Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Cream, Fruit Punch, Fruity, Sweet, Vegetal, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Kale, Mineral, Nuts, Spinach, Lemon, Nutty, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 124. I actually meant to grab a different sample pouch this morning, but my brain is somewhat addled from poor sleep last night, so this one it is. Another of my winnings from...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “I am trying the very last sample of this tea brewing it with the mug style. I have a nice clear mug that I can see my leaves in. I am mostly waiting for the tea to cool down to a drinkable...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 550 tasting notes
  • “A lovely Oolong – sweet, and so delicate! The floral notes are very soft in the first cup. With subsequent infusions, the flavors do pick up a little bit, but they remain a little on the...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4833 tasting notes
  • “Thanks LiberTEAS for this sample. Let me start by saying this is a good tea to break me (or anyone else needing broken in I suppose) to green teas in that I’ve not had but a couple I enjoyed...” Read full tasting note
    tunes-and-tea 60 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongding, Naitou, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: Naturally sweet, fruity aroma and has strong charm

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Polyphenolic compounds in Dong Ding Oolong can prevent overall oxidise, and Purine alkaloids have the function of clear free radicals, so that it can have effect of preventing aging.

About Teavivre View company

I absolutely LOVE oolongs, and I unfortunately don’t have a lot of them. My tea cupboard comprises mostly of blacks and herbals! I decided to treat myself today with this tea. I ordered 2 sample sizes of this tea a couple of months ago from Teavivre when there was a sale.

I opened the small metallic wrapper and immediately saw the bright, fresh green balls of this leaf with a stem on each one. It reminded me of cooked spinach! It smelled so delightful! It was sweet smelling and vegetal.

I recently purchased a beautiful yixing teapot set! I wanted to use it, but I felt like I should make my first cup with my husband. So another day with that! Wow I really went off topic…

Anyhow, this tea, as with most oolongs and other teas, withstood several steeps. I always watching the first steep because it is beautiful to see how the leaves “dance” in my gaiwan.

First steep: 30 seconds, 190 degrees. The brew was a light yellow color. This one smelled very vegetal, not like nori, but almost like a green. The taste was amazing! Light and airy florals dancing in my mouth. It was smooth like butter! There was a slight sweetness to it as well.

Second steep: 50 seconds. The leaves are nearly unfurled at this point. Brew was a jaundice/neon yellow! This brew was more floral and bolder than the first steep. It is sweet and juicy like a berry!

Third steep: 1 min. This steep was lighter and became more fruity! Delicious! The floral tones were fading more. There was a bit more astringency, but it still went down like butter!

Delicious tea!!

While brewing in the cup this smells like hot rocks/minerals, also vegetal (boiled greens), maybe even like roasted butter? Some floral aroma is in the background. The taste I am getting is basically the same, with the vegetal scents coming through in the fore-front. I have had green teas before that had a buttery taste to them that I am fond of, but this is the first time I have tasted similar notes in an oolong. There is also a slight honeyesque sweetness I am getting on finish. Pretty complex. I like it.

Another generous sample from Teavivre!

First, it smells like buttery greens that have been thrown into the oven for a couple of minutes. It tastes very similar with an even more pronounced butter flavor, slightly roasted and slighty vegetal. For a lighter oolong this sure has a lot of heft and body. The second steeping brings out a sweeter fruitier taste. Wonderful oolong and it holds up to many steepings.

Sipdown (89)! I know I got this from someone on Steepster in a swap, but all the samples got mixed up in my move across the country, so I can’t remember who, sorry! Anyway, I finally got around to trying this one out. Even though I used (visually speaking, not a lot of measuring going on) a pretty hefty leaf to water ratio, the flavor of this one was still pretty mild. I may have let my water cool down a touch too much. The main flavor I was getting kind of rode the line between floral and grassy if that makes any sense. I wasn’t getting much nuttiness as I often do from greener oolongs, but it was still pretty tasty. I’ll probably resteep the leaves with some hotter water when I get back from the gym later, so I will update this note with any new findings if I do!

I like this one. Green, sweet, refreshing! It’s very soft and delicate, great in the afternoon as a pick-me-up. I think I prefer the fuller flavoured oolongs, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down a cup of this :)

What a great oolong. I steeped this in my gaiwan using the small packet it came in for about 3 seconds with 1 more second each steep. This tea is thick sometimes and has great character. On third steeping it got very sweet. Like has already been said, it’s light though. it’s like breathing in the breeze that blows through a garden. Very nice oolong and very affordable. I like teavivre more and more every day.

This oolong style is close to a green tea in taste and apperance. There is a slight sweet taste, and a smell similar to dragonwell. Thanks teavivre for the sample, this is one I enjoyed and will probably buy in the future.

My “Anniversary oolong-order” from Teavivre came today. I somehow ordered only oolongs! Teavivre actually made me an oolong-addict so now circle is complete. Along with this I got some dancong, anxi TGY and anniversary sampler + some samples. So much new tea to taste…

I’ve only tasted Dong Ding-like oolongs like Green Jade and I’ve loved them so this was obvious choice to try. Aroma is delightful, sweet and fruity with hint of pea-like vegetality. Big oolong balls are light to dark green in color and they have a yellowish brown stem.

I used 5g/60ml, a porcelain gaiwan and 90C water for green oolong (maybe a wrong choice, but I like to live dangerously).

1st steep
Tea is mildly yellow and has very little aroma. Taste is sweet, but mild. Maybe it needs hotter water.

2nd steep
Taiwan Dong Ding starts to open up despite wrong temperature choice. Sweet and fruity taste and aroma with little astrigency. Tea color is now greenish yellow.

3rd steep
Going even more green. Same taste as in 2nd steep. Nice creamy-buttery mouthfeel and taste.

4rd steep
This tea is just as I imaginated. It’s beautiful, it has nice sweet, fruity and creamy taste with buttery mouthfeel and wonderful aroma. I just likey-likey this kind of oolongs. This was from 2014 so it’s bit over an year old. I wonder what would fresh one taste like… More tasting notes coming from this one definitely.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Fruit Punch, Fruity, Sweet, Vegetal

195 °F / 90 °C 5 g 2 OZ / 65 ML

Oh dear, I really thought I logged this when I first tried it — I finished off the sample pouch weeks ago so now I’m trying to do this from memory.

I did like it. I thought it was a bit more sweet pea than sweet potato, and there was something slightly biting about it. I think I still prefer milk oolong, but this is definitely worth trying if you are interested in oolongs on the green side.

What a lovely tea!
When I taste, the vegetal element is in the forefront, with the sweetness following. Hints of rock sugar and snap peas are present, along with a mineral quality I really enjoy. While waiting for my next infusion to finish steeping, the aftertaste is light and sweet.
This is a very interesting and quite delicious tea, smooth and perfect for a mid morning tea break. :D
The leaves unfurl further with each infusion, turning my gaiwan into an art piece for this tea session…. So pretty!