Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Milk, Toasty, Creamy, Floral, Vegetal, Flowers, Mineral, Cream, Berries, Grass, Sweet, Butter
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I couldn't help it, I had to try this one right away in comparison. First off, the dry leaf smells much less strongly milky and creamy; it's more fresh and green. You can certainly tell which one...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1974 tasting notes
  • “I brewed this in my little gongfu pot today. I did 7 steeps: rinse,25s,35s,45s,55s,65s,75s,85s. It took longer for the creamy taste to develop using this method. And it seemed to be more...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes
  • “Another sipdown! (96) I find this one has a mild floral taste, a bit of grassiness and a lot of cream to it. It seems like this milk oolong is stronger some of the other unflavoured milk oolongs...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1699 tasting notes
  • “Went to bed last night before I had a chance to log this because my computer was acting up: I finally decided that this tea is just too good not to drink. It's just my last packet so I think I...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 526 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Alishan, Nantou, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 15, 2014
Taste: Natural unique milk and osmanthus aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Polyphenolic compounds in Jin Xuan Oolong can prevent overall oxidise, and Purine alkaloids have the function of clear free radicals, so that it can have effect of preventing aging.

About Teavivre View company

Another sample from my box from LiberTEAS! I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while so I was thrilled when I saw it in there. I have a sample of the flavored version of this in the mail because I wanted to try something extra milky, so it will be fun to compare it to this once it comes.

The dry leaves are a lovely green and smell so creamy, and they open beautifully—tons of whole, undamaged leaves unfurled! This tea is also a water hog, and the first steep sucked up nearly half of the water I put in there. I was a bit conflicted on what temp I should brew it at, some instructions say boiling but my sample said 170 so that’s what I did for the first steep! It was creamy, silky heaven—floral, sweet, and buttery. It’s a bit apricoty but not really fruity at all if that makes sense, and it’s floral without having a specific flower taste. Very mildly floral, but it’s there. There’s also a bit of grassiness going on, which I love! It’s not milky in an overt sense, but there’s a distinct smoothness here that I associate with milk oolongs. I think the milk part is more mouthfeel than taste.

For the second steep I tried hotter water (190) which I don’t think is ideal for this tea. There was no bitterness or astringency, but the creamy flavors fell away and the grassiness was pushed to the forefront. I liked it, but it didn’t seem much like a milk oolong—in fact this steep read as more of a green (i.e. less complex).

Steep 3 at 170 again was back to creamy goodness, with a more pronounced and distinct floral note than the first steep. It’s similar to the Mermaid’s Kiss, so it’s maybe magnolia? So far this is the most refreshing steep, and the grassy-milky-creamy-floral-apricoty notes seem the most balanced.

For the 4th steep I decided to get a bit crazy—you might have guessed from some of my previous notes that I like to experiment with my tea, and I certainly did something a bit risky with this cup! I wanted a bit more milky flavor, and I have these chewy milk candies from Japan sitting on my counter, so I chopped half of one up and put it in my IngenuiTEA as it brewed. It certainly looks milky now, and tastes more… well, milky! And sweet too, since there’s sugar in it now. It’s surprisingly natural tasting, probably because they are pretty small candies and I only used half of one.

I’m sure there are more steeps left in this so I’ll probably play around with it later tonight. Either way, given the reasonable pricing and how tasty this is I’ll definitely be adding it to the next order I place at Teavivre!

Buttery, creamy and floral aroma with a floral, mineral and light vegetal taste.
Smooth, fragrant, sweet and mouthwatering.
I did two resteeps. Very nice!

A review of Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea by Teavivre

Company: Teavivre
Tea Name: Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong
Tea Type/Varietal: Oolong
Region: Taiwan
Steeping Vessel/Amt. Leaf: cup/ loose leaf
Plucking Season:
Liquor Color: a very pale yellow with first steep and with longer steeps tea color is darker yellow/peach in color.
Leaf Characteristics: Tea leaves are very finely crunched into tiny little stones and dark in color and when steeped the leaves are fuller and green in color. I should say leaves are full leaves and not broken.

