Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Floral, Flowers, Smoke, Sweet, Malt, Salt, Earth, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Astringent, Bitter, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “So sadly this cup of tea has been inadvertantly ruined by my other half. We both have travel mugs and today, he somehow managed to steal my lid and leave behind his lid...which i didn't notice...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4840 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2897 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but didn't realize I was so low on this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1813 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn't sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa, grain,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1294 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 2 teaspoons for 17oz of water. Brew at 176℉ ( 80℃) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

hmmm, the ever diligent angel contacted me the other day having noticed my low initial review of this tea. she politely offered some suggestions for steeping differently than i had. let me emphasize that in no way was she pushy or inappropriate— she is a woman passionate about tea and teavivre and so customers, reviewers and their opinions are important to her.

i agreed to resteep… it’s hard to refuse when someone asks so politely. honestly, the first go round was so bad that i really wasn’t expecting to like the tea regardless of the advice, but i was wrong.

1.5 tspns for 16 oz tea cup steeped for a hair short of 90 seconds (it was getting rather dark and i wanted to err on the side of caution).

what did i get? a light tasting, non caffeine stick tea reminiscent of a fruit/wood mix. not oak though… more like the light scent of balsa wood crossed with a just-left-the-room sandalwood. truly lovely!

thank you so much angel for your expertise.

i am happy to re-rate… (and yes, ultimately i will buy).

Terri HarpLady

I really like this one, & have some on the way. :)

JustJames

i would go so far as to say it may be a classic in the making. and, um, i believe my september budget is spoken for and i am booking for october now, lol!

ashmanra

I just got my order of this a few weeks ago, and I really enjoy it! I do steep a little tiny bit longer than they suggest, but I like it that way.

caile

I think this will be one of the samples I’ll be getting from Angel and I’m looking forward to trying them finally – I’ll have to try brewing this way.

JustJames

it was when i was doing MY standard steep that it all went so horribly wrong. i think it was 4 or 5 minutes, and 1.5 tablespoons.

TeaVivre

Thanks for your lovely review,it’s useful and can let me know different feedback of our teas.

When a tea is called fragrant, you know you just have to smell it! I love the aroma of the dry leaf. I can smell cocoa! Deep, rich chocolate-y notes, and hints of freshly baked bread. Malt. It smells so rich and sweet. The fragrance of the brewed liquor is faint when compared to the dry leaf, but it still smells amazing and delicious and sweet.

This is delicious too. It shows a softer side of Keemun – while many Keemun teas can be bold and bracing, this one is strong yet soft-spoken. It lulls you into a state of consciousness rather than gives you that invigorating shake that some other Keemun teas that I’ve tried often offer. I love experiencing this gentler Keemun!

This is another one I’ve had my eye on for a few months. I was thrilled when it was offered to me by Angel at Teavivre. I’ve previously tried their Keemun Hao Ya, and I loved it. While it was smoky, this doesn’t smell smoky at all.

The dry leaves are particularly dark, almost black, and extremely thin and long. Like brittle spider legs as I measure them above my slightly cooled water. They smell very strong, pungent even. Once brewed, the tea smells like honey and wood with a hint of something that kinda makes me think of pumpkin.

The taste is intriguing and delicious. This is a rather strong black tea as far as Teavivre’s lineup has been so far. It makes me think of a malty puerh. I’m going to give it maybe three minutes and thirty seconds next, in hopes of making it even stronger. Must experiment. But for now, I think I liked the Hao Ya better.

This is my first venture with keemun – I would not normally have purchased this tea based on the description, but this was a sample given to me in my Teavivre order, so I decided to give it a go.

I wasn’t very nice to this poor tea. I steeped it far too long. Well, what a pleasant surprise that it was still really tasty. It was malty and a little bread-y. I decided to re-steep the leaves even though I over did it the first time around, and while the flavour was milder (no surprise there) it was still quite flavourful. I am impressed.

I will definitely be purchasing this one at some point.

This plus maple syrup = delicious!

scribbles

I will give that a try – thanks for the tip! :)

Terri HarpLady

What Sil said!

The dry leaves have a sweet and dry aroma, and the liquor smells honeyed with the faintest touch of malt. The lightness of the cup prevents it from pairing too well with milk but it re-steeps great.

This is a nice smooth and round tea; I can see where they draw the sweet potato comparison from. I most easily pick out the fruity and floral sweet notes, and then the malt. Bigger gulps make me think of fruitier dark chocolate near the finish, but it’s a loose association. There’s a lot going on with this tea- it’s deceiving.

Despite the gentleness of this tea it makes me think of rainy winter days where my clothes have been soaked through; I can see me wanting a cup of this then. It’s not something I’d reach for all the time though.

Tea of the morning……

This was my free sample with my most recent TeaVivre order. I stocked up on the black dragon pearls and purchased some of the Golden Monkey without even sampling based on the reviews of Steepsterverse (thank you for all of your thoughtful reviews). I had been wondering about this one and do appreciate that TeaVivre now allows you to pick your samples along with your order.

The leaves are long, thin, and twisted. It does remind me in look of the Keemun Mao Feng from Harney, but I think the leaves are just a little shorter. I did not brew this according to TeaVivre’s instructions, but used the method by which I usually brew my Keemun Mao Feng as I was hoping this tea might be a good substitution for it. The liquor is lightly noted with cocoa, and a little fruity, floral, and malty. It is very smooth and satisfying. In comparison, this one is lower in smoke and earthiness (which are definitely only slight in the KMF), so this would be a good choice for those who don’t care for the slight smoke and earthiness found in other grades of Keemun. I don’t think I could use it as a substitution for my favorite Keemun Mao Feng, but it is very good on its own. The price on this one makes it into the range of being more of an everyday tea than my KMF.

