Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Malt, Earth, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Astringent, Bitter, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “So sadly this cup of tea has been inadvertantly ruined by my other half. We both have travel mugs and today, he somehow managed to steal my lid and leave behind his lid...which i didn't notice...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4704 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but didn't realize I was so low on this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1797 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn't sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa, grain,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1249 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 1-2 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 194 ºF (90 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Well, hello Steepster, ol’ buddy ol’ pal,

How ya been?

In my effort to be more active with the various social media outlets at my disposal, I completely forgot about the one that is directly tea-related. Leave it to a day off to allow me to make steep-related reparations.

I actually received this sample a few months back, but with my major tea backlog, I didn’t get to it until – well – now. I hate that about myself.

This is…whoah.

As far as Keemuns go, it is perhaps the cleanest sipping experience. Floral, wood-sweet, but with a Keemun kick toward the end. It’s more medium-bodied than robust – unlike Mao Feng or Gong Fu…or even Hao Ya grades of Keemun that I’ve had. That said, still a mighty fine experience.

looseTman

Geoffrey,
A very incisive impression & Keemun comparison!

I haven’t had many Keemun’s one I had was quite smokey and another was bright, fruity and almost menthol. This one is quite nice, it reminds me of a slightly more savoury and less sharp tasting version of another favourite tea of mine. Many thanks to Angel at Teavivre for selecting this sample for me to try. I quite enjoyed it and can easily see why it is a staple for many.

I steeped 1tsp in 200ml at @90°C for 4 steeps (1, 1.3, 2, and 4 min).

The dry leaf smelled of rye bread dusted with icing sugar and a hint of cocoa. The leaves were tightly twisted with occasional reddish golden brown tips.

After, the first steep the scent of the tea was lightly smokey roasted notes, citrus/longan, sweet potato, a bright citrousy floral, hint of cocoa, a peppery nasturtium note, and the upper notes of malt. Overall the effect was quite savoury.

The flavour of early steeps had a sharp longan top note settling into a grainy note that instantly develops into a honeyed floral cocoa note over roasted sweet potato, quite lovely and light, yet rich, smooth and creamy in the mouth. The floral note is a combination of spicy clover and carnation.

Later steeps were slightly sweeter and deeper with grainy notes becoming dominant, with lovely peppery, cocoa, grain notes, mixed with floral notes. Eventually the sweetness subsides in later steeps leaving prominent grain notes.

I really enjoyed this tea and am glad it is regularly available as I could see it being a nice replacement for one of my favourite aliexpress teas which I may not be able to buy again. Thanks again Angel!

caile

Such a nice review – I want to have a cup of this right now. ;)

Taking a break from my lovely white tea gaiwan session for a cup of this. Fruity and grainy, I like this tea quite a lot. It fits the bill as a perfect afternoon (well, late afternoon) tea. This is an easily drinkable tea as well, I might have to dabble in a few more Keemuns to see how they compare. When I get around to making a Teavivre order, this is a strong contender for a black tea to have in my cupboard, as it’s a refreshing change from all my honey dripping Yunnan black teas haha. See previous notes :)

Michelle Butler Hallett

Keemuns can be sooooo good.

MissLena

I haven’t tried any except this one haha but I am tempted to try a few more.. :D

TeaVivre

So glad you like this tea. Hope you have a comfortable afternoon accompanied by our teas.

MissLena

Thanks!! I definitely enjoyed it :) I’ve actually been compiling a list tonight of my favorites for my order I will place with you guys! So tough to choose :) I still have a few more to try before ordering as well!

TeaVivre

Thanks for your supporting,and hope you will find your favorite teas:)

“What’s in your cup?”
This morning I brewed Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea by TeaVivre:
6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 1, 2, & 3 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.
The Western method directions call for 7 g & 8 oz. Since the sample package contained 6.5 g, I used 7.5 oz. In my eagerness to taste TeaVivre’s top Keemun I forgot the recommended rise before brewing.

Note: To TeaVivre’s credit, I understand their brewing recommendations are determined and optimized through tastings of each new batch and thus may vary from year to year. This sample was from the previous year. Thus, I followed the previous Western brewing recommendations: 8 oz. / 7 g / 194*F / Rinse 1, 2, 3 min.

The Western brewing recommendations for the current year are: 17oz / 6 g / 176℉ / 2-5 min.

Leaf: dark chocolate brown, short, & uniform
Fragrance: subtle Keemun & fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: clear Medium-dark copper
Aroma: Mild Keemun
Flavor:
A rich, full-bodied, refined Keemun with notes of cocoa & caramel that is warm, mellow and relaxing especially as the cup cooled to ~150*F. I truly enjoy both this Keemun as well as their Premium Keemun Hao Ya. I would very much welcome samples of this year’s Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant and Premium Keemun Hao Ya to brew with both the current Western & Gong Fu recommendations as I am completely out of Keemun and need to order more. Typically I stock 500g to 1kg as Keemun is my favorite breakfast tea.

Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 2 min.: This cup is nearly identical to the first one.

2nd Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz /194*F / 3 min.: This cup is a little less rich than the previous one.

A truly elegant and refined Keemun.

Thanks to KittyLovesTea for providing this free sample.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a Finum brew basket http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/29177-finum-brewing-basket.

caile

That’s interesting about the different brewing temperatures. My sample package said 194F and it was from the current year I thought…but I see the website does have it at 176F.

looseTman

Making sure one has the recommended brewing parameters for their tea sample significantly reduces potential frustration and insures the best first impression of a new tea. I don’t know which month of the year the new crop becomes available.

Another sample from Teavivre! thanks so much, Teavivre! I REALLY wanted to try most of the Keemun teas from Teavivre, since one of them will definitely be ordered in the future. I love the Premium Keemun Hao Ya black. This one seems to be one point lower in the Steepster rating at the moment, though it is supposed to be better quality. Teavivre’s instructions for this one are two teaspoons at 194 degrees with a rinse and 1,2,3 minute steep times. The dry leaves are mostly black with tinges of gold.

Steep #1 // 20 mins after boiling // 2 min after rinse
The wait was accidentally a bit longer than I would have liked. But looking at my tasting notes for the other Keemun, it seems I get a perfect cup after waiting 18 minutes and steeping for two minutes, so I’m glad it ended up being closer in time to compare! Before I take the first sip, the fragrance is much like sweet potatoes with marshmallow on top, not really smoke. I must note that this is NOT like Teavivre’s lighter sweet potato tasting teas (Tan Yang & Yun Nan Dian Hong Golden Tip), it just has that particular fragrance. The flavor itself is brisk enough without being astringent. I wouldn’t say there is any smokiness in the flavor or fragrance with this one. The Premium has a hint of smoke. The flavor in this one is like melted chocolate chips. Not necessarily dark chocolate like the Premium Hao Ya.

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
This one has a slight hint of flavor that says it would have been better with waiting for the water to cool a while. Teavivre has definitely perfected their steeping instructions… I will always follow their instructions as close as I can because when I do, the tea tastes better. It’s still a tasty cup though. I really like this tea, but I think my favorite is the Premium Hao Ya, because that one has a hint of smoke and dark chocolate, rather than the semi-sweet chocolate chips that this tea has. Either way, both teas are pure chocolate… and both are fantastic.

So after drinking some Caramel Vanilla Assam all day I wanted something different and new. So this is the 4th tea I got as a free sample from Teavivre’s very generous sample offer.
Opening the package I get woodsy, malty, grain-esque smells. It actually made me think of really good iced tea. Lol. Or the first time I had black dragon pearls, which is strange because they’re totally different teas. Lol.
I used 2 tsp in 195* water for 2:30min (I write this down because it is nigh impossible to use the slider selector bars while on an ipad).
Smells the same brewed as dry. First sip is …..oh man. I think this is the sort of tea I’ve been craving without actually knowing what I was looking for. It’s slightly woodsy, and fruity and sweet. I get almost a gentle smokeyness from the sip too.
I get a touch of bitterness and a medium strong astringency from the end of the sip, but it might just be because I overleafed my cup. Next time I might just try 1 1/2 tsp just to see.
Otherwise this tea is absolutely delicious. It might even become a staple in my cupboard after I’ve given it a few more tries….and pared down dome of my cupboard. It’s certainly not going into the swap bin. Lol!
I’m also going to have to give this a shot iced, though I haven’t decided if I want to straight up cold brew it or brew it hot then chill.

Kamyria

Mmmm… I’ll be trying this with my next Teavivre order… I wanted to order it this month but there was so many other samples I wanted to try. Definitely next time.

Terri HarpLady

I really enjoy this one, it is definitely one of my favorite Keemuns.

This keemun had a potently sweet aroma, but only a faint sweetness to the flavor, a delicate floral (my wife described it as hibiscus) taste. It left a satisfying mouthfeel that I’ve found missing from some of the teas I’ve had lately.

Sweet potato and earthy aroma with the pleasant taste of fruit, dark cocoa and tobacco coming through in the sip. I really do like this sweet and mellow tea – always reliable and always delicious! No bitterness or astringency. Can’t wait to try the new harvest.

This tea has a strong malty taste with slight hints of chocolate and brown sugar. It is quite sweet and not too rich.

205 °F / 96 °C