Taiwan Ginseng (Lan Gui Ren) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hubby and I drank a whole lot of steeps of this tonight. A single teaspoon in my little glass pot and over a liter of water, and it just kept giving with each resteep. We are drinking this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1858 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this one after quite some time. For some reason, I have developed a strong liking to Ginseng Oolong. Maybe, it's because my taste are still developing. It's possible, this development is...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 135 tasting notes
  • “Another Teavivre tea for me! This tea is really great for when I'm not feeling my best. It has a lot of sweet and roasted notes. It is super easy to make, so I can ask my husband to prepare it...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 539 tasting notes
  • “I woke up very bleary this morning, unexpectedly, and actually drank _coffee_ for the first time in a long time. But as late morning begins to drag on towards lunch, it is time to settle into...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Township, Nan Tou County, Taiwan

Ingredients: Si Chi Chun (Four Season Oolong)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Clear and fresh aroma and rich fluid under tongue, sweet and fresh flavor, strong aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks.

About Teavivre View company

I really like this combination. I was just reading today about the weight loss benefits of oolong (helps to burn calories faster, according to the poster in a local shop, by increasing energy expenditure (EE)). I suppose this is why I typically was served oolong tea while practicing t’ai chi back in the day. But I digress.

I don’t tend to be that into the taste of ginseng, but it goes quite well with oolong actually. The result really, really reminds me of Tulsi (holy basil) tea, if you’ve ever had that. It’s herbal and a bit grassy, tasting predominantly of hay, or fresh straw. If this sounds off-putting, give it a shot, because I am enjoying this and finding it refreshing even on another abysmally hot Texas day. Woo, ginseng power!

I’ve only tried ginseng oolong once before, when I received it as a sample in an ebay order. But during that tea session my husband tried it and instantly fell in love with it’s unique aroma. Maybe it is because we live in Canada, but we really have not been exposed to the ginseng flavour before. So our first encounter with it was full of exotic charm.

So I was delighted to see that Teavivre was selling ginseng oolong. I have been wanting to place an order for more of their teas lately, and this one got added to our latest one. (As a note, I am also receiving some samples in the future. Like always, I mention in tasting notes whenever I am reviewing free samples)

Moving onto drinking the stuff;

The first steep is good, not too overwhelming. Nice sweet almost licorice-like flavour from the ginseng hits the roof of my mouth and the back of my throat. What I can taste of the oolong base is nice, subtle.

Second steep is still quite nice, I like the extra short steeps to get just hints of ginseng in each cup. It has a powerful effect on me, so I’d rather not steep it all out in one long brew. And with each of these short steeps, I get a bolder ginseng flavour at the back of my throat. Which is a nice sensation. :)

Third steep continued to get more intense, and looking inside the gaiwan the leaves have yet to completely unfurl.

Fourth to sixth steeps had consistent flavour. I’ll end my tasting note here even though I will be resteeping this throughout the day.

To be honest, I did not have high expectations with this tea. I’m not sure how you could screw up oolong + ginseng. Although now that I say that I am sure there are bad examples out there!
Anyway, I quite liked Teavivre’s ginseng oolong and I’m sure my husband will be delighted to take this to work.

100ml gaiwan, 1 generous tsp, 6+ steeps (rinse, short steeps starting at 3s-ish and increasing slightly)

Boiling

Thank you Teavivre for this sample.
I had a long day in the lab yesterday (and today.. and tomorrow..) working on my research project.. and came home to find a parcel notification.
This was followed by an immediate email from Angel telling me to check my mailbox and go pick up my parcel. Some people do have lives… and sometimes the post office closes after you finally get home from a long days work. I do not appreciate this urgency. Especially when I paid for tea from them only a day or two after accepting their offer for samples, only to have it not even trackable in Canada yet (‘sent’ one month ago to date). Perhaps they should be more concerned about that instead?

Anyways. Onto this tea.

2 minutes, 100˚C Sweet non-identifiable flavour in the mid-end sip. I take this to be the ginseng. Almost a black licorice flavour actually.. anise/fennel.. when breathing in after a sip. It takes a few sips to understand the flavour, but I enjoy it a lot. It’s almost tongue-coating.. The oolong definitely tastes oxidized, with a sweet and nutty flavour to it. Really lovely.

3 minutes, 100˚C Sweet.. very similar to the first steep in all honesty. No wavering in the intensity of the licorice/toasted sweet nutty flavour. The oolong is very similar to their monkey picked oolong, but I enjoy this much much more. The tongue-coating flavour of the ginseng is really nice and balances out the toasted qualities of the oolong.

Overall – this is a really lovely, enjoyable tea.

