Taiwan Monkey Picked (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Fruity, Roasted, Sweet, Floral, Vegetal, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Grass, Honey, Toasted Rice, Peach, Creamy, Nutty, Baked Bread, Cream, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I think this was my favorite tea of all the ones we drank today. I was still eating my peach dumplings when this one was poured and my first sip made me grrrrowl with happy tea pleasure. Wow,...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2048 tasting notes
  • “Yet another of my free samples from Teavivre… thanks so much for the opportunity to try all these teas! I really consider Teavivre to have greatly contributed to my tea education with all of...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • Thankyou Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample! I used 1.5 teaspoons Colour: yellow/amber Dry leaf smell: overwhelmingly like spinach…..I was...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes
  • “Seriously, who could resist trying a tea with this clever name? My latest round of samples arrived yesterday. (Yeah!) I did not intend to break into them this soon, but they were there. Well you...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1571 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lishan, Taizhong, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Baked Taste with a smoothly and soft flavor

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Monkey Picked Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

I told my wife what was going on with my neck/shoulder and she came home from work to make me go to emerg. >.

Cameron B.

Love this one! The Superfine Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding is yummy too. :)

When I was packing up, all in a whirlwind, before catching the plane here, I hectically grabbed a bunch of random Teavivre packets, aiming for the ones I figured I didn’t try yet. Turns out I already did try this one! But no complaints since it’s quite good anyway.

The scent of the dry leaf fools me into thinking that this is going to be monstrously vegetal but luckily isn’t. There’s a fresh floral, yet nutty creaminess here that makes this particular oolong a nice neutral one to grab when you’re not really sure what you want in an oolong at that moment. It’s like a balanced smörgåsbord of various notes.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooh! Sounds really lovely!

Fjellrev

It totally is! Not sure if I’d buy it, but it makes for a nice relaxing cup.

This very lightly roasted Oolong , I love it. It is exquisite.

Dark green oolong with rolled leaves go for 5 minutes into aboiling water.
The wet leaves look terribly like spinach branchs.

With the taste everything changes. Here is a festival of flavours . Peach succeeds honey, puffed rice to nuts and warm bread… It has also floral notes , characteristic of Tieguanyin but I prefer them in this tea vs the high mountain Oolong tea because these notes are not isolated here.

The texture is also interesting : fluid, light yet creamy , mellow . I really really love this tea.

I cannot resist to reproduce here what Teavivre explains about the name of this tea :
" Legend has it that the cliff is too abrupt for people to pick the Oolong tea leaves. Therefore, monkey is trained to climb the cliff and help tea farmers pick the Oolong tea leaves. Another saying goes that tea farmers need to tie a rope around the waist during the process of picking, just like a monkey. Hence obtains its name"

Lovely tea that offers a very pale yellow liquid.

You can see pics of my session here :http://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/taiwan-monkey-picked-ma-liu-mie-tie-guan-yin-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Cameron B.

I love this one! I’m becoming quite attached to these light-medium roast oolongs. :)

Ysaurella

it is absolutely a fantastic medium roasted Oolong

I last drank this last mid-November of 2014. This note is for educational purposes. Ratings won’t be deleted to keep the integrity of my first tasting note.

Method: gongfu session with a ceramic gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 100, 120.

The dry leaf and wet leaf aromas smell roasted and bitter, of sauteed dark greens. In contrast, the liquor aroma gives off strawberries.

The liquor has a golden yellow. Full-bodied. The effect feels heavy (as opposed to, say, Teavivre’s Da Yu Ling, which makes me feel energized). The first infusion has a silky and thick texture. The flavor notes are sweet like strawberries first first, then, later, like hard candy, which then becomes flower-like. There is a milk candy aftertaste that is persistent throughout the entire session.

The second infusion is similar overall but tastes more roasted and has notes of tart berries. Three and four: a floral sweetness, also just as tart, though. Five, six, and seven are even sweeter, a little less tart and more flower. Drying mouth. Finally, eight tastes mostly like the milk candy.

How this differs from last time: I stored this poorly. Oh heck, I really didn’t even “store” it. That accounts for the stronger tartness. Can’t really review the quality because of this.

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Flyawaybirdie

I think you might have meant mid November of another year, seeing as we’re in Aug of 2015…

KiwiDelight

Ugghhh I thought I had edited that before I posted xD

This is the second of my free oolong samples from TeaVivre. I must say, I am somewhat perplexed by the naming of tie guan yin teas. I find it hard to know which ones are roasted and which aren’t, as well as the level of oxidation. Oh well! I can tell this one is roasted by the color and scent of the dry leaves. The pellets are very irregular and seem loosely rolled, and the color is a medium green/brown. Dry scent reminds me of roasted grains and has a touch of sweetness and grassiness.

