Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Wood, Chocolate, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

I am really loving this tea! Thanks TeaVivre team! This gives a new meaning to malt, in my books. I was never a fan of malt, even as a child Whoppers disgusted me. But WOW this is such a delicious chocolate malt flavour in a tea. I’ve been steeping 5 pearls in 10-12 oz mugs, with 3 min steeps to start. This can go for at least 3 steeps, probably more. The flavour sticks around throughout the steeps as well and doesn’t get too watered down like some black teas do after the first steep. Very smoothe too. My favourite part about this tea has to be the fact that it’s AMAZING iced with some sweetner and lemon juice.

Dry Leaf: Has a sweet maltiness aroma.
Wet Leaf: Has a warm sweet malty aroma.
Liquor: Has a dark reddish color.
Taste:This tea has a smooth sweet malty type of flavor. As you continue to drink this tea it builds a slight sweetness in back of mouth. This teas leaves a pleasant stickiness or even a dryness on the tongue.
Overall Opinion: I give this tea a 90. This is a great full bodied tea. I think it would be great for the mornings.

Thank you again Angel for this sample!

I put the whole packet into my new glass teapot that my mom got for me. I am not sure how many pearls there were… perhaps 5-8? It brewed a nice light-medium amber. It smelled warm and roasted. Delicious! It tastes like a yunnan black tea. Delicious! I love the slight nutty and chocolate undertones. It doesn’t need sugar or milk at all. This was so good!

Oh my goodness. This is divine! For being full bodied, I’m amazed at how silky this tea is! I love the rich chocolatey and malty tones and aroma. The fact that absolutely zero astringency is present just adds to the exquisiteness . And even though this is a very “elegant” tea, I could actually handle drinking this on a regular basis, which is not true of many of the other black/dessert teas I have tried. Everyone should experience this tea at least once. It’s something I’m going to have a hard time forgetting.

I’ve had a smaller rolled yunnan tea before (rolled a bit smaller than a pea), but I wanted to try these out because they seem a great serving size for a small vessel.

I went in expecting great things, because I do love yunnan tea. I did one pearl for my 100ml gaiwan. Meant to do about three to four minutes, went a little over… Would have been fine with a shorter steep, though.

Definitely more on the peppery side. There’s still an undertone with a bit of sweetness, though.

I brewed this gong fu style according to the directions on Teavivre’s website. I enjoyed it a lot, it’s not bitter and a little chocolaty. I find it similar to Laoshan Black by Verdant.

Boiling

I’ve experimented with this a little to find my favorite steeping parameters, and I think 5 pieces is perfect. My favorite part is when it cools; the chocolate comes out a bit. If you like that flavor profile, you will probably like this tea. I didn’t find the cocoa notes very strong, but they were there. I like that this tea is not ‘in your face’. It’s a very pleasant tea to drink for that reason. Thank you Teavivre for the chance to try this tea! I’m very much enjoying finding black teas that I like!

Mmm thanks teavivre for the sample. Very neat looking tea pearls.
I used 4 pearls for the cup. Loved the slightly smokey toasty type flavour. Have enough pearls in my pack for one more small cup:)

Water: 8oz boiling

Leaves: Huge pearl

Steep: 2m 4-pearls with 1min rinse

Aroma: plain black tea aroma

Color: Dark brown

Taste: I didn’t like this tea at all it had a burnt taste.It also left an unpleasant after taste.

First of all, thank you so much Angel from Teavivre for the samples!

I have slowly begun to get into black tea but I am still new, so please be patient with me! This will be the first black I review.

The dry leaves were tightly wound large balls with a strong scent. I decided to do a rinse of these to loosen them up a little bit so I rinsed them for about 15 seconds.

I then gave them a 1 minute steep at about 212 degrees which unfurled a layer of the leaves partially. After the steep, the wet leaves produced a slight sweet molasses like sent. I have had a black tea that was described with a molasses taste and I did not like it, however, this was a way better smell to me. The tea was a medium gold, lighter than I was expecting and I could tell this was going to be different than I was thinking it would be like. The taste was an interesting warm flavor that carried a subtle dark chocolaty sweetness. This was a pleasant surprise! I had never taste a black quite like this one.

I decided to try to pull out more of the flavor and steeped this one for 2 minutes. This caused the last layer of leaves to unfurl completely, producing a dark gold liquid. This time the tea had more of the dry chocolate flavor with a slightly bitter after taste.

I wanted to play with the taste some more so I decided to steep it at 1:45 this time. This gave me the dark gold liquid again but more of the first steeps taste. This is definitely a tea that you can change the taste to your liking by managing the time and leaves well. I continued on to a 4th steep and could tell that it would resteep well at least one more time.