Taiwan Oriental Beauty (Bai Hao) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Grapes, Honey, Roasted, Vegetal, Loam, Muscatel, Stewed Fruits, Nuts, Peach, Malt, Pear, Pineapple, Honeysuckle, Spices, Cinnamon, Hay, Sugar, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Yoga, then Chinese Flute radio on Pandora, candles lit, and tea with hubby. He likes this one! I never thought I would see the day! Mr. Tetley-with-milk-and-sugar is drinking oolong plain and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1815 tasting notes
  • “I'm revisiting this one today and am a lot more impressed with it than the first time I tried it (May). Since then I have become a lot more comfortable with oolongs and gotten a lot better at...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 688 tasting notes
  • “Drinking this straight after a cold third steep of Verdant's Mi Lan Xiang Honey Phoenix. I'm noticing that this tastes much softer. The flavors blend and meld into each other. The autumnal...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 511 tasting notes
  • “I have been waiting with great anticipation for my Teavivre samples to arrive. Though they actually did several days ago, with my recent accident I'm still less than mobile and my poor wife must do...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 58 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Xinzhu (Hsinchu), Taiwan

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 19, 2013

Taste: A mellow, sweet taste

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 185 ºF (85 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Oriental Beauty Oolong Tea contains plenty of polyphenols which can increase the function of enzyme for breakdown of fats, reduce the blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, anti-oxidize, have some help of anti-aging.

About Teavivre View company

Roasty. Almost chocolately. A little woody. Highly satisfying, if a bit mundane. Exceptionally smooth. No bitterness, and no real aftertaste, this one just begs to be consumed quickly.

This is one of the best tasting oolongs I’ve had. The flavor has a depth and richness that is hard to describe, and hard to tease apart. I just know that I savored this tea, and it made me feel mellow and blissful. This is a comfort tea.

The leaves here are unique, shades of purple, hints of orange. Since Darjeeling is from India, I think this is China’s answer to that type of tea, but of course it can not be called Darjeeling. Everything about it reminds me of a Darjeeling, so I’m not sure why this is called an oolong. I used two teaspoons of these lovely leaves…

Steep #1 // 20 min after boiling // rinse // 1 min
Juicy like a fruit, succulent comes to mind which is a word I don’t usually use, light, honey, sweet, autumn leaves, a hint of muscatel. A lighter Darjeeling type.

Steep #2 // 20 min after boiling // 2 min
Another very smooth cup – honey like! It doesn’t seem as flavorful as the first steep. Not as a tough as a typical Darjeeling but I kind of like if for that. I probably could have used more than two teaspoons. I hate to keep comparing it to Darjeeling, but I imagine most people have tried more Darjeeling than these Beauties.

Steep #3 // 20 min after boiling // 2 1/2 min
Yet another smooth cup – no bitterness. More autumn leaf lite. It’s almost more like one of those Kenya white teas like White Rhino from Butiki. Very nice, but I’ll have to try it with more leaves next time. I’d say the first cup was the most complex.

mj

I’m a huge fan of White Rhino. I may have to check this one out!

Tea Sipper

Well, not exactly the same… it’s the same type of thing but White Rhino is hands down my favorite white tea.

This smells pretty nice, it’s sweet and mildly fruity. I get honey and some grape in the flavour, and some light floral notes. (The leaves are really pretty too.)

Flavors: Floral, Grapes, Honey

Watching the FIFA World Cup gives me the perfect opportunity to sit down and cuddle up to warm cups of lovely tea. Plus, I love the commercials on the Spanish channel… they are much more humorous than American commercials. .

Drinking this alongside the Monkey Picked Oolong also by Teavivre.

This tea has beautiful tea leaves with white tips… it’s gorgeous and looks nothing like other oolongs that I have had before.
This tea has a much stronger roasted flavor than the Monkey picked oolong. It isn’t too green or grassy but it does have a slight floral taste to it. I love the natural accent of honey in the background.. it really pulls together the flavors for me. It’s really smooth and just gets better and creamier with each successive resteep.

Thank you, Teavivre!

Flavors: Honey, Roasted, Vegetal

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 5 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML
TheTeaFairy

I just love Oriental Beauty, it’s a leaf hopper bitten tea, that’s one of the reasons why it’s honey sweet :-)

albertocanfly

That natural honey flavor is amazing! I love it!:] What does it mean to be leaf hopper bitten? Sorry, still learning!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, please don’t apologize!
It’s an insect that attacks and bites the fresh leaves. The bite action creates an early oxidization before the harvest while the leave is trying to “heal” itself. They discovered that the “bruises” give a sweet honey taste to the tea! Isn’t nature fabulous?

TheTeaFairy

Albertocanfly, here’s a note I wrote a while ago about OB. You can look at some close up shots I took from the bitten leaves to illustrate the process. Look at your own spent leaves from Teavivre, you’ll probably see the tiny littles bites too :-)

albertocanfly

That is incredible! Nature does it again with the pure incredibleness! . I love the chemistry behind the early oxidation. How awesome.
Oh my goodness… I do see some! And your pictures are incredible! Wow, you have quite the photography skills.

