Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Earth, Smoke, Smooth, Floral, Tobacco, Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Grain, Roasted, Wood, Mushrooms, Honey, Mineral, Yeasty, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final *early morning* Harpy HoliDaze...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2946 tasting notes
  • “My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1825 tasting notes
  • “I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It's just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I'd be able to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1691 tasting notes
  • “thank you *cavocorax* for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There's something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 29, 2014

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

Oh, I like this tea. But for me it is not floral, it is sweet and fruity. I can’t stop thinking about the tasty cake with apricot pieces in it while drinking and smelling this oolong. Very nice for everyday drinking and it is great for black tea lovers as well.

This is my second experience of Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe), thanks to a generous sample from Teavivre. I believe that this one came in the oolong sample pack.

The last time I tried this darker shade of oolong (I believe that one was from Harney & Sons), I appear to have overleafed and oversteeped. Fortunately, boychik corrected the error of my ways, and I am happy to report that I like this tea a lot! I already had three delicious infusions, steeped in a nice ceramic mug with a deep infuser and a lid. It seems the perfect method for preparing multiply infusable oolongs and probably will be my new vessel of choice for this type of tea in the future.

So why is this good? The liquor is dark amber and tastes like a combination of all of the tasting notes listed by everyone else. Basically indescribable, but highly imbibable!

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
boychik

I’m glad you like it. It became my fav too.

KiwiDelight

I love this one too.

apt

It’s actually impossible to overleaf Da Hong Pao. Some people will use up to 12gr in a tiny Yixing. They fill it up, crush the leaves, and then fill it up even more. A lot of “tea masters” tend to do this

I should start off by mentioning that the tea that got me into drinking tea was Wuyi, now it was indeed a teabag, but I think we all were there at one point or another :P (in-fact I am relapsing back into teabags). After about 6 months of strictly drinking Wuyi as my tea of choice, I decided to move on and try different teas, about 3 years has passed since then, so this was the first time in 3 years that I tried Wuyi again, and I was not disappointed! This tea was everything that I remembered minus the bitterness and a bit more full bodied. After a quick rinse, the first steeping was a bit bitter and uneventful, but I find that common in oolongs. The second steeping was where all the flavor came out, and it brought back memories of drinking my Wuyi out of a 32 oz. Mason jar in a massage chair looking out the window in mid fall _. The third steeping was a little bit weaker than the second, but it was still very good, but then I felt like it had a sudden drop off at the fourth steeping, but the way I was steeping it, I was quite impressed with the third! I’ll admit, the tea was a little dusty, and had a decent amount of sediment at the bottom, but for the most part, it was clear, and very nice to look at. I would recommend this to a friend that is on the fence about drinking tea, this is a darker tea, but I recommend it just by the mere fact that it drew in me, a devoted coffee lover instantly.

Over all, the taste was 100/100, aroma 100/100,and the was appearance 93/100.

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Smoke, Tobacco

I ordered a sample of this from TeaVivre during their 3rd Anniversary Sale, just because I was curious. I’ve been experimenting a little bit with oxidized and roasted oolongs lately, mostly due to my love of GTT’s Eastern Beauty. I haven’t really loved them so far, I find that they mostly taste like autumn leaves to me with a little bit of something else mixed in. But still, the curiosity has its way! These leaves are very large and brittle, and quite twisty. They’re very dark in color, and they’re closer to being grey than brown. Dry scent is autumn leaves with hay and some vegetal notes. I did a 2 minute steep at 200 degrees.

Brewed, it still smells quite leafy. There’s definitely a bit of bread there as well, along with some honey sweetness and lovely fruit notes. Hmm… I’m beginning to think these teas may not be for me. This one also tastes like dry autumn leaves, which I guess is because of the roasting done to it. There’s a little bit of bread or grain, along with an earthy wood flavor. I get a tad bit of fruit and some creaminess near the end and in the aftertaste, but I wish these were more present throughout the sip.

I find that this genre of teas tends to bore me a bit, if that makes sense? I’ll probably try this tea gong fu style as well, but I found that it tasted rather the same with the dancong I tried that way. I’ll still try it though, just to give it a chance!

