steeps, I can taste the difference. But if you hadn’t tried the “good stuff”, this tea does a good job of standing on its own. Still, I think I prefer the flavour of the short steep method. If I were buying this type of tea, I would prefer the premium Dragon Well even though it is more expensive. But if you are looking for a cheap everyday Dragon Well this regular version is still a tasty option.

100ml gaiwan, 2 tsp, 4 steeps (50s + 10s resteeps)

Thank you Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample

I enjoyed the first steep of this tea the best. It was a tad softer and had a more elegant appeal. The 2nd and 3rd brew brought on a stronger and more bitter taste, which I didn’t mind, but didn’t love either. Subsequent steepings were mellower but maintained the depth of flavor with considerably less bitterness.

I must admit, my palette is a little biased towards Japanese green teas as that is just what I am more familiar with. But having said that, perhaps by time I finish all the generous samples of green tea from Angel and Teavivre, I might acquire a new-found love for the Chinese green tea. As for the number of times I steeped these leaves – I’m on number 5 and the leaves are still going strong.

This sample was generously sent along by Angel from Teavivre – thank you!
This is the first dragon well I have tried. The liquour was so light I was afraid I hadn’t used enough leaf (I might not have – I don’t have my little gram scale right now).
The flavor is subtle and interesting. It has a buttery scent to it, with a nutty flavor with a funny vegetal aftertaste. I’m not sure that I like it, but I am going to experiment with it and try a shorter steep with more leaves.

I am finishing off one the small sample bags today with my husband. It’s our first time using the gaiwan together instead of a traditional teapot so this could be interesting.

I think I may be adjusting to the perfumey taste, it doesn’t seem to be getting to me much today…infact it’s quite nice. Maybe this is one of those drinks that you like the more of it that you drink, I found Lapsang Souchong to be that way for me too.

Such a lovely way to relax on a Sunday.

KittyLovesTea

We have one spillage so far with the gaiwan…doh!

I’ve had two pots of this today. A nice break from flavored teas. It has a warm, almost nutty flavor to it. There are light floral undertones. It’s sweet and slightly rich.

Dry leaves look as if they were freshly cut, they are bright green, they smell of fresh green vegetables and grass and they seem so succulent as if one could soak the fresh juice out of them. Tea soup is light greenish-yellow. After 3 minutes’ steep, the smell is unchanged from the dry leaves, very fresh and inviting. The taste is mild, again it feels as if biting into an incredibly succulent apple or pear. But there is a slightly bitter aftertaste. Steeped leaves haven’t lost the pleasant juicy smell and they have uncurled.

High in fluoride, so good for teeth and bones?

Do you mean the naturally occuring fluorine? Or fluoride? Because fluoride is a toxic bi-product of several industries including: aluminum, nuclear and phosphate fertilizer. It is put in toothpaste and municipal water. It is also sprayed on crops. It is not good for your teeth. Not only that, but calcifies the pineal gland, lowers IQ, contributes to cancer, Alzheimer’s and more.

Looking more closely at the dried leaves of this lower-tier Long Jing from Teavivre, I realized that it resembles Bancha physically! Kind of disheveled and haphazard—not the “fine china serve to guests” Long Jing, but the “I need Long Jing—now” kind.

It tastes good. I drank this two-glass tetsubin after a first meal of the day (MOD) at about 3pm, having slept in past noon. Today’s culinary discovery was yet another excellent surface for Nutella: split and toasted Ciabatta!

Who am I kidding? Every surface, up to and including that of a spoon, is perfect for Nutella. ;-)

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 45 sec 4 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
Cheri

I like Nutella in oatmeal, with ice cream, and on Ritz crackers.

Kirkoneill1988

i forget how much i liked it lol

yyz

My cousin had a party where she made dessert pizzas in a bread oven spread with Nutella marshmallows and topped with fresh strawberries after baking.

sherapop

OMG yyz!

sherapop

Cheri, I never tried the oatmeal idea. Hmmm…. mmmmm…

I had some extra time this afternoon to relax with tea, so I thought it would be a good time to try a tea I knew would be good for several steeps. I chose this one because I loved the idea of something lighter and spring-y.

The first steep had strong vegetal flavors and a buttery smoothness that was highly enjoyable. There was a little dryness on the back of my throat, but it was very mild. The second steep had fewer vegetal notes and many more buttery ones. No astringency at all. The third steep was very soft with a light sweetness and something almost floral but not. I enjoyed this steep a lot. The fourth steep brought back a bit of the buttery, smooth notes, but other than that it was fairly weak.

The second and third steeps were my favorites, but I thoroughly enjoyed this tea from start to finish. Thank you Angel and Teavivire for the chance to try this tea!