Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Floral, Flowers, Smoke, Sweet, Malt, Salt, Earth, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Astringent, Bitter, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “So sadly this cup of tea has been inadvertantly ruined by my other half. We both have travel mugs and today, he somehow managed to steal my lid and leave behind his lid...which i didn't notice...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4889 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2918 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but didn't realize I was so low on this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1817 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn't sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa, grain,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1305 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 2 teaspoons for 17oz of water. Brew at 176℉ ( 80℃) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.
Dry Leaf: Has a sweet grainy or malt type of aroma or even a faint smoke aroma.
Wet Leaf: Has is more dominate in the malt aroma.
Liquor: Was a bright and beautiful red with a orange tint to it.
Taste: I get a slight plum flavor along with a malt type of flavor and a splash of a floral flavor and a super soft smoke. This tea was very smooth too.
Overall Opinion: I give this tea a 90. This tea is smoother and more refined compared to the other Keemun they sell.
Vessel: SAMA DOYO Gongfu/Kungfu teapot. 7 grams of leaf to 220ml or 7 oz. water to inner cup of pot.

Another day and another review of samples from Teavivre! This time around its Organic superfine Keemun that found its way in my cuppa this morning to much of my delight! The tea has much of the usual Keemun qualities of a slightly smoky plum flavor but with characteristics of Assam in the starchy department. The brew itself at near boiling water yielded a smooth liquor, non astringent without much bitterness on the palate. An excellent quality tea made with buds, great taste and makes a fine cuppa! Drink on Steepsterites!

TeaVivre

This tea is really very nice, it tastes smooth, also combined with unique Keemun fragrance^^

Anthony Bazic

I can give a toast to that! Its really different from most Keemun while other Keemun teas in the market tend to be overly dominant in flavors that can be too overwhelming. The best part is its really not too astringent with great flavor.

I must thank Angel at Teavivre for this experience. My tea arrived today and I have been ogling the whole box since.

Black tea is one of the great loves of my life. I brew it daily, inhale the deep aromas, gaze at the dark colors, and sip at it greedily. It is truly a spiritual experience for me, and I consume far more of it than can be considered healthy. We all have our vices, so I justify mine with the fact that it’s tea and not gambling or cocaine. Solid logic, no?

This fragrant black tea is no disappointment. I will say it is not for the faint of heart, however. This is a strong, thick, and powerful blend – even when steeped precisely as recommended. For those looking for something not so powerful, it could easily be steeped for half the time and be quite enjoyable. In fact, I do believe this would do wonderfully iced with just a hint of sugar.

The leaves really didn’t give away the strength of the brew to come, not too dark, faintly aromatic, very unlike the tea they created. To my delight it is not very bitter. Indeed I’ve tasted far lighter black teas with more bitterness and interesting aftertastes.

I am truly biased in my adoration of steaming hot black tea, but I do think everyone should try it.

Thank you again, Angel, for this adventure. I will be reviewing the other teas over the course of the next week and am very excited for the opportunity. I have been ill and homebound these past few months, and tea has been one of my only escapes.

TeaVivre

Thanks for the tasting note, and I sincerely hope that you will soon be restored to health.

The word “fragrant” in the title does not mislead; indeed, this tea is aromatic in many ways. The small, mostly black dry leaves exude a powerful aroma of citrus, cocoa, and that unmistakable “pure tea” scent. This balanced medley is interestingly persistent and found in the wet leaves, the liquor, and the empty cup/gaiwan lid. The liquor is bisquity and very smooth, with a lively and crisp texture.

Flavors open exponentially, with a slower start upon the cusp of the sip, quickly rising into a strong, full-bodied mouthfeel. While it develops quickly, the complexity is low. However, the depth is remarkable and is enough to lead to a cooling finish in the throat and a lingering aftertaste. In some cases with high amounts of leaf, the finish is drying and somewhat sour, while the general mouthfeel is sharp and slightly metallic. Hence, I have found that small amounts of leaves produce a more balanced, sweet brew, while packing the gaiwan seems to bring out more undesirable qualities, even with flash infusions.

Sweetness is pretty low-key, but after seven or eight steeps, I am able to steep out infusion after infusion of flinty sweet liquor with a simple, slightly malty, “tea” flavor. This ability to go the distance in steeps, its powerful cooling qualities, and its strong fragrance make this a really great Keemun.

Thanks, Teavivre, for the sample.

205 °F / 96 °C

I received this tea as a sample and I’m glad I did!
Small ebony leaf, smells like caramel, honey or candy in the bag without being cloying.
A light sweet smooth, plum-like, cocoa-caramel, very low in smokiness with no bitterness. No one scent overpowers, but a rich and mellow flavored Keemun. Priced economically, a good tea either hot or cold

I’ve reordered this one, and will do again.

The quickest description of this tea is: Black lite. It has all the earmarks of a good black tea. it has a rich deep red color, a wonderful scent of yeast and malt. It tastes of fresh baked bread (home made bread, not the commercial stuff), malt, and has an inherent sweetness, not sugary; without any astringency.

It’s not as full bodied as Big Red Robe or Golden Monkey, and the taste doesn’t linger on the palate as it does with those other teas. It has all the traits of the big blacks, but not to excess.

