Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Mineral, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final *early morning* Harpy HoliDaze...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2498 tasting notes
  • “My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It's just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I'd be able to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1412 tasting notes
  • “thank you *cavocorax* for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There's something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4044 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 02, 2013

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final early morning Harpy HoliDaze gig of the year. When I was setting up to play in the lobby of the building I spilled my tea.
(;_;)
I cleaned up the mess, played for awhile, & one of the catering people offered to fill my go mug with hot water. Great! He filled it, I dropped in some of Mandala’s blooming black, only to discover that the ‘hot’ water was lukewarm.
:p
I finished the gig, came home & brewed a quick cup of Wu Liang Hong Mao Feng (Yunnan Sourcing), drove to Maryville University for my student’s jury. I had a few sips along the way, & was really looking forward to enjoying that tea, only to discover when I arrived that I had somehow spilled the whole cup in my car.
This has been a long, mostly tea-less day..sigh…
This Da Hong Pao is my reward! Such a lovely oolong, peachy, roasty, so satisfying.
Thank you Angel of Teavivre for saving my day! :)

stop drinking the same teas as me! lol

Terri HarpLady

Hey, I can’t help it if we both have good taste!
:D

Please keep things friendly and .

My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are doing a few extra days of schoolwork because she is going to Northern Ireland, Ireland, and England next month!

With sweet food, I like a contrasting tea. Nothing astringent, mind you, just something to “cut the sweet” and clear the palate so that dessert is delicious instead of cloying. One of my favorite teas to serve with really sweet food is Teavivre’s Fengqing Black Dragon Pearls. My friend had those recently at my house, so I thought we would drink this so she could try something new.

Oh, what can I say? I really love Da Hong Pao teas. One of the first ones I tried (by a different company) was anemic and uninteresting. This one has the fresh walnut flavor, the woodiness, the hints of unsweetened cocoa, that I love in DHP. The dry leaf in particular smells like a chocolate flavored tea! Steeped, the chocolate becomes a hint of cocoa and the nutty flavor comes to the forefront.

I am on the second steep and will be making at least one more with this even though I am making it western style and by the pot. So good!

Bonnie

Someday, every steepster person is going to show up on your door step at the same time for tea and dessert!

ashmanra

Come on, everybody! I would love it! :)

TeaVivre

Spending some time together with best friend can relax our body and mood. Meanwhile , enjoying a cup of tea and dessert can bring a good mood, how pleasant it is.

Please keep things friendly and .

I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It’s just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I’d be able to experiment more with temperature and steep time to play upon different notes.

It’s too bad you can’t order 50g packs from Teavivre! I think it would take me at least a year to get through 100g of an oolong…

Lala

This is one of my favorites too.

Cavocorax

:) Glad I picked a good one. It was tough for me because I don’t drink oolongs often, and had 9 different samples to compare – that’s hard to keep straight in your head!

it’s called splitting orders silly!

Amariel

I like the Oriental Beauty, just a little bit more, but both are yummy.

TeaVivre

Sorry for the inconvenience to you,we will consider your suggestion.

Cavocorax

Heather – I’m really enjoying the Oriental Beauty right now too! I only have the one sample of it, but can see that I would want more!

And thanks Angel! I just know personally that I would rather buy 50g of two teas that I’m unsure of, than just pick one at 100g and hope for the best! I realize that complicates things for you with added packaging etc, so I’m not expecting you to change anything. :)

TeaVivre

Thank you for tell me your opinion, i also understand it’s convenient for you to pick 50g . And thanks for your understanding.

Please keep things friendly and .

thank you cavocorax for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There’s something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in dry form. However, as a brewed tea, the flavour that i don’t like in roasty oolong isn’t present. There’s an earthiness to this that is rather pleasant and if nothing else, this is a smooth brew.

Anna

Okay, I have a very ignorant question – how does a roasty oolong and a houjicha differ in taste?

i’ve only had a couple houjicha…and it’s terrible since my automatic response would be… roasty oolongs have that oolongy taste and houjicha doesn’t. lol not so helpful. i have consistently enjoyed the houjicha that i’ve had, while oolongs are hit and miss with me.

Hopefully someone else will have a better description than me lol

Anna

Haha, aww, Sil – thanks, though! You should just start calling it Eww-long.

i usually say it’s oo-wrong for me :) that being said there ARE a few oolongs that i’ve really enjoyed. so i haven’t crossed them off the list entirely :)

Anna

I won’t cross anything off the list until I’ve tried all the teas.

Please keep things friendly and .

You may consider this a continuation of the post I wrote a couple of days ago, and which you can find here http://steepster.com/Angrboda/posts/106070

If you can’t be bothered to go link hopping, I wrote about this tea in multiple (4) short steeps but didn’t come to a rating conclusion because I found the four infusions so vastly different from one another. Some had elements that I really like and some had elements that I dislike, so it was all rather confusing. Over all though, I found it a bit wan and as though there was something missing.