1. Steepings

1st Steeping:
Water temperature: 200 Fahrenheit
Time: 2 minutes

I steep this tea for two minutes in boiled water (after first rinsing the tea leaves and discarding of the water), I then pour more of the boiled water in my tea mugs with a cover on it. When cover is removed what is notice at first are the tea leaves since they are fully blown and the tea leaves are whole. It is amazing, these fine granules tea buds become full leaves when steep. Tea’s aroma is faint and light; nothing as striking as the leaves being fully evolved. I like the tea’s color although it is not bright. A paradox since it sounds as if I am not impressed as yet.

I taste the tea and thinking of its name milk oolong…and of something I had read about brewing oolong that are full-leaf; in that because they have such large, flat leaves, they can be steep for seven to ten minutes without turning bitter.

This much I can attest and have attested with the leaves being fuller. And the tea has not bitterness; it is very light/mild tea. This is something that I could drink throughout the day.

I am grateful for Teavivre for sending me more of these fine teas to sample. I am happy for the experience of sampling and reviewing of their teas. Thank you.

Thank you so much for this sample, Teavivre!

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness! I’m telling you, this is going on my shopping list right next to their Blueberry tea. Yuuuuum.

Okay, I’ll try to use better words >.s just something I noticed.

And oh! This tea opened up beautifully. Beautifully! Might pour the leaves into my steeper to just watch it go! Next packet will definitely be done in the glass gaiwan. And the fact that the temperature is foolproof only makes me love it all the more.

One packet in 10oz of water, 100C, 2 minutes in my Perfect Mug from DavidsTea.

The DJBooth

This may have to be on an order from Teavivre.

DaisyChubb

Wow my interest is really piqued – all of these Teavivre reviews popping up makes me really want to try!

aisling of tea

I am incredibly impressed with Teavivre. Their teas are amazing, their customer service is out of this world and can I just say that offering free samples to tea lovers is brilliant? It’s like a drug, the first taste is free, and now we’re all going back for more ;).

Tina S.

What is shipping like from them to Canada? Did you get nailed on customs?

Amariel

I’m curious what will be in my next shipment. I haven’t reviewed all of mine yet, so I don’t expect anymore til I do. I still have the Jasmine Pearls Green Tea and then that will be all of them. Hoping to try the milk oolong and some of the fruit ones too.

aisling of tea

Tina, the samples were provided to me by Teavivre, so there was no shipping cost, but as I understand it, they offer free shipping over $30. It took a little while to get here, a few weeks, but since it was sent from overseas, that’s pretty good! I didn’t seem to have any issues with customs.

Heather, when Angel contacted me, she asked if there were any I’d be interested in trying, and I let her know I’d be interested in the milk oolong and the blueberry fruit tea along with the TKY with honey. So it never hurts to ask?

Amariel

I didn’t even notice the blueberry one when I looked on the site before when she sent to me…I should take another look.

I’ve been wanting to try this one for a long time. Pretty much since I discovered milk oolongs by accident with the American Tea Room’s milk oolong. The bar was set crazy high with ATR’s version and this one doesn’t quite match it, although it is very enjoyable. Thanks Alysha for sending it my way. I’ll definitely be finishing off the whole bag!

Dinosara

FYI, ATR’s oolong is unlike other milk oolongs because it is actually some crazy Tie Guan Yin variety, not a Jin Xuan like most milk oolongs. Just a warning that you may continue to be disappointed! I had to divorce my expectations from that milk oolong and after that I enjoyed other ones much more.

TastyBrew

Interesting! Good to know! It probably wasn’t a good one to start with as no other can match it. I actually like della Terra’s a lot too. It’s super buttery.

There was some mix-up with Teavivre’s manufacturer because the sample I received was “flavoured” when Teavivre’s intention was to sell the unflavoured stuff. (Old notes have been deleted because they don’t apply to the same tea) Anyway, I ordered it and received the proper natural Jin Xuan tea. So it’s like I am getting to know this tea for the first time now! ;)

First steep is slightly floral, fruity (apricot), sweet, and vegetal. There is also a slight creamy aftertaste. Seems like a nice balanced tea, nothing seems out of place.

Third to third steeps were consistent, with the third being a bit sweeter and fruity.

Taking a break and sniffing inside the teapot, the leaves do smell sweet and almost creamy. But it’s not a heavy cream scent. It also made me think of apricots

Four to fifth were more vegetal and less fruity. I kept resteeping but eventually stopped on the ninth when I could hardly taste any tea.