Once steeped, this tea’s aroma is heavenly. I am definitely reminded of Gui Fei. There’s a rich roasty aroma along with sweet apple notes. Mm, this tea is so comforting. The main event is the soft, but rich flavor of roasted grain or leaves. Then there’s a lovely sweet element that vaguely reminds me of golden delicious apples combined with wildflower honey. The sweetness lingers into the aftertaste where it’s joined by the lightest, most refreshing floral element and a hint of roasty flavor. Yum, I’m in love!

Flavors: Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Grain, Grass, Honey, Roasted, Toasted Rice

Very nice tea from TeaVivre. My first Oolong tasting, it is my after lunch tea today. I brew the Gaiwan style, it is my fav way to brew tea now. Love the brightness of the open leaves and it has a grassy smell. I am at my 4th steep now and can still taste the peach. The color is yellow-orange. My son had a cup and said that it was a fancy tea. I want to educate him about tea. We read where it was from. We will learn together. Now I have to buy my first Gaiwan pot. It will be easier to brew in it than using a cup and a mesh strainer. Thanks TeaVivre again for an amazing tea experience on a cool august day here in Ontario!

Flavors: Peach

Another fortuitous Teavivre sample from Virginia! The leaves are green, brown and rolled. I like oolongs better when they’re rolled. Idk why. It’s completely superficial, but that’s the way it is with me lol.

In my notes (this is still part of my backlog), I have “leaves smell good!” Thanks past MJ, that’s soooo helpful :-/. From what I remember, I was impressed with how fresh this tea smelled. It’s a very subtle light yellow-green and has a great mouthfeel. I steeped it 15/15/30/40 sec.

1st steep: very creamy with a honey sweet finish and a hint of mineral

2nd steep: slightly less creamy with a more floral character. A slight astringency emerges

3rd steep: Total flip-flop from the last steep! The mineral taste has fled and the creaminess is back.

4th steep: repeat of the 3rd. Yum :)

KiwiDelight

It’s aesthetic taste :)

mj

Haha it is!

I bought an oolong sampler variety with my order, of course all of them sound amazing. I wanted a roasted oolong today which I thought this was, but looking at the bright jade green bundles, I don’t think so. The fragrance of the leaves convinced me I wanted this one anyway: very sweet, very milky and buttery. I used 2 1/2 teaspoons of leaves, as that was an entire sample pouch (Teavivre suggests 2-3 teaspoons). The flavor suggests I did not overleaf this one in my 12 ounce mug. I REALLY feel like I have found the perfect way to steep these types of oolongs, as the Iron Goddess is really nice this way as well, but I know all oolongs have different steeping parameters with perfect results. I simply just want to try all of my oolongs this way as I definitely haven’t been rinsing, using boiling water, using two (or more) teaspoons or steeping for such a short time:

Steep #1 // just boiled // rinse // 1 min steep
The flavor is a wispy mystery: I can’t quite pin down what I’m tasting. It is a standard delicious oolong! Definitely not astringent, so this is the way to go with this oolong. At first, the top of the mug is vegetal but very buttery and milky, just not as milky as an actual milk oolong. I think I’m getting hints of peach or pineapple… I’m not sure which. This is a very sweet oolong though.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 2 min
A two minute steep time was a little too much for this one, not anything to ruin the cup, just some tanginess that shouldn’t have been there. I think 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 minutes would have been better. The color of the cup is neon yellow, a nutty flavor, I still can’t tell if the fruit flavor is pineapple or peach but there is still a strong butter flavor, but much less sweet and milky this time.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 2 min
Another juicy fresh cup! No astringency here at all this time around, just a bright cup of oolong. I like this one, but the explosion of flowers that is Teavivre’s Iron Goddess TiGuanYin is my favorite by far!

Happy Birthday to me …..Happy Birthday to me….well it was yesterday, but when you work 6 day work weeks celebration has to wait. I’m finally getting to relax and Veggietales with the kids. Just a great quality Oolong. As we’re watching my seven year old asks if she can have a hippopotamus for Christmas.

TeaBrat

Happy Birthday :)

K S

Hope you said yes to the hippopotamus… and happy birthday!

Man did these tea leaves dance… and boy it was beautiful! They unwhirled and uncurled so beautifully as if dancing to an elegant ballet. The steep liquor smelled super roasted and a bit vegetal and buttery. Sip after sip, the butteriness, nuttiness, and creaminess tantalized my taste buds even more. Much to my delight, the roasted flavor did not take over the whole cup and merely complimented all the other flavors. What a lovely tea.
I’m not always in the mood for an oolong, but this one is definitely a comforting one. Delicious!

Thank you, again, Teavivre for this sample. Mmmm.

Flavors: Creamy, Nutty, Roasted