Any recommendations on the best way to brew dancong and da hong pao teas would be lovely. :D

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Earth, Grain, Roasted, Wood

KiwiDelight

ooooo yes this is such an autumn tea. I like dark oolongs gongfu style because they seem more complex. Maybe it’s even more so with yixing? I’ve only used a ceramic gaiwan. Dunno if that’s helpful…

boychik

5g 100ml gaiwan 195F
Rinse/pause/short steeps 10-15sec
See if you like it, increase or decrease steeps, but not 2min for sure;)

TheTeaFairy

I agree with boychik on this one. I just use slightly higher temp. though

This tea is pretty good. I steeped it four times in a 180ml gaiwan, or at least the gaiwan was sold as 180ml, it may be a bit smaller. I used 5g leaves in 185 degree water. I steeped it for 15 sec, then accidentally oversteeped the second for 25 sec, then 15 sec, then 15 sec. I found the notes of honey and yeast in the description of the tea. There is also another note, I am sot sure how to describe it. It is slightly stronger than the other flavors. The best flavor in the list to describe this is mushroom, although that is not quite it. Overall I enjoyed this tea. It has a serious depth of flavor and tastes like a 2014 Oolong, I don’t know if it is this year’s harvest.

Flavors: Mushrooms

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I just realized I had one sample left from TeaVivre’s very generous offerings that I have not reviewed yet. Since it was time for morning tea, I figured it was time to get to it!

Method: 3.3 g, 3 oz, 205 degrees, 15-20-25 seconds, ru kilk gaiwan

Aroma: Roasty scents, with some hints of floral and fruit, and also a mineral note

Flavor: Toasty yum. This tea has some pretty floral notes, but the main show is the roasty toasty flavor. There’s also a bit of sweetness and a slightly dry finish. This has a very pleasant aftertaste that really stays awhile. I blended the first 3 steeps into a mug and I’m having some difficulty not just chugging it all at once! Thanks to TeaVivre for the sample!

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Teaave

Hi Sarsonator,

This Is Tea Ave, we are about all things Oolong- www.teaave.com, we plan to launch our site on November, 1st, 2014. Here we can see that you are enjoying sipping some Oolongs yourself. (Love the way you review the teas by the way, clear and organized!!)

We are inviting you to follow us back, so we can send out an inbox message with more information on Tea Ave. We would also like to invite you to try out some of our Oolong samples including Pouchong, Tie Kwan Ying and some floral scented Oolongs before launching.

So, if you’d like, please feel free follow us back and sign up the from we will send you to your inbox , just remember to include your Steepster ID, and we can catch up from there :)

Cheers.

Thank you, Teavivre, for a sample!

Used with the gongfu method. 2 one-second rinses. Steeping times were 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45.

The dry leaf aroma smells of honey and and pineapple. The wet leaf aroma, which sits very well in the bowl, has notes of a mixed juice, strawberries, and – this is an odd one – Juicy Juice gum (I haven’t had that since I was a kid). The liquor is pale gold, clear and clean, and thick in texture. After going months without having a Wuyi oolong, this one was refreshing to drink. I love me dark oolong any time of the year, especially when it is complex. A mineral note was prominent in the first infusion. Thereafter, a fruity sweetness took hold and was consistent throughout the rest of the session. For one of the middle infusions, sweet evolved to slight tart, prickling my tongue. At the end, when the flavor began to give, the sweetness faded, and a roasted quality took over.

Boiling 2 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

1928 tasting notes

SSTTB: Pick #22

So, when I said earlier this evening that the Hot Apple Ginger Toddy was the last one from The Box I guess I lied, inadvertently though; I totally forgot that I had this one too last minute while packing it up and that I’d yet to log it.

However, going through my notes just now reminded me of it!

Here’s what I jotted down while drinking it:

- WTF? It’s roasty like a Hojicha?
- Some serious malt/bread notes
- Floral Endsip/aftertaste
- Very weird as an oolong; pleasant enough

Obviously it was maybe a little forgettable overall given that I’d totally forgotten I even had it; but now that I’m thinking back on it now I am doing so fondly. It was really good in the moment and while I was really thrown by the flavours in it I thought it was very comforting.

Not something I’d need to drink again, though, I think.

I tend to forget I have this in the cupboard…well I just drank the last 7g of it so now it’s gone…

This is the roasted type, bolder in flavour with so many different notes and nuances, it’s not possible to identify them all in one session.

I don’t drink it often enough, too bad cause it is worth the attention. It smells like roasted chestnut and coffee, but strangely, the first thing I get in the first steep is a strong floral mouthfeel.

