Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea (Flavored)

Oolong Tea
Flavor, Oolong Tea
Butter, Cream, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal, Creamy, Floral, Flowers, Honey, Honeysuckle, Malt
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Kiaharii

• “I was craving a bit of milk oolong this afternoon, and remembered that I hadn't tried this one generously sent to me by *Teavivre* yet! The aroma of both the dry and steeped tea is kind of a...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2596 tasting notes
  • “First off, I got an apartment, woot woot! It is a nice little one bedroom and I am really looking forward to it. Finally! I had a huge lunch of Indian food today so I wanted something relatively...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2029 tasting notes
  • “It is a cold and rainy day today, so I decided to break out my flavored milk oolong that *Teavivre* generously sent me to try. Now, I do have to confess that I have had it at least one time before...” Read full tasting note
    MegWesley 538 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! What a wonderful sample. Seriously *Teavivre*, thank you for the sample! I have decided that currently my favorite milk oolongs go: Teavivre, Teavivre (flavored), and then David's. This...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 539 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Grown and produced in Alishan, Nantou, Taiwan
Harvest Time: May 1, 2013
Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves
Pale yellow-gold tea liquor
Strong milk fragrance
Low caffeine (less than 10% of a cup of coffee

Different from our Unflavored Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea, this Flavored Jin Xuan Oolong Tea is produced by adding edible flavoring to accentuate the milk flavor. So the milk aroma of this Flavored Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong is stronger. It is better for people who like strong milk fragrance.

This Jin Xuan Milk Oolong Tea we selected is imported directly from Taiwan to Fujian, China. This tea meets the most strictly European low pesticide residues standard for agricultural products.

The flavor used for this Flavored Jin Xuan Milk Tea is from Mane (Shanghai), the branch company of the famous Flavours and Fragrances company “Mane”, which is founded in 1871 in the Grasse area, France.

About Teavivre View company

And now it time for the flavoured version of Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk oolong. The smell that comes from the zip bag is oddly familiar. It smells same that that milk oolong that I bought from Forsman. This thing differs from the unflavoured one with the milk flavouring that is sprayed on the leaves, so this is supposed to have stronger milk flavour. At least it smells like milk, bit vinegary like milk or sour milk.
Nuggets of this tea are more even in size compared to the unflavoured milk oolong. Yellow in colour and has milky aroma, but without that osmanthus. Wet tea has more vegetal aroma.
It has quite sweet milk flavour, with hint of vegetality. Milk flavour could be stronger, now it’s about as strong as the unflavoured tea. It’s still pretty good one but my number one in milk oolongs is still from the local tea shop. It has been steamed with goats milk, and that is the stuff.

Flavors: Butter, Cream, Milk, Sweet, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 3 OZ / 100 ML

A sample from KittyLovesTea. I’ve tried Teavivre’s unflavoured Jin Xuan before, and I enjoyed it a lot. It had a natural butteriness that was very pleasant, very smooth, and very easy to drink! I suspect my heart really belongs to flavoured milk oolongs, though, so I was very interested in trying Teavivre’s flavoured version. At last, the time has come!

I used 1 tsp of leaf, and have it 2.5 minutes in boiling water. I felt bad about the water, but that’s what the sachet recommends, so that’s what I did. The resulting liquor is pale yellow gold, and smells of butter and green veg. It’s a scent I’d expect more from a green tea, but there you go.

The first sip reveals a lovely milkiness that almost borders on caramel, which fades into a butteriness by the mid-sip. The vegetal, green-tasting oolong emerges right at the end of the sip, and lingers in the aftertaste. It’s a fresh, almost mineral counterpoint to the sweet, creamy opening flavour.

I like that the flavouring doesn’t drown the oolong completely, and that it complements the oolong’s natural flavour, rather than just covering it up. I’m not sure I would have liked it had it been the first flavoured milk oolong I’d tried, but now I have a little more experience with oolong (milk or otherwise) I can appreciate it for what it is.

This is a tea I wouldn’t mind keeping around. It’ll definitely make it into a future Teavivre order!

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp

I was up all night with a painful tummy and I feel just awful today, so I was in desperate need of some comfort tea. And oh boy is this it. I love this tea. It’s light and flavorful and refreshing and perfect. I am looking forward to spending my day with this perfect tea.

This tea grows on you, or at least it did for me. After my last cup of my first brew, I could really taste the milk flavor, and I think I like it even better with my second pot. It does have that flavor as if you added just a hint of milk to it. It’s a flavor that I like in another one of my other teas as well, though in this tea it feels more natural. I think I will buy this again.

I had too many black teas today, so I needed some oolong. It smells nicely creamy and floral. The flavour is sweet and creamy, but there is a bit of a strong aftertaste. Good, but I prefer the unflavoured Milk Oolong.

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Milk

I was surprised and, to be honest, a bit skeptical about this flavored milk oolong from Teavivre. Not that I knew anything about milk oolong anyway, but it struck me as strange that an excellent pure tea purveyor such as Teavivre would be trading in those disreputable “flavors” added by so many companies to mask mediocre base teas.

My worries were for naught, as this Jin Xuan tastes very good. However, I am a bit confused, as it tastes, looks, and smells very similar to the Republic of Tea Milk Oolong, which boasts only natural milkiness. Both dried teas take the form of gnarled green knots with a huge amount of very enticing aroma. This Jin Xuan exhibits less variation in the coloring, with a more uniform dark green sheen, and the knots are also smaller in size. The Republic of Tea Milk Oolong came from China, not Taiwan, so I suppose that it should not be taken as “classic”, whereas this milk oolong from Teavivre appears to have come from Taiwan.

