Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Honey, Mineral, Smoke, Tobacco, Yeasty, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final *early morning* Harpy HoliDaze...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1797 tasting notes
  • “I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It's just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I'd be able to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1630 tasting notes
  • “thank you *cavocorax* for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There's something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 29, 2014

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

Oh, I like this tea. But for me it is not floral, it is sweet and fruity. I can’t stop thinking about the tasty cake with apricot pieces in it while drinking and smelling this oolong. Very nice for everyday drinking and it is great for black tea lovers as well.

I just realized I had one sample left from TeaVivre’s very generous offerings that I have not reviewed yet. Since it was time for morning tea, I figured it was time to get to it!

Method: 3.3 g, 3 oz, 205 degrees, 15-20-25 seconds, ru kilk gaiwan

Aroma: Roasty scents, with some hints of floral and fruit, and also a mineral note

Flavor: Toasty yum. This tea has some pretty floral notes, but the main show is the roasty toasty flavor. There’s also a bit of sweetness and a slightly dry finish. This has a very pleasant aftertaste that really stays awhile. I blended the first 3 steeps into a mug and I’m having some difficulty not just chugging it all at once! Thanks to TeaVivre for the sample!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Thank you, Teavivre, for a sample!

Used with the gongfu method. 2 one-second rinses. Steeping times were 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45.

The dry leaf aroma smells of honey and and pineapple. The wet leaf aroma, which sits very well in the bowl, has notes of a mixed juice, strawberries, and – this is an odd one – Juicy Juice gum (I haven’t had that since I was a kid). The liquor is pale gold, clear and clean, and thick in texture. After going months without having a Wuyi oolong, this one was refreshing to drink. I love me dark oolong any time of the year, especially when it is complex. A mineral note was prominent in the first infusion. Thereafter, a fruity sweetness took hold and was consistent throughout the rest of the session. For one of the middle infusions, sweet evolved to slight tart, prickling my tongue. At the end, when the flavor began to give, the sweetness faded, and a roasted quality took over.

Boiling 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

SSTTB: Pick #22

So, when I said earlier this evening that the Hot Apple Ginger Toddy was the last one from The Box I guess I lied, inadvertently though; I totally forgot that I had this one too last minute while packing it up and that I’d yet to log it.

However, going through my notes just now reminded me of it!

Here’s what I jotted down while drinking it:

- WTF? It’s roasty like a Hojicha?
- Some serious malt/bread notes
- Floral Endsip/aftertaste
- Very weird as an oolong; pleasant enough

Obviously it was maybe a little forgettable overall given that I’d totally forgotten I even had it; but now that I’m thinking back on it now I am doing so fondly. It was really good in the moment and while I was really thrown by the flavours in it I thought it was very comforting.

Not something I’d need to drink again, though, I think.

I tend to forget I have this in the cupboard…well I just drank the last 7g of it so now it’s gone…

This is the roasted type, bolder in flavour with so many different notes and nuances, it’s not possible to identify them all in one session.

I don’t drink it often enough, too bad cause it is worth the attention. It smells like roasted chestnut and coffee, but strangely, the first thing I get in the first steep is a strong floral mouthfeel.

Then, it’s a party in the mouth. I mean fourth of july with fireworks kind of party. Baked goods, spicy nutmeg, peach, apricot, charcoal. It’s complex but so easy to drink.

Someone else suggested coconut to me from another Big Red Robe tea. As much as I want to get coconut, it’s just missing in action in this one. Too bad, I do love me some coconut!

On the fifth steep I just let it cool.

It’s juicy and very refreshing on this very hot summer night. It gets winey, like a bright citrusy and oaky white wine.

I really like this and would definitely consider replenish my cupboard with some Da Hong Pao soon.

Another great tea from Teavivre!

MzPriss

I love a roasty BRR. I would be happy to NOT get coconut though. I’m glad you got a mouth party out of it :)

Sarsonator

Super! I have a BRR from Verdant that I just love. Haven’t tried Teavivre’s yet. I’m definitely a fan of this style!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, don’t you love coconut MzPriss? I love it but not added to a tea blend, tastes and smells funny. But i’ll take natural coconut notes any day.

Sarsonator, i looked for my verdant’s BRR for 15 minutes last night and gave up…I was sure I still had some. It must be all that stash reorganization. It’s like laundry, you loose a sock once in a while, lol.

Sarsonator

LOL. It’ll turn up when you least expect it!

MzPriss

I love real coconut – but I don’t like it in tea and I despise coconut “flavoring” – it makes me think of that icky coconut aroma that goes in things like those air fresheners people hang in their cars or cheap potpourri. Adore real coconut though. I use a lot of coconut milk, coconut/almond milk and coconut oil/butter.

Terri HarpLady

I have a small collection of BBRs that I need to get back to drinking. I really do love them, so roasts, so nuanced, so tasty!

apt

best yancha is lao cong shui xian

On a whim I decided to try something daring! Ben was using the Xbox and I wanted to play Minecraft, so I borrowed his much superior computer to play the demo. It was the most fun I have had in ages, I died so much because I was not used to the controls (also using a laptop mouse instead of a real mouse) but it was a thing of beauty. I might have happy cried a little. The good news is Ben said if I buy myself a new mouse and a PC copy of Minecraft I can borrow his computer while he is at work!

