Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea

Floral, Flowers, Smoke, Sweet, Malt, Salt, Earth, Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Astringent, Bitter, Tannin
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “steepster is making me mad this morning. It won't let me comment on people's tasting notes, but it's hit or miss...so sometimes i can, othertimes i can't. I WILL NOT BE SILENCED DAMNIT! lol i am...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4942 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I started my day with! My tea drinking gameplan today had been to sample all of the Keemuns in my collection, so I started with this one. Then I left the house to meet my friend,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2957 tasting notes
  • “Alas! I am out of this one! I think this means I am now officially out of ALL Keemun tea, which means an order is in order. I just placed a Teavivre order but didn't realize I was so low on this...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1828 tasting notes
  • “I wanted something I hadn't sipped in a while. This one jumped out of the drawer shouting drink me, drink me! Took a scoop and the fragrance of the dry leaf in the press is so good. Cocoa, grain,...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1317 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Mt. Huangshan(黄山) in Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: Tight and thin shape of dry tea leaves, which has Keemun fragrance, a unique fruity flavor mixed with fragrance of sweet potatoes and flower

Harvest time: April 15, 2013

Taste: It tastes sweet, fruity and floral flavor; smooth and mellow taste in mouth. Aftertaste acts quickly and lasts long

Brew: 2 teaspoons for 17oz of water. Brew at 176℉ ( 80℃) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Keemun black tea is fully oxidised, and so does not have the same level of antioxidants as our Green or White teas. However it still makes a great healthy tea to drink, especially if drunk with no or minimal milk and sugar, and provides a great natural source of fluoride and other vitamins.

About Teavivre View company

Sometimes I get so engrossed in all of the golden fuzzy snaily yummy monkey picked bits of awesome out there that I forget about Keemun.

KEEMUN is good, y’all! This one especially. It was exactly what I needed today after two failed tea experiments. I needed something that I was sure would be a home run, and turned to TeaVivre for that. TeaVivre never lets me down.

This was a hearty black tea, and it had a little extra oomph – almost a Darjeeling type flavor, sort of grapey, but not like candy grapey, more like wine grapey. I am really bad at describing flavors but this tea definitely had more dimensions than I anticipated that it would. Really yummy. Thank you Angel for the sample!

There was an earthquake last night, or shall I say, really early this morning. My husband and I woke up to our bed moving side to side like we were in a rowboat! And it lasted so long! Really freaky, considering I haven’t felt one like that in probably two decades. Turns out the epicenter was between American Canyon and Napa…not very far from us and the magnitude was 6.0! Our house is fine, but our kitties completely disappeared! Poor kitties! There is a bunch of damage in Napa though.

So, after all that, I enjoyed a cup of this tea this morning. Figured I should have something comforting and this hit the spot! The last time I had this one, I made it with microwaved water at work and loved it. Trouble is, I have no idea what the temperature of the water was. Someone on here was remarking that the recommended steeping temperature was too low, and I think I might agree. I steeped this one at 176 degrees for 2 minutes. It still tastes great, but I think the microwaved cup hot more flavor, and I’m assuming that cup was hotter than 176 degrees. So, maybe some trials at 185 and 195 might be in my future to really see which temperature brings out the most flavor. This time, I got more of the smokiness, and less of the cocoa. Still a great cup and it was gone way too fast!

Rosehips

I felt it too! It was really confusing at first, I didn’t know what had happened, but after I figured out nothing was going to fall on me, I relaxed a little. I hope your kitties are alright.

NofarS

I’m glad that you are OK.

Tealizzy

Ya, the kitties are fine. They showed up for breakfast right on time! What part of the Bay Area are you in?

Tealizzy

Thanks, NofarS!

Mercuryhime

I’d glad that you and kitties are okay. They probably have some clever kitty shelter for such occasions. :)

TheTeaFairy

Oh my…so scary. Glad you are ok!

Rosehips

I’m actually in the valley, so the earthquake is just a shaking, not the full on feeling of a quake. Still, if you can feel it here, you can tell its a big one. Glad the kitties came back. Breakfast is a powerful pull.

I’m glad I ordered a full ounce of this and probably should have gotten more since my son has decided that he favors it too (here’s hoping he doesn’t swipe it when he heads back to college next week). The dry leaves had malt overtones, which came out even more in the brew. There were also floral notes, some smoke, and, oddly, I thought I detected a certain saltiness in the aftertaste. I’ll have to brew it again to see if I was imagining that. Next time will be in a gaiwan because I think this will reveal very different characteristics over several shorter steeps. Really lovely soft mouth feel and an all-around fine tea.

Flavors: Floral, Malt, Salt, Smoke

This remains the best Keemun ever for me cause it’s different from any others I have tried. There’s no smoke at all, yay! It’s all about the tea’s glorious floral and fruity fragrances.