This time I’m having it steeped western style. This is what I mostly do, so I have more of an idea of what to expect here. In my experience western style usually yilds a darker and deeper sort of infusion, where gong fu is more about picking up on smaller nuances. Compare it to impressionist paintings. Western style gives you the big picture and only that, where gong fu allows you to step closer, inspect the technique used in painting and the combination of colours and then piece it all together into a whole yourself. I suppose that makes gong fu an exersize in tea tasting, where western style becomes more like having the answer sheet handed to you.

This in turn leads me to wonder if the reason I tend to prefer western style may in fact be due to being lazy.

Anyway, I have made it western style today, and I do indeed now sit here with a considerably darker and deeper sort of brew.

This time I’m getting none of the floralness that I had objections about in the earlier attempt. The aroma is all bready and toasty, and with a certain amount of autumnal notes to it. Like the smell of leaves on the ground in the forest in mid-autumn. A bit earthy and a bit wooden as well. Mostly though, it’s toast and freshly baked goods I’m getting. If I really really concentrate, there is a mild chocolate note in it as well, but I can only find it if I’m searching for it and then only if I hold my nose in a very specific distance to the cup. I suspect it’s some of the toastiness that gets transformed under these circumstances.

The flavour is all dark and earthy now, and there’s a nutty top note on it. It’s like I first get the basic earthiness and then the nutty note pops up at the top of the mouth and works its way downwards to the tongue. A bit wooden, but mostly nutty. And lets face it, most nuts are kind of woody in flavour anyway.

As with the aroma, I’m getting a lot of toasty notes in along with the nuts, but it no longer gives me any baked goods associations. Toasted nuts, perhaps? That makes sense, actually.

There’s an intersting difference between my gong fu results and my western style results. Gong fu gave me the barest hints of caramel, but in this round the barest hints of caramel has turned into strong hints of chocolate. Apart from both of those being sweet flavoured, they’re not really related flavours at all. I think it’s the deeper feeling to the western style flavour that does it.

As it cools a little, the nutty notes take over and it’s a very toasty and nutty sort of profile. It tastes a bit like it should be a little astringent, like many nuts are, but when you pay attention to that, you find to your surprise that it’s not astringent at all.

The aftertaste is woody and nutty as well, and unlike the gong fu session, here it’s very long, prickling on my tongue and palate long after I’ve swallowed. I always appreciate a good long aftertaste IF it’s a pleasant one (green and white teas for me often aren’t). It’s like it makes the cup last longer.

Maybe it makes me rather a philistine or perhaps I’m just too bone idle to really appreciate gong fu, but I do prefer western style brewings most of the time. Gong fu is fun to experiment with, but for me that’s all it is. I like the depth that western style provides.

kOmpir

I like the way you compared Western and Gong Fu methods. Also, very exhaustive note too.

Hannerz

I love how thorough your notes are, and you manage it without being dry. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent tea log!

Angrboda

Thanks, all. :)

Please keep things friendly and .

Thank you very much Teavivre and Angel for this lovely sample.
The dry leaf smells roasty, sweet and chocolately. Yumm!
I originally shared this tea with a friend after my genetics final last month and really enjoyed it. We got about 16 steeps out of it between the two of us. =)
Tonight I figured I would be up late researching, and therefore.. why not break into a new big red robe packet and really get to know it.
1st steep, 5 seconds: with rinse.. To be honest, I’m not sure how much leaf is here (in grams).. so I am hoping the gongfu brewing style will be okay. If not.. I guess I will have to switch it to grandpa. I am really enjoying huffing the leaves as I wait for the water to come to a boil though. Such a deep scent. Alright! Now for the taste/smell of brewed BRR- it smells floral. hm. Taste is roasted… with notes of coco maybe? There is definitely a sweet aspect to it. It reminds me of agave syrup. Nutty too.. perhaps hazelnut. Or chestnuts. Yes chestnuts due to the creaminess when it cools. YUM!

Other notes to continue tomorrow… BED TIME!

Okay I cheated, I steeped a second time and it cooled right off. The result? A very sweet delightful cup. I think this tea would be absolutely amazing as an iced tea. I mean holy cow sweet!

To finish this review this morning.. I woke myself up with another lovely cuppa this. I had more than one extra steep lastnight (try 3 more) so this would be the 4th steep of the leaves. The liquor is still sweet and roasty with a chestnut note. Very delicious.

Edit:.. alright, I’m still drinking this tea. It’s all I’ve been drinking today and I’m on my 11th steep and it’s still sweet and flavourful. This tea is amazing! Bumping the rating up a bit more..

