Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea (Yan Xun Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong)

Black Tea Leaves
Smoke, Toffee, Vanilla, Earth, Pine, Scotch, Wood, Leather, Plums, Sweet, Burnt, Cedar, Tar, Malt, Molasses, Peanut, Ash, Tobacco, Campfire
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Scott

2 Images

• “Not really ready to review this, just giving more of an update. My tea and my kettle set up were the last things I removed from office. I had two grocery sacks of tea – mostly samples. This...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1520 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from this morning: i realized I hadn’t tealogged this one today when my youngest daughter walked by and said, with great depth of feeling, "Mom, we have Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1973 tasting notes
  • Thank you Teavivre for this tea sample! Ya’ll know I love me some Lapsang Souchong…Amen! (left over accent from living in Texas years ago!…long story…)...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “This is what I took to work today. We’re getting the outer edges of Hurricane Sandy, so the world outside is gray, cold, and very windy. The perfect day for something that smells and tastes...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 513 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi Mountain, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Da Bai Hao (Pekoe)

Harvest time: May 02, 2013

Taste: smoked taste, mellow, sweet aftertaste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Black teas contain antioxidants, which help in the prevention of some cancers and help reduce the affects of aging that is caused by free radicals. They can also reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks due to natural chemicals that reduce cholesterol.

About Teavivre View company

This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.
Dry Leaf: Had a sweet and smokey pine aroma.
Wet Leaf: Had the smokey pine aroma.
Liquor: Had a bright and beautiful reddish brown color.
Taste: Had a perfect amount of the pine smoke flavor. This tea was smooth and not bitter at all. The soup was more on the watery side.
Overall Opinion:I give this tea a 89. This tea I believe is a love it or hate it type of tea. I find it very unique. This tea is very smooth and no bitterness. The tea reminds me of sitting by a nice campfire. The only thing I would want from this tea is more texture to the tea soup and that cooling effect you get in the after taste of higher quality Lapsang Souchongs. Again, can not be to hard on this tea since it is not overly smokey and so smooth with a pinch of sweetness.
Vessel: SAMA DOYO Gongfu/Kungfu Teapot. I used 7 grams of leaf for 220ml or approx. 7oz. water in the inner cup of pot.

We had some friends over tonight, and one of them was from the Netherlands. I brought this out for him to sniff, and he immediately knew exactly what it was, which made me so happy to know there are more people like me! :) Although he pronounced it more like Lapsang Soo-Wong, which may be the correct way to pronounce it, I have no idea. He picked this out to drink and was very happy with it!

Backlog from last night. Or was it two nights ago? I don’t remember.

Anyway, I got this as a sample from TeaVivre ages ago and have finally gotten around to trying it out. Thanks, Angel and Teavivre!

This is going to be a short note since I didn’t write anything down whichever night I had this.

Smoky, but less so than some other lapsang souchongs I’ve had. Most of the smokiness seems to be in the smell. Smooth, malty, with a bit of sweetness that becomes more pronounced as it cools. Very enjoyable with the fall weather!

Thanks again, Angel and Teavivre!

I’ve never tried a Lapsang Souchong until this one that came as part of the black tea sampler I purchased. Since the description said smoky, I assumed it would not be “my cup of tea” but was pleasantly surprised at how the smoky flavor was just right, not overwhelming the tea flavor. It is a subtle and smooth cup of tea. It would probably never be an everyday cup for me, but that’s a matter of personal taste, not quality. I can envision when cooler weather arrives in the fall,that this would be a very enjoyable cup to savor.

A new encounter for me so m expectation are a bit high.

the smell inside bag was very smoky, the dry leaves smelled very good, dark and campfire like, just like a goos Lapsang. Using 2tsp of leaves into my teapot for making a cup, and used the suggested time and steep temp. The brew was as expected smoky in flavor, still powerful it filled my senses.

So I scooped out 2 tsp of leaves and put it in my gaiwan, then adding the hot water at the suggested 90 c. temperature. Sniffing the tea liquor as it brewed, the scent of smoke is still pretty powerful, perfect.

My first sip was lighter than the smell earthy, slightly smoky, slightly sweet and a velvety feel. a slight cocoa aftertaste reminiscent of the aroma, very nice touch.

