Taiwan Ginseng (Lan Gui Ren) Oolong Tea

Medicinal, Sweet, Vegetal, Menthol, Grass, Lettuce, Mineral
Bulk
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hubby and I drank a whole lot of steeps of this tonight. A single teaspoon in my little glass pot and over a liter of water, and it just kept giving with each resteep. We are drinking this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2213 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this one after quite some time. For some reason, I have developed a strong liking to Ginseng Oolong. Maybe, it’s because my taste are still developing. It’s possible, this...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 140 tasting notes
  • “Another Teavivre tea for me! This tea is really great for when I’m not feeling my best. It has a lot of sweet and roasted notes. It is super easy to make, so I can ask my husband to prepare...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 541 tasting notes
  • “I woke up very bleary this morning, unexpectedly, and actually drank coffee for the first time in a long time. But as late morning begins to drag on towards lunch, it is time to settle...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 368 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Township, Nan Tou County, Taiwan

Ingredients: Si Chi Chun (Four Season Oolong)

Taste: Clear and fresh aroma and rich fluid under tongue, sweet and fresh flavor, strong aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks.

About Teavivre View company

Light to medium Oolong with a greenish orange color and an aroma of licorice and herbal medicine. This tea has a sugary sweetness that hits you right away and lingers like I just ate a piece of candy. It taste like a green tea with sugar added to it. I like my tea unsweetened so the sweetness is a little too much for me. Other than that, it has a pleasant taste. The dry tea is interesting in that it is hard and has something similar to a candy coating, probable from the process of adding the ginseng to the tea.

205 °F / 96 °C

I got a sample bag of this as an add-on in a swap with somebody. I used the whole 7g in a 100mL gaiwan. The dry leaf smelled weirdly sweet and herbal – must have been the smell of ginseng – not sure I’ve ever smelled or consumed that before.

Turns out ginseng is gross – to me anyways. It was sickeningly sweet with a weird almost medicinal vibe. Also left a very strange feeling in my mouth. Sort of like menthol, but also I tasted that funky sweetness every time I inhaled – like the ginseng powder coated the inside of my mouth. I only made it through around 3 steeps, as it wasn’t good and was starting to make me feel slightly unwell.

Maybe it’s for some people, but it’s definitely not for me.

Flavors: Medicinal, Menthol, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
nishnek

Lol, Korean people consider most things with ginseng in it pretty much herbal medicine. My mother used to make a foul concoction in a slow cooker that would fill the house with its stench for days with some potent ginseng-herbal remedy known simply as “han-yahk” or Korean medicine that I am remembering the smell of just by reading your review, XD.

TeaVivre

Thanks so much for your tasting notes.

It seems that you’re not a fan of teas with ginseng, or just not big on ginseng. As a mixture of 95 percent of traditional Oolong tea and 5 percent of American ginseng, so yes, it has obvious flavor of Ginseng when you smell on the dry tea.

When brewed, there is a really sweet flavor throughout the mouth both in front and in the back, combining with clear and fresh aroma and rich fluid under tongue with strong aftertaste. Meanwhile, the Ginseng flavor will be gradually faded after several infusions.

I totally understand you just simply don’t like Ginseng flavor, and if you’re interested in, I can send you other Oolong samples to try.

Matu

Oof, now that I know what ginseng smells like, I don’t think I would enjoy the whole house smelling that way for days ;P

Matu

@Teavivre – Yea I just don’t enjoy ginseng, is what I’m taking from this tea. I have tried some other teas, including oolongs, from your site and they’ve all been quite nice :)

Hope you don’t take the review personally – it’s the ginseng, not you! ;)

TeaVivre

@Matu, please don’t worry, I understand that!

Today I brewed a bit thermos of this for a rock climbing/hiking adventure! This is always a good thermos tea for me. 1tsp in 20oz @ 205F, 2.5min. Afterwards we went to a Japanese garden park and there was a tea plant area! Thus I got to drink tea while looking at tea plants. hehe. It was very peaceful.

I’m not sure if that’s sadistic or not, like eating eggs while watching chickens.

Christina / BooksandTea

That sounds like a lovely place! Where is this park?

Flyawaybirdie

=D Hakone Japanese Garden in Los Gatos, CA. I HIGHLY recommend the hiking in Castle Rock park, which is up the hill.

Picked out as a sample for me. This smells mostly vegetal. The flavour is a bit sweet, and a little medicinal. Probably not the best to have with my eggs.

Not really my cuppa, but glad I got to try it anyway.

Flavors: Medicinal, Vegetal

Best
Ginseng
Oolong
I’ve
Had

Sooooooo Happy Ice Tea Day! Is it a coincidence that ice tea month is 6 months from hot tea month in January? No celebration is a must. However I’m celebrating with hot tea rather than the iced version I’m having it hot. https://youtu.be/Xf2MNCu5oqM Yes a little Power Station for your enjoyment. I have a great affection for Ginseng Oolong. I love the sweetness the back end of the sip…funny looks and inquisitions from coworkers. It’s harder to get Oolong flavor because of the ginseng but it’s a pretty good base. If it was a poor quality you would taste it. I’m liking this one quite a bit. I don’t know if I’ll get “boost” from the ginseng but, I’m liking it regardless. Maybe next steep will be on the rocks.

I don’t think I like ginseng. This tea was flavorful, sweet, super mineral, and what I assume ginseng-y. It was a bit too much like medicine for me. If you enjoy ginseng, you will likely enjoy this, as the quality is clear.

Thanks for the sample Cameron B

Apparently ginseng is NOT for me. It tastes a little sweet and a little like oolong but mostly it tastes like licorice and medicine. So, WARNING, if you do not like the taste of licorice beware of ginseng!

Tealizzy

I always wondered about ginseng oolongs…doesn’t sound like I need to explore them. :P

Kittenna

Haha, I didn’t find ginseng quite as bad as licorice, but I totally get the comparison!

Backlogging.

I drank this for most of last night. It was slightly sweet and had a clean vegetal note that reminded me of really crisp lettuce. There was also a mineral note that I found pleasant, and again, clean with a really fresh finish. I want to say the finish was minty, but I think it was closer to eucalyptus than mint. At any rate, it was very nice, and the tea withstood seven steeps before I felt that it was starting to lose some flavor. I probably could have continued for a few more steeps before the leaves were truly spent.

This is the last of my free oolong samples for review from TeaVivre. I know I’ve had a couple of ginseng oolongs before, but I can’t remember whether I liked them or not, and I figured anything they can do, TeaVivre can do better. :P The pellets resemble tiny moss-covered rocks, and I find them super cute. They’re coated with a dark olive green powder with a somewhat rough texture. Dry scent is deliciously sweet with a definite herbal, almost minty aroma.

The steeped tea has that same sweet smell, but to a lesser extent. I can also smell a strong grassy aroma along with a vegetal scent similar to raw salad greens. Hm, the taste actually isn’t sweet like I expected it to be. There’s a strong grassy presence as well as raw greens. I think the ginseng is adding a sparkling mineral taste to the tea, and I also get a slight creeping sweetness on the back of my tongue and throat after each sip. Very interesting and unique, and I do like it!

Flavors: Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet, Vegetal

ashmanra

I LOVE this tea! A friend and I could swear it stops a cold and sore throat for us if we drink it right away when we start to feel bad. It could be all in my mind, but I love the taste enough to buy it just for that.

Cameron B.

Well, people drink licorice root tea when they have sore throats, right? I found the sweet aftertaste of this somewhat similar, so maybe this has the same effect. :)