Lapsang Souchong Smoky Black Tea (Yan Xun Zheng Shan Xiao Zhong)

Black Tea Leaves
Ash, Leather, Pine, Tobacco
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Scott

2 Images

• “Not really ready to review this, just giving more of an update. My tea and my kettle set up were the last things I removed from office. I had two grocery sacks of tea - mostly samples. This morning...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1160 tasting notes
  • “Backlogging from this morning: i realized I hadn't tealogged this one today when my youngest daughter walked by and said, with great depth of feeling, "Mom, we have GOT to get some more of that...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1769 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Teavivre for this tea sample!* Ya'll know I love me some Lapsang Souchong...Amen! (left over accent from living in Texas years ago!...long story...) When I saw everyone receiving the...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 672 tasting notes
  • “This is what I took to work today. We're getting the outer edges of Hurricane Sandy, so the world outside is gray, cold, and very windy. The perfect day for something that smells and tastes of...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 457 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Wuyi Mountain, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Da Bai Hao (Pekoe)

Harvest time: May 02, 2013

Taste: smoked taste, mellow, sweet aftertaste

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Black teas contain antioxidants, which help in the prevention of some cancers and help reduce the affects of aging that is caused by free radicals. They can also reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks due to natural chemicals that reduce cholesterol.

About Teavivre View company

This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.
Dry Leaf: Had a sweet and smokey pine aroma.
Wet Leaf: Had the smokey pine aroma.
Liquor: Had a bright and beautiful reddish brown color.
Taste: Had a perfect amount of the pine smoke flavor. This tea was smooth and not bitter at all. The soup was more on the watery side.
Overall Opinion:I give this tea a 89. This tea I believe is a love it or hate it type of tea. I find it very unique. This tea is very smooth and no bitterness. The tea reminds me of sitting by a nice campfire. The only thing I would want from this tea is more texture to the tea soup and that cooling effect you get in the after taste of higher quality Lapsang Souchongs. Again, can not be to hard on this tea since it is not overly smokey and so smooth with a pinch of sweetness.
Vessel: SAMA DOYO Gongfu/Kungfu Teapot. I used 7 grams of leaf for 220ml or approx. 7oz. water in the inner cup of pot.

We had some friends over tonight, and one of them was from the Netherlands. I brought this out for him to sniff, and he immediately knew exactly what it was, which made me so happy to know there are more people like me! :) Although he pronounced it more like Lapsang Soo-Wong, which may be the correct way to pronounce it, I have no idea. He picked this out to drink and was very happy with it!

Backlog from last night. Or was it two nights ago? I don’t remember.

Anyway, I got this as a sample from TeaVivre ages ago and have finally gotten around to trying it out. Thanks, Angel and Teavivre!

This is going to be a short note since I didn’t write anything down whichever night I had this.

Smoky, but less so than some other lapsang souchongs I’ve had. Most of the smokiness seems to be in the smell. Smooth, malty, with a bit of sweetness that becomes more pronounced as it cools. Very enjoyable with the fall weather!

Thanks again, Angel and Teavivre!

I’ve never tried a Lapsang Souchong until this one that came as part of the black tea sampler I purchased. Since the description said smoky, I assumed it would not be “my cup of tea” but was pleasantly surprised at how the smoky flavor was just right, not overwhelming the tea flavor. It is a subtle and smooth cup of tea. It would probably never be an everyday cup for me, but that’s a matter of personal taste, not quality. I can envision when cooler weather arrives in the fall,that this would be a very enjoyable cup to savor.

A new encounter for me so m expectation are a bit high.

the smell inside bag was very smoky, the dry leaves smelled very good, dark and campfire like, just like a goos Lapsang. Using 2tsp of leaves into my teapot for making a cup, and used the suggested time and steep temp. The brew was as expected smoky in flavor, still powerful it filled my senses.

So I scooped out 2 tsp of leaves and put it in my gaiwan, then adding the hot water at the suggested 90 c. temperature. Sniffing the tea liquor as it brewed, the scent of smoke is still pretty powerful, perfect.

My first sip was lighter than the smell earthy, slightly smoky, slightly sweet and a velvety feel. a slight cocoa aftertaste reminiscent of the aroma, very nice touch.

In all it was a very good Lapsang, that i enjoyed. classic but just different enough to be engaging, and work its way into my cupboard.

a great black tea! i love the campfire like taste :D like eating hotdogs cooked over a campfire

Piney smokey aroma like a dying camp fire. Taste smokey and sweet with a little bit of pine flavor. The smokiness is not overpowering and it does not drown out all the other flavors, which I find happens in most Lapsang Souchong teas that I have tried. It is definitely the best Lapsang Souchong that I have tasted, but I have not drank too many and I do not seek them out.

Many thanks to Teavivre for their generosity in sending these samples.

I certainly knew what I was getting into, but this still surprised me when I opened the sample pouch and got hit by an incredibly strong pine scent. So strong, in fact, that I feared I wouldn’t enjoy this, but, as is the norm with every Teavivre tea I’ve tried, this is quite enjoyable. Strongly tastes of pine and smoke with a sweet flavor following the smokiness.

Not a tea for everybody, and not a tea for everyday, but highly recommended for those that like smokey teas.

195 °F / 90 °C