Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “So sadly this cup of tea has been inadvertantly ruined by my other half. We both have travel mugs and today, he somehow managed to steal my lid and leave behind his lid...which i didn't notice...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2480 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but didn't realize I was so low on this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1768 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn't sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa, grain,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1157 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.
Dry Leaf: Has a sweet grainy or malt type of aroma or even a faint smoke aroma.
Wet Leaf: Has is more dominate in the malt aroma.
Liquor: Was a bright and beautiful red with a orange tint to it.
Taste: I get a slight plum flavor along with a malt type of flavor and a splash of a floral flavor and a super soft smoke. This tea was very smooth too.
Overall Opinion: I give this tea a 90. This tea is smoother and more refined compared to the other Keemun they sell.
Vessel: SAMA DOYO Gongfu/Kungfu teapot. 7 grams of leaf to 220ml or 7 oz. water to inner cup of pot.

Another day and another review of samples from Teavivre! This time around its Organic superfine Keemun that found its way in my cuppa this morning to much of my delight! The tea has much of the usual Keemun qualities of a slightly smoky plum flavor but with characteristics of Assam in the starchy department. The brew itself at near boiling water yielded a smooth liquor, non astringent without much bitterness on the palate. An excellent quality tea made with buds, great taste and makes a fine cuppa! Drink on Steepsterites!

TeaVivre

This tea is really very nice, it tastes smooth, also combined with unique Keemun fragrance^^

Anthony Bazic

I can give a toast to that! Its really different from most Keemun while other Keemun teas in the market tend to be overly dominant in flavors that can be too overwhelming. The best part is its really not too astringent with great flavor.

I must thank Angel at Teavivre for this experience. My tea arrived today and I have been ogling the whole box since.

Black tea is one of the great loves of my life. I brew it daily, inhale the deep aromas, gaze at the dark colors, and sip at it greedily. It is truly a spiritual experience for me, and I consume far more of it than can be considered healthy. We all have our vices, so I justify mine with the fact that it’s tea and not gambling or cocaine. Solid logic, no?

This fragrant black tea is no disappointment. I will say it is not for the faint of heart, however. This is a strong, thick, and powerful blend – even when steeped precisely as recommended. For those looking for something not so powerful, it could easily be steeped for half the time and be quite enjoyable. In fact, I do believe this would do wonderfully iced with just a hint of sugar.

The leaves really didn’t give away the strength of the brew to come, not too dark, faintly aromatic, very unlike the tea they created. To my delight it is not very bitter. Indeed I’ve tasted far lighter black teas with more bitterness and interesting aftertastes.

I am truly biased in my adoration of steaming hot black tea, but I do think everyone should try it.

Thank you again, Angel, for this adventure. I will be reviewing the other teas over the course of the next week and am very excited for the opportunity. I have been ill and homebound these past few months, and tea has been one of my only escapes.

TeaVivre

Thanks for the tasting note, and I sincerely hope that you will soon be restored to health.

The word “fragrant” in the title does not mislead; indeed, this tea is aromatic in many ways. The small, mostly black dry leaves exude a powerful aroma of citrus, cocoa, and that unmistakable “pure tea” scent. This balanced medley is interestingly persistent and found in the wet leaves, the liquor, and the empty cup/gaiwan lid. The liquor is bisquity and very smooth, with a lively and crisp texture.

Flavors open exponentially, with a slower start upon the cusp of the sip, quickly rising into a strong, full-bodied mouthfeel. While it develops quickly, the complexity is low. However, the depth is remarkable and is enough to lead to a cooling finish in the throat and a lingering aftertaste. In some cases with high amounts of leaf, the finish is drying and somewhat sour, while the general mouthfeel is sharp and slightly metallic. Hence, I have found that small amounts of leaves produce a more balanced, sweet brew, while packing the gaiwan seems to bring out more undesirable qualities, even with flash infusions.

Sweetness is pretty low-key, but after seven or eight steeps, I am able to steep out infusion after infusion of flinty sweet liquor with a simple, slightly malty, “tea” flavor. This ability to go the distance in steeps, its powerful cooling qualities, and its strong fragrance make this a really great Keemun.

Thanks, Teavivre, for the sample.

205 °F / 96 °C

I received this tea as a sample and I’m glad I did!
Small ebony leaf, smells like caramel, honey or candy in the bag without being cloying.
A light sweet smooth, plum-like, cocoa-caramel, very low in smokiness with no bitterness. No one scent overpowers, but a rich and mellow flavored Keemun. Priced economically, a good tea either hot or cold

I’ve reordered this one, and will do again.

The quickest description of this tea is: Black lite. It has all the earmarks of a good black tea. it has a rich deep red color, a wonderful scent of yeast and malt. It tastes of fresh baked bread (home made bread, not the commercial stuff), malt, and has an inherent sweetness, not sugary; without any astringency.

It’s not as full bodied as Big Red Robe or Golden Monkey, and the taste doesn’t linger on the palate as it does with those other teas. It has all the traits of the big blacks, but not to excess.

Still, this Keemun is a favorite of mine, and will surely serve to seduce many green or oolong drinkers into the cult of the black tea.

Gene

Before steeping, it smells kind of like dark chocolate, malty, and maybe a little like caramel, plus of course some smokey notes.

