Taiwan Ginseng (Lan Gui Ren) Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet, Vegetal
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Hubby and I drank a whole lot of steeps of this tonight. A single teaspoon in my little glass pot and over a liter of water, and it just kept giving with each resteep. We are drinking this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1876 tasting notes
  • “Revisiting this one after quite some time. For some reason, I have developed a strong liking to Ginseng Oolong. Maybe, it's because my taste are still developing. It's possible, this development is...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 136 tasting notes
  • “Another Teavivre tea for me! This tea is really great for when I'm not feeling my best. It has a lot of sweet and roasted notes. It is super easy to make, so I can ask my husband to prepare it...” Read full tasting note
    Tamm 539 tasting notes
  • “I woke up very bleary this morning, unexpectedly, and actually drank _coffee_ for the first time in a long time. But as late morning begins to drag on towards lunch, it is time to settle into...” Read full tasting note
    jimmarks 325 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lugu Township, Nan Tou County, Taiwan

Ingredients: Si Chi Chun (Four Season Oolong)

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Clear and fresh aroma and rich fluid under tongue, sweet and fresh flavor, strong aftertaste

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks.

About Teavivre View company

Light to medium Oolong with a greenish orange color and an aroma of licorice and herbal medicine. This tea has a sugary sweetness that hits you right away and lingers like I just ate a piece of candy. It taste like a green tea with sugar added to it. I like my tea unsweetened so the sweetness is a little too much for me. Other than that, it has a pleasant taste. The dry tea is interesting in that it is hard and has something similar to a candy coating, probable from the process of adding the ginseng to the tea.

205 °F / 96 °C

This is the last of my free oolong samples for review from TeaVivre. I know I’ve had a couple of ginseng oolongs before, but I can’t remember whether I liked them or not, and I figured anything they can do, TeaVivre can do better. :P The pellets resemble tiny moss-covered rocks, and I find them super cute. They’re coated with a dark olive green powder with a somewhat rough texture. Dry scent is deliciously sweet with a definite herbal, almost minty aroma.

The steeped tea has that same sweet smell, but to a lesser extent. I can also smell a strong grassy aroma along with a vegetal scent similar to raw salad greens. Hm, the taste actually isn’t sweet like I expected it to be. There’s a strong grassy presence as well as raw greens. I think the ginseng is adding a sparkling mineral taste to the tea, and I also get a slight creeping sweetness on the back of my tongue and throat after each sip. Very interesting and unique, and I do like it!

Flavors: Grass, Lettuce, Mineral, Sweet, Vegetal

ashmanra

I LOVE this tea! A friend and I could swear it stops a cold and sore throat for us if we drink it right away when we start to feel bad. It could be all in my mind, but I love the taste enough to buy it just for that.

Cameron B.

Well, people drink licorice root tea when they have sore throats, right? I found the sweet aftertaste of this somewhat similar, so maybe this has the same effect. :)

I think ginseng gives me an extra brain boost, so I wanted to try Teavivre’s offering. This oolong looks like little jade pebbles: a ginseng and licorice coating that slowly dissolves with each steep. I know I shouldn’t have put a teaspoon of this in my cramped one teaspoon infuser, but I did anyway. I didn’t think I should use more than a teaspoon because of the ginseng. I wouldn’t want too much.

Steep #1 // just boiled // 3 min
Even though the water is at boiling, opening the infuser, it seems like the ginseng as hardly dissolved, yet there is plenty of flavor from the ginseng even if the oolong hasn’t been able to soak up the water yet. Again, I should have used my basket infuser, but I didn’t want all of the ginseng to dissolve into the first cup anyway. This flavor is very intriguing and different to me, so I could sip down the entire mug really fast if I’m not careful. I’m usually not a fan of licorice but this is delicious. Maybe the flavor alone is refreshing enough to wake up my brain.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another cup where the ginseng has barely dissolved, but the color of the cup is a dark gold, so I know something is happening! The flavor is obvious anyway: it tastes grassy, with hints of minerals, the sweet licorice is a nice addition… I think it would be worse without it anyway.

Steep #3 // just boiled // 3 min
I think this could be the tea of a hundred steeps! The ginseng is still mostly there, so I’ll have to try it again in the basket infuser another time. I’m getting hints of the oolong anyway. I’d buy some of this tough ginseng oolong so each steep slowly releases more ginseng for boosts of brain power throughout the day!

Steep #4 // half mug // just boiled // quite a few minutes
This didn’t get too strong at all, even with quite a few minutes. As usual, I think I should have went with Teavivre’s parameters of a few minutes to steep in the first place… they always know how to steep their teas!

Edited to add: Apparently there is no licorice in this one. I wish they would say what it is. Is that just the flavor of ginseng then?

ashmanra

You know I swear there is licorice in he his but when I have asked, they say there isn’t! I love it, though. It was the first tea I had hubby bring me at the hospital after my surgery a couple of weeks ago, and it was brilliant.

Tea Sipper

Yeah, I was wondering at the time if I knew what I was talking about. haha. I think any tea would be brilliant after surgery. Wishing you well!

This came in the flavored oolong sample pack, otherwise I probably wouldn’t be trying it as I’m not keen on ginseng. That said, this is the best ginseng tea I’ve had; there’s a cream flavor to it that really smooths out some of the ginseng weirdness, and the oolong is a great base. If you DO like ginseng, you’ll probably love this tea.

This is the 2nd Ginseng oolong I’ve tried, & they were both basically the same. The oolong is coated with a matte finish of powdered ginseng & I think licorice root as well. It’s an interesting taste, & I’m gonna drop the leaf into a mason jar because I think I’ll also enjoy it cold later! This one came from KS, thanks brother!

Sipdown!

I finished off my sample packet with some gaiwan brewing today. Didn’t track the times for each steep much, but I did use near 100C water and gave the leaves a quick rinse before the first steep.

The first steep was really sweet, but in an unpleasant metallic way, as if someone had added stevia to the mix. The third and fourth steeps were the best, where I got the nicest mix of oolong base and flavouring. However, by the end it was becoming a tad astringent. This is surprising, as the leaves had barely begun to unfurl by the final (6th or 7th) steep.

Not for me, I guess. But it was an educational tea all the same.

I wanted gaiwan but my husband pulled a face and said “Can’t we just use a teapot instead”? so I caved in and steeped this into a large teapot. I had to use two packs so hopefully the level of tea to water will be fine.

I’ve had Ginseng Oolong before but it was a while ago, I remember it being tasty but strange, granted that was the best part of a year ago. Time to re-visit.

Thick bready scent once steeped but with beautiful sweet ginseng behind it. Almost like an aromatic ginseng baked bread that you would find in a specialist shop.

Flavour is light, sweet and floral with notes of ginseng, honey, fresh bread and some sort of herb that I can’t put my finger on. Cilantro? Fennel? It has the same refreshing quality as fennel/aniseed does (if you know what I mean).

I’m still undecided about this one, it’s perhaps a little too sweet for me. I never liked Fennel/aniseed and this reminds me strongly of it, though I love the smell of it. My husband wasn’t sure about this one either, he said it’s nice but strange. Am I just too Western for this one? It looks that way, ginseng I’m sorry but I don’t think we are meant to be together.

200 °F / 93 °C 2 min, 0 sec 14 g 29 OZ / 850 ML

Thanks to Nicole_Martin for the sample. Roasted, toasted, sesame sweet curled unfurled green leaves. Definitely tastes different from what I drink. No teaball, sugar, honey needed.