Usual teapot method.

SimplyJenW

I did resample this one recently. It is probably the most floral Keemun I have ever had. To me, it was not really a good combination.

Superfine and Supergood!
Thank you to Angel and Teavivre for the sample!
This is not AS malty, not AS chocolaty not AS strong as some other teas of this nature but it is oh so good!
Smooth and relaxing.
A definitive sweet potato flavor and aroma. (Yummmm)
Thick Mouthfeel.
Slightly drying on the back of the throat.
Absolutely no bitterness or astringency.
Grainy baked bread flavor. (double yummmm)
This is perfect for today’s fall like semi rainy weather.
Makes me feel like walking in the woods amongst crunchy leaves!
Sweet without any added sweetener!
Almost a little like molasses.
If you swish it around in your mouth you get the taste of rainwater and wood.
Delightful!

Thank you Teavivre for this sample tea!

My first tasting was gongfu style with Eric and Sam at Happy Lucky’s Tea Shop on the eve of the USA Pro Am #6 Cycling race.
It was quiet because the streets downtown were about to be closed off in preparation for the next day’s huge racing event!
Sam was loading a big cooler with ice for the tea booth (to be located in front of Happy Lucky’s) when my granddaughter Schey arrived to join the tea tasting.

We tasted three other tea’s, finishing with the Keemun.

There was an audible ahhhh with this final tasting.

I showed restraint, appreciative of the sweet aroma before I slurped once, twice then three times from my small cup (splaying the tea throughout my mouth, catching air). We only taste tea the ‘loud’ way among ourselves when the shop is quiet, not to startle anyone. I mention how this is done because it’s worth trying out (quite a bit like tasting wine).

We all liked this tea, and I couldn’t wait to have a whole pot of tea to myself the next morning!

The next day, Saturday morning which was race day, I made a pot of Superfine Keemun…Western Style…with a slightly longer steep than most people would do.

This is the best Black Tea I’ve tasted from Teavivre! Fragrant, with sweetness, slight black pepper and barley, cocoa with almost no smoke.

I added cream and sugar which enhanced the sweet cocoa flavor and
revealed the richness of this fine Black Tea.

This is the Keemun I want in my cupboard! It’s not dry or harsh but has depth and complexity.

After my pot of tea, I was ready for the Cycling Race! I drove close to Old Town and walked to the Finish Line area around the corner from the tea house.
A big TV screen showed the race (ABC I think), and I watched the racers fly behind my house from Horsetooth Reservoir, then down Mulberry the next street over, through town and past me sooo fast! Here are some photo’s!!!
http://flic.kr/p/fBkw9A http://flic.kr/p/fBkvyL

The day was FUN! Vendors gave away samples of Ice Cream, Yoghurt, Jelly Belly’s, Dried Fruit, Cow Bells, Beef Jerky, Water Bottles, Chips, Cliff Bars, Healthy Snacks…all kinds of things. No sales, just free STUFF!

Next week, Tour de Fat! http://youtu.be/DjJlWZgWuUU

It hurts my body to get out like this and park far away and walk and stand even with my cane. Real pain.
But if I stop and stay in my house 24/7 I’ll lose my joy!
Nobody is going to come to me, I have to go grab what I can and do what I can!

The day ended as I began the evening before, with a stop for tea with my friends at the tea house. They gave me free iced tea and scones. Much needed relief and the joy of friendship!

ashmanra

That is how I make my Suoerfine Keemun, too!

I was curious about this post: http://steepster.com/discuss/5668-radical-iced-tea-directions-from-upton-tea-customer-darius-mcgregor

Cold brewing for 4 days? I usually max out at 12 hours. Every once in a while it goes for 24 hours. But I thought I should give this a try.

I actually only cold brewed for 3 days because I forgot to get it into the fridge and if I don’t drink it today, it will brew for 4 more days before I can get to it. Overall, I would say it doesn’t taste a whole lot different than my usual 12 hour brew. It is almost like all the flavours had been steeped out of the tea after about a day and really its just been chilling there for days. I do think it is a bit sweeter, and the flavours are a bit more complex vs a shorter brew. There is a strong keemun taste, kind of malty, a sweet honey type flavour, there is a strong keemun as well as a floral fragrance to the tea. I would have anticipated it to be quite a bit stronger after sitting for 3 days. Overall, it is a delicious cold brew, but I don’t think the extra few days makes a hug difference. What it does show me, is that it is a lot more forgiving if I forget about it, than I thought it would be.

Thank you to Teavivre for sending this wonderful set of samples! They finally arrived today and I can finally start digging in.

I am in a black tea sort of mood so I figured this would be a great place to start, that and the tea came in a little once cup pouch so I didn’t have to do any measuring!

The dry leaf smell reminds me of soy sauce with a hint of sesame seed, which is making me really hungry as well as get this tea going. The steeped tea is a nice dark amber color and smells a little soy saucey still with a hint of chocolate.

The taste is very nice. There is no astringency that I can detect, which is very nice and makes for a smooth tea. There are some nice chocolate notes that are coming out as I sip this as well as a hint of chili. I might try less water when I resteep this to try and make it a little more to stronger.