Fjellrev

I can’t believe you got sixteen steeps out of this. The most I’ve ever bothered with a tea was four. :/

But it sounds heavenly! I seriously need to make a Teavivre order sometime. Their stuff sounds classy.

Lynne-tea

I know I was shocked it was still giving! And giving in folds.. not one steep near the end was weak – they were all delicious. I was doing the gongfu style brewing so that helps with stretching out the tea and the steeping potentials =)
I would highly recommend Teavivre =) Great prices for the quality.. and free shipping starts at $30. Pretty darn good if you ask me!

TeaVivre

It is 5 gram for a sample, also I am so glad you enjoyed this one!

Lynne-tea

Perfect! Thank you very much for clarifying that for me.. And for the wonderful sample.

Please keep things friendly and .

A very floral and hash like flavored oolong. Hey my parents where hippies and I grew up in the 70’s don’t judge me lol
A slight sweetness with a drying sensation on the throat in the after taste.
A very good oolong but not one of my all time favorites from Teavivre.

TeaBrat

you’re supposed to drink it, not smoke it. ;-)

Azzrian

Ohhhhh well there may be my problem LOL

ashmanra

LOL! You two! And here I was puzzling over whether you meant the tea tasted like hash browns at first, until I saw the hippie part.

Azzrian

Yeah I figured that is what people would think so I aded the hippie part in just to clarify :) Seriously though it does have that flavor! Dong Ding does as well to me anyway. It taste like my dad always smelled! And our house, and our car, and…..

Lynne-tea

Hahaha! Love it. Reminiscent of some of my family too.

Azzrian

I think there is at least one in every family :) Not that there is anything wrong with that ….

Absolutely not =)

Lindsay

Hash-flavored tea sounds too weird, lol

Azzrian

Well I did enjoy it though :)

Please keep things friendly and .

I am currently enjoying my third and fourth infusion of this tea. It’s really quite lovely. It started out with a distinct mineral-y/charcoal-y kind of taste, with notes of flower in the background, and a warm, toasty kind of overtone. Now, I notice some of the mineral/charcoal notes have begun to wane, and a woodsy note seems to have taken their place, and this melds wonderfully with the warmth of the roasty-toasty taste. The floral notes have begun to reveal a honey-esque tone that is quite lovely.

I like that this tea is not overly floral, offers hints of fruit (I notice a slight peach-y undertone), and that it has such a warmth to it, especially since I’m kind of dealing with COLD bones because I’ve been working off and on in my studio, and dang it’s cold in there! I come in here to warm up with a cup of tea, and this tea does the trick.

Lovely!

Please keep things friendly and .

OOOfffffph! I am so bloated from last night Thanksgiving dinner. Though weirdly, I’m still hungry for it as it tasted so good. Time to oolong it out of me!

Hmmm. I am haunted by an excellent Big Red Robe Oolong I had at the LA tea festival that blew my feathers off. Sadly, this oolong didn’t blow me away like that one did. However, this Teavivre oolong is still pretty good and an interesting round of tea. Great roasty, nutty, oak, golden flavors with later steepings of rocky minerals and cream.

Full review at my teablog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/da-hong-pao-oolong-teavivre-tea-review/
Octopus substitute!

Boiling
TEArender

Hey tea frind, I have heard of several da hong paos, the lot of them are each different. Then there’s always da hong pao yi chang xiang jiao. ;)

Please keep things friendly and .

Looking at the Teavivre site, I’ve realized that I may have steeped many of their teas wrong. Sometimes it calls for 2-4 teaspoons. Usually the sample packages mention the time and temp but not the teaspoons. And back when I got these samples, I only had the dipper infusers that would only hold one teaspoon anyway. So if I have any of the previous samples from Teavivre left, I plan on steeping them properly soon!

This one actually calls for 3-4 teaspoons and I must have only used one back in the day. But from what I remember, the flavor isn’t much different now. It’s weird that some of Teavivre’s black teas are supposed to be steeped at 185 degrees but some of the oolongs are boiled. This one is a Fujian oolong, so I associate this with a charcoal flavor. And this one has that flavor the most, rather than a floral or a vegetal oolong. But I’ve had another Fujian oolong before and it literally was like drinking a cup of charcoal. This one is much more delicate, as most of Teavivre’s teas are. I prefer my fruity, floral and vegetal oolongs to dark oolongs, but this one isn’t so dark so I don’t mind it!

First steep: boiled: 45 seconds Second steep: boiled: 1 min 30

looseTman

Tea Sipper, If you haven’t already found their complete brewing guide, it can be found here: http://www.teavivre.com/info/recommend-brewing-guide/

Tea Sipper

oh nice! I didn’t see that. I was just searching each teas page on Teavivre whenever I needed. thanks!

looseTman