Fengqing Golden Buds Ripened Pu-erh Cake Tea 2005

Earth, Fishy, Floral, Sweet, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 30 to 40 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: March, 2004

Taste: Mellow earthy sweet taste with flowery flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

This Golden Buds Puerh Cake made in 2005 is the high-end products from Fengqing Sanning Tea Company. There’re plenty of highest quality tender buds with white tips. The buds which turned to be golden color after fermentation were combined with other levels Puerh maocha which contain much flavor content so that this Puerh cake has the characteristics of pure aroma, mellow taste and quick sweet aftertaste.

About Teavivre View company

Backlog:

Very earthy aroma which kind of made me hesitant to try it, but, I’m glad I got over it. This is a nice, ripened pu-erh. It doesn’t taste nearly as earthy as it smells. It certainly does have earthy notes, sort of mushroom-y, sweet notes that are a cross between molasses and caramel.

Here is my full-length review of this one: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/02/21/fengqing-golden-buds-ripened-pu-erh-cake-tea-2005-from-teavivre/

This tea was very smooth, without too much earthiness ;) First couple of infusions had a sort of fishy aroma from the wet leaves..thank god the smell was not detected in the Tea infusion! This would be an easy tea for people who are daunted by Pu-erh’s! I actually liked the Ripened aged Pu-er better..it had a deeper earthy flavor which I quite enjoyed ;-D

I am using my last sample of this excellent pu-erh from Tea Vivre. I got it as part of the Pu-erh sample assortment. My initial tasting notes from last summer indicated at least 9 steeps which I enjoyed hot, at room temp, and cold. Nice and earthy, and especially good with a little stevia. Today, I had 7 gms which I rinsed twice to open up the leaves, then steeped in 6 oz boiling water at 30, 60, 120, etc. I haven’t had pu-erh in awhile, but wanted to share this with my son while he is home from school. It really hits the spot, and I highly recommend it, especially if you haven’t had pu-erh before. There is no fishiness, and I think it is a great example of what a good ripened pu-ehr is like. The Teavivre site shows low quantities of this. If you haven’t dealt with Teavivre before, I can recommend them as a company that provides excellent service and they offer free samples with your order.

Boiling

This is another sample that I received from Teavivre.

The cake smelt earthy when dry. My wife thought it was earthier than I did but that just goes to show how different our noses are. I placed 8g of leaf in a 200ml Yixing pot, washed it and then steeped it beginning with a 20 second steep and building up from there. The liquor was thick and slightly reddish. The taste was slightly sweet, earthy and smooth. Very nice. It is a tea that I could enjoy all day long. Actually, I did. I lost count of how often I resteeped it, but I began drinking this one in the morning and finished in the early evening when the tea was reduced to sweet, dark water. The whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable and I shall be adding this tea to my wish list for when I put in an order.

I decided to have a relaxing morning with my new tea pet and gaiwan.

First:
20s
The aroma of the wet leaf is very sweet. Slightly floral. But there is still a touch of earth and smoke. Mmm :] The flavor is very sweet with light touches of honeysuckle.
Second:
30s
Aroma is still sweet but the smokey note is starting to come out a bit more. The flavor is still sweet with a strong earthy note.
Third:
40s
The aroma is sweet but the earthy\smokey notes are starting to take over. Ooo this steep is dark. Beautiful deep chocolate brown color. The mouthfeel of this steep is thick but smooth. The flavor is sweet with strong earthy notes. That touch of honeysuckle is in the background.
Fourth:
50s
The aroma is still earthy and smokey but the sweetness has almost vanished. The flavor is very earthy with honeysuckle notes. There is a slight roasted nut flavor. But only slightly.
Fifth:
1m10s
The aroma is kind of leafy and burnt(in a good way). The flavor is very earthy with toasted nut and sweet notes.
Sixth:
1m30s
The aroma is slowly making it’s way back to sweet and earthy. There is still a nice burnt\smokey note to it. The flavor kind of reminds me of a raw mushroom. Still earthy. Still sweet. I’m catching a slight honeysuckle note again.
Seventh:
2m
Aroma is nice. Sweet and earthy but still has that burnt smell to it.
The flavor is sweet and earthy with light hints of honeysuckle.
Eighth:
2m30s
The aroma is nutty, sweet, and earthy. Mmm the flavor is sweet and nutty with mellow earthy notes. The flavor is mellow and sweet. Slightly floral.
MMm I really enjoy puerh so this was a nice treat.

Nice ripe pu-erh with earthy and a bit flowery scent when dry. First steeps have a clear taste of almonds roasted in some honey. Later steeps becoming more earthy gradually. Absolutely not possible to get this tea any bitter, with any steep time. Nice regular pu-erh drink. About 15 steeps will be good. My review here: http://j.mp/ripepu

I’m not sure what I think of this pu-erh. It’s flavor is so light it’s almost not there. I guess, I can say there’s none of that common fishiness to it.

I’ve had two sweepings so far and am not getting much actual flavor out of it. Will see what happens on the next couple.

Insence&Tea

How are you steeping it? I had some pretty bold flavors when I brewed it.

(This sample was generously provided to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: Has a earthy almost tobacco leaf aroma.
Wet Leaf: The aroma was a warm earthy smell again there was that almost tobacco leaf aroma.
Liquor: Had a dark reddish color
Taste: This tea had a smooth mellow earthy almost tobacco leaf taste the life of the tea.
My Score/Over All Opinion: 89, This tea was very smooth and mellow but I only got the earthy/ tobacco leaf taste all thru the tea no floral flavor as I was waiting for. Which is why I scored like I did.

This tea tastes kind of sweet and light. I doesn’t brew very dark compared to other pu’erhs. It’s not fishy, I rinsed it for about 30 seconds before steeping it.

1928 tasting notes

I used about half my 10g sample in my “120” ml easy gaiwan. And I’m pouring it directly into two cups, so one cup is steeped longer than the other. Haha. I’m feeling super lazy tonight. I had two cups out, so two cups it is.

I’m guessing that the taste means it was wet stored. It tastes damp. Like wet forest, but not super fresh with pine and clean air. It’s not resinous either. It’s actually pretty smooth yet quite mild. Not that the flavour isn’t strong, just that it’s well blended together so there’s nothing bringing itself strongly to my attention. So far I’m enjoying it, but I’m not sure that this is a flavour profile I adore. Perhaps I’m learning to like a little more bite in my puerh.

And now I have a cat forcefully cuddling me so I can’t reach the kettle.

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML