Organic Dehydrated Camellia

Herbal Tea
Hay, Orange Blossom, Flowers, Nuts
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “New Samples from TeaVivre! Woot! Not going to rate this until I get to fix it without the microwave. I quickly looked at the picture and thought what came out of the bag would be hard like nuts....” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1418 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I really enjoyed this offering from Teavivre. I loved the pollen-y quality to it. I find myself wondering how drinking something like this will help reduce seasonal allergies ... but...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4663 tasting notes
  • “Oh boy did I have too much caffeine today! 4-5 large cups of black tea. Last sip at around 5pm. I am still feeling shaky. Why didn't someone stop me! So what to drink tonight? Thankfully,...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 520 tasting notes
  • “What is a Camellia? Camellia, the camellias, is a genus of flowering plants in the family Theaceae. They are found in eastern and southern Asia, from the Himalayas east to Japan and Indonesia. -...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1160 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Lin’an, Zhejiang, China

Ingredients: Organic Dehydrated Camellia

Harvest time: Oct 15, 2013

Taste: Gentle taste, soft and smooth, with the aftertaste of dry persimmon

Brew: 10 to 15 pieces for one brew

Health Benefits: Camellia helps to control the excitement of nerves in a normal limit, improve your sleeping quality, and anti-ages. Also camellia can help to clean wastes in intestines and stomach, loss weight, reduce blood pressure, protect liver and kidney, clear heat and help you keeping fit. It’s an optimistic option for middle ages and elders.

About Teavivre View company

New Samples from TeaVivre! Woot! Not going to rate this until I get to fix it without the microwave. I quickly looked at the picture and thought what came out of the bag would be hard like nuts. Nope. It’s real soft. I steeped with below boiling water for maybe three minutes. The resulting brew is pretty clear. It has a little bit of honey color but not much. I’m wondering will this have any flavor? But of course. The website says it has a persimmon aftertaste. I was expecting closer to chamomile. It does not taste like our persimmons and definitely not chamomile. What I got is something very similar to white tea. Subtle but deep. Even prepared poorly I like this. If I were to rate it I would say mid to high 80’s. Don’t fear the Herbal. Need more cowbell?

ashmanra

I have been eyeing this one. I may have to take the plunge on my next order.

Claire

Oh KS, now I have that song stuck in my head!

ashmanra

I gotta fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!

K S

You gotta recycle the classics every now and then. Stay tuned for Dancing Queen ;p

K S

I noticed the only other review of this at the moment thought it tasted like oolong. That is cool when a cup can give up such different impressions.

gmathis

Oh, thanks…now I’m going to dream Abba dreams all night.

Backlog:

I really enjoyed this offering from Teavivre. I loved the pollen-y quality to it. I find myself wondering how drinking something like this will help reduce seasonal allergies … but probably not so much unless one happens to be surrounded by tea plants since it is camellia sinensis. This time of year is hell on me with my allergies. Fortunately, they have gotten considerably better after a couple of years of consuming quite a bit of locally harvested raw honey. Still have the allergies, but they aren’t nearly as severe.

Anyway, back to the tea. Or tisane. I enjoyed this. I brewed it a bit strong but I’m glad I did, because I really enjoyed it the way it was brewed. Sweet, honey-esque and floral. Pleasant. I like!

My full-length review is here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/02/01/organic-dehydrated-camellia-from-teavivre/

Oh boy did I have too much caffeine today! 4-5 large cups of black tea. Last sip at around 5pm. I am still feeling shaky. Why didn’t someone stop me! So what to drink tonight? Thankfully, Angel sent me a sample of this lovely herbal! I’m always up for caffeine free stuff! But what the heck is a camellia anyway? Camellia sinensis is the tea plant, so is this tea its flowers?
Wikipedia to the rescue!
I can’t believe I used to go to the library to use Encyclopedias and books to do research.
So from what I gather, this may not necessarily be the flower of Camellia Sinensis but any of genus Camellia’s many species. In any case, it’s a beautiful flower.

The dried buds are light as feathers and smelled like sun dried hay and honey. The brew is sweet and reminds me of chrysanthemum, but less herby. I actually like this a whole lot. I can see the dried persimmon after taste Teavivre is describing here. Nice.

Now let’s hope this helps me push the caffeine out of my system so that I can sleep tonight. :(

LiberTEAS

I could be wrong here, but, I don’t think that this is completely caffeine free, since it does come from the Camellia Sinensis plant … but, it is certainly lower in caffeine than the leaf.

Mercuryhime

You might be right! Well that sucks… I feel stupid now. haha

What is a Camellia? Camellia, the camellias, is a genus of flowering plants in the family Theaceae. They are found in eastern and southern Asia, from the Himalayas east to Japan and Indonesia. – Thank you Wikipedia. :)

I ordered this tea thinking Camellia may be similar to Chamomile even though I am not a fan of Chamomile but wanted the chance to try something new. The flowers look similar, they are mostly small whole yellow flowers with virtually no fragrance. The quality looks very nice and fresh.

Brewed with the given instructions this tea forms a honeyed yellow colour that has a slight toasty and floral scent.

I’m completely surprised by the flavour…I thought it would be overpoweringly floral and perfumey but it’s nothing of the sort. Instead this tea tastes toasty and sweet, similar to an Oolong but not as strong. It does pick up in flavour the more you drink and starts to remind me of genmaicha but less thick and ricey.

