Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Mineral, Cream, Espresso
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This has been a long day! First I woke up at 5:30, drank a cup of Imperial Breakfast (Verdant), brewed a resteep to go, & left the house at 6:30 to go play the final *early morning* Harpy HoliDaze...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2485 tasting notes
  • “My best friend came over with cheesecake today! Yay! She is a teacher and we took advantage of her day off to spend some time together even though youngest and I did NOT take the day off. We are...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “I think this might be the oolong that I preferred most out of all the Teavivre samples I recieved! It's just so dark and roasty and perfect for fall. I think if I had a bag of it, I'd be able to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1397 tasting notes
  • “thank you *cavocorax* for sending this one my way. I struggle with roasty oolongs. There's something about SOME of them that i dislike, while others i love. I dislike the aroma from this one in...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: May 02, 2013

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

Oh, I like this tea. But for me it is not floral, it is sweet and fruity. I can’t stop thinking about the tasty cake with apricot pieces in it while drinking and smelling this oolong. Very nice for everyday drinking and it is great for black tea lovers as well.

Backlog. After having this in my cupboard for a while, I finally tried it out a few days ago and haven’t been able to keep it out of my head ever since. So as a motivation to tackle STATA (stats software) for class, I steeped this beauty. So roasty in flavor but creamy in texture. Plus, it resteeps so darn well! This is definitely in my top 2 dark oolongs, the other being Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe from Verdant.

Very unusual oolong, it’s hard to describe, the flavour develops itself in the aftertaste

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

This is my happy oolong…it’s nicely malted, kinda woodsy and nuanced without asking a lot of your tastebuds. Each mouthful sits gently on the palate and lingers in a very gentle, comforting sort of way.

I wish I had the right sort of words to accurately describe this mellow, wonderful tea…but all I can say is that you should definitely try a cup. It’s quite delightful.

Anna

I love that you have a happy oolong.

I really enjoyed this tea. It was such a pleasant surprise, as I was unaware what to expect. I could not stop thinking about crystals as I was drinking the oolong because the taste was somehow reminding me of a crystal. I believe the correct description of the taste is something along the lines of a mineral flavor. Whatever it was, I thoroughly appreciated it and am definitely going to buy more than the sample next time! Thank you TeaVivre!

Flavors: Mineral

This is a delicious medium-roasted oolong. I’d actually say it’s more like a light-medium mix, because it’s the lightest medium I’ve had yet. That means that some of the lighter fruity and floral notes you’d find in a green oolong come through, but there’s also a delicious roasty, almost bready flavor to it too. The floral taste is a lot like what most companies describe as “orchid” flavor, but this time it tastes much richer than I’m used to. There’s also just a little bit of a honey aftertaste to it that I love. I’m glad I have several more cups of this left! This is one I’d definitely consider buying.

carol who Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

How do they fit this on a label?

I’m finally finally getting down to the samples that Angel so generously sent me last month. They’ve been sitting on my table staring at me but I’ve rarely been home to really sit down and enjoy teas like this. I never like having oolong on the go.

So, you know how burning tea leaves smell like something else? Right? Well, the dry leaf smells a little like that, which I guess I shouldn’t be so shocked about because this is a roasted oolong and all. I find it amusing.

Taste-wise, this is probably the best Wuyi anything I’ve had to date. I normally dislike Wuyi teas because I don’t care for mineral notes, but I’m not getting that here. Instead, I’m mostly getting cocoa notes and general roastiness. Kind of bold for an oolong, which is awesome. And I love that this has the perfect amount of roastiness to it, as some roasted oolongs taste on the burnt side, almost like burnt toast. None of that here.

I get hints of a floral note in the background but it’s ultimately masked by the aforementioned notes. So tasty.

Thank you so much, Angel. I am truly looking forward to making an order sometime, as soon as my stash dwindles down.

Dark Oolong that is light amber in color and has a nutty roasted aroma. It is light and sweet with a peach and cocoa taste.

205 °F / 96 °C

This was a sample from Teavivre.

Even though I ordered this during the summer, this tea is definitely for those cold winter mornings and evenings to warm your belly. I could also see this tea served during breakfast or after a filling, robust meal.

The caffeine this tea packs will definitely pick you up, which was needed as I stayed up late to finish my med school applications.

This was the first time I’ve tried a Wuyi Oolong. I’m glad I did, because I enjoyed the roasted, nutty, and floral flavors that this tea produced. If you’re into roasted tea, then this is worth the purchase.

Along with the tieguanyin, this tea is also a daily drinker for me.

205 °F / 96 °C

I received this as a sample and was my first foray into the Oolongs.
The dark leaves steeped to a golden red liquor
Round and very floral, sweet, smooth with no bitterness and a velvety aftertaste.