Guang Dong Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Cherry Wood, Dark Wood, Raspberry, Smoke, Sweet, Leather, Lychee, Sweet Potatoes, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Roasted, Stonefruits, Fruity, Vegetal, Char, Cherry, Peach, Cocoa, Grapes, Tannin
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I did not know what to expect with this one. The dry leaf looks more like black tea than oolong. The dry scent is kind of grape/malt/cocoa with very mild roasted hints. When I put the leaf in my...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1543 tasting notes
  • “In raw form this tea is dark brown, thin, very long and has a leather, dried fruit scent. Sweet but with dark under tones. I can see quite a few leaf stems. Once steeped the tea soup is...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1242 tasting notes
  • “It’s strange – the first time I tasted this I got notes of peach and grape. This time? It’s very seaweedish. Strong, and roasty. Also, a little bitter. The directions said to...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1771 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this is a dark-leaved oolong. I literally went "Ooh" when I opened the packet. The leaves are long and almost black. They’re flat, and smell very sweet. I haven’t had an...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 517 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Phoenix Mountain(凤凰山), Guangdong, China

Ingredients: Narcissus specie: origins in Shuiji Town in Jianyang, Fujian

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Strong aroma of sweet potato, sweet aftertaste, shows a strong effect on secreting saliva

Health Benefits: Fermentation decreases the stimulation to our body from fresh tea leaves. Besides, if you store the Oolong tea for one to three months before drinking it, it will better for your health. Proper storage method can prolong the validity time of its health benefits. Like most Oolong tea, Phoenix Dan Cong is able to protect our body from hypertension. After roasting, Dan Cong is much softer. Thus it could warm our stomach speaking from traditional Chinese medicine.

About Teavivre View company

This is my first Dan Cong! Woo! I almost bought some at DavidsTea, but I’m glad I didn’t, because this is much better quality. The color of this tea is a strikingly gorgeous honey amber. I got several infusions out of it, with each one getting slightly sweeter.

There is a nice roasty note, but it’s not as pronounced as the Da Hong Pao I had the other day. The flavor reminds me a lot of pomegranate…a little tart and a little sweet. Interesting! I don’t think I’ve ever tasted that note in a tea. Overall, I liked it, but I think I might like the Da Hong Pao a bit more. :)

boychik

Do you like Teavivre’s DHP ? if yes, can i send you a package, please ?!

Tealizzy

I do like it, but not as good as Nannuoshan’s. Are you trying to give away tea? ;)

boychik

yes, its not for me , bought a package last summer. DHP getting better with age, it shouldnt be fresh fresh.

Tealizzy

I’m willing to take some off your hands. :)

boychik

Yay shoot me your address again here.

Okay, will send you PM!

far too long since i’ve been on here to review a tea!

how good is this tea? how’s this for a measure… last weekend the phone rang interrupting my homework. it was my financial institution. i was impatient. i had dropped a class taught by a difficult instructor late in the game and was playing catch up. i was not in the mood for service calls!

‘sir, i just wanted to check…. did you try to use your credit card at abercrombie and fitch online for 427$?’

‘no… WHAT? NO!!!!’

‘future shop online, sir? um… banana republic?’

‘no, i have a future shop just down the road, and definitely not banana republic!’

she continued, the sum total coming to just shy of 2000$. the conversation, beginning with my impatience ended with sincere gratitude! it was a long conversation- nearly 30 minutes. by the end all i wanted was a cup of tea! this was the blend i chose. it was perfect. depth, complexity, muted fruit tones, tempered malt… perfect.

you could argue i was tasting anxiety and then relief, however everytime i’ve had it since it’s been better. my only criticism? that steepster won’t let me rate it higher… c’mon jason, get on that! =0D

Boiling
DeliriumsFrogs

I’m really glad you had a good cup of tea waiting for you after that ordeal! That happened to me, and it was absolutely hysterical, being that I’m the type of person to spend about $100 TOTAL in a year on clothing (tshirt and black jeans kind of lady…)…. No, those Tory Burch charges are not mine! lol
I hope you’ve gotten it all sorted out (and have had plenty of tea, in the meantime…). :D

yyz

Sorry your card got compromised. It’s good that the companies are on top of it, but also scarry how much they know about our regular habits. Glad the tea helped:-)

JustJames

@DeleriumFrogs @yyz i think it was the abercrombie and fitch that cracked me up the most.i admit i own a couple of their t shirts, but they’re all from value village. too expensive! (though really comfortable). i guess the repeated attempts were what gave it away, using inaccurate info. every purchase they tried to make failed except one….. i don’t want them to have even one! i don’t care that it’s covered!

boychik

So glad to see you back JJ. Pls keep them coming. and sorry abt cc scam ;(

OMGsrsly

Hi! So glad that got cleared up for you. :)

Another wonderful free sample from Angel and Teavivre.

This one is definitely a very dark oolong.

The reviews are interesting as they are so varied in what this tea tastes like.

