Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Wood, Chocolate, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

New to the Steepster community over and I figured now, when I just lost my computer and have taken over someone elses, would be a great time to post a thought here. I thoroughly dig the cocoa notes set forth by this grand black tea. And the length of the steep time does not bitter it up. A great morning tea!

Thanks to Teavivre for the sample.

I use seven pearls (a whole sample pack) per gong fu session with flash infusions. This is twice the amount suggested for gong fu brewing on Teavivre’s website, but I prefer my hongcha to be robust. The pearls are very well compacted and fairly consistent in size, but there are some that are much smaller than the others. A good amount of golden bud material can be seen in the layers of the pearl, much more so than those of Teavana.

I wasn’t expecting much from this tea, but as it turns out, it is actually pretty tasty and okay for lazy drinking. The liquor’s depth is nice, with a malty smoothness, and resounding “pure tea” flavor. The lengxiang (cold scent) in the empty cup is subtle, and has characteristics of roasted barley and cooked sugar. Infusions don’t move past five, though, and even that is pushing it. The aftertaste is weak and slightly drying. There is also a faint soapy flavor right on the opening sip and at the end of the finish and seems to be paired with a slightly oily texture, but it isn’t all that apparent unless focused on it.

Looking at the spent leaves, I notice that some seem over-processed. They are totally black, difficult to unroll, and have a “carbonized” look to them, similar to spent shu pu’ercha leaves.

205 °F / 96 °C

If only the taste of the first steep stayed…

The first one, when the tea is not yet uncurled and moistered eniugh, is simply godly. The taste is very interesting and complex.

Then… harshness kicks… and I am not sure it is controllable to produce anything comparable to 1st. And this turns it from godly to average… :(

This tea has a malty chocolate taste. It has a deep and rich flavor that is very satisfying.

205 °F / 96 °C

Smells malty and sweet in the bag. The taste for me is pretty much the same as the smell: malty with a little bit of sweetness in the aftertaste. Perhaps some earthiness as well? Sugar brings out honey-esque notes. I cold brewed the leftover leaves for iced tea and it’s good that way as well, nice and refreshing taste. I’m drinking it iced now and liking it more and more with each sip.

Chocolate! It tastes more like chocolate than any tea I’ve ever had that didn’t actually have chocolate in it. Six pearls was more than enough for two steeps of this rich, chocolatey, malty delight.

I got hooked on the Black Dragon Pearl from Teavana. It is actually one of my top 3 teas. I decided to try it from Teavivre since it is much more cost effective and the description is exactly the same. As soon as I opened it up I noticed the scent was a bit different. Visually the Teavivre and Teavana pearls look exactly the same so I figured it might be still taste the same. But no.

I really didn’t get much of the earthy malty flavor that I loved in the Teavana version. I tried so many different variations but I could not get it to taste anything close. The earthiness in the Teavivre brand tasted slightly pu’erish (very slightly) and I don’t like pu’er teas.

I gave up on comparing it to the Teavana version and just tried to enjoy it for what it was but it didn’t do anything for me. Now I have 3.5 ounces of tea to get rid of.

This was my first ever pearl tea and it seemed strange that it wasn’t in loose pieces when it started but looked sort of like black seaweed after it was steeped.
The biggest surprise to me was how smooth this tea was from the first taste. The first steep was only 1 minute and the color was very pale, but the second steep I left for 2 minutes and of course the color was deeper, but still it was a smooth as the first steep, but I did feel like it left a lingering taste on the back of my tongue that I couldn’t identify. I decided to do a third steep, but got distracted and it was left to steep for 5 minutes. Being in a hurry afterwards, I just poured the tea into a glass and later in the evening decided to try it with ice…what a surprise to find that it was great, and so much so that I might plan on doing a long 3rd steep again in the future to use for ice tea.

Used 6 pearls to 8 oz of water, came out extremely smooth, like chocolate. Check out a full review here http://www.examiner.com/review/teavivre-fenqing-dragon-pearl-black-tea-review

From Unflavored TTB

This is tasty! I’ve had the Adagio black pearls and this is much better. Caramelly, malt, sweet and some what licorice tasting.
I am, however being super lazy – I just dropped 5 pearls into my cup without using a tea strainer. I’ve been sick for days, I really don’t care. FREESTYLIN STEEPIN YO. I will have to get more of this tea sometime.

Shadowfall

Lol. I’ve had the Adagio pearls too and I actually prefer those more. These are more floral-y for me and not as malty, especially with the iced tea I made the other day. I brewed up multiple infusions then stuck it in the fridge to chill. I was kinda surprised at the perfume I got from it.

mj

Freestyle on! lol
I did not get licorice from this one at all thank goodness