Taiwan Oriental Beauty (Bai Hao) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Cinnamon, Honey, Raisins, Roasted, Roasted nuts, Sweet, Fruity, Grapes, Honeysuckle, Vegetal, Floral, Loam, Muscatel, Stewed Fruits, Nuts, Peach, Malt, Pear, Pineapple, Spices, Hay, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Yoga, then Chinese Flute radio on Pandora, candles lit, and tea with hubby. He likes this one! I never thought I would see the day! Mr. Tetley-with-milk-and-sugar is drinking oolong plain and...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “I'm revisiting this one today and am a lot more impressed with it than the first time I tried it (May). Since then I have become a lot more comfortable with oolongs and gotten a lot better at...” Read full tasting note
    Uniquity 698 tasting notes
  • “Drinking this straight after a cold third steep of Verdant's Mi Lan Xiang Honey Phoenix. I'm noticing that this tastes much softer. The flavors blend and meld into each other. The autumnal...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 520 tasting notes
  • “I have been waiting with great anticipation for my Teavivre samples to arrive. Though they actually did several days ago, with my recent accident I'm still less than mobile and my poor wife must do...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 60 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Xinzhu (Hsinchu), Taiwan

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 19, 2013

Taste: A mellow, sweet taste

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 185 ºF (85 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Oriental Beauty Oolong Tea contains plenty of polyphenols which can increase the function of enzyme for breakdown of fats, reduce the blood cholesterol levels, lower blood pressure, anti-oxidize, have some help of anti-aging.

About Teavivre View company

It’s snowing here. Snow? It is spring according to the calendar. Someone should tell nature to knock it off.

Oolongs I like. I am always willing to drink one. On the other hand, I never wake up thinking I need oolong. This one may just be one that might cause that to happen. Seriously.

From the moment I opened the sample I knew this was different. The dry leaf scent is grain and malt. Malt in an oolong, who knew? The leaf looks like Bai Mu Dan but darker. The wet leaf scent is dry forest leaves and malt. The liquor is deep honey colored.

The taste is wonderful honey soaked in malt. There is a light earthiness with some fruit and floral notes. This is not strongly geranium floral like most green oolongs and it is definitely not roasty tasting. It reminds me as much of Bai Mu Dan as anything. This is not so subtle that you have to search flavors out but it it is not overly anything either like I generally find in oolong.

Reading through some of the tasting notes, I think how you feel about this will depend as much on how you feel about oolong as anything. Those of us who don’t crave oolong seem to view this very favorably. Count me as impressed.

185 °F / 85 °C 4 min, 0 sec 5 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

The little bit of snow we got melted this morning, but it is still frigid. I am so ready for spring. Also this tea looks delicious!

Cheri

It’s snowing here, too. Blah.

boychik

any peach or chestnut detected? i really like it gongfu style. do you have enough to try? i can share some if you want.
we expect snow tonight and gusty winds tomorrow. Snow in Brooklyn end of March….

K S

boychik, I have more to experiment with. I did not detect peach. Chestnut might have been there but my mind doesn’t think that way without prompting. Funny you mention peach. After drinking multiple cups of this one, I switched to Keemun grade 1, and I was just about to log it when I saw your comment. With this oolong as the lead in, the Keemun had very strong and obvious peach and cinnamon notes. I don’t recall catching those before.

boychik

turned out I never logged it. Will do it tomorrow. Maybe peach is just my imagination;)

Angrboda

Boychik, it’s not just you. I’ve defintily found peaches or stone-fruits in this type of oolong before.

ashmanra

Sometimes when I am cooking vegetables, especially sautéing them in olive oil or butter, I will smell something that triggers the most intense cravings for oolong! I generally HAVE to make some right away.

I love the speckled color of the leaves. Beautiful Earth tones of cream, brown, moss, ash. Then after brewing, the leaves open up and present even more assorted color.
The liquor is a golden color with sweet Moscato wine scent & stewed fruits.
The flavor has malt, sorghum, cereal, touch of almond milk. There is no tannin or astringency and I like that about Oriental Beauty.
I have a beautiful purple Zisha Yixing for this tea that I am getting ready to season. I love it.
I love the legends about the Queen and the braggart farmer. I love the lower brew temperature. I love that the leaf hopper (tea jassid) gets to enjoy his breakfast and bite the leaves to add some of the particular flavors.
Everything about this tea is beauty and this one from Teavivre is very delicious!!
__________________________________________________________________________
7/28/14
Had a cup this afternoon. Haven’t had Oriental Beauty in a while bc I burned myself out on it but I’m back!! The liquor is absolutely gorgeous, a pineapple golden yellow. It has flavors of pineapple and honey too. Flavors of cooked pear, stewed peaches,,this one is so balanced and flavorful!! Love it!!

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Pear, Pineapple, Stewed Fruits

To me, the tea tasted very subtle, almost indiscernible. OK and drinkable, but not enough to keep in stock. Followed steeping time on the package which was longer than the description on steepster.

Dark Oolong that is light orange in color. I can’t really place the aroma, it is pleasing though. Slightly sweet and mellow, I feel like there are a lot of flavors going on in this tea that I can’t really describe any in particular. Kind of an olio of flavors. It is quite delicious. I think it taste a little like graham crackers.

205 °F / 96 °C

Smokey black leaves, long and twisted, not green and semi balled like the other Oolongs in my cupboard, these leaves present a smooth sweet light scent of spice and grass with a buttery undertone.

It looks like a black tea, so i brewed it like a black tea, 2 tsp per cup at 185F for 3 minutes. The tea was pale orange, light bodied, and offered only the slightest aroma of the dry leaves.

Typical Oolong flavor, light yeasty, bready taste; no hint of malt or astringency, ends with a rich floral note that lingers on the palate. It was a soft pleasant brew, tasteful, refreshing, and worthy of a regular place in my cupboard.

Tomorrow I’ll re-steep the leaves, just to see how they’ll hold up to another brewing.

Gene