If you are looking for a flavoured Milk Oolong with heavy cream and fruit flavour, try somewhere else. Apparently that stuff is not natural and is flavoured to achieve that result. However this Jin Xuan Milk Oolong tastes very natural, and for me is a lovely tea with a good price. Sometimes less expensive oolongs do not satisfy my palate, but this one is tasty and cheap enough that I can drink it very often in my yixing teapot.

The leaves are quite big, and the 1 1/2 tsp I put in looks about right.
125ml yixing teapot, 1 1/2 tsp, (rinse, 10s, 15s, +10s resteeps)

Boiling
K S

Curious, how did you find out you had the wrong stuff?

Dorothy

I confirmed it with Angel, and besides that flavoured Milk Oolong has a very very different taste from natural Jin Xuan “Milk Oolong”.

I have to thank Teavivre for this very generous sample! I asked for this tea specifically and I’m so glad I did! The dry leaves are beautiful and fragrant. Today I’ve been mostly sleeping as I guess I am coming down with something; so I’m pretty lucky to even be awake for this!
The liquor is so fresh! It does have that kind of Botan candy flavor, some vegetal sides, some fruit (easily peachy) and just is wonderful. This was my first experience with milk oolong and I think it has risen to the #1 spot! :) I’m very impressed by this tea’s ability with flavor. It really stands out and is not weak at all.
I could easily see myself recommending this to oolong lovers and new commers to more traditional teas alike; excellent!
edit I’m now on my 3rd infusion of this tea. The flavor on this is very long lasting. I did this infusion at boiling/2min and it’s still very robust and I am going to keep going! I’m noticing that this tea is especially fruity alongside the milky-ness. This adds a lot to the flavor profile. love
final opinion: after 5 infusions (semi Western style here) at 2-3min/boiling/extra leaf 7oz ceramic teapot
Very solid, almost sweet, peachy, milky awesomeness! This also has HUGE leaves!

I apologize for the abbreviated tasting note on this one, but it was two days ago and I wasn’t terribly impressed. It’s a good green oolong mind you, slightly floral (my friend had a hard time placing it, not orchid, not jasmine, oramanthus, I doubt she’s had oramanthus but I have once), a slight cooling note at the end but creamy? no. buttery? no. I’ve had two other unflavored milk oolongs from Taiwan and this I’m afraid just didn’t measure up, which is unfortunate as I had high hopes for this. Now I suppose there could have been brewing factors or that the sample I got passed on from Michelle, was older or something, but it simply didn’t resemble the other milk oolongs in anyway. ::shrug:: Thanks for letting me try it Michelle

This was another of the samples that Angel from Teavivre sent along (thank you!).
I toyed with the directions a tiny bit. I did use boiling water for this oolong (I usually use just under boiling) and steeped it for 2 minutes. The leaves didn’t smell too distinctive – mostly just very vegetal and… chalky perhaps? In a good way :)
Brewed up though this smells mind blowing. Buttered greens. I freaking love the scent of oolongs.
This is very thick with a little bit of astringency. I can sense the creaminess here… it goes nicely with the buttery flavor.
A few seconds go by… ummm yum. It is doing the “oolong throat coating” that I love. Oh! And a surprise! There is a salty sweet aftertaste at the finish with… I don’t even know what the flavor is. Something great and “back of the throat sweet”, if you know what I mean. Artichokes maybe, if artichokes were actually sweet (and lightly salty).
This is great – it keeps unfolding. Not super complex, but super tasty :)

Thank you Angel at Teavivre for the sample. I’ve had a few milk oolongs before. But this one was a little different, more milky and that is awesome. There is a sweet note to this tea too. Really all kinds of great flavors are coming out of this tea and I really love it! So much that I made a small pot of it for myself. I’m hoping to get another infusion out of it later tonight!

After sitting with it and enjoying it a little more (MIL was over offering her advice ‘sigh’) it has helped to calm me down a bit and center myself so I can enjoy the rest of my day.

ashmanra

Smile, nod, know that they mean well, absorb the good, and don’t worry about the rest! :)

The Purrfect Cup

That is just what I did. :) Now we’ve been invited out to what I like to call guilt dinner (meaning she realized she overstepped). ;)