Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Honey, Flowers, Fruity, Malt, Smoke, Sweet Potatoes, Orchids, Sugarcane, Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Oats, Toast, Floral, Sweet, Salt, Earth, Yams, Astringent, Bitter, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “steepster is making me mad this morning. It won’t let me comment on people’s tasting notes, but it’s hit or miss…so sometimes i can, othertimes i can’t. I Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6037 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3113 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1956 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn’t sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1502 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 2 teaspoons for 17oz of water. Brew at 176℉ ( 80℃) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Another wonderful sample generously provided by Angel and Teavivre! Thanks!

This is my least favourite of the three blacks that I received in my most recent package – it was still wonderfully smooth, but there was less chocolate, and more of the “regular black tea” profile, that I don’t really care for (which consists of primarily hay-y notes, I think). Still an excellent quality tea, just not a profile that was to my liking.

This is truly a lovely tea experience. I have enjoyed all Keemun teas from TeaVivre, but I especially like that this is organic. The dry leaf is small, very dark with a few light buds mixed in, and tightly twisted. They feel airy and light as they go into the infuser. The smell is fresh and malty. The liquor is clear mahogany- very attractive to look at. The smell of the steeped tea is something particularly enjoyable as it is an unusual combination of honeyed flowers with malty yams or sweet potatoes. I can see why some people would think of brown sugar or baked goods, though this completely lacks any nuances of yeast or baked breads found in some other teas.

The taste of this tea is a deepening of the fragrance- mild, smooth, malty on the tongue with the notes of sweet flowers, malt, a hint of fruit (apricots?), and sweet potatoes. The malt is fine and low on the flavor profile. This tea takes many common Western black tea flavors and replaces them with delicate sweetness that is difficult to describe other than what I’ve said above. Do I like this tea? YES! I just placed an order with this vendor for Dragonwell and I am already planning my next..

In other news, Steepster is breaking again! Last night I couldn’t get back to reply to a discussion and today I can barely load any other tasting notes or reviews. I am liking other posts and the likes are vanishing right before my eyes. I also went to look at some of my historical notes and the number is there, but the review is gone. Thank goodness for this delicious tea to keep me calm while trying to load pages over and over. :)

Flavors: Flowers, Fruity, Honey, Malt, Smoke, Sweet Potatoes

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 0 sec 7 g 24 OZ / 709 ML

I just got this tea as a present from a friend of mine: what a nice surprise! I quite enjoy it! It has a strong, thick, and powerful taste: I detected floral tones, even in later infusions. I drinked also with milk and it fits well.

Flavors: Orchids, Sugarcane

This is the tea I chose this morning before going to the crêperie for brunch. It’s one of the many teas that boychik sent in our swap. I really loved the Keemun Mao Feng from TeaVivre, so I was excited to try this one as well. The leaves are small and thin and jet black in color. Dry scent is sweet and very bready. I steeped a level teaspoon for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Once infused, the tea smells like toast and honey! Yum. And the taste is very similar. It tastes just like a nice crisp toasted baguette with honey and perhaps a touch of butter smeared over the top. There are some raw grain notes here as well, perhaps oats, and just a touch of fruit preserves.

Entertainingly enough, I asked my boyfriend what he thought it tasted like and he said grass or toasted seaweed… Uh… what? :P

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Honey, Oats, Toast

boychik

My hubby would say it tastes like tea! The only diff he says shou pu is like tree bark

I have to admit that I’m a coffee drinker and green tea lover. I don’t usually pick a black tea during the day. Today I’ve decided to try this tea I have received from TeaVivre. I have to say that it will take me couple days to adjust to drinking black tea, especially after I drank 2 cups of strong coffee. I really like the taste but at the moment cannot distinguish all of the nuance and flavours of this tea. Hopefully with tasting more black tea I will become more knowledgeable and be able to talk about how it taste. Any tips for starters of black teas like me?

Marzipan

Maybe try some vastly different types, like the golden Yunnan types are so different than the Assams, so different from Darjeeling. Maybe if you hit the different ends of the spectrum, then you will be able to more easily see where things fall as you drink them. I have to say that the golden Yunnan teas were a revelation to me.

Helene

Marzipan: really great idea, I will do that. It is easier for me to grasp different flavors in a floral tea. If you have a moment could you kindly look at my cupboard and tell me in which order I should try my black teas? I would appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Marzipan

If you haven’t tried this one yet, it will be very different from the Keemun: http://steepster.com/teas/teavivre/21629-yun-nan-dian-hong-black-tea-golden-tip

Helene

Thanks Marzipan it will be my next one to taste.

If you’re finding black teas too wimpy compared to your coffee, you could always pick up the sampler pack of puerh that Garrett (mandala) has on right now, to see if that’s more up your alley. It’s reasonable to Canada and comes with the smart soak! Haha

This particular tea is a great Keemun though – teavivre has some great greens and blacks (others so well, but I’m not as much a fan of whites and oolongs personally)

Helene

Hi Marzipan I am trying the Yun Nan Dian Hong Black Tea Golden Tip this morning. It is nice smooth tea, not strong. Thanks!

Helene

Sil: thanks I will look into this. I could drink green all day but I want to try other teas as well.

Received my Anniversary order today. So happy since we are going to Philly for 5 days. I wouldn’t want to leave my package unattended. Guess what, mail lady left it on a top of the mail box. She didn’t bother to bring it on the deck. Anyone driving by would be able to snatch my box. The saddest part is it probably would be non tea drinker.

