Fengqing Golden Buds Ripened Pu-erh Cake Tea 2005

Pu-erh Tea
Earth, Fishy, Floral, Sweet, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I have really liked every Puerh I have tasted from Teavivre. I have saved this sample that I purchased for almost a year, but my best friend came over to try my new flourless chewy chocolate...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1815 tasting notes
  • “Uh... 3-4 teaspoons for 8 oz? WHOOPS This is what happens when they don't put the leafage on the bag! Grrr! Ah well. It's a free sample, so there's only so much griping I can do. I would...” Read full tasting note
    Aeoliana 301 tasting notes
  • “i had this today too, and will likely have a few more steepings now that i'm home. I think i prefer the other puerh i had from teavivre this past week, but not by much. this is a really nice...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4862 tasting notes
  • “About a week ago I was weeding my blackberry bramble, & as I breathed in the aroma of the mulch under the berry canes, it reminded me of Shu: rich, earthy, musty, damp, wonderful. I have 3 Oak...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2913 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 30 to 40 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: March, 2004

Taste: Mellow earthy sweet taste with flowery flavor

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

This Golden Buds Puerh Cake made in 2005 is the high-end products from Fengqing Sanning Tea Company. There’re plenty of highest quality tender buds with white tips. The buds which turned to be golden color after fermentation were combined with other levels Puerh maocha which contain much flavor content so that this Puerh cake has the characteristics of pure aroma, mellow taste and quick sweet aftertaste.

About Teavivre View company

Backlog:

Very earthy aroma which kind of made me hesitant to try it, but, I’m glad I got over it. This is a nice, ripened pu-erh. It doesn’t taste nearly as earthy as it smells. It certainly does have earthy notes, sort of mushroom-y, sweet notes that are a cross between molasses and caramel.

Here is my full-length review of this one: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/02/21/fengqing-golden-buds-ripened-pu-erh-cake-tea-2005-from-teavivre/

This tea was very smooth, without too much earthiness ;) First couple of infusions had a sort of fishy aroma from the wet leaves..thank god the smell was not detected in the Tea infusion! This would be an easy tea for people who are daunted by Pu-erh’s! I actually liked the Ripened aged Pu-er better..it had a deeper earthy flavor which I quite enjoyed ;-D

I am using my last sample of this excellent pu-erh from Tea Vivre. I got it as part of the Pu-erh sample assortment. My initial tasting notes from last summer indicated at least 9 steeps which I enjoyed hot, at room temp, and cold. Nice and earthy, and especially good with a little stevia. Today, I had 7 gms which I rinsed twice to open up the leaves, then steeped in 6 oz boiling water at 30, 60, 120, etc. I haven’t had pu-erh in awhile, but wanted to share this with my son while he is home from school. It really hits the spot, and I highly recommend it, especially if you haven’t had pu-erh before. There is no fishiness, and I think it is a great example of what a good ripened pu-ehr is like. The Teavivre site shows low quantities of this. If you haven’t dealt with Teavivre before, I can recommend them as a company that provides excellent service and they offer free samples with your order.

Boiling

This is another sample that I received from Teavivre.

The cake smelt earthy when dry. My wife thought it was earthier than I did but that just goes to show how different our noses are. I placed 8g of leaf in a 200ml Yixing pot, washed it and then steeped it beginning with a 20 second steep and building up from there. The liquor was thick and slightly reddish. The taste was slightly sweet, earthy and smooth. Very nice. It is a tea that I could enjoy all day long. Actually, I did. I lost count of how often I resteeped it, but I began drinking this one in the morning and finished in the early evening when the tea was reduced to sweet, dark water. The whole experience was thoroughly enjoyable and I shall be adding this tea to my wish list for when I put in an order.

I decided to have a relaxing morning with my new tea pet and gaiwan.