Then, it’s a party in the mouth. I mean fourth of july with fireworks kind of party. Baked goods, spicy nutmeg, peach, apricot, charcoal. It’s complex but so easy to drink.

Someone else suggested coconut to me from another Big Red Robe tea. As much as I want to get coconut, it’s just missing in action in this one. Too bad, I do love me some coconut!

On the fifth steep I just let it cool.

It’s juicy and very refreshing on this very hot summer night. It gets winey, like a bright citrusy and oaky white wine.

I really like this and would definitely consider replenish my cupboard with some Da Hong Pao soon.

Another great tea from Teavivre!

MzPriss

I love a roasty BRR. I would be happy to NOT get coconut though. I’m glad you got a mouth party out of it :)

Sarsonator

Super! I have a BRR from Verdant that I just love. Haven’t tried Teavivre’s yet. I’m definitely a fan of this style!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, don’t you love coconut MzPriss? I love it but not added to a tea blend, tastes and smells funny. But i’ll take natural coconut notes any day.

Sarsonator, i looked for my verdant’s BRR for 15 minutes last night and gave up…I was sure I still had some. It must be all that stash reorganization. It’s like laundry, you loose a sock once in a while, lol.

Sarsonator

LOL. It’ll turn up when you least expect it!

MzPriss

I love real coconut – but I don’t like it in tea and I despise coconut “flavoring” – it makes me think of that icky coconut aroma that goes in things like those air fresheners people hang in their cars or cheap potpourri. Adore real coconut though. I use a lot of coconut milk, coconut/almond milk and coconut oil/butter.

Terri HarpLady

I have a small collection of BBRs that I need to get back to drinking. I really do love them, so roasts, so nuanced, so tasty!

apt

best yancha is lao cong shui xian

On a whim I decided to try something daring! Ben was using the Xbox and I wanted to play Minecraft, so I borrowed his much superior computer to play the demo. It was the most fun I have had in ages, I died so much because I was not used to the controls (also using a laptop mouse instead of a real mouse) but it was a thing of beauty. I might have happy cried a little. The good news is Ben said if I buy myself a new mouse and a PC copy of Minecraft I can borrow his computer while he is at work!

Today’s tea is the famous Da Hong Pao Wuyi Rock Oolong from Teavivre. Hailing from the Wuyi Mountains in Fujian, China, this Rock Oolong (or Yancha) has an interesting legend about it. During the Ming Dynasty, the Emperor’s mother took ill, luckily a tea she sipped cured her and in thanks the Emperor sent great red robes to clothe the original bushes that grew the tea, hint the name Big Red Robe. The aroma of this tea is a blend of sweetness and smoke. There are notes of baking bread, honey, tobacco, coal, and a finishing hint of cocoa. It is quite a fascinating aroma that is well balanced.

Into the gaiwan the curly leaves go! After a fairly short steep, the aroma of the wet leaves is as complex as the dry leaves with notes of charcoal, baking bread, honey, and touch of floral. I should note that the floral is like orchids near the end of their life, heady sweet with just the faintest touch of decay. It is not an unpleasant smell, it is just very distinct to flowers which are about to fall off the stem. The poured off liquid is a blend of sweet honey, charcoal, and a finish of tobacco.

The first steep starts out sharply sweet, like honey coated tobacco with a strong note of coal. There is a great blend of pine wood and smoke at the middle of the sip, the titular midtaste, after the initial sharpness fades I realized that the mouthfeel was quite smooth. The finish is sweet with an aftertaste of cherry and the faintest hint of smoke.

For the second steep, the first thing I notice about the aroma is that it is only barely smoky, like a distant fire and not a piece of charcoal, it is more floral and much sweeter, like honey and flower nectar. The taste starts out very sweet and smooth, with strong notes of raw honey and flowers, specifically orchids and a touch of honeysuckle. There is a finish of cherries and smoke, just like the first steep.

Th aroma of the third steep has taken a different route from its previous forms, this time it is faintly fruity sweet with a distinct mineral and spring water aroma. The taste also has a strong mineral presence, it tastes like drinking straight from a spring (having done this many times, I highly recommend it) very clean and very mineraly. This fades to a gentle floral taste and a honey sweetness that lingers.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/06/teavivre-da-hong-pao-big-red-robe-wuyi.html

Flavors: Honey, Mineral, Smoke, Tobacco, Yeasty