Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Kale, Mineral, Nuts, Spinach, Vegetal, Lemon, Nutty, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 124. I actually meant to grab a different sample pouch this morning, but my brain is somewhat addled from poor sleep last night, so this one it is. Another of my winnings from Teavivre's...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2036 tasting notes
  • “I am trying the very last sample of this tea brewing it with the mug style. I have a nice clear mug that I can see my leaves in. I am mostly waiting for the tea to cool down to a drinkable...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 540 tasting notes
  • “A lovely Oolong - sweet, and so delicate! The floral notes are very soft in the first cup. With subsequent infusions, the flavors do pick up a little bit, but they remain a little on the delicate...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4663 tasting notes
  • “Thanks LiberTEAS for this sample. Let me start by saying this is a good tea to break me (or anyone else needing broken in I suppose) to green teas in that I've not had but a couple I enjoyed and I...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 60 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongding, Naitou, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: Naturally sweet, fruity aroma and has strong charm

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Polyphenolic compounds in Dong Ding Oolong can prevent overall oxidise, and Purine alkaloids have the function of clear free radicals, so that it can have effect of preventing aging.

About Teavivre View company

I absolutely LOVE oolongs, and I unfortunately don’t have a lot of them. My tea cupboard comprises mostly of blacks and herbals! I decided to treat myself today with this tea. I ordered 2 sample sizes of this tea a couple of months ago from Teavivre when there was a sale.

I opened the small metallic wrapper and immediately saw the bright, fresh green balls of this leaf with a stem on each one. It reminded me of cooked spinach! It smelled so delightful! It was sweet smelling and vegetal.

I recently purchased a beautiful yixing teapot set! I wanted to use it, but I felt like I should make my first cup with my husband. So another day with that! Wow I really went off topic…

Anyhow, this tea, as with most oolongs and other teas, withstood several steeps. I always watching the first steep because it is beautiful to see how the leaves “dance” in my gaiwan.

First steep: 30 seconds, 190 degrees. The brew was a light yellow color. This one smelled very vegetal, not like nori, but almost like a green. The taste was amazing! Light and airy florals dancing in my mouth. It was smooth like butter! There was a slight sweetness to it as well.

Second steep: 50 seconds. The leaves are nearly unfurled at this point. Brew was a jaundice/neon yellow! This brew was more floral and bolder than the first steep. It is sweet and juicy like a berry!

Third steep: 1 min. This steep was lighter and became more fruity! Delicious! The floral tones were fading more. There was a bit more astringency, but it still went down like butter!

Delicious tea!!

While brewing in the cup this smells like hot rocks/minerals, also vegetal (boiled greens), maybe even like roasted butter? Some floral aroma is in the background. The taste I am getting is basically the same, with the vegetal scents coming through in the fore-front. I have had green teas before that had a buttery taste to them that I am fond of, but this is the first time I have tasted similar notes in an oolong. There is also a slight honeyesque sweetness I am getting on finish. Pretty complex. I like it.

Another generous sample from Teavivre!

First, it smells like buttery greens that have been thrown into the oven for a couple of minutes. It tastes very similar with an even more pronounced butter flavor, slightly roasted and slighty vegetal. For a lighter oolong this sure has a lot of heft and body. The second steeping brings out a sweeter fruitier taste. Wonderful oolong and it holds up to many steepings.

Sipdown (89)! I know I got this from someone on Steepster in a swap, but all the samples got mixed up in my move across the country, so I can’t remember who, sorry! Anyway, I finally got around to trying this one out. Even though I used (visually speaking, not a lot of measuring going on) a pretty hefty leaf to water ratio, the flavor of this one was still pretty mild. I may have let my water cool down a touch too much. The main flavor I was getting kind of rode the line between floral and grassy if that makes any sense. I wasn’t getting much nuttiness as I often do from greener oolongs, but it was still pretty tasty. I’ll probably resteep the leaves with some hotter water when I get back from the gym later, so I will update this note with any new findings if I do!

I like this one. Green, sweet, refreshing! It’s very soft and delicate, great in the afternoon as a pick-me-up. I think I prefer the fuller flavoured oolongs, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down a cup of this :)

What a great oolong. I steeped this in my gaiwan using the small packet it came in for about 3 seconds with 1 more second each steep. This tea is thick sometimes and has great character. On third steeping it got very sweet. Like has already been said, it’s light though. it’s like breathing in the breeze that blows through a garden. Very nice oolong and very affordable. I like teavivre more and more every day.

This oolong style is close to a green tea in taste and apperance. There is a slight sweet taste, and a smell similar to dragonwell. Thanks teavivre for the sample, this is one I enjoyed and will probably buy in the future.

WAY floral, I expected more of a roasted flavor and this goes kind of overboard on the floral, I still like it, don’t get me wrong, but it certainly doesn’t go with what I fixed for dinner.

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

This is tasty – I am glad to have a bit of a break from teaching, as student teaching is now over, so I have days where I can resteep a bunch of times. I am at my parents’, so my skills as a tea brewer are being tested a bit. I only have my kettle that boils water so I estimate temperature, and there is no water filter so I am aware flavors might not quite be true.

That might be the case with this one, which tastes predominately mineral with floral creamy notes too. It got more floral and less creamy with each steep, and I steeped it three times before being done with it. Overall, I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t super special.

Yummy but doesn’t shine quite as bright as other teavivre oolongs. I think I hold them to a higher standard than most.

I’m actually enjoying this cooler rather than just steeped. I’m not really good at describing it well right now. I had some wasabi ranch snapea crisps with them and that was a really lovely pairing. I think the creaminess of the tea cut the heat of the wasabi.

I’ll definitely do a couple more steepings of the leaves.

Cameron B.

This one was super vegetal to me, and I liked it a lot. :D