Nonpareil Anxi Qing Xiang TieGuanYin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Floral, Flowers, Gardenias, Osmanthus, Perfume
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

2 Images

• “I’m not sure why I purchase another sample of this one with one of my Teavivre orders. I think I thought that I hadn’t tried it before, which is crazy because it is one of my all-time...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2064 tasting notes
  • “I saved the leaves from my first sampling of this sample sent by Teavivre for review. I almost didn’t want to use them because the first steep had been so amazingly good...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1920 tasting notes
  • “Good golly this is amazing! The floral aspects are perfection but there is a melon-y aspect that is surprising and delicious! This goes on the TO ORDER list! This may just end up being a staple...” Read full tasting note
    azzrian 807 tasting notes
  • “Quite possibly the finest ti guan yin of my life. The scent of the leaves alone was enough to send me into ecstasy. It’s like being in the best most fragrant flower garden. Absolutely...” Read full tasting note
    Mercuryhime 521 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Nanqi(南崎), Long Juan, Anxi in Fujian Province

Ingredients: Hand-made

Harvest time: October 10, 2014

Taste: Tastes fresh and lovely. The fragrance of orchid will be tasted from first sip. It feels clean and mellow in mouth, has sweet aftertastes and long-lasting flavor.

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being 60%_70% fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the effects of aging and bacterial infections

About Teavivre View company

Making a placeholder for this so I can fill it in later, just reminding myself I am in fact trying this today. Sorry guys.

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

First steep exceeded my expectations. It’s very floral of course, but not in an obnoxious way. And there is an almost menthol like refreshing sensation with each sip.

Second through fourth steeps were very consistent in flavour. But on my fifth steep I started tasting some nectarine (fruit) notes along with spices.

Sixth through seventh steeps were still very flavourful with a nice touch of sweetness.

I have not gone out of my way to try many tie guan yin teas, but this one really impressed me. I’m not even sure what else I would expect from this tea. Just an amazing experience all around. :)

100 ml gaiwan, sample size, 7 steeps and rinse

I have no words that haven’t already been said about this tea. It’s just…. Wow.

ashmanra

Yep. Wow.

My husband (an oolong fan), and I received a sample of this premium Oolong (October 2012 harvest). My husband asked me to order more, telling me it was the best Oolong he has ever had. It has the floral aroma and taste you would expect from a high quality Tie Guan Yin. It has a clean, refreshing finish. Very nice.

Boiling

Thanks to Angel from Teavivre for this sample.

The leaves (both dry and when initially wet) surprised me with their extremely bright green color, which inevitably led to a highly “green” liquor—very floral and herbaceous taste with pale-green liquor coloration, a crisp mouthfeel, and a general lack of persistent, full aroma. I’ll chalk this one up as another modern “green tea” tieguanyin and move on. The flavors were of the general tieguanyin spectrum, although were more subdued than those of other similar spring tieguanyin*, so I won’t go into much detail there. Instead, I’ll focus on the aromatic and textural qualities that set this one apart (for better or worse).

I generally prefer the autumn harvests of tieguanyin for their more pervasive aromatics and depth, especially with this kind of lightly- or un-roasted tieguanyin. I found the fragrance of this one to be quite lacking, as I alluded to above, which seemed to bring out the highest overall intensity after the wash and then fade quickly throughout the session. The scent on the gaiwan lid was fleeting after each steep, while my tasting cup had little to no lengxiang (lit. cold fragrance; the scent leftover after the liquor has been drained). However, I found there to be dimensions of the wet leaves’ fragrance that were unique, such as a deeply vegetal, “green wood” quality that was somewhere in the earthy spectrum of scents.

I found the mouthfeel and general “form” of the liquor to be quite enjoyable. I noticed almost no astringency whatsoever, and a long smoothness for each sip. Although the textural dimensions remained on the light side during the opening and development of a sip, the finish was sticky and somewhat thick, with a faint cooling sensation in the throat. With more leaf in the gaiwan*, a small tartness in the throat is detectable, although the information Teavivre provides for this tea indicates that it shouldn’t have this quality because of the lack of tuo suan during processing. Again, it didn’t seem to be there with lower quantities of leaf (as in half the sample pack per 100 mL of water), but it wasn’t a negative quality to me regardless.

*Using a bit more than half the bag will result in more intense/full flavors, at the expense of some smoothness, in my experiences. Both produce sessions that are good in their own right, depending on what qualities you desire. Teavivre seems to recommend the entire bag for gaiwan brewing, but for my preferences the cramping of the leaves at that concentration produces a sub-optimum infusion.

190 °F / 87 °C

This is what I like to find in a Tie Guan Yin. Beautiful floral notes of gardenias and jasmine. This one carries a bit more vegetal notes when I taste the tea than I was expecting. But still, a good tea through and through.

Hmm, I remember this one being more delicious than it turned out today. It might be because the original sample packet was so airtight that when I threw the rests of it into a ziploc, it wasn’t enough? Anyway, it’s hard to explain but it seems to have a more damp taste to it than before. It’s not as clean and sweet as I remember. Good thing I have unopened samples to retry!

Is it annyoing if I say I agree with ALL the good comments. haha. It is a great tea. I bought about 5 Ooolongs this month and this was my favorite. 100% for me.

Write me if you have any questions. SO GOOD.

Also tried this iced. Mmmmmm. Didnt need long to open up and bring out the flavor. 30-60 seconds was plenty

This tea is AMAZING. I love this oolong. It is floral and green and slightly smokey. I love how the leaves unfurl slowly. I was able to get 3 steeps out of this until I started getting distracted. My baby enjoyed watching the leaves as well. Great oolong!

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this amazing sample!

First off, I don’t think I have ever opened a tea packaged up so nicely. It was in vacuumed sealed pouch inside of another vacuum sealed pouch. I brewed the entire 7g in my gaiwan. I did 2 rinses to open up the leaves and then shamelessly neglected the TeaVivre steeping instructions for the first steep but quickly corrected my wrong doing.

I under steeped this a bit for the first infusion. It was a bit on the light side, but still wonderful. It is a very smooth floral oolong. Others have mentioned peach notes, but I did not get too many fruity notes to this cup, it is mostly just smooth flowers. The smoothness of this tea is what amazes me the most. With a lot of TieGuanYin teas I get a bit of a bitterness, with this tea there was absolutely none. Another wonderful offering from TeaVivre!