TheTeaFairy

I thought you might enjoy :-)

Nattie

I find your comment about the commercially really funny – I am English, so watching the World Cup on English TV, and I swear our adverts are the worst. So dire. The reason I found your comment funny is that I am a big basketball fan too, and it’s not very big over here so I often watch NBA online, complete with American adverts. Me and my partner often comment on how much better, funnier and generally more imaginative than ours the American commercials are! I think they’re brilliant (:

I am having a great nostalgia moment. Ben’s family went out for sushi and brought me back some, which is awesome since I love sushi. I thought back to my first experience with sushi, I had to be three or four, visiting my grandparents. My uncle was also visiting and making sushi, I remember getting my greedy hands on the toasted nori and loving it, and my grandmother teaching me to eat with chopsticks. I have no memory of the sushi itself, but the preparation is clear in my mind all these years later.

Today’s tea is Teavivre’s Oriental Beauty (Bai Hao) Oolong Tea, (or Dong Fang Mei Ren) a very fancy Taiwanese oolong that has an interesting symbiotic relationship with leaf hoppers. High in the mountains of Xinzh, Taiwan, leaf hoppers nibble on the leaves of the tea plant causing an immune response, which gives us a very unique taste and aroma. Without this little adorable green bugs, we would not have this tea. The aroma is quite rich, a blend of yeasty sweet bread, sharp muscatel, and sweet raw honey. There are also faint notes of loam and smoke at the finish. Overall the aroma of this tea is quite sweet.

Brewing the tea, the leaves have a very deep and rich aroma. It is a blend of caramel and muscatel sweetness with an almost earthy, almost loamy finish. There is also a very faint hint of cinnamon that gives the tea a layer of warmth that blends really well with the loam and earthy notes. The aroma of the liquid is warm and sweet, with notes of caramel, molasses, and a finish of muscatel. The aroma of this tea reminds me of late summer and the promise of autumn. It warms me and is very soothing.

The first sip fulfills the promise of warmth and richness from the aroma. At first the taste is richly sweet and muscatel, as the sip slides down my mouth it changes to honey and lastly loam. The aftertaste is sweet and like honey. I found that the mouthfeel was smooth and slightly tingly, probably from the adorable little fuzzy bits on the leaves. This steep managed to have a very distinct presence while being delicate and light, now onto steep two!

The aroma of the second steep is much more muscatel sweet and has an extra intensity. After the initial muscatel aroma it fades to a gentle loam. The mouthfeel is drier than the first steep and it does not have the tingling feeling. The taste is great, a tiny bit of stewed plums, a hint of cinnamon warmth, and a nice heavy dosage of sweet muscatel and loam. Again I am reminded of summer, except this is very late summer after the harvest and you are getting ready for the creeping chill of autumn.

For the third steep the aroma of the liquid is sweetly muscatel, a bit of loam, and a sweet finish of stewed spiced plums. Like the second steep, the mouthfeel is dry, which gives it a mouth smacking brightness. Yes, I did the lip smacking yummy sound, I am very dignified. The taste is very similar to the second steep, just more of it. Stronger notes of stewed plum and muscatel, with hints of spice and a sweet aftertaste.

Time for the fourth and final steeping. The aroma is mildly sweet and loamy, it is faint in comparison to the previous steep, but still quite nice. The taste sings the same song, this tea has performed its beautiful song and now it nears the finish. The taste is a delicate blend of loam and sweet plum. It is refreshing, like the tea you would want to sip after a long day outside harvesting your garden. Bai Hao Oolong has been on my ‘must taste’ list for a very long time, now that I have experienced it I can see why Queen Victoria (The first and best) called it Oriental Beauty, it is truly a beautiful tea.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/teavivre-oriental-beauty-bai-hao-oolong.html

Flavors: Honey, Loam, Muscatel, Stewed Fruits

hapatite

This tea sounds quite special! I’ve wish-listed it :)

I steeped this according to boychik’s suggestion (I think that was who sent me this…).

I did a short-ish steep for 1 minute, then another minute, then another.

First impression is butter? Shortening? Not texture, but taste. Ah, got it – pie crust! Or a croissant. Not bready but simple pastry-ey. Lightly sweet, very lightly. Smells very strongly of pie crust. This is very light. The second minute it became a little sweeter and much more strongly pie crust. At 3 minutes it is still pie crust but becoming somewhat watery, though I haven’t added any more water to the cup.