The most important question of all is this: how did I go my whole life until yesterday in a state of complete and utter milk oolong ignorance and (now I see) deficiency? This is a wonderful genre of tea, which I definitely intend to explore further, beginning with the unflavored milk oolong from Teavivre!

170 °F / 76 °C 2 min, 45 sec 3 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
Tamarindel

I know, right? Milk oolongs are like this whole secret tea genre.

Love them too!

sherapop

Seriously, Tamarindel and TheTeaFairy: it’s like a whole new tea universe for me! ;-)

TheTeaFairy

Try mandala, my favourite by far so far!!!

boychik

Mandala is the best imo

TheTeaFairy

Boychik, I so like to agree with you :-)

Scatterbrain

American Tea Room has a fantastic milk oolong too if you guys/gals want to explore it further. Mmm…

sherapop

Thanks for all of these recommendations, TheTeaFairy, boychik, and Scatterbrain!

Thank you to TeaTiff for this tea. I again did this pseudo gong fu cha in my 5oz finum cup, boiling as per the Teavivre site.

TIL that I really don’t like flavored milk oolongs. The milk flavor just tastes like spoiled milk to me. Awful.

But once I got beyond that, a few steeps in, this was decent. I liked the Mandala a lot better. That said, I’m really looking forward to the Gong Fu Tea milk oolong tomorrow.

I did a 5s rinse, and decided to try it since it smelled good. I actually liked it. Really creamy and milky. There was just a little bit of the flavor to it.

The first real steep at 25s was just AWFUL. EEEW. Terrible. I almost dumped it out and the leaves but I decided to drink it (it was only a few ounces) It tastes like sour, nasty milk to me. Just blech.

The second steep was 35s. It still tasted “off” to me, but a lot better than the first.

45s was much better , mostly the off flavor is gone. It tasted a lot more green to me, almost but not quite floral. I noted on this steep how beautiful the color was.

55s was a very nice steep. The off milk flavor is gone. This is still creamy, more floral and just a touch vegetal. I liked the green oolong flavor.

1:05 very nice. Ended very buttery. But nothing spectacular at the same time. Very weird.

1:15 This was my favorite infusion of them all. really creamy and buttery.
1:25 was similar but not as much flavor.

I tried one more steep but it was done by that point.

Yeah, this flavored one is not for me. I would probably have liked the unflavored version of this better, but I can tell it would not be one I would want to stock.

Oh happy day! Found one more sample packet than I thought I had of this. (This happens to me a lot, due to general absent-mindedness, but it never loses its thrill.) More milky-buttery-perfectly-balanced-against-the-oolong for me.

From reviews I’ve read, it sounds like some people object to having flavoring in their milk oolongs — and I admit, if you were expecting the unflavored kind, this one might come as a bit of a shock — but I’m no purist. Flavoring is fine by me, as long as it doesn’t taste like chemicals. This is a very natural flavoring.

I’d love to compare it to David’s milk oolong, but I am reluctant to buy a whole 50 grams of it, and I’m nowhere near a store. I know the David’s order form isn’t set up to request specific samples, but has anyone tried requesting them in the comments section of the form? They always send 3 samples with the order anyway, so I’d just as soon get the things I’m really curious about.

Flavors: Butter, Milk

A huge thanks to Angel at Teavivre for this generous sample!

This is the flavored version of the milk oolong. I have had a few flavored milk oolongs and every time I drink them I wonder what the actual flavor is because nothing about the milky creaminess seems to be actually enhanced relative to regular milk oolongs. I wonder if the flavored milk oolong are a regular green oolong with milk flavor and the milk oolong are a oolong picked at the right time to be a milk oolong? I need to do some reading and educate myself on the difference.

I get the buttery, I get the creamy, I get the sweetness out of this version. I also get a strong green oolong vegetal taste. I do not get the bitterness that I seem to associate with Jin Xuan. This is a very decent cup. Comparatively I am not sure I can compare to the other two unflavored oolongs, but since it is flavored this would probably be my last pick between the 3. When I place my order with Teavivre I will definitely try the unflavored to compare. Thank you again for allowing me to try this tea!

MzPriss

Hey Tiff – I have a couple of samples of the Zhi milk oolong, Golden Lily. I would be happy to send you if you would like to try it.

TeaVivre

This Flavored Jin Xuan Oolong Tea is produced by adding edible flavoring to accentuate the milk flavor. So the milk aroma of this Flavored Taiwan Jin Xuan Milk Oolong is stronger. It is better for people who like strong milk fragrance. However, the unflavored is special and unique because its milky aroma is natural, it is not manually added milk when process as other milk teas.

From the Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box #2

I have wanted to try a Milk Oolong for a while now, so when I saw that this and the unflavored Jin Xuan were in the tea box I was excited.

This is good. Really good. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it’s a pop of fruitiness followed by cream. The tea feels thick but not heavy, and it’s very smooth and silky. I’m surprised by how sweet this is, but at the same time it’s not too sweet which is good because it allows the buttery notes from the Oolong to be tasted. This was great from start to finish, and that’s just the first steep.

I’m probably condemning myself to a sleepless night, but I want to try several steeps of this and see where the flavors go. And then I have the other Milk Oolong to try. And then there are the 12 or so other teas in the tea box I still want to try. And then there’s….