Taiwan Dong Ding (Tung Ting) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Kale, Mineral, Nuts, Spinach, Vegetal, Lemon, Nutty, Sweet Potatoes
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Sipdown, 124. I actually meant to grab a different sample pouch this morning, but my brain is somewhat addled from poor sleep last night, so this one it is. Another of my winnings from Teavivre's...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2035 tasting notes
  • “I am trying the very last sample of this tea brewing it with the mug style. I have a nice clear mug that I can see my leaves in. I am mostly waiting for the tea to cool down to a drinkable...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 540 tasting notes
  • “A lovely Oolong - sweet, and so delicate! The floral notes are very soft in the first cup. With subsequent infusions, the flavors do pick up a little bit, but they remain a little on the delicate...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “Thanks LiberTEAS for this sample. Let me start by saying this is a good tea to break me (or anyone else needing broken in I suppose) to green teas in that I've not had but a couple I enjoyed and I...” Read full tasting note
    tunes&tea 60 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Dongding, Naitou, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 20, 2014

Taste: Naturally sweet, fruity aroma and has strong charm

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Polyphenolic compounds in Dong Ding Oolong can prevent overall oxidise, and Purine alkaloids have the function of clear free radicals, so that it can have effect of preventing aging.

About Teavivre View company

Hooray, my free oolong samples (for review) from TeaVivre arrived in record time! Thanks to Angel, as always. Now, I have not been the biggest fan of green oolongs in the past, but as I have little experience with the tie guan yin and dong ding styles, I saw this as a great opportunity to try more of those types. The pellets here are yellow-green with brown tones, and they’re quite irregular in both size and shape. I was very surprised by the scent, it’s definitely very vegetal and reminds me of Japanese green teas. There’s also a hint of mineral.

The steeped liquid smells much more oolong-ish to me than the leaf – it’s creamy with some butter, fruit, and floral notes. Liquor is a very pale yellow with just a touch of green. Wow, I am so glad I chose these teas to try. I love this one! It’s definitely the most vegetal green oolong I’ve had, so much so that it’s almost mimicking a green tea. I would describe the vegetal flavor as raw greens such as spinach, kale, etc. It does have that thick, buttery, rich oolong texture that I’m familiar with. It’s somewhat grassy, but in a rich way as opposed to a rough one. There’s definitely some nutty influence here as well, but it’s a rich nut such as cashew or macadamia. Possibly the tiniest hint of floral in the aftertaste, but it’s light and unobtrusive (happily for me). The whole thing is rather rich, but at the same time there’s a crisp mineral note that makes me think of clear water from a stream.

Thanks so much to Angel for sending me samples of these tasty teas! :D

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Floral, Grass, Kale, Mineral, Nuts, Spinach, Vegetal

I’ve been working my way through the greenest-looking oolong samples in my possession, and next up was Teavivre’s Dong Ding from Taiwan. According to The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea, this oolong is closely related to TGY, and I have to agree. Legend has it that the Fujian province TGY came first, but no one seems to be sure.

The liquor is yellow with a tinge of green, and the gnarled knots unfurl completely by the second infusion to reveal leaf sets which look to consist of two leaves and a bud. The darkish green color of the infused leaves glistens , making them seem as though they were still alive—just plucked and in perfect condition.

The flavor is floral and creamy lemon—but only very subtly so. There is no citric tartness whatsoever here, and the texture is smooth. I drank four infusions—each batch becoming brighter yellow than the previous—before bidding farewell to these lovely leaves.

(7/30/14)

Flavors: Floral, Lemon

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
apt

Tieguanyin is any tea made with the cultivar Tieguanyin. Dong Ding is any tea grown on Dong Ding Mountain in Lugu Township. Most of them, this one included, use the Qing Xin cultivar, commonly used for high mountain oolongs.

sherapop

Thank you so much, apt! As you can see, I am a bona fide oolong gringo!

Another sample from the oolong sample set! I may or may not be trying some more teas from Teavivre this week in advance of the sale. I am definitely getting one those pu-erh cakes before they are gone entirely… it’s my favorite pu-erh! I used an entire sample pouch, two heaping teaspoons. The bright green tightly rolled bundles have the scent of creamed vegetables.

Steep #1 // five minutes after boiling // rinse // 1 min
I was going for boiling on this one, but I was a little late. The flavor here is similar to the Ali Shan I had yesterday from Teavivre. Super milky and creamy. The smoothest oolong ever. It lingers like butter long after taking a sip. There are subtle qualities here that remind me of some of those green teas that have that creamed vegetable flavor, but only hints of that! Another savory oolong, but then there is a sweetness that lingers at the end of the sip. The smoothness with this tea is unbelievable.

Steep#2// just boiled // 1 1/2 to 2 min
As I was sipping the first cup, I was thinking how perfectly brewed it was, or maybe it was just a perfect oolong. Sadly, this cup steeped closer to two minutes and was a little on the tangy side. I really don’t like when a good oolong gets tangy/oversteeped! I think even maybe a minute steep would have been better for this cup, almost because the leaves are already unraveled. I don’t think two teaspoons is too many leaves because the first cup was absolutely delicious.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min
I didn’t really think to shorten the steep time more by this steep, sadly. Another cup of slightly too astringent. I can’t really taste anything past that but dream of the deliciousness of the first steep. That is too bad. By the first steep, this one might have been my favorite of the Teavivre oolongs that I’ve tried lately (other than the Iron Goddess anyway) but it is a very sensitive oolong. Hopefully I remember that for the next steep session. It’s odd it went from the smoothest oolong to the most sensitive about steep times. I have certainly been oolong spoiled lately though!

Note to self: a minute steep for each steep, first steep was perfect

Aroma: Fresh, toasty, vegetal, buttery
Liquor: Bright yellow with green undertone
Flavor: Fresh, grassy vegetal flavor with a touch of sweetness. Small hint of nuttiness.
Notes: Thank you teavivire for this free sample! I haven’t really gotten into oolongs that much, but this one was great! It was bold, but refreshing at the same time. The body felt very creamy which I enjoyed very much.

Very sweet. The batch I have is more on the green side. So it has the bready/pastry flavor of DD along with some green and some floral tgy like flavor. I like it <3 . Its a different flavor than the medium DD I got from Taiwan tea crafts, but I can say that I like the both of them.

Light Oolong that is pale green in color and has a steamed spinach and a faint floral aroma. This tea has a little bit over everything in its flavor, I get some floral, some fruitiness, a little steamed spinach flavor, and a tinge of butteriness. None of the flavors dominate the tea’s taste, but I like the way they work together.

205 °F / 96 °C

Oh là là! This is a very nice oolong tea. Upon opening the pouch, the nose is presented with the scent of freshly mown grass, with a hint of spice. The tea liquors to a cloudless and radiant amber colour that is appealing to behold. The flavour is light, of delicate fruit and flowers. There is no hint of grassiness, which often mars lesser green oolongs, nor of astringency. Because this tea is so light, it benefits from gongfu steeping that brings out a sweet peachy flavour. This tea is refreshing and delightful: it could easily become a favourite.