I am finding this smooth, thick, slightly creamy. There is only very light floral oolong flavour. The roastiness of this tea is definitely present but I would not say it is strong. There is definitely a sweet potatoe/kind of yammy flavour. Slightly nutty. This oolong is definitely closer to a black tea than a green.

180 °F / 82 °C 1 min, 0 sec 7 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Ah a good Dan Cong, this is really a great pleasure in the morning too.

This one has lovely long dry leaves and some of them are even incredibly long and folden. This tea looks really like a black tea but from my experience some excellent Taiwanese Oolongs are looking like that.

This is a really strange tea, quite difficult to understand. The dry leaf’s smell is quite malted, woody with touches of fruit. Despite an infusion of 5 minutes into a boiling water, the leaves are still folden.

The colour of the liquor is very pale vs the darkness of the dry leaf, it’s a pale golden brown.

The body is light. This is a very reffined tea, more subtle than most of the Dan Cong I tasted until now.

The dominant notes are fruit, peach mainly but not only as raisin reveals its presence in a supportive role. A little woody taste is there as well. And a touch, but just a touch of honey.

Surprising tea. A little too light bodied regarding my expectations but the taste is there. I’m going to play around a little because it is an extremely complex tea and it doesn’t reveal the same aromas , depending of the infusion and the temperature of the liquor.

You can see pics of my sesion with this beautiful tea here in a new blue glass cup purchased at Mariage Frères : https://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/guang-dong-phoenix-dan-cong-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Nicole

Beautiful cup! Good review as well. :)

Ysaurella

This type of oolong is becoming one of my absolute favorites. It’s so rich and interesting. This one in particular starts out like cooked stone fruits and moves more toward fresh fruit in the aftertaste. There’s also some floral honey notes that make it feel a little lighter than other Dan Congs I’ve had, but this is definitely a tea with substance—there’s a woody, earthy flavor throughout that keeps it grounded. I’m already falling in love with this one!

1998 tasting notes

I made this both Western style and gongfu. The brew is a lovely amber color, not too dark, but I also may have underleafed just a little. The flavor is a little woody without going too much toward roasty, a really nice base note. There is also a fruitiness, but no green or floral flavor as in some oolongs. It leaves a lovely aftertaste. There is also that note that K S so aptly named Latex, as in the smell of acrylic paint when you take an art class! And I LOVE that aroma!

Making it gongfu it was a bit stronger and brisk, though of course you could use a shorter steep if you don’t prefer it that way. It had nice energy prepared that way for me.

How do I love Teavivre? Let me count the ways!

Really, there is nothing bad about this company. The service is top notch, the packaging is better than anyone else’s, they have amazing teas.

This sample was provided for review by Angel at Teavivre. Thanks Angel! I am drinking this on a Friday afternoon. This week has felt like it was made of Mondays, and I feel the stress just melting off of me as I drink this.

Mostly, I drink Oriental Beauty oolong. This one is more roast and has a little bit of a woody or tobacco note. It’s really nice. It is definitely not floral at all, more fruity – with the fruit being on the raisin end of the spectrum.

By the third steep, it’s very sweet and tasting closer to the Oriental Beauty. Extremely yummy and I’m getting a nice qi from it. This is an extremely good oolong and I highly recommend it!

tea-sipper

Yep, nothing negative to say about Teavivre!

Thanks for the sample Angel and TeaVivre!

So excited to break in to my oolong samples, and this one was first on my list! I think Dan Cong is probably my favorite type of oolong, though I’ve only had a couple of different Dan Congs so far. This one is roasty and sweet, with a smooth sweet potato/honey thing going on. It is nice, but I prefer a more floral type of Dan Cong myself. If you like dark and roasty oolong you will probably dig this one!

Thanks to Cameron B for a generously-sized sample of this tea!

This one has long, dark twisty leaves, similar to other dancongs I have tried. The aroma is roasty with hints of grapefruit. With a short (1 min) infusion, the grapefruit note is very present, along with a bright repertoire of spice and wood notes. If sparkling afternoon sunlight had a flavor, it would be something like this. With a 3-4 min infusion (I lost track a little bit), the overall effect is smokier, with a slightly bitter edge to the flavor becoming like grapefruit rinds. The recommendation is for 1-5 min, so a longer infusion apparently doesn’t hurt.

I’ve been finding that I really enjoy dancong teas, and this is a good addition to the ones that I’ve tried. It is somewhat lighter than the ones from Verdant and Whispering Pines, and maybe not so friendly to gongfu brewing, but good for brewing longer.

Dry leaf aromas: Sweet potato, bread, wheat, sawdust, licorice
Brewed tea aromas: Sweet potato, hint of juicy citrus, light mineral smokiness
Tasting notes: Sweet potato and juicy fruit flavour (I am getting a taste of litchi) on the sip. The smokiness comes through as a top note throughout the sip and is the predominant lingering aftertaste. Some honey sweetness on the aftertaste. There a note in here that reminds me very strongly of a characteristic leathery black tea flavour.

Second infusion at 3:15 minutes gives the flavour a floral characteristic