Back to the tea. I made it according to Teavivre’s parameters.
175F 3G 8 oz 2 min

The cup is beautiful golden color and very aromatic . It’s chocolaty fruity and very smooth. Perhaps too smooth for me.
i wonder why Teavivre suggests such a low temp.
Last year notes are 195F. Should I increase temp? Anybody tried new harvest and have better parameters? Resteep was not bad but kinda flat.

I think this tea would be perfect for some beginners into loose leaf or someone who is afraid of strong or smoky flavors

Marzipan

The notes on my sample size of this were 194.

boychik

That makes me think that maybe you have last year sample. I went on website and it is 175F. Did you like it? It has profile similar to Bailin.

yyz

Weird, I’ve only needed to go that low with one of my tippy black teas otherwise it would get this vitamin C tinge to it.

boychik

I will try 195F next time. It makes more sense. I’m just wondering if I care for Keemun a all…

“at all”

Marzipan

Loved it. I reviewed it a few days ago.

looseTman

Perhaps Angel could give us an update on brewing TeaVivre’s 2014 Keemun teas?

looseTman

Marzipan, How did you brew your sample?

Tealizzy

My package says 176 degrees for 1-2 minutes, and my first cup of this tea turned out good, but I may have had it on a day I microwaved my water at work, so who knows how hot that was! Probably was hotter than 176.

195 for I think 2 mins.

Terri HarpLady

Oops! I always brew it a boiling temp!

MzPriss

Me too Terri

Marzipan,
What quantities? tsp. (g) / oz. Thanks

TeaVivre

dear all, the Recommend Brewing Guide on our web is the best taste for us. And everyone is different, so the best taste for you is different. You can try different temp./quantities to find a best way for you to brew the tea.
Good luck.

This is a 2013 sample I got last year, but it’s been stored in its original unopened pouch inside a tightly-lidded tea-tin, so I don’t think it’ll have lost very much flavour and aroma, though both might be more muted than if it were very fresh.

I steeped about 5g of this in 200ml of 95C water or a bit cooler, for 30-45s per steep, and got 4 good steeps from it; I steeped the first time using on-the-boil water (because UK children are taught in primary school that tea is brewed in boiling water and it’s anathema to brew it in anything less) and this made it very astringent, but using cooler water took all the bitterness away.

The scent is like a subdued summer flower-garden, and the taste is mildly sweet with a smoky hint, and lightly oily.

Pleasant and easy-going as a light and uplifting morning drink. I’d rate this in the mid-80s – I like it a lot but it’s not quite as more-ish as my favourite black teas.

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Smoke, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 45 sec 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Sometimes I get so engrossed in all of the golden fuzzy snaily yummy monkey picked bits of awesome out there that I forget about Keemun.

KEEMUN is good, y’all! This one especially. It was exactly what I needed today after two failed tea experiments. I needed something that I was sure would be a home run, and turned to TeaVivre for that. TeaVivre never lets me down.

This was a hearty black tea, and it had a little extra oomph – almost a Darjeeling type flavor, sort of grapey, but not like candy grapey, more like wine grapey. I am really bad at describing flavors but this tea definitely had more dimensions than I anticipated that it would. Really yummy. Thank you Angel for the sample!

There was an earthquake last night, or shall I say, really early this morning. My husband and I woke up to our bed moving side to side like we were in a rowboat! And it lasted so long! Really freaky, considering I haven’t felt one like that in probably two decades. Turns out the epicenter was between American Canyon and Napa…not very far from us and the magnitude was 6.0! Our house is fine, but our kitties completely disappeared! Poor kitties! There is a bunch of damage in Napa though.

So, after all that, I enjoyed a cup of this tea this morning. Figured I should have something comforting and this hit the spot! The last time I had this one, I made it with microwaved water at work and loved it. Trouble is, I have no idea what the temperature of the water was. Someone on here was remarking that the recommended steeping temperature was too low, and I think I might agree. I steeped this one at 176 degrees for 2 minutes. It still tastes great, but I think the microwaved cup hot more flavor, and I’m assuming that cup was hotter than 176 degrees. So, maybe some trials at 185 and 195 might be in my future to really see which temperature brings out the most flavor. This time, I got more of the smokiness, and less of the cocoa. Still a great cup and it was gone way too fast!

Rosehips

I felt it too! It was really confusing at first, I didn’t know what had happened, but after I figured out nothing was going to fall on me, I relaxed a little. I hope your kitties are alright.

NofarS

I’m glad that you are OK.

Tealizzy

Ya, the kitties are fine. They showed up for breakfast right on time! What part of the Bay Area are you in?

Thanks, NofarS!

Mercuryhime

I’d glad that you and kitties are okay. They probably have some clever kitty shelter for such occasions. :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh my…so scary. Glad you are ok!

Rosehips

I’m actually in the valley, so the earthquake is just a shaking, not the full on feeling of a quake. Still, if you can feel it here, you can tell its a big one. Glad the kitties came back. Breakfast is a powerful pull.

I’m glad I ordered a full ounce of this and probably should have gotten more since my son has decided that he favors it too (here’s hoping he doesn’t swipe it when he heads back to college next week). The dry leaves had malt overtones, which came out even more in the brew. There were also floral notes, some smoke, and, oddly, I thought I detected a certain saltiness in the aftertaste. I’ll have to brew it again to see if I was imagining that. Next time will be in a gaiwan because I think this will reveal very different characteristics over several shorter steeps. Really lovely soft mouth feel and an all-around fine tea.

Flavors: Floral, Malt, Salt, Smoke