Fengqing Dragon Pearl Black Tea

Baked Bread, Honey, Malt, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cocoa, Earth, Mineral, Toast, Wood, Chocolate, Raisins, Wet Earth, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: The leaves come from wild tea trees

Harvest time: March 29, 2013

Taste: Taste sweet and smooth, with a slight flavor of chocolate

Brew: 3-4 pieces for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Being a fully oxidised – or fermented – black tea, it does not have the same level of antioxidants that our White and Green teas have, however it is still a good source of these and so will also help reduce the risk of cancers and lessen the affects of aging. Black teas such as our Fengqing black also are considered to help prevent tooth decay and help lower your cholesterol levels.

About Teavivre View company

New to the Steepster community over and I figured now, when I just lost my computer and have taken over someone elses, would be a great time to post a thought here. I thoroughly dig the cocoa notes set forth by this grand black tea. And the length of the steep time does not bitter it up. A great morning tea!

Thanks to Teavivre for the sample.

I use seven pearls (a whole sample pack) per gong fu session with flash infusions. This is twice the amount suggested for gong fu brewing on Teavivre’s website, but I prefer my hongcha to be robust. The pearls are very well compacted and fairly consistent in size, but there are some that are much smaller than the others. A good amount of golden bud material can be seen in the layers of the pearl, much more so than those of Teavana.

I wasn’t expecting much from this tea, but as it turns out, it is actually pretty tasty and okay for lazy drinking. The liquor’s depth is nice, with a malty smoothness, and resounding “pure tea” flavor. The lengxiang (cold scent) in the empty cup is subtle, and has characteristics of roasted barley and cooked sugar. Infusions don’t move past five, though, and even that is pushing it. The aftertaste is weak and slightly drying. There is also a faint soapy flavor right on the opening sip and at the end of the finish and seems to be paired with a slightly oily texture, but it isn’t all that apparent unless focused on it.

Looking at the spent leaves, I notice that some seem over-processed. They are totally black, difficult to unroll, and have a “carbonized” look to them, similar to spent shu pu’ercha leaves.

205 °F / 96 °C

If only the taste of the first steep stayed…

The first one, when the tea is not yet uncurled and moistered eniugh, is simply godly. The taste is very interesting and complex.

Then… harshness kicks… and I am not sure it is controllable to produce anything comparable to 1st. And this turns it from godly to average… :(

This tea has a malty chocolate taste. It has a deep and rich flavor that is very satisfying.

205 °F / 96 °C

Smells malty and sweet in the bag. The taste for me is pretty much the same as the smell: malty with a little bit of sweetness in the aftertaste. Perhaps some earthiness as well? Sugar brings out honey-esque notes. I cold brewed the leftover leaves for iced tea and it’s good that way as well, nice and refreshing taste. I’m drinking it iced now and liking it more and more with each sip.

Chocolate! It tastes more like chocolate than any tea I’ve ever had that didn’t actually have chocolate in it. Six pearls was more than enough for two steeps of this rich, chocolatey, malty delight.

I got hooked on the Black Dragon Pearl from Teavana. It is actually one of my top 3 teas. I decided to try it from Teavivre since it is much more cost effective and the description is exactly the same. As soon as I opened it up I noticed the scent was a bit different. Visually the Teavivre and Teavana pearls look exactly the same so I figured it might be still taste the same. But no.

I really didn’t get much of the earthy malty flavor that I loved in the Teavana version. I tried so many different variations but I could not get it to taste anything close. The earthiness in the Teavivre brand tasted slightly pu’erish (very slightly) and I don’t like pu’er teas.

I gave up on comparing it to the Teavana version and just tried to enjoy it for what it was but it didn’t do anything for me. Now I have 3.5 ounces of tea to get rid of.

This was my first ever pearl tea and it seemed strange that it wasn’t in loose pieces when it started but looked sort of like black seaweed after it was steeped.
The biggest surprise to me was how smooth this tea was from the first taste. The first steep was only 1 minute and the color was very pale, but the second steep I left for 2 minutes and of course the color was deeper, but still it was a smooth as the first steep, but I did feel like it left a lingering taste on the back of my tongue that I couldn’t identify. I decided to do a third steep, but got distracted and it was left to steep for 5 minutes. Being in a hurry afterwards, I just poured the tea into a glass and later in the evening decided to try it with ice…what a surprise to find that it was great, and so much so that I might plan on doing a long 3rd steep again in the future to use for ice tea.

Used 6 pearls to 8 oz of water, came out extremely smooth, like chocolate. Check out a full review here http://www.examiner.com/review/teavivre-fenqing-dragon-pearl-black-tea-review

Thanks to the lovely Cameron B for sharing this tea with me!

Method: 4 balls, 6 oz, 200 degrees, 5 min, banko houhin (Eeeeee!!!!)

Aroma: smells a little malty and roasty. I catch a little hint of cocoa, too.

Flavor: I think it’s pretty solid. It has a nice weight, and a mild malty taste. It only has a bare hint of bitterness, and a slight astringent finish. The flavor lingers nicely. I think this would be a great candidate for a little maple booster, but I didn’t try that yet.

I ended up doing two steeps blended into one mug because the leaves really sucked up a lot of water. Both were 5 minutes long. To sum up – I wouldn’t kick this one out of bed. LOL

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 15 sec 4 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cameron B.

Ooh is that the cute little pot that you just seasoned? :D

Sarsonator

Indeed! That’s my new pot for unflavored black teas. So this was my first one in the new pot. Hooray!

Cameron B.

So very cute, I can’t wait to get into teaware eventually!

Sarsonator

It’s a whole new addiction!!! But super fun. :)

MzPriss

Sars – the vanilla pot is full of win!

Sarsonator

My vanilla pot will be here Monday!!!! Can’t wait!!!! Hhhm. I guess I’ll use GO to season that one… Which did you use?

MzPriss

GO of course! I highly recommend that

I’m on it!!!

TheTeaFairy

I used GO also, and it’s FANTASTIC!!!!

Sarsonator

I’m really interested to try the vanilla teas in the banko clay, and I wonder if the clay type had any influence here. I keep reading that this type of clay makes astringency lighter, makes tea sweeter, and unifies the flavors.

It just seems like a lot of claims! But if you’re starting with quality tea, maybe there’s something to it. I’ll probably season the vanilla pot and do a taste test with the banko vs regular glazed porcelain.

Of course, I’ll be using GO for that taste test! Speaking of which… I need to order more!!!

MzPriss

I will tell you, it hurt my feelings a little bit to use that much GO for seasoning – but I look at it as an investment in the future. After seasoning the Tea Hobbit way, in a bath over a warmer for several hours, I decided it was COMPLETELY worth it. I LOVE the way the Go tastes in the vanilla seasoned pot. And I keep thinking about how good it is now and how much better it will just keep getting. I think the warmer is key.

Sarsonator

I did the unflavored black pot on the stove on low heat yesterday for 2.5 hours or so. worked great!!!!