Boiling

Dry Leaf: Has a sweet ginseng smell you can even say grassy.
Wet Leaf: Has a warm wheat aroma or even a slight nutty aroma.
Liquor: Is a dark golden color when you pour it in your cup you see a yellow tint to it maybe even a slight green color in there. Sorry guys for making this liquor color so complex. LOL!!!
Taste: I get a refreshing sweet ginseng and green tea ( slight vegetal) flavor with a slight astringency in the tea.
Overall Opinion: I give this a 90. I think it is of quality since the ginseng flavor stayed with the tea for a good 5 infusions.I have found that the flavor seems to peak on the 3 infusion. This tea has a clean feeling in the mouth. I have also found that this tea is good hot or cold. I think this is a great morning tea or a tea when you need a good pick me up tea beside the other numerous health benefits ginseng offers.
Vessel: SAMA DOYO Gongfu/Kungfu teapot. 7 grams of leaf for 220ml or 7oz. of water in the inner cup of the pot.

TeaVivre provided me with this sample, but I feel that I cannot properly review it. I brewed this in a gaiwan and rinsed before trying a sip. This is just too strong for my tastes. The scent and taste of the ginseng is what bothers me, I think. I appreciate the diversity of samples provided by this awesome company, but this is unfortunately not my cup of tea.

Well, I have to be honest and say I was a bit dubious when this sample came from Teavivre to try. I love oolongs but was not sure what to think about ginseng with oolong. So, it’s been sitting at the back of my tea cupboard waiting until I drank my other samples. But, with the release of the new straight teas from DAVIDs, my interest was piqued. The description and the picture caught my attention. Perhaps there was a picture and description on the Teavivre site, but I must have missed it or not looked. Anyhow, in light of it all. I decided to break out my sample and try.

Initially, I read the most recent reviews and thought I was in for a treat. And then someone commented on undertones of anise, menthol and something else…I wanna say camphor or eucalyptus. Anyhow, I was worried at they point. Those are not things I care for. At all. I didn’t really detect any if those tones when I smelled the dry leaf, but I could taste them when brewed. So, unfortunately, this is not my preference in oolongs. Luckily, as the tea cooled, the licorice and mint tones were more subtle.

I will probably not have the rest of my sample, but I will scout out my friends who have a palate that likes those flavours.

I have no idea what ginseng is supposed to taste like, but I really like this tea! It’s sweet, vegetal, roasty, seaweed-y. This is a nice change up from what I’ve been drinking lately! I can’t decide if this tea is more vegetal or roasty; because of the sweetness I’m leaning towards vegetal. However, most of the green Oolongs I’ve tried were also quite floral. This is not the same- the sweetness could be a floral taste I suppose. Oh, who knows. This is what happens when I try to describe a new oolong, ESP Oolongs! I just confuse myself!
Sum up, this is nummy. Thank you TEAVIVRE for this delicious sample!

I used a heaping teaspoon worth for my 12 oz cup.

Thank you Angel and the Teavivre team for the wonderful samples!
I’ve had this tea from a few different companies. But in my opinion.. Teaviver does it the best! Most other ones have a SUPER strong licorice taste and that’s all there is to it. This one starts out as a warm, dry flavor I honestly can’t explain. Then there is a mild aftertaste of sweet licorice. I got about 3 steeps out of it. I followed the steeping directions on their website..
1st- 1 min.
2nd-2 min.
3rd- 3 min.
Turned out wonderful :]

The dry tea looks like small, dark green nuggets. The smell is strongly vegetal green tea. I am getting a hint of the ginseng.

On brewing, the smell is very strong also. Moreso green tea than oolong. The tea brews a solid dark yellow colour.

The initial taste is vegetal green tea. It is smooth and thick. There is a little kick of ginseng towards the end of the sip. It gets sweeter the longer it sits. It gives a great warming sensation.

The nuggets of this tea only barely unfurled on the first steep. There are many more steeps to get out of them I think. I steeped for 1 minute the first time, but I think I would go less time and do more steeps on subsequent tastings. There is a ginseng type aftertaste that lingers for a long time.

I have found that I quite like oolong teas and am attempting to try many different kinds. I am finding I like my oolong a bit more oxidized, more towards black than green.

Mmm, this is fun and tasty. Fun because the tea leaves tumble out in a surprising, unusual rocky shape teasing me to see how they’ll brew up. I love earthy surprises and this tea did not disappoint.

Pretty color, a lot of smooth sweet flavor without being in-your-face about it. Fairly sophisticated flavor profile, in fact. A little vegetal, a little roasty, and sweet. Trying to place the sweet note, which I am loving, almost but not quite grape, almost but not quite maple, another tease! Moderate lingering astringency on the finish. The second steep holds up well, making it even more worthwhile.

I’d recommend this as a tea to share with friends at a tea tasting. Thanks to Angel for the delightful sample!