Taiwan Monkey Picked (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Peach, Creamy, Nutty, Roasted, Baked Bread, Cream, Flowers, Honey
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I think this was my favorite tea of all the ones we drank today. I was still eating my peach dumplings when this one was poured and my first sip made me grrrrowl with happy tea pleasure. Wow,...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1812 tasting notes
  • “Yet another of my free samples from Teavivre... thanks so much for the opportunity to try all these teas! I really consider Teavivre to have greatly contributed to my tea education with all of...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1933 tasting notes
  • “*Thankyou Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample!* I used 1.5 teaspoons Colour: yellow/amber Dry leaf smell: overwhelmingly like spinach.....I was pretty worried at this point because I...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 802 tasting notes
  • “Seriously, who could resist trying a tea with this clever name? My latest round of samples arrived yesterday. (Yeah!) I did not intend to break into them this soon, but they were there. Well you...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1293 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lishan, Taizhong, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 13, 2013

Taste: Baked Taste with a smoothly and soft flavor

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Monkey Picked Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

I feel that maybe I am late to the party reviewing this one, but it’s the 4th of July and I actually have the day off. I just finished roasting some Sumatra Mandheling coffee beans and the wife and little man are both napping so it’s tea time. As far as flavor goes I don’t notice any difference between Monkey picked and non Monkey picked Ti Guan Yin. Not to say it’s bad because I have yet to meet a Ti Guan Yin that I didn’t like. There’s maybe a little more pronounced flavor. The somewhat roasted, hint of honey, hint of flower, I think a little like olive oil flavor. I am a happy camper right now.

Man did these tea leaves dance… and boy it was beautiful! They unwhirled and uncurled so beautifully as if dancing to an elegant ballet. The steep liquor smelled super roasted and a bit vegetal and buttery. Sip after sip, the butteriness, nuttiness, and creaminess tantalized my taste buds even more. Much to my delight, the roasted flavor did not take over the whole cup and merely complimented all the other flavors. What a lovely tea.
I’m not always in the mood for an oolong, but this one is definitely a comforting one. Delicious!

Thank you, again, Teavivre for this sample. Mmmm.

Flavors: Creamy, Nutty, Roasted

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I have long been on a quest to find a Monkey Picked oolong as good as the one at Teavana that I am in love with. This one is definitely the closest I’ve found so far. Anddd it’s cheaper than Teavana too-which is always a plus :P I like enough teas from Teavana already, I don’t need to waste all my money there XD
But yeah, definitely a good tea! :D

Cameron B.

It’s weird, I don’t think I ever tried a straight tea from Teavana when I lived near a store – I always got flavored. So I honestly have no idea what their quality is like. I’m glad you found a cheaper version though. :)

Ost

I think that Teavana is better for flavored teas than straight ones xD But you should totally try this tea if you ever order from Teavivre! So good!

Lariel

I really like black and oolong teas I’ve gotten from Teavivre.

After reading a post by Sherapop challenging herself to review all her existing teas, I updated my cupboard and discovered that I’ve been very lax in posting reviews on Steepster. Instead, I’ve been posting cryptic notes in a spreadsheet.

So, here is a review of a tea I’ve been enjoying for more than a year, finally posted.

1st (1.5 min): Rich aroma of fruit, with hints of spice and veggie. The taste is mostly spice, but with hints of fruit and flower. The finish starts out fruity, but then seems to move back and forth between fruit and spice, ending up tannic. As I sip, the various flavors interact, coming to the fore one at a time. A very interesting cup.

2nd steep (1 min): Nose has the same flavors as before, but is better integrated. Taste is dominated by wood (cedar I think) and opens up into a really big finish. There is some fruit behind the wood.

Today I would rate this tea a 92, but on prior occasions I’ve had a hard time finding the fruit, so I’m going to post my average rating, weighted toward more recent tastings, which is an 89.

190 °F / 87 °C 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML

This is another one from my Teavivre sampler—thanks again, Angel! Unfortunately, it has that typical green oolong flavor I don’t really care for—quite floral, but in more of a leafy way than a blossomy one. I will say that the floral here is less extreme than in some other green oolongs I’ve tried, so points for that anyway. It’s still strong enough that it dominates the flavor profile for me, though—I wish I was getting some of the nut, cream, and grain notes mentioned in other reviews but I can’t really say I am. I’m sure this is a fine specimen of TGY, and I’m finishing my cup (which is not always the case with green oolongs)—but it’s just not something I’d purchase, due entirely to personal preference.

This is one of the many samples I got from Teavivre and today I finally decided to try it out. I put in a bit less leaf than usual, since I wanted to get another steep from the remaining sample. The color of the liquor was a light amber and it smells like, well… Oolong tea. Very closely resembles gunpowder green tea (which is one of my favourite teas), but once you taste it, you can notice some differences such as this one being less vegetal but mildly floral instead. I can appreciate the slightly baked flavour as well. Overall, I think it’s a fantastic tea to have after meals.

Wow! This is a great Tie Guan Yin!!! It is really balanced with more than just floral notes!!!!!! It has notes of cream, honey, and muffin or bread along with a subtle floral note.
This is the tastiest Tie Guan Yin I have had. I am loving the teas from Teavivre,,,they have all been very delicious and high quality!!!
Thank u Terri Harplady & Teavivre for this sample!!!!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cream, Flowers, Honey

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

a great oolong tea! i recommend you buy this.

Another sample sipdown. Used a little more leaf this time just because there wasn’t enough left to brew again. Today, I am getting a strong honey note at the end that I didn’t really notice before. I think this may be my favorite of the oolong samples that Teavivre sent me.

Medium to light Oolong that is yellowish orange in color and has a baked vegetable aroma. Sweet baked apple and grassy vegetal flavor. This tea has a sweet and savory taste that I find excellent.

205 °F / 96 °C