Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Floral, Lemon
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 124. I actually meant to grab a different sample pouch this morning, but my brain is somewhat addled from poor sleep last night, so this one it is. Another of my winnings from Teavivre's...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1964 tasting notes
  • “I am trying the very last sample of this tea brewing it with the mug style. I have a nice clear mug that I can see my leaves in. I am mostly waiting for the tea to cool down to a drinkable...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes
  • “A lovely Oolong - sweet, and so delicate! The floral notes are very soft in the first cup. With subsequent infusions, the flavors do pick up a little bit, but they remain a little on the delicate...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4421 tasting notes
  • “Thanks LiberTEAS for this sample. Let me start by saying this is a good tea to break me (or anyone else needing broken in I suppose) to green teas in that I've not had but a couple I enjoyed and I...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 58 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongding, Naitou, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: Naturally sweet, fruity aroma and has strong charm

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Polyphenolic compounds in Dong Ding Oolong can prevent overall oxidise, and Purine alkaloids have the function of clear free radicals, so that it can have effect of preventing aging.

About Teavivre View company

I absolutely LOVE oolongs, and I unfortunately don’t have a lot of them. My tea cupboard comprises mostly of blacks and herbals! I decided to treat myself today with this tea. I ordered 2 sample sizes of this tea a couple of months ago from Teavivre when there was a sale.

I opened the small metallic wrapper and immediately saw the bright, fresh green balls of this leaf with a stem on each one. It reminded me of cooked spinach! It smelled so delightful! It was sweet smelling and vegetal.

I recently purchased a beautiful yixing teapot set! I wanted to use it, but I felt like I should make my first cup with my husband. So another day with that! Wow I really went off topic…

Anyhow, this tea, as with most oolongs and other teas, withstood several steeps. I always watching the first steep because it is beautiful to see how the leaves “dance” in my gaiwan.

First steep: 30 seconds, 190 degrees. The brew was a light yellow color. This one smelled very vegetal, not like nori, but almost like a green. The taste was amazing! Light and airy florals dancing in my mouth. It was smooth like butter! There was a slight sweetness to it as well.

Second steep: 50 seconds. The leaves are nearly unfurled at this point. Brew was a jaundice/neon yellow! This brew was more floral and bolder than the first steep. It is sweet and juicy like a berry!

Third steep: 1 min. This steep was lighter and became more fruity! Delicious! The floral tones were fading more. There was a bit more astringency, but it still went down like butter!

Delicious tea!!

While brewing in the cup this smells like hot rocks/minerals, also vegetal (boiled greens), maybe even like roasted butter? Some floral aroma is in the background. The taste I am getting is basically the same, with the vegetal scents coming through in the fore-front. I have had green teas before that had a buttery taste to them that I am fond of, but this is the first time I have tasted similar notes in an oolong. There is also a slight honeyesque sweetness I am getting on finish. Pretty complex. I like it.

Another generous sample from Teavivre!

First, it smells like buttery greens that have been thrown into the oven for a couple of minutes. It tastes very similar with an even more pronounced butter flavor, slightly roasted and slighty vegetal. For a lighter oolong this sure has a lot of heft and body. The second steeping brings out a sweeter fruitier taste. Wonderful oolong and it holds up to many steepings.

A quick tasting note. Very green oolong, mildly bitter, not as sweet and nutty as other oolongs that I’ve had. I probably will not order more, but I really am enjoying the sample while it lasts.

I like this one. Green, sweet, refreshing! It’s very soft and delicate, great in the afternoon as a pick-me-up. I think I prefer the fuller flavoured oolongs, but I definitely wouldn’t turn down a cup of this :)

What a great oolong. I steeped this in my gaiwan using the small packet it came in for about 3 seconds with 1 more second each steep. This tea is thick sometimes and has great character. On third steeping it got very sweet. Like has already been said, it’s light though. it’s like breathing in the breeze that blows through a garden. Very nice oolong and very affordable. I like teavivre more and more every day.

This oolong style is close to a green tea in taste and apperance. There is a slight sweet taste, and a smell similar to dragonwell. Thanks teavivre for the sample, this is one I enjoyed and will probably buy in the future.

I’ve been working my way through the greenest-looking oolong samples in my possession, and next up was Teavivre’s Dong Ding from Taiwan. According to The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea, this oolong is closely related to TGY, and I have to agree. Legend has it that the Fujian province TGY came first, but no one seems to be sure.

The liquor is yellow with a tinge of green, and the gnarled knots unfurl completely by the second infusion to reveal leaf sets which look to consist of two leaves and a bud. The darkish green color of the infused leaves glistens , making them seem as though they were still alive—just plucked and in perfect condition.

The flavor is floral and creamy lemon—but only very subtly so. There is no citric tartness whatsoever here, and the texture is smooth. I drank four infusions—each batch becoming brighter yellow than the previous—before bidding farewell to these lovely leaves.

(7/30/14)

Flavors: Floral, Lemon

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
apt

Tieguanyin is any tea made with the cultivar Tieguanyin. Dong Ding is any tea grown on Dong Ding Mountain in Lugu Township. Most of them, this one included, use the Qing Xin cultivar, commonly used for high mountain oolongs.

sherapop

Thank you so much, apt! As you can see, I am a bona fide oolong gringo!

Another sample from the oolong sample set! I may or may not be trying some more teas from Teavivre this week in advance of the sale. I am definitely getting one those pu-erh cakes before they are gone entirely… it’s my favorite pu-erh! I used an entire sample pouch, two heaping teaspoons. The bright green tightly rolled bundles have the scent of creamed vegetables.

Steep #1 // five minutes after boiling // rinse // 1 min
I was going for boiling on this one, but I was a little late. The flavor here is similar to the Ali Shan I had yesterday from Teavivre. Super milky and creamy. The smoothest oolong ever. It lingers like butter long after taking a sip. There are subtle qualities here that remind me of some of those green teas that have that creamed vegetable flavor, but only hints of that! Another savory oolong, but then there is a sweetness that lingers at the end of the sip. The smoothness with this tea is unbelievable.

Steep#2// just boiled // 1 1/2 to 2 min
As I was sipping the first cup, I was thinking how perfectly brewed it was, or maybe it was just a perfect oolong. Sadly, this cup steeped closer to two minutes and was a little on the tangy side. I really don’t like when a good oolong gets tangy/oversteeped! I think even maybe a minute steep would have been better for this cup, almost because the leaves are already unraveled. I don’t think two teaspoons is too many leaves because the first cup was absolutely delicious.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min
I didn’t really think to shorten the steep time more by this steep, sadly. Another cup of slightly too astringent. I can’t really taste anything past that but dream of the deliciousness of the first steep. That is too bad. By the first steep, this one might have been my favorite of the Teavivre oolongs that I’ve tried lately (other than the Iron Goddess anyway) but it is a very sensitive oolong. Hopefully I remember that for the next steep session. It’s odd it went from the smoothest oolong to the most sensitive about steep times. I have certainly been oolong spoiled lately though!

Note to self: a minute steep for each steep, first steep was perfect

Aroma: Fresh, toasty, vegetal, buttery
Liquor: Bright yellow with green undertone
Flavor: Fresh, grassy vegetal flavor with a touch of sweetness. Small hint of nuttiness.
Notes: Thank you teavivire for this free sample! I haven’t really gotten into oolongs that much, but this one was great! It was bold, but refreshing at the same time. The body felt very creamy which I enjoyed very much.