First:
20s
The aroma of the wet leaf is very sweet. Slightly floral. But there is still a touch of earth and smoke. Mmm :] The flavor is very sweet with light touches of honeysuckle.
Second:
30s
Aroma is still sweet but the smokey note is starting to come out a bit more. The flavor is still sweet with a strong earthy note.
Third:
40s
The aroma is sweet but the earthy\smokey notes are starting to take over. Ooo this steep is dark. Beautiful deep chocolate brown color. The mouthfeel of this steep is thick but smooth. The flavor is sweet with strong earthy notes. That touch of honeysuckle is in the background.
Fourth:
50s
The aroma is still earthy and smokey but the sweetness has almost vanished. The flavor is very earthy with honeysuckle notes. There is a slight roasted nut flavor. But only slightly.
Fifth:
1m10s
The aroma is kind of leafy and burnt(in a good way). The flavor is very earthy with toasted nut and sweet notes.
Sixth:
1m30s
The aroma is slowly making it’s way back to sweet and earthy. There is still a nice burnt\smokey note to it. The flavor kind of reminds me of a raw mushroom. Still earthy. Still sweet. I’m catching a slight honeysuckle note again.
Seventh:
2m
Aroma is nice. Sweet and earthy but still has that burnt smell to it.
The flavor is sweet and earthy with light hints of honeysuckle.
Eighth:
2m30s
The aroma is nutty, sweet, and earthy. Mmm the flavor is sweet and nutty with mellow earthy notes. The flavor is mellow and sweet. Slightly floral.
MMm I really enjoy puerh so this was a nice treat.

Nice ripe pu-erh with earthy and a bit flowery scent when dry. First steeps have a clear taste of almonds roasted in some honey. Later steeps becoming more earthy gradually. Absolutely not possible to get this tea any bitter, with any steep time. Nice regular pu-erh drink. About 15 steeps will be good. My review here: http://j.mp/ripepu

I’m not sure what I think of this pu-erh. It’s flavor is so light it’s almost not there. I guess, I can say there’s none of that common fishiness to it.

I’ve had two sweepings so far and am not getting much actual flavor out of it. Will see what happens on the next couple.

Insence&Tea

How are you steeping it? I had some pretty bold flavors when I brewed it.

(This sample was generously provided to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: Has a earthy almost tobacco leaf aroma.
Wet Leaf: The aroma was a warm earthy smell again there was that almost tobacco leaf aroma.
Liquor: Had a dark reddish color
Taste: This tea had a smooth mellow earthy almost tobacco leaf taste the life of the tea.
My Score/Over All Opinion: 89, This tea was very smooth and mellow but I only got the earthy/ tobacco leaf taste all thru the tea no floral flavor as I was waiting for. Which is why I scored like I did.

This tea tastes kind of sweet and light. I doesn’t brew very dark compared to other pu’erhs. It’s not fishy, I rinsed it for about 30 seconds before steeping it.

Brewing guidelines: Standard parameters when I brew ripened pu-erh in my 11 OZ Yixing.
First I do a 15 – 20 second rinse with near boiling water. Then for each successive steeping I add Stevia to my 8 OZ clear-glass teacup (thus, typically not added to the teapot).
……….1st: Near boiling, 0.5’
……….2nd: Boiling , 1’
……….3rd: Boiling , 1.5’
……….4th: Boiling~(poured usually right after the previous steeping, so the teapot and water are as hot as possible)~, 2’ (if it’s the final steeping, then sometimes longer)
……….If 5th and/or more: Boiling, < If I do more than 4 steepings, I basically add 0.5’ for each. >

Overall: NOTE: I hope to ‘streamline’ my reviews going forward, so, hopefully, they are a little less technical and dry (and perhaps even stilted), and a little more organic and experiential (and hopefully, flowing); this somewhat new approach to reviews is a kind of metaphor for where my life is headed right now, and is one reason why I write reviews: as a kind of time-capsule of where I was in my life at that time.

This tea was a sample included in a pu-erh sampler pack I bought at the end of 2013. I have been brewing up lots of different ripe pu-erh teas over the last few months, usually over the weekends, steeping a different one each day in the hopes of determining which ones I like the most. I have not been as systematic about my overall analysis as I used to be (especially as I was with green teas); for example, mainly due the the time and effort involved I don’t compare/analyze the dry and wet tea leaf of ripe pu-erh as I have with other teas classes.

Although I am enjoying ripe pu-erh, somewhat sadly most all of the ripe pu-erh teas I have had basically taste the same to me (so far). I believe, over time, as my pallet gets more exposure to ripe pu-erh, the differences will make themselves known to me.

I finished the last of this yesterday, and all I really remember about this tea is that I liked the flavor a little more than the others. I don’t know, perhaps the word ‘Golden’ in the name is doing an unconscious ‘number’ on me. I don’t think so, though. The flavor seemed somewhat richer than the others, and the leaf was somewhat larger than the others. I will say this: I prefer the pu-erh with the larger leaf, if anything, because then it won’t slip through the holes at the end of my spout on my Yixing!

As I don’t really have a benchmark to measure from as of yet, I plan to leave off the rating on any pu-erh teas I review.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML