Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Roasted, Earth, Smoke, Smooth, Floral, Tobacco, Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Grain, Wood, Mushrooms, Roasted Barley, Honey, Mineral, Yeasty, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final *early morning* Harpy HoliDaze...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3076 tasting notes
  • “My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1878 tasting notes
  • “I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It's just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I'd be able to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “thank you *cavocorax* for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There's something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5400 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 29, 2014

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

Oh, I like this tea. But for me it is not floral, it is sweet and fruity. I can’t stop thinking about the tasty cake with apricot pieces in it while drinking and smelling this oolong. Very nice for everyday drinking and it is great for black tea lovers as well.

As I shuffled out of the bedroom this morning to find that my wife was WAY too awake for 5:30am, she very perkily asked me if I wanted some of the Big Red Robe she was brewing. I think I must have grunted yes, because that’s what was in my travel mug when I left the house. It was so good. Woke me up as much as coffee would have (which wasn’t much, I still napped most of the way to work – I wasn’t driving, I take the bus). This tea was delicious. I know I’ve had a da hong pao before, but the flavor has never struck me like this. It was rich and grassy and leafy, tons of depth and interest. Usually oolongs have a bit of a buttery creamy finish, but this had a much sharper flavor – in a good way. Definitely going to be one that I reach for often from now on.

My new way of trying tea samples is to steep three different ones at once…maybe that’s not the best way of doing it, but it keeps me more focused and distracted from everything else. So that’s just what I do now. XD
Out of the two other teas that were steeping right next to this one, this tea smelled the strongest. It smells incredibly roasty.
The flavor is pretty much the same. Think I’ll enjoy this one more later on when I’m back on my roasty tea kick. xD

Flavors: Roasted

boychik

did you make it western?

Ost

Yeah. That’s how I mainly brew my tea. It’s easiest haha!
Is there a better way to brew this one without making it be super roasty?

boychik

Definitely. only gongfu for these types of oolong. you would see such difference and might fall in love with them. i find the best parameters for me 5-6g for 100 ml rinse and super short steeps, flash, like 2-3-5 sec tops. try it please. you dont even need gaiwan, you can place leaves in a steeper and just lift it up. rinsing is a must to remove dust and extra roast/smoke.

Ost

Huh…intersesting. I need to get a gawain. xD I just have been buying tea instead of teaware. I’ll have to remember this will be better gongfu style. Thanks for the tip!!

boychik

Gaiwan or glass gongfu teapots like 150ml are so inexpensive. You will be surprised how come you haven’t tried it this way. If you need links to tried and true gongfu stuff let me know :)

Ost

Heh, I am definitely gonna get a gaiwan sometime. Maybe sometime after all the holiday sales because there are just so many teas I wanna buy. But when I’m looking into one more I am definitely hitting you up!

Thank you Marzipan for the sample!

I thought I didn’t really care for this type of oolong, but it has been more than a year since I have had one and I’ve never tried TeaVivre’s so I decided to give it a shot. I’m actually really enjoying this tea! It is toasty, roasty and satisfying. I like the sweet plum/raisin notes on top and the oolongy tang. I am a Big Red Robe convert! YAY!

When Teavivre offered to send me more samples, I immediately had to request this one. Both because the school I went to had a mascot named Big Red (think McDonald’s Grimace, but red) and because our newest baby, a little redfoot tortoise, is named Da Hong Pao! We have three cats and a tortoise, and after the first cat, we got into the habit of tea names. We’ve an orange cat named Pekoe and a grey cat named Earlie. So, of course, when we decided on a red foot tortie, Da Hong Pao made perfect sense! We call her Pao or Pao Pao for short. For the record, our first cat is a brown tabby who is named Rosabella, but would have been Chai if we had been thinking of tea names back then.

Anyhoo, I don’t know that I’ve ever had a Da Hong Pao before this, and I’m not going back through 1000+ notes to figure out if I have. But dang, I should have! This is roasty, toasty goodness and I think I’m in love. Reminds me of home, with tobacco smoke and an underlying nuttiness that takes this tea to another level. I’m on my second steep of a sample packet in a Bubble Teapot (24 ounces) and, as is my habit, I dumped the leaves into a DT Mason Jar (25 oz) to coldbrew overnight. I want to get every last drop of goodness out of these amazing samples, but I’m way too lazy to gong fu. But I see an order in the near future, once the moneytree comes into bloom.

….you went to WKU?

LOL Yes, yes I did!

Marzipan

Wow small world, so did I!

aisling of tea

That’s awesome! I was there from 2003 until 2008.

Marzipan

You didn’t have a teacher named Renaud did you?

aisling of tea

Off the top of my head, no, but maybe? What does he teach?

Marzipan

It’s a she, she teaches speech or public speaking or something in that department.

I don’t think so, but I’m terrible with names :(

Marzipan

She is my sister, and you would probably have hated her! Haha.

aisling of tea

Ha! I remember now, my public speaking class was a summer course taught by some guy. The only thing I remember from the class is one of the speeches we had to do was a demonstration, and so someone showed how to cut a pineapple. I learned that fresh pineapple makes a hangover much, much worse XD

Marzipan

Parties at Western? Nah. At least not that my parents knew.

aisling of tea

It’s a dry campus, dontcha know ;)

harvest 6/14
I picked 100g on awesome July Anniversary sale.
I suspect this tea didnt have enough rest and develop the flavors, its kinda one dimensional. it is nice but not wow. based on all raving reviews i had high expectations. ok, i’ll wait. i will revisit it in a 6 months. thankfully i got a lot to experiment.
Gongfu method
6g 100ml gaiwan 195F
rinse/ short steeps

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is my second experience of Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe), thanks to a generous sample from Teavivre. I believe that this one came in the oolong sample pack.

The last time I tried this darker shade of oolong (I believe that one was from Harney & Sons), I appear to have overleafed and oversteeped. Fortunately, boychik corrected the error of my ways, and I am happy to report that I like this tea a lot! I already had three delicious infusions, steeped in a nice ceramic mug with a deep infuser and a lid. It seems the perfect method for preparing multiply infusable oolongs and probably will be my new vessel of choice for this type of tea in the future.

So why is this good? The liquor is dark amber and tastes like a combination of all of the tasting notes listed by everyone else. Basically indescribable, but highly imbibable!

180 °F / 82 °C 2 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
boychik

I’m glad you like it. It became my fav too.

KiwiDelight

I love this one too.

apt

It’s actually impossible to overleaf Da Hong Pao. Some people will use up to 12gr in a tiny Yixing. They fill it up, crush the leaves, and then fill it up even more. A lot of “tea masters” tend to do this

I should start off by mentioning that the tea that got me into drinking tea was Wuyi, now it was indeed a teabag, but I think we all were there at one point or another :P (in-fact I am relapsing back into teabags). After about 6 months of strictly drinking Wuyi as my tea of choice, I decided to move on and try different teas, about 3 years has passed since then, so this was the first time in 3 years that I tried Wuyi again, and I was not disappointed! This tea was everything that I remembered minus the bitterness and a bit more full bodied. After a quick rinse, the first steeping was a bit bitter and uneventful, but I find that common in oolongs. The second steeping was where all the flavor came out, and it brought back memories of drinking my Wuyi out of a 32 oz. Mason jar in a massage chair looking out the window in mid fall _. The third steeping was a little bit weaker than the second, but it was still very good, but then I felt like it had a sudden drop off at the fourth steeping, but the way I was steeping it, I was quite impressed with the third! I’ll admit, the tea was a little dusty, and had a decent amount of sediment at the bottom, but for the most part, it was clear, and very nice to look at. I would recommend this to a friend that is on the fence about drinking tea, this is a darker tea, but I recommend it just by the mere fact that it drew in me, a devoted coffee lover instantly.

Over all, the taste was 100/100, aroma 100/100,and the was appearance 93/100.

Flavors: Earth, Floral, Smoke, Tobacco

I ordered a sample of this from TeaVivre during their 3rd Anniversary Sale, just because I was curious. I’ve been experimenting a little bit with oxidized and roasted oolongs lately, mostly due to my love of GTT’s Eastern Beauty. I haven’t really loved them so far, I find that they mostly taste like autumn leaves to me with a little bit of something else mixed in. But still, the curiosity has its way! These leaves are very large and brittle, and quite twisty. They’re very dark in color, and they’re closer to being grey than brown. Dry scent is autumn leaves with hay and some vegetal notes. I did a 2 minute steep at 200 degrees.

Brewed, it still smells quite leafy. There’s definitely a bit of bread there as well, along with some honey sweetness and lovely fruit notes. Hmm… I’m beginning to think these teas may not be for me. This one also tastes like dry autumn leaves, which I guess is because of the roasting done to it. There’s a little bit of bread or grain, along with an earthy wood flavor. I get a tad bit of fruit and some creaminess near the end and in the aftertaste, but I wish these were more present throughout the sip.

I find that this genre of teas tends to bore me a bit, if that makes sense? I’ll probably try this tea gong fu style as well, but I found that it tasted rather the same with the dancong I tried that way. I’ll still try it though, just to give it a chance!

Any recommendations on the best way to brew dancong and da hong pao teas would be lovely. :D

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Earth, Grain, Roasted, Wood

KiwiDelight

ooooo yes this is such an autumn tea. I like dark oolongs gongfu style because they seem more complex. Maybe it’s even more so with yixing? I’ve only used a ceramic gaiwan. Dunno if that’s helpful…

5g 100ml gaiwan 195F
Rinse/pause/short steeps 10-15sec
See if you like it, increase or decrease steeps, but not 2min for sure;)

TheTeaFairy

I agree with boychik on this one. I just use slightly higher temp. though

Brewed this western style today. Got notes of roasted barley in it, I don’t know if this is common for Da Hong Pao but it was good. It was a little bitter, just a touch but good. It has hopefully woken me up.

Brewed this once in an 18oz teapot with 4 tsp leaf and 190 degree water for 3 min.

Flavors: Roasted Barley