No wonder this makes such a great morning tea, it will awake all your senses in no time.

The floral part is not an “in your face” bouquet, but more like the subtle taste you get when rose petals are added to a blend. It’s just very soft and delicate.

There’s a nice little tang in this cup, tastes a bit like a good quality apple cider.

It’s sweet and malty, slightly earthy, and I notice a certain saltiness at the end of the sip.

It’s not a “heavy” black tea, it feels very clear and clean to me.

This was my last cup, as I just used what I had left but it’s a definite restock!

Oh, and Dexter (my dog) gave it the “sniff of approval”! It’s so funny, cause he couldn’t care less about some of the teas I drink, but some will have his nostrils go berserk! I guess he knows something special when he smells it! A true canine tea sommelier extraordinaire ;-)

Cheri

I love the way “canine tea sommelier extraordinaire” sounds. :D

Ysaurella

Does Dexter desserves this :http://www.lefigaro.fr/sortir-paris/2011/03/22/03013-20110322ARTFIG00678-luxe-ces-enseignes-qui-ont-du-chien.php
?
I’m sure it’s a real dog and real tea sommelier :)

TheTeaFairy

Lol, Ysaurella, that was hilarious and completely ridiculous! I think Dexter prefers his mistress’s comfy rustic bedroom to those fancy hotels…even if they’re in Paris!
(A Cavalli coat might be something to consider though ;-))

This is another old sample from Angel, that I am finishing up. I’m REALLY, REALLY sad to have this one gone. It is one of those moments where you keep checking the empty bag, hoping that more tea will magically appear.

I didn’t read over my last tasting note for this, so don’t know if what I tasted this time is the same as last time, but, I’ll look back over it and see. I think, though, that I wasn’t as used to tea when I first started drinking Teavivire’s teas, so while I enjoyed some, my notes were not always as accurate as they are now. And that’s ok, because maturating happens in every aspect of life!

Anyway, on to the tea—

Malt is the first taste I can easily identify, and it’s a pleasant, thick taste, with this sweet, almost chocolate like taste mixed in. It’s not overpowering, and it has a nice fullness to it—a full mouth-feel, for sure. If you sip it slowly, to me it is almost as if you want to chew it, it’s that good and feels so rich in your mouth. It’s also sweet, without being too sweet, and this is another tea that I kept having cup after cup. I am still in denial that it is gone.

Aside from the malt, I can’t describe any of the other tastes by name, except that there was, as I said, a sweetness to it, and this chocolate taste. I really do love it, and I wish I could provide more details as to why I love it, but I can’t quite put it into words. It’s just a really great tasting tea!

I’m going to be getting more at some point, for sure. And not sharing it next time…

Flavors: Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

Dry, in the packet, this sample smelled really appealing…..very “tea”-ish and already complex. I steeped this western style, 3 minutes at 190 degrees (using a meat thermometer…i hope that counts!). There is a delicate earthy balance as a bottom note to this tea. It sounds like an oxymoron to have a delicate earth note (they are very overpowering in many keemuns) but the earth note in this tea is like the tail to a kite….it gives support and a touch of weight so that the rest of the notes in this tea can…well…take flight in your mouth, I guess! There is a sweet potato and grain note that marries well with a malty flavor that is hitting the underside of my tongue. I love when teas activate different parts of my palate!! I’m not detecting much astringency in this cup, which works for me on most occasions, as I don’t usually like much of it anyways.

This is a wonderful Keemun that I will be buying again…..and looking forward to it!

Flavors: Earth, Malt, Sweet Potatoes, Yams

190 °F / 87 °C 3 min, 0 sec 7 g 1 OZ / 29 ML
looseTman

A meat thermometer! Here’s a tea-specific one: http://steepster.com/teaware/davidstea/36677-thermometer-and-timer

Or, alternatively:

A like your kite analogy and TeaVivre Keemuns – YUM!

donkeytiara

looseTman I can’t seem to locate the thermometer and timer ad David’s teas….. can you?

donkeytiara

Drats. Sold out.

Well, hello Steepster, ol’ buddy ol’ pal,

How ya been?

In my effort to be more active with the various social media outlets at my disposal, I completely forgot about the one that is directly tea-related. Leave it to a day off to allow me to make steep-related reparations.

I actually received this sample a few months back, but with my major tea backlog, I didn’t get to it until – well – now. I hate that about myself.

This is…whoah.

As far as Keemuns go, it is perhaps the cleanest sipping experience. Floral, wood-sweet, but with a Keemun kick toward the end. It’s more medium-bodied than robust – unlike Mao Feng or Gong Fu…or even Hao Ya grades of Keemun that I’ve had. That said, still a mighty fine experience.

Geoffrey,
A very incisive impression & Keemun comparison!