Today’s tea is the famous Da Hong Pao Wuyi Rock Oolong from Teavivre. Hailing from the Wuyi Mountains in Fujian, China, this Rock Oolong (or Yancha) has an interesting legend about it. During the Ming Dynasty, the Emperor’s mother took ill, luckily a tea she sipped cured her and in thanks the Emperor sent great red robes to clothe the original bushes that grew the tea, hint the name Big Red Robe. The aroma of this tea is a blend of sweetness and smoke. There are notes of baking bread, honey, tobacco, coal, and a finishing hint of cocoa. It is quite a fascinating aroma that is well balanced.

Into the gaiwan the curly leaves go! After a fairly short steep, the aroma of the wet leaves is as complex as the dry leaves with notes of charcoal, baking bread, honey, and touch of floral. I should note that the floral is like orchids near the end of their life, heady sweet with just the faintest touch of decay. It is not an unpleasant smell, it is just very distinct to flowers which are about to fall off the stem. The poured off liquid is a blend of sweet honey, charcoal, and a finish of tobacco.

The first steep starts out sharply sweet, like honey coated tobacco with a strong note of coal. There is a great blend of pine wood and smoke at the middle of the sip, the titular midtaste, after the initial sharpness fades I realized that the mouthfeel was quite smooth. The finish is sweet with an aftertaste of cherry and the faintest hint of smoke.

For the second steep, the first thing I notice about the aroma is that it is only barely smoky, like a distant fire and not a piece of charcoal, it is more floral and much sweeter, like honey and flower nectar. The taste starts out very sweet and smooth, with strong notes of raw honey and flowers, specifically orchids and a touch of honeysuckle. There is a finish of cherries and smoke, just like the first steep.

Th aroma of the third steep has taken a different route from its previous forms, this time it is faintly fruity sweet with a distinct mineral and spring water aroma. The taste also has a strong mineral presence, it tastes like drinking straight from a spring (having done this many times, I highly recommend it) very clean and very mineraly. This fades to a gentle floral taste and a honey sweetness that lingers.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/teavivre-da-hong-pao-big-red-robe-wuyi.html

Flavors: Honey, Mineral, Smoke, Tobacco, Yeasty

Aroma: Toast, chocolate, carmel
Liquor Color: Light amber
Liquor Flavor: Light astringency, toast, caramel maltiness, after multiple steepings, the light floral taste comes out along with something fruity. Very rich in flavor, lots of different flavors shine through with each sip.
Notes: Thank you teavivre for this free sample! Overall, I’m not a huge fan of roasted oolongs, but this one was pretty good! Upon opening the bag, I felt like I was standing in a bakery. So toasty and chocolately. Yumm. I loved the multiple flavors that hit my tongue one by one. Solid tea.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

I’ve been trying to use weekends as an opportunity to try more teas gong fu style. I made this one in my favorite new teapot/gaiwan. I picked it up for the equivalent of $5 US in a cheap home goods shop in Taipei. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It’s shaped like a gaiwan, but it has a handle and a small spout with built-in filter. I can’t decide if it’s a gaiwan-shaped teapot or a modernized gaiwan. Either way, it’s pretty and convenient and I love it.

I used approx. 3 tsp in 4 oz of water. All steeps used boiling water. I gave the leaves a 5-second initial rinse.

first steep – 1 minute
The scent here is roasty honey goodness. The flavor is toast with a hint of sweetness. There’s a dry mouthfeel after the sip, which works well with the toastiness.

second steep – 1 minute 30 seconds
This came out weaker than the first steep. Other than being weaker, it smells and tastes exactly the same.

third steep – 2 minutes
This straight up tastes like toast with honey. Mmmm.

fourth steep – 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Now it tastes like honey with toast! I love how the notes stay basically the same but their prominence changes.

This tea is great for a chilly night or rainy day. There’s a warmth here that goes beyond the temperature of the brew. It’s comforting without feeling decadent. Just don’t forget to eat actual food at some point!

I anticipate many infusions will be able to happen with this one, which is my favorite thing about oolongs and pu erhs. Even if they are a bit pricier at first, the quality can’t be beat, you get a bajillion cups out of a teaspoon, and each cup is a different flavor.

I smelled a lot of mineral and nutty scents when this was just done steeping the first time, but tasted a mostly mineral flavor. The second infusion is a lot nuttier, and is starting to have a floral/slight fruit taste to me. I love that, and am looking forward to those flavors coming out more in later infusions.

The Leaf: Dark brown to black throughout the pile. medium curl, leaving most of the leaves long and straight with only slight bends; a few are curled almost into balls. The scent is nice and strong, having a roasted, sweet, creamy smell.

The Brew: The liquor is a nice golden brown; bronze. The aroma is bright with the same roasted sweet smell of the leaf. It almost is metallic smelling; it has a certain clip in the aroma, if that makes any sense. The taste is definitely creamy, partially from the mouthfeel and partially from the flavor. It’s very soft on the tongue and has a roasted character, making it seem like a caramelized cream-based drink; the flavor and sweetness are much lighter of course.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream