Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Astringent, Chocolate, Mineral, Spinach, Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Roasted, Seaweed, Stonefruits, Smoked, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet, Earth, Smoke, Floral, Tobacco, Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Grain, Wood, Mushrooms, Roasted Barley, Honey, Yeasty, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: April 12, 2015

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

Oh, I like this tea. But for me it is not floral, it is sweet and fruity. I can’t stop thinking about the tasty cake with apricot pieces in it while drinking and smelling this oolong. Very nice for everyday drinking and it is great for black tea lovers as well.

This is my first time tasting a Wuyi and it was fairly obvious even to me how different it was from the other oolongs I’ve tasted.

I did 7 steeps. The first was 15 seconds, the second was 10, the third was 15 and after that they got longer. The 6th and 7th steep were 30 and 60 seconds and neither was especially satisfying but they weren’t horrible. I ended up heating fresh water after then 4th steep.

The first steep was a bit astringent though not bitter. It dried my mouth out a bit. The second was also a bit astringent but the 3rd and 4th were quite smooth without any astringency.

The dry leaf smelled somewhat chocolatey, I guess from the way the tea was roasted but this was almost undetectable in the tea. Even in the wet leaf it was not strong. The wet leaf mostly had the spinachy vegetal smell but not as strong as other oolongs I’ve tried.

That “rock” taste was definitely present. It wasn’t unpleasant but it was an unusual flavor to my palate.

Overall, perhaps because I’ve been tasting many new teas over the last few weeks, this was the tea from which I got the most complexity in taste and aroma. I can’t say if it was the tea or me just starting to become more familiar with the scent and taste vocabulary of tea. Whatever the cause, it was fun to experience.

I’m not sure I’d want to drink this every day but I definitely enjoyed it and could see myself ordering more of it after the samples run out.

Flavors: Astringent, Chocolate, Mineral, Spinach

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 75 ML

Dry leaves: sudden bright scent of passionfruit / mango.

1st infusion: (25s)
Leaves smell like a complex mixture including bitter chocolate and seaweed. Tea has that roasty, mineral flavour I associate with Fujian oolongs. Drinking this with toasted leftover dimsum now and it pairs alright with the oily sweetness, imparting chocolatey tones.

2nd infusion: (30s)
Liquor is still a beautiful reddish bronze. Flavour is mellowing out from the initial infusion’s harshness. This is growing on me.

3rd – 5th infusions:
More of the same goodness, the colour shows no sign of letting up while the flavour gradually lightens.

6th infusion: (120s)
The leaves are left with a fruity aroma like grape or plum. The liquor has finally turned a coppery amber colour, and tastes a very pleasing, mild flavour with the bitterness all gone––mineral and roasty with fruit aftertaste. Really like this infusion.

Flavors: Cocoa, Dark Chocolate, Mineral, Roasted, Seaweed, Stonefruits

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Mild smokey, good tea, smooth and sweet!

Flavors: Smoked, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 45 sec 10 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

I received a sample of this tea from Angel at TeaVivre. Thank you!

This sample is about a year old. While the nugget was cooking it completely made me disinterested in drinking any tea, or hot drinks for that matter. So this one sat. I am so sad that it sat as long as it did, because it was so delicious. I spent the weekend at a friends house this weekend. Her and I took on our 5 kids all under the age of 3. It was intense, but we managed some down time to enjoy tea in the evenings. She is a oolong fan and so I brought this sample packet along to have her try. I want to sit with this one again this week to get a better feel for it, but it was remember able and made me want to buy copious amounts of this tea to make sure I never run out.

Salty, hay and mineral aroma from the brewed tea.

Savoury roasted flavour. Light matcha-like note. Medium mouth-feel.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

This is the second Da Hong Pao I’ve had. I thought I’d order a sample in my last Teavivre order and see what they have to offer. Teavivre teas are usually good quality, and I wasn’t disappointed.

This tea is roasty, with a delicious sugarcane sweetness. Yum! It’s smooth, warming and cozy. I didn’t get much of a fruity note, like I did in the other Da Hong Pao I tried, but it was still nice, maybe just a little less complex.

Oh no, it’s happened :( :( I have found a tea sample from a lovely Steepster, and I have no clue who it’s from. Well, that’s slightly untrue – it’s probably from Sil, and might be via Raritea, but I’m not sure. That’s my best guess though, since I don’t think I’ve received any of this from Teavivre previously.

Anyhow! I need to brew up the second half of the sample more carefully, but YUM! What a delicious tea. I just love roasty oolongs so incredibly much, and this is a great example. Makes me want to grab all my Verdant ones and start brewing them up soon, too (that’s not a half-bad idea, actually. I’ve been craving straight tea recently, more than flavoured.) Can’t write much detail here, other than this was amazingly delicious and I want more :D I’m sure the resteep was good too, though I’ve been brewing up so many things lately that I can’t tell one from another, and mix re-steeps together if they smell compatible enough. Haha.

i think it’s ok since by the time you get to our samples it’s like a year later and we’ve all forgotten we ever gave you any :P

Yeeaaahhhhh :P

tell me it’s not true! hahaha

I’m trying! Really I am!

I have been committing tea sacrilege with this wonderful tea…but you know, it really works for me. I’m so busy at work that I can’t make myself a proper cup, so decided to start doing ‘grandpa style’ until I find my new work groove.

I have discovered that I really like grandpa style with roasted oolongs, and will probably continue to drink them in this manner. I really like the mineral, salty notes that seem to come through when I brew in this manner. And when the flavour starts to become weak I just add a few more leaves.

I expected to find some strong bitter notes with grandpa style and oolong, but I didn’t get that. This tea holds up really well to this style of brewing. When i’m out, I will definitely see if my other roasted oolongs do as well.

Now that I’ve gone grandpa style, I probably won’t go back (at least with this tea)….so easy, convenient and ridiculously delicious.

grandpa style?

From Marshaln…throw small amount of leaves in cup/mug of choice, add H2O and keep adding H2O to same leaves until flavor weak or gone. I can usually top up 3 or 4 times before adding a FEW (3 to 5 leaves) more leaves.

I’ve yet to try that method, but just by the sounds of it, doing roast oolongs that way sounds great!

I love it :) ! No gongfu, found my happy place :D

I love grandpa style for oolongs.

Here I am to enjoy a big red Robe. Its leaves are long and have an incredible volume .

The smell is forested, mostly wooded . This type of tea is very famous and is even extremely famous but I read anything and everything about it ( picked by monkeys wearing red dresses in honor of the emperor, tea trees dressed with a red dress honoured by the emperor to thank this tea to have healed the mother of the Emperor … ) I cannot tell why this tea is called like that but it grows well on Mount Wuyi and that’s the point.

A translucent orange liquor is obtained.

A the first sip , my olfactory impression is confirmed , I have the impression of riding into a forest : moss, mushrooms , bark, wet earth , nuts … that’s what this tea reminds me immediately.

Mushroom is for me the most prominent flavour followed by wood. This tea also has a mineral note , some rock-y taste , which must be explained by its origin.

Some cocoa notes are also present . The texture is very light, very refreshing , and while cooling I begin to detect a little fruity note .

This tea is complex. I imagine it must be very suitable for Gong Fu Cha session and reveals incredible flavors in short, multiple infusions. But … it is already very good Western style .

You can see pics of my session with this roasted Oolong here : http://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/12/31/fujian-da-hong-pao-big-red-robe-wuyi-rock-oolong-tea-teavivre/