This is an interesting oolong and maybe my first Oriental Beauty? Can’t remember. I wish our tealogs were sortable by name, not just most recent and most popular. Thanks for the sample, boychik!

boychik

Nicole, I hope you still have some left. try gongfu. short steeps like 10-15 sec. you maybe surprised

Nicole

I do have some left. I must have misunderstood the instructions you sent. I saw that you said you liked short steeps, but I thought the 1 minute was your suggestion! I will try again. :)

My short steeps are 5/10/15sec.;). And I rinsed that tea too to wake up leaves

Last night i got a very thoughtful gift – scale. Now I’m not going to guess how much tea should I put. it will make my tea journey a little easier. ( i want to be a tea nerd, haha)
This tea i had several times and i dont know why i never logged it.
5g 150ml 185F
rinse 10/15/30/30/45/1min etc
this tea is so complex. every steep doesnt look like previous one.
Started with faint fresh peach or apricot, some nuts. the following steeps were more intense introducing muscatel flavors. yes at some point it was like Darjeeling. By fifth steep some citrus notes emerged maybe like lemon myrtle(?)
During my session i never noticed any bitterness, i think its because of short steeps (my fave method of brewing Chinese and Taiwanese teas)
This is not an everyday tea , its a special treat.

Flavors: Grapes, Nuts, Peach

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
K S

boychik since only 10% of tea is loose, and you used the words complex, notes, and muscatel in the same paragragh, the scale was note required to become a tea nerd. It is just further proof, its like having a periodic table app on your phone. Wear the label proudly! :)

I’m proud of it ;-)

mrmopar

Second the scale. Especially for puerh. !10 grams of sheng will 20 grams of shou. The main reason I got my scale.

ifjuly

haha, K S is right. be proud in your tea nerdery!

i keep considering getting a scale and not quite biting the bullet. i think eventually i will. i’ll be curious to hear over time whether you think it makes a big difference in your tea experience. and yeah, i think if i decide i really love pu erh (still not sure how that’s going to play out!) it’ll make a lot of sense.

boychik

Remember my note abt Haiwan Peacock Quest. I totally overdid it. What about those curly long twisty leaves mainly Taiwanese? They don’t even fit in tablespoon.

It’s snowing here. Snow? It is spring according to the calendar. Someone should tell nature to knock it off.

Oolongs I like. I am always willing to drink one. On the other hand, I never wake up thinking I need oolong. This one may just be one that might cause that to happen. Seriously.

From the moment I opened the sample I knew this was different. The dry leaf scent is grain and malt. Malt in an oolong, who knew? The leaf looks like Bai Mu Dan but darker. The wet leaf scent is dry forest leaves and malt. The liquor is deep honey colored.

The taste is wonderful honey soaked in malt. There is a light earthiness with some fruit and floral notes. This is not strongly geranium floral like most green oolongs and it is definitely not roasty tasting. It reminds me as much of Bai Mu Dan as anything. This is not so subtle that you have to search flavors out but it it is not overly anything either like I generally find in oolong.

Reading through some of the tasting notes, I think how you feel about this will depend as much on how you feel about oolong as anything. Those of us who don’t crave oolong seem to view this very favorably. Count me as impressed.

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

The little bit of snow we got melted this morning, but it is still frigid. I am so ready for spring. Also this tea looks delicious!

Cheri

It’s snowing here, too. Blah.

boychik

any peach or chestnut detected? i really like it gongfu style. do you have enough to try? i can share some if you want.
we expect snow tonight and gusty winds tomorrow. Snow in Brooklyn end of March….

K S

boychik, I have more to experiment with. I did not detect peach. Chestnut might have been there but my mind doesn’t think that way without prompting. Funny you mention peach. After drinking multiple cups of this one, I switched to Keemun grade 1, and I was just about to log it when I saw your comment. With this oolong as the lead in, the Keemun had very strong and obvious peach and cinnamon notes. I don’t recall catching those before.

boychik

turned out I never logged it. Will do it tomorrow. Maybe peach is just my imagination;)

Angrboda

Boychik, it’s not just you. I’ve defintily found peaches or stone-fruits in this type of oolong before.

ashmanra

Sometimes when I am cooking vegetables, especially sautéing them in olive oil or butter, I will smell something that triggers the most intense cravings for oolong! I generally HAVE to make some right away.

I love the speckled color of the leaves. Beautiful Earth tones of cream, brown, moss, ash. Then after brewing, the leaves open up and present even more assorted color.
The liquor is a golden color with sweet Moscato wine scent & stewed fruits.
The flavor has malt, sorghum, cereal, touch of almond milk. There is no tannin or astringency and I like that about Oriental Beauty.
I have a beautiful purple Zisha Yixing for this tea that I am getting ready to season. I love it.
I love the legends about the Queen and the braggart farmer. I love the lower brew temperature. I love that the leaf hopper (tea jassid) gets to enjoy his breakfast and bite the leaves to add some of the particular flavors.
Everything about this tea is beauty and this one from Teavivre is very delicious!!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/28/14
Had a cup this afternoon. Haven’t had Oriental Beauty in a while bc I burned myself out on it but I’m back!! The liquor is absolutely gorgeous, a pineapple golden yellow. It has flavors of pineapple and honey too. Flavors of cooked pear, stewed peaches,,this one is so balanced and flavorful!! Love it!!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Pear, Pineapple, Stewed Fruits