Taste wise it is kind of hard to describe. Kind of floral in addition to malty tasting. To me it kind of tastes like a cross of the different flavors I get from Indian and Chinese teas. It reminds me somewhat of their bailin gongfu, but has its own thing going on. All I know is I cold brewed some, added ice and sugar, and really like it that way so far.

Another huge thank you to Angel at Teavivre for this sample!! I had such a tough time deciding which of my samples to try first today, but since this will be my first Keemun (I think), it’s up!!

The dry smell was a malty and a bit fruity black tea. I steeped for 2 minutes with 195 185 degree water Western style, a slight variation of the recommended parameters so we will see how it tastes!

The steeped scent is fruity and a bit dry, definitely reminiscent of a tasty red wine. I like it! Not much sweet potato in the scent to me, which is a bit refreshing lol. Also the barest hint of smoke, adding depth and mystery :D

As for the flavor, this is a very good black tea. It is very fruity and rich. A slight astringency to add to the wine-like mouthfeel, and this might also go down with a lower brewing temperature, but I don’t mind it as it still tastes very smooth and full. It is bold yet muted, if that makes any sense. The fruitiness is so similar to red wine, I really can’t believe it! There is a little bit more malt when it cools, but still mostly fruity and fresh.

Overall, a very nice tea to try, I am excited to brew it with a lower temperature, I will try that with the re-steep. Fruity, slightly dry..a lovely red wine like tea! Once again thank you Angel for the opportunity to add to my black tea tastings with this variety!

ETA – A slight smokiness is present as it cools even more, adding a rich depth to the fruitiness and toning down the astringency to a smoother flavor. Brewing with cooler water would probably make this tea shine!

ETA again – oops, looks like I brewed the first cup with 185 degree water haha, while the recommended params are 176. Off by 10 degrees in my initial review haha…I will change that now to match :)

“What’s in your cup?”
This morning I brewed Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea by TeaVivre:
6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 1, 2, & 3 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.
The Western method directions call for 7 g & 8 oz. Since the sample package contained 6.5 g, I used 7.5 oz. In my eagerness to taste TeaVivre’s top Keemun I forgot the recommended rise before brewing.

Note: To TeaVivre’s credit, I understand their brewing recommendations are determined and optimized through tastings of each new batch and thus may vary from year to year. This sample was from the previous year. Thus, I followed the previous Western brewing recommendations: 8 oz. / 7 g / 194*F / Rinse 1, 2, 3 min.

The Western brewing recommendations for the current year are: 17oz / 6 g / 176℉ / 2-5 min.

Leaf: dark chocolate brown, short, & uniform
Fragrance: subtle Keemun & fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: clear Medium-dark copper
Aroma: Mild Keemun
Flavor:
A rich, full-bodied, refined Keemun with notes of cocoa & caramel that is warm, mellow and relaxing especially as the cup cooled to ~150*F. I truly enjoy both this Keemun as well as their Premium Keemun Hao Ya. I would very much welcome samples of this year’s Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant and Premium Keemun Hao Ya to brew with both the current Western & Gong Fu recommendations as I am completely out of Keemun and need to order more. Typically I stock 500g to 1kg as Keemun is my favorite breakfast tea.

Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 2 min.: This cup is nearly identical to the first one.

2nd Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz /194*F / 3 min.: This cup is a little less rich than the previous one.

A truly elegant and refined Keemun.

Thanks to KittyLovesTea for providing this free sample.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a Finum brew basket http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/29177-finum-brewing-basket.

caile

That’s interesting about the different brewing temperatures. My sample package said 194F and it was from the current year I thought…but I see the website does have it at 176F.

looseTman

Making sure one has the recommended brewing parameters for their tea sample significantly reduces potential frustration and insures the best first impression of a new tea. I don’t know which month of the year the new crop becomes available.

Another sample from Teavivre! thanks so much, Teavivre! I REALLY wanted to try most of the Keemun teas from Teavivre, since one of them will definitely be ordered in the future. I love the Premium Keemun Hao Ya black. This one seems to be one point lower in the Steepster rating at the moment, though it is supposed to be better quality. Teavivre’s instructions for this one are two teaspoons at 194 degrees with a rinse and 1,2,3 minute steep times. The dry leaves are mostly black with tinges of gold.

Steep #1 // 20 mins after boiling // 2 min after rinse
The wait was accidentally a bit longer than I would have liked. But looking at my tasting notes for the other Keemun, it seems I get a perfect cup after waiting 18 minutes and steeping for two minutes, so I’m glad it ended up being closer in time to compare! Before I take the first sip, the fragrance is much like sweet potatoes with marshmallow on top, not really smoke. I must note that this is NOT like Teavivre’s lighter sweet potato tasting teas (Tan Yang & Yun Nan Dian Hong Golden Tip), it just has that particular fragrance. The flavor itself is brisk enough without being astringent. I wouldn’t say there is any smokiness in the flavor or fragrance with this one. The Premium has a hint of smoke. The flavor in this one is like melted chocolate chips. Not necessarily dark chocolate like the Premium Hao Ya.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
This one has a slight hint of flavor that says it would have been better with waiting for the water to cool a while. Teavivre has definitely perfected their steeping instructions… I will always follow their instructions as close as I can because when I do, the tea tastes better. It’s still a tasty cup though. I really like this tea, but I think my favorite is the Premium Hao Ya, because that one has a hint of smoke and dark chocolate, rather than the semi-sweet chocolate chips that this tea has. Either way, both teas are pure chocolate… and both are fantastic.