Taiwan Ginseng (Lan Gui Ren) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Medicinal, Vegetal, Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hubby and I drank a whole lot of steeps of this tonight. A single teaspoon in my little glass pot and over a liter of water, and it just kept giving with each resteep. We are drinking this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 2062 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this one after quite some time. For some reason, I have developed a strong liking to Ginseng Oolong. Maybe, it’s because my taste are still developing. It’s possible, this...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 139 tasting notes
  • “Another Teavivre tea for me! This tea is really great for when I’m not feeling my best. It has a lot of sweet and roasted notes. It is super easy to make, so I can ask my husband to prepare...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 541 tasting notes
  • “I woke up very bleary this morning, unexpectedly, and actually drank coffee for the first time in a long time. But as late morning begins to drag on towards lunch, it is time to settle...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Township, Nan Tou County, Taiwan

Ingredients: Si Chi Chun (Four Season Oolong)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Clear and fresh aroma and rich fluid under tongue, sweet and fresh flavor, strong aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks.

About Teavivre View company

Light to medium Oolong with a greenish orange color and an aroma of licorice and herbal medicine. This tea has a sugary sweetness that hits you right away and lingers like I just ate a piece of candy. It taste like a green tea with sugar added to it. I like my tea unsweetened so the sweetness is a little too much for me. Other than that, it has a pleasant taste. The dry tea is interesting in that it is hard and has something similar to a candy coating, probable from the process of adding the ginseng to the tea.

205 °F / 96 °C

Picked out as a sample for me. This smells mostly vegetal. The flavour is a bit sweet, and a little medicinal. Probably not the best to have with my eggs.

Not really my cuppa, but glad I got to try it anyway.

Flavors: Medicinal, Vegetal

Sooooooo Happy Ice Tea Day! Is it a coincidence that ice tea month is 6 months from hot tea month in January? No celebration is a must. However I’m celebrating with hot tea rather than the iced version I’m having it hot. https://youtu.be/Xf2MNCu5oqM Yes a little Power Station for your enjoyment. I have a great affection for Ginseng Oolong. I love the sweetness the back end of the sip…funny looks and inquisitions from coworkers. It’s harder to get Oolong flavor because of the ginseng but it’s a pretty good base. If it was a poor quality you would taste it. I’m liking this one quite a bit. I don’t know if I’ll get “boost” from the ginseng but, I’m liking it regardless. Maybe next steep will be on the rocks.

I don’t think I like ginseng. This tea was flavorful, sweet, super mineral, and what I assume ginseng-y. It was a bit too much like medicine for me. If you enjoy ginseng, you will likely enjoy this, as the quality is clear.

Thanks for the sample Cameron B

Apparently ginseng is NOT for me. It tastes a little sweet and a little like oolong but mostly it tastes like licorice and medicine. So, WARNING, if you do not like the taste of licorice beware of ginseng!

I always wondered about ginseng oolongs…doesn’t sound like I need to explore them. :P

Haha, I didn’t find ginseng quite as bad as licorice, but I totally get the comparison!

I drank this for most of last night. It was slightly sweet and had a clean vegetal note that reminded me of really crisp lettuce. There was also a mineral note that I found pleasant, and again, clean with a really fresh finish. I want to say the finish was minty, but I think it was closer to eucalyptus than mint. At any rate, it was very nice, and the tea withstood seven steeps before I felt that it was starting to lose some flavor. I probably could have continued for a few more steeps before the leaves were truly spent.

This is the last of my free oolong samples for review from TeaVivre. I know I’ve had a couple of ginseng oolongs before, but I can’t remember whether I liked them or not, and I figured anything they can do, TeaVivre can do better. :P The pellets resemble tiny moss-covered rocks, and I find them super cute. They’re coated with a dark olive green powder with a somewhat rough texture. Dry scent is deliciously sweet with a definite herbal, almost minty aroma.

The steeped tea has that same sweet smell, but to a lesser extent. I can also smell a strong grassy aroma along with a vegetal scent similar to raw salad greens. Hm, the taste actually isn’t sweet like I expected it to be. There’s a strong grassy presence as well as raw greens. I think the ginseng is adding a sparkling mineral taste to the tea, and I also get a slight creeping sweetness on the back of my tongue and throat after each sip. Very interesting and unique, and I do like it!

Flavors: Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet, Vegetal

I LOVE this tea! A friend and I could swear it stops a cold and sore throat for us if we drink it right away when we start to feel bad. It could be all in my mind, but I love the taste enough to buy it just for that.

Cameron B.

Well, people drink licorice root tea when they have sore throats, right? I found the sweet aftertaste of this somewhat similar, so maybe this has the same effect. :)

I think ginseng gives me an extra brain boost, so I wanted to try Teavivre’s offering. This oolong looks like little jade pebbles: a ginseng and licorice coating that slowly dissolves with each steep. I know I shouldn’t have put a teaspoon of this in my cramped one teaspoon infuser, but I did anyway. I didn’t think I should use more than a teaspoon because of the ginseng. I wouldn’t want too much.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min
Even though the water is at boiling, opening the infuser, it seems like the ginseng as hardly dissolved, yet there is plenty of flavor from the ginseng even if the oolong hasn’t been able to soak up the water yet. Again, I should have used my basket infuser, but I didn’t want all of the ginseng to dissolve into the first cup anyway. This flavor is very intriguing and different to me, so I could sip down the entire mug really fast if I’m not careful. I’m usually not a fan of licorice but this is delicious. Maybe the flavor alone is refreshing enough to wake up my brain.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another cup where the ginseng has barely dissolved, but the color of the cup is a dark gold, so I know something is happening! The flavor is obvious anyway: it tastes grassy, with hints of minerals, the sweet licorice is a nice addition… I think it would be worse without it anyway.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
I think this could be the tea of a hundred steeps! The ginseng is still mostly there, so I’ll have to try it again in the basket infuser another time. I’m getting hints of the oolong anyway. I’d buy some of this tough ginseng oolong so each steep slowly releases more ginseng for boosts of brain power throughout the day!

Steep #4 // half mug // just boiled // quite a few minutes
This didn’t get too strong at all, even with quite a few minutes. As usual, I think I should have went with Teavivre’s parameters of a few minutes to steep in the first place… they always know how to steep their teas!

Edited to add: Apparently there is no licorice in this one. I wish they would say what it is. Is that just the flavor of ginseng then?

You know I swear there is licorice in he his but when I have asked, they say there isn’t! I love it, though. It was the first tea I had hubby bring me at the hospital after my surgery a couple of weeks ago, and it was brilliant.

Yeah, I was wondering at the time if I knew what I was talking about. haha. I think any tea would be brilliant after surgery. Wishing you well!

This came in the flavored oolong sample pack, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be trying it as I’m not keen on ginseng. That said, this is the best ginseng tea I’ve had; there’s a cream flavor to it that really smooths out some of the ginseng weirdness, and the oolong is a great base. If you DO like ginseng, you’ll probably love this tea.