Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Roasted, Earth, Smoke, Smooth, Floral, Tobacco, Autumn Leaf Pile, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Grain, Wood, Mushrooms, Roasted Barley, Honey, Mineral, Yeasty, Caramel, Cream, Espresso
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Tea buds covered in white tips, with one or two leaves

Harvest time: April 12, 2015

Taste: Warm roasted aroma with delightful floral flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Wu Yi tea has the highest amount of polyphenol which is a natural antioxidant that comes in the tea. Many signs of aging include dark spots, wrinkled skin, roughness and related blemishes-people have reported a decrease of these symptoms with regular drinking of wu long tea.

About Teavivre View company

I anticipate many infusions will be able to happen with this one, which is my favorite thing about oolongs and pu erhs. Even if they are a bit pricier at first, the quality can’t be beat, you get a bajillion cups out of a teaspoon, and each cup is a different flavor.

I smelled a lot of mineral and nutty scents when this was just done steeping the first time, but tasted a mostly mineral flavor. The second infusion is a lot nuttier, and is starting to have a floral/slight fruit taste to me. I love that, and am looking forward to those flavors coming out more in later infusions.

The Leaf: Dark brown to black throughout the pile. medium curl, leaving most of the leaves long and straight with only slight bends; a few are curled almost into balls. The scent is nice and strong, having a roasted, sweet, creamy smell.

The Brew: The liquor is a nice golden brown; bronze. The aroma is bright with the same roasted sweet smell of the leaf. It almost is metallic smelling; it has a certain clip in the aroma, if that makes any sense. The taste is definitely creamy, partially from the mouthfeel and partially from the flavor. It’s very soft on the tongue and has a roasted character, making it seem like a caramelized cream-based drink; the flavor and sweetness are much lighter of course.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

This is another from my Teavivire sampler. It’s very dark and roasty—just how I like my oolongs. There’s a nice fruity aftertaste; after reading through some of the other reviews, I’m thinking it’s mostly peach. This is quite a smooth tea, and there’s a bit more sweetness than I’d expected too. There are some woodsy notes, and, although I’m never entirely sure what people mean when they talk about oolongs having mineral qualities, I’m guessing those are present as well. I’m really enjoying this; it’s definitely my favorite of the Teavivre oolongs I’ve tried so far. Thanks for letting me try this one, Angel!

Backlog. After having this in my cupboard for a while, I finally tried it out a few days ago and haven’t been able to keep it out of my head ever since. So as a motivation to tackle STATA (stats software) for class, I steeped this beauty. So roasty in flavor but creamy in texture. Plus, it resteeps so darn well! This is definitely in my top 2 dark oolongs, the other being Wuyi Mountain Big Red Robe from Verdant.

Very unusual oolong, it’s hard to describe, the flavour develops itself in the aftertaste

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 300 ML

This is my happy oolong…it’s nicely malted, kinda woodsy and nuanced without asking a lot of your tastebuds. Each mouthful sits gently on the palate and lingers in a very gentle, comforting sort of way.

I wish I had the right sort of words to accurately describe this mellow, wonderful tea…but all I can say is that you should definitely try a cup. It’s quite delightful.

Anna

I love that you have a happy oolong.

I really enjoyed this tea. It was such a pleasant surprise, as I was unaware what to expect. I could not stop thinking about crystals as I was drinking the oolong because the taste was somehow reminding me of a crystal. I believe the correct description of the taste is something along the lines of a mineral flavor. Whatever it was, I thoroughly appreciated it and am definitely going to buy more than the sample next time! Thank you TeaVivre!

Flavors: Mineral

This is a delicious medium-roasted oolong. I’d actually say it’s more like a light-medium mix, because it’s the lightest medium I’ve had yet. That means that some of the lighter fruity and floral notes you’d find in a green oolong come through, but there’s also a delicious roasty, almost bready flavor to it too. The floral taste is a lot like what most companies describe as “orchid” flavor, but this time it tastes much richer than I’m used to. There’s also just a little bit of a honey aftertaste to it that I love. I’m glad I have several more cups of this left! This is one I’d definitely consider buying.

carol who Da Hong Pao (Big Red Robe) Wuyi Rock Oolong Tea Fujian

How do they fit this on a label?

I’m finally finally getting down to the samples that Angel so generously sent me last month. They’ve been sitting on my table staring at me but I’ve rarely been home to really sit down and enjoy teas like this. I never like having oolong on the go.

So, you know how burning tea leaves smell like something else? Right? Well, the dry leaf smells a little like that, which I guess I shouldn’t be so shocked about because this is a roasted oolong and all. I find it amusing.

Taste-wise, this is probably the best Wuyi anything I’ve had to date. I normally dislike Wuyi teas because I don’t care for mineral notes, but I’m not getting that here. Instead, I’m mostly getting cocoa notes and general roastiness. Kind of bold for an oolong, which is awesome. And I love that this has the perfect amount of roastiness to it, as some roasted oolongs taste on the burnt side, almost like burnt toast. None of that here.

I get hints of a floral note in the background but it’s ultimately masked by the aforementioned notes. So tasty.

Thank you so much, Angel. I am truly looking forward to making an order sometime, as soon as my stash dwindles down.

Dark Oolong that is light amber in color and has a nutty roasted aroma. It is light and sweet with a peach and cocoa taste.

205 °F / 96 °C