Overall I am finding myself liking it more and more. I can’t believe this doesn’t have any reviews yet! A wonderful in-between tea drink that will cleanse the pallet nicely.

Kittenna

I saw this and was super curious about what it was! Definitely looked like chamomile. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

TeaVivre

Maybe next time you can try brew it with green tea too!

This was very different than I was expecting. I thought it would be a little sweeter, and more like chamomile. I see in the description, that they mention persimmon and I definitely get that. I like this, but not enough to order it.

Honestly, I thought this was chamomile when I asked for this sample. So I didn’t quite know what to expect once I realized it wasn’t. The dry pieces smell like sweet, toasted rice. There’s something else, too, that I can’t quite describe. I assume it’s the persimmon identified in the Teavivre description, since I’ve never actually had persimmon.

This tisane brews up a nice, lemony yellow. And the taste is fantastic! Nothing at all like chamomile, for sure. Closer to sencha. Toasted rice, sweetness, a touch of corn… and again that something else that I can’t articulate. I think the lesson here is that I need to hit my local Chinese market and try some persimmon!

This is a nice sleepy-time tea.

K S

I love your description. I thought it kind of tasted like white tea. We have about 100 persimmon trees on our property. The local persimmons taste nothing like Camellia. They are very sweet and have a high pucker factor. Makes for a great dessert pudding or bread. Maybe Chinese persimmons are completely different. Teavivre says to try mixing this with green tea.

Water: I boiled 8oz water & let it cool slightly

Leaves: mini yellow-ish brown flower buds

Steep: 3 minutes

Aroma: floral

Color: pale yellow almost clear

Taste: I made this tea the same day as the blooming tea,I had no luck with this one either it was tasteless as well. Maybe I should have let it brew longer time I’m going to give it another go. I’ve been having difficulty writing reviews b/c I haven’t been getting much taste from my teas.

Second Tea Log

This time when I made this tea I mixed it with green tea the a second batch with white.It was better from when i first tried it.My first time blending teas together.

KittyLovesTea

The idea behind this tea is to blend it with another tea to create your own unique flavour. I remember trying it by itself and it was a little toasty and floral but once I mixed it with some green tea it added to the flavour and was much nicer. If you have any left it may be worth a try. :)

TeaVivre

Yes, you can mix it with green tea, or white tea.

Alreot

Thank you, I never thought to mix teas before I will give it a try :)

Hmm. Maybe I brewed this incorrectly but it was so, so flowery and flat for me. I will try it again, but I’m really sad because this is the only tea I haven’t liked so far from Tea Vivre.

These beautiful camellia flowers brew a rather tangy tisane. It reminds me of orange blossoms, but without the bitter intense qualities of those. There are definite notes of hay. The overall flavor is a rather earthy one that is not unlike some white teas I’ve had. It reminds me particularly of a brick-aged white tea I’ve had from Shang Tea.

There’s not a lot to say because this flavor seems unique and I don’t have a great point of comparison. I could see it tasting somewhat persimmon like, as others had said. This is one of those you really have to try yourself!

Flavors: Hay, Orange Blossom

I found a nice new paradise today. Located downtown-ish is a lovely walled in garden with a conservatory and loads of beautiful flowers. The Kauffman Memorial Gardens is going to be my new haven when I am desperately seeking an environment that is more nature filled, hopefully come summer there will be the occasional mushroom peaking out from amid the flowers.

Speaking of flowers, today’s tea from Teavivre is one! Organic Dehydrated Camellia from the Lin’an Tea Garden in Zhejiang, is the dried flower of a member of the Camellia family, the same family that the beloved Camellia Sinensis comes from. I am not sure if this is the flower from the tea plant or one of the other Camellia variants, regardless, drinking tea (or tisane if you are fancy) made from flowers is one of my great passions. The aroma is a bit surprising, instead of smelling like flowers it smells like a blend of baking bread, cooked squash, and dried persimmons. It is really quite a fascinating aroma, very warm and almost autumnal in its quality.

The now quite soggy flowers are sweet and toasty, quite similar to actual toast with a hint of burnt marshmallow and a finish of cooked fruit. The liquid without the flowers smells exactly the same as the wet flowers, the aroma is very warm and welcoming. One of those times it feels like the aroma is reaching out and giving me a nice warm hug.

My first word of advice, don’t treat these like a normal herbal tea, in other words, boiling is a no go. I am sure that Teavivre has steeping instructions on the website, but for all my staring at it I just could not find it. I attempted boiling water and four minutes for my first attempt and, well, I won’t go into too much details about how it tasted. Long story short, it was not too pleasant. After browsing around the interwebs I discovered the best option is between 180-190 degrees for two minutes. That result was significantly better!

The taste is honey sweet, specifically it reminds me of the richness of clover honey and the sweetness of straw. If you have ever chewed on a piece of straw you know it has that distinctly warm sweetness, and this tea shares it. It fades to ripe persimmon fruit and the idea of flowers. A strange description, but it does not taste like flowers, it is very much so a sensation that is more aroma than taste, and very faint at that. The aftertaste is that of corn silk. A perfectly floral end to a floral day.

For blog and photos (including a link to photos of the gardens) : http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/04/teavivre-organic-dehydrated-camellia.html