In all it was a very good Lapsang, that i enjoyed. classic but just different enough to be engaging, and work its way into my cupboard.

a great black tea! i love the campfire like taste :D like eating hotdogs cooked over a campfire

Brewed with a gongfu glass tea pot.
Steeping parameters: No rinse. 30 seconds, 45, 60, 120

This would be my second Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong, the first being from Wegman’s years ago. From the dry leaf alone I can tell that this one is of much better quality. Short and twisty, unbroken, they mostly are very dark – near black – peppered with a few golden leaves. They smell of burned conifer wood and smoke. The wet leaf aroma, of barbecued spare ribs. A hint of vanilla rises from the liquor.

Reddish in color, clear, and smoothly textured, it tastes much like it smells, and then some, including a pungent yet mellow smoky meat flavor. This tea leaves behind a sweet barbecue sauce aftertaste and a dry throat.

No rating, but recommended since I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t have this kind of tea often, but this is one I would go to if I wanted something different and smoky.

195 °F / 90 °C 7 g 6 OZ / 177 ML
Cwyn

I just used my leftover smoky souchong leaves for a rub on roasted chicken legs. They were amazing.

KiwiDelight

That sure sounds delicious! Never considered using leftover tea leaf for meat marinade.

This tea is a complete mouth/nose experience. Unlike other Lapsang Souchongs I’ve had (mostly bagged), the smoke flavor doesn’t overwhelm the smooth, sweet black tea base. Instead, you get the satisfying smokiness from the smell, from the breath out, and from a subtle, lingering aftertaste.

Save this tea for non-cold or -allergy season – you don’t want anything to get in between you and the smell. Also, stay away from scented lotions on your hands when drinking, nothing spoils this experience like fake vanilla/peach/lemon/whatever.

Flavors: Smoke, Toffee, Vanilla

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

I am disgracefully behind in writing tasting notes. I have many, many wonderful samples from my tea friends, that I really need to get sipping.

This one came my way from dex, don’t even ask how long ago. I don’t remember.

This style of tea I really need to be in the mood for. When I drank it a couple of days ago, it was windy and chilly. The perfect day for a warm comforting tea. Sometimes in this type of tea, the smoke it too much for me, and in those cases I usually use it for my home-made pea soup for a smoky flavour in lieu of bacon. This tea, however, was nicely smoky. I added a splash of maple syrup, recommended by another steepster member, and it made for a delicious sweet smoky cup.

Thanks for the sample, dex!

mrmopar

Aren’t we all behind on that..

Dexter

Just happy to see you back logging teas!! :))

Agreed – Welcome back!

scribbles

Thanks you all!! Happy to be back! Stressy environment be gone :)

looseTman

Stressy environment be gone :)
Congrat’s – That must be such a big relief!

looseTman

mrmopar, You’re very kind as always! I suspect you’re correct that this is a common dilemma due to the many favorite generous Steepster tea suppliers as well as Steepster members plus the many frequent sales that are just too good to pass up. And then there’s life: family, jobs, medical issues, … etc. Is it any wonder?

Kirkoneill1988

i not sure if i tried theirs before. i tried uptons’ version and its awesome

1900 tasting notes

This is a really nice lapsang! It’s smoky, but not too smoky… and it tastes SUPER GREAT with maple whipped cream.

https://instagram.com/p/00gBKwR5Dt/ (In Dexter’s handmade cup! Thanks so much! :D )

1.5 tsp in 10 oz, 2:45, 195F)

195 °F / 90 °C 2 min, 45 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML
Tealizzy

We’re tea twins today! Ha!

beelicious

Maple whipped cream sounds absolutely amazing!!

OMGsrsly

Awesome! :D I went for this because it’s pouring out. Still contemplating the Farmer’s Market, but… so much rain.

Dexter

Maple whipped cream sounds fantastic. Happy that you found a use for the bowl :)

OMGsrsly

beelicious, maple whipped cream is just cream whipped with a little maple syrup. How much depends on how sweet you want it!

And of course I found a use for the bowl, Dex! :)

Indigobloom

whaaaaaat?! I need to learn how to make that :P

caile

Looks yum! Gorgeous cup too! :)