I haven’t had many Keemun’s one I had was quite smokey and another was bright, fruity and almost menthol. This one is quite nice, it reminds me of a slightly more savoury and less sharp tasting version of another favourite tea of mine. Many thanks to Angel at Teavivre for selecting this sample for me to try. I quite enjoyed it and can easily see why it is a staple for many.

I steeped 1tsp in 200ml at @90°C for 4 steeps (1, 1.3, 2, and 4 min).

The dry leaf smelled of rye bread dusted with icing sugar and a hint of cocoa. The leaves were tightly twisted with occasional reddish golden brown tips.

After, the first steep the scent of the tea was lightly smokey roasted notes, citrus/longan, sweet potato, a bright citrousy floral, hint of cocoa, a peppery nasturtium note, and the upper notes of malt. Overall the effect was quite savoury.

The flavour of early steeps had a sharp longan top note settling into a grainy note that instantly develops into a honeyed floral cocoa note over roasted sweet potato, quite lovely and light, yet rich, smooth and creamy in the mouth. The floral note is a combination of spicy clover and carnation.

Later steeps were slightly sweeter and deeper with grainy notes becoming dominant, with lovely peppery, cocoa, grain notes, mixed with floral notes. Eventually the sweetness subsides in later steeps leaving prominent grain notes.

I really enjoyed this tea and am glad it is regularly available as I could see it being a nice replacement for one of my favourite aliexpress teas which I may not be able to buy again. Thanks again Angel!

caile

Such a nice review – I want to have a cup of this right now. ;)

Taking a break from my lovely white tea gaiwan session for a cup of this. Fruity and grainy, I like this tea quite a lot. It fits the bill as a perfect afternoon (well, late afternoon) tea. This is an easily drinkable tea as well, I might have to dabble in a few more Keemuns to see how they compare. When I get around to making a Teavivre order, this is a strong contender for a black tea to have in my cupboard, as it’s a refreshing change from all my honey dripping Yunnan black teas haha. See previous notes :)

Michelle Butler Hallett

Keemuns can be sooooo good.

MissLena

I haven’t tried any except this one haha but I am tempted to try a few more.. :D

TeaVivre

So glad you like this tea. Hope you have a comfortable afternoon accompanied by our teas.

MissLena

Thanks!! I definitely enjoyed it :) I’ve actually been compiling a list tonight of my favorites for my order I will place with you guys! So tough to choose :) I still have a few more to try before ordering as well!

TeaVivre

Thanks for your supporting,and hope you will find your favorite teas:)

“What’s in your cup?”
This morning I brewed Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant Black Tea by TeaVivre:
6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 1, 2, & 3 min. without sweeteners, milk, or cream.
The Western method directions call for 7 g & 8 oz. Since the sample package contained 6.5 g, I used 7.5 oz. In my eagerness to taste TeaVivre’s top Keemun I forgot the recommended rise before brewing.

Note: To TeaVivre’s credit, I understand their brewing recommendations are determined and optimized through tastings of each new batch and thus may vary from year to year. This sample was from the previous year. Thus, I followed the previous Western brewing recommendations: 8 oz. / 7 g / 194*F / Rinse 1, 2, 3 min.

The Western brewing recommendations for the current year are: 17oz / 6 g / 176℉ / 2-5 min.

Leaf: dark chocolate brown, short, & uniform
Fragrance: subtle Keemun & fine pipe tobacco
Liquor: clear Medium-dark copper
Aroma: Mild Keemun
Flavor:
A rich, full-bodied, refined Keemun with notes of cocoa & caramel that is warm, mellow and relaxing especially as the cup cooled to ~150*F. I truly enjoy both this Keemun as well as their Premium Keemun Hao Ya. I would very much welcome samples of this year’s Organic Superfine Keemun Fragrant and Premium Keemun Hao Ya to brew with both the current Western & Gong Fu recommendations as I am completely out of Keemun and need to order more. Typically I stock 500g to 1kg as Keemun is my favorite breakfast tea.

Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz / 194*F / 2 min.: This cup is nearly identical to the first one.

2nd Re-steep 6.5 g / 7.5 oz /194*F / 3 min.: This cup is a little less rich than the previous one.

A truly elegant and refined Keemun.

Thanks to KittyLovesTea for providing this free sample.

Method:
RO water re-mineralized with an Aptera filter http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/39532-puregen-aptera-alkamag-water-filter
Brewed western-style conveniently in a tea mug with a Finum brew basket http://steepster.com/teas/teaware/29177-finum-brewing-basket.

caile

That’s interesting about the different brewing temperatures. My sample package said 194F and it was from the current year I thought…but I see the website does have it at 176F.

looseTman

Making sure one has the recommended brewing parameters for their tea sample significantly reduces potential frustration and insures the best first impression of a new tea. I don’t know which month of the year the new crop becomes available.