Still, this Keemun is a favorite of mine, and will surely serve to seduce many green or oolong drinkers into the cult of the black tea.

Gene

Before steeping, it smells kind of like dark chocolate, malty, and maybe a little like caramel, plus of course some smokey notes.

Taste wise it is kind of hard to describe. Kind of floral in addition to malty tasting. To me it kind of tastes like a cross of the different flavors I get from Indian and Chinese teas. It reminds me somewhat of their bailin gongfu, but has its own thing going on. All I know is I cold brewed some, added ice and sugar, and really like it that way so far.

I have to admit that I’m a coffee drinker and green tea lover. I don’t usually pick a black tea during the day. Today I’ve decided to try this tea I have received from TeaVivre. I have to say that it will take me couple days to adjust to drinking black tea, especially after I drank 2 cups of strong coffee. I really like the taste but at the moment cannot distinguish all of the nuance and flavours of this tea. Hopefully with tasting more black tea I will become more knowledgeable and be able to talk about how it taste. Any tips for starters of black teas like me?

Marzipan

Maybe try some vastly different types, like the golden Yunnan types are so different than the Assams, so different from Darjeeling. Maybe if you hit the different ends of the spectrum, then you will be able to more easily see where things fall as you drink them. I have to say that the golden Yunnan teas were a revelation to me.

Helene

Marzipan: really great idea, I will do that. It is easier for me to grasp different flavors in a floral tea. If you have a moment could you kindly look at my cupboard and tell me in which order I should try my black teas? I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Marzipan

If you haven’t tried this one yet, it will be very different from the Keemun: http://steepster.com/teas/teavivre/21629-yun-nan-dian-hong-black-tea-golden-tip

Helene

Thanks Marzipan it will be my next one to taste.

If you’re finding black teas too wimpy compared to your coffee, you could always pick up the sampler pack of puerh that Garrett (mandala) has on right now, to see if that’s more up your alley. It’s reasonable to Canada and comes with the smart soak! Haha

This particular tea is a great Keemun though – teavivre has some great greens and blacks (others so well, but I’m not as much a fan of whites and oolongs personally)

Helene

Hi Marzipan I am trying the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea Golden Tip this morning. It is nice smooth tea, not strong. Thanks!

Helene

Sil: thanks I will look into this. I could drink green all day but I want to try other teas as well.

Received my Anniversary order today. So happy since we are going to Philly for 5 days. I wouldn’t want to leave my package unattended. Guess what, mail lady left it on a top of the mail box. She didn’t bother to bring it on the deck. Anyone driving by would be able to snatch my box. The saddest part is it probably would be non tea drinker.

Back to the tea. I made it according to Teavivre’s parameters.
175F 3G 8 oz 2 min

The cup is beautiful golden color and very aromatic . It’s chocolaty fruity and very smooth. Perhaps too smooth for me.
i wonder why Teavivre suggests such a low temp.
Last year notes are 195F. Should I increase temp? Anybody tried new harvest and have better parameters? Resteep was not bad but kinda flat.

I think this tea would be perfect for some beginners into loose leaf or someone who is afraid of strong or smoky flavors

Marzipan

The notes on my sample size of this were 194.

boychik

That makes me think that maybe you have last year sample. I went on website and it is 175F. Did you like it? It has profile similar to Bailin.

yyz

Weird, I’ve only needed to go that low with one of my tippy black teas otherwise it would get this vitamin C tinge to it.

boychik

I will try 195F next time. It makes more sense. I’m just wondering if I care for Keemun a all…

“at all”

Marzipan

Loved it. I reviewed it a few days ago.

looseTman

Perhaps Angel could give us an update on brewing TeaVivre’s 2014 Keemun teas?

looseTman

Marzipan, How did you brew your sample?

Tealizzy

My package says 176 degrees for 1-2 minutes, and my first cup of this tea turned out good, but I may have had it on a day I microwaved my water at work, so who knows how hot that was! Probably was hotter than 176.

195 for I think 2 mins.

Terri HarpLady

Oops! I always brew it a boiling temp!

MzPriss

Me too Terri

Marzipan,
What quantities? tsp. (g) / oz. Thanks

TeaVivre

dear all, the Recommend Brewing Guide on our web is the best taste for us. And everyone is different, so the best taste for you is different. You can try different temp./quantities to find a best way for you to brew the tea.
Good luck.

This is a 2013 sample I got last year, but it’s been stored in its original unopened pouch inside a tightly-lidded tea-tin, so I don’t think it’ll have lost very much flavour and aroma, though both might be more muted than if it were very fresh.

I steeped about 5g of this in 200ml of 95C water or a bit cooler, for 30-45s per steep, and got 4 good steeps from it; I steeped the first time using on-the-boil water (because UK children are taught in primary school that tea is brewed in boiling water and it’s anathema to brew it in anything less) and this made it very astringent, but using cooler water took all the bitterness away.

The scent is like a subdued summer flower-garden, and the taste is mildly sweet with a smoky hint, and lightly oily.

Pleasant and easy-going as a light and uplifting morning drink. I’d rate this in the mid-80s – I like it a lot but it’s not quite as more-ish as my favourite black teas.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Smoke, Sweet