Guang Dong Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Leather, Lychee, Smoke, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Roasted, Stonefruits, Fruity, Vegetal, Char, Cherry, Peach, Cocoa, Grapes, Tannin
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “I did not know what to expect with this one. The dry leaf looks more like black tea than oolong. The dry scent is kind of grape/malt/cocoa with very mild roasted hints. When I put the leaf in my...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1410 tasting notes
  • “In raw form this tea is dark brown, thin, very long and has a leather, dried fruit scent. Sweet but with dark under tones. I can see quite a few leaf stems. Once steeped the tea soup is light...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1155 tasting notes
  • “It's strange - the first time I tasted this I got notes of peach and grape. This time? It's very seaweedish. Strong, and roasty. Also, a little bitter. The directions said to steep it at boiling...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1700 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this is a dark-leaved oolong. I literally went "Ooh" when I opened the packet. The leaves are long and almost black. They're flat, and smell very sweet. I haven't had an oolong in a good...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 490 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Phoenix Mountain(凤凰山), Guangdong, China

Ingredients: Narcissus specie: origins in Shuiji Town in Jianyang, Fujian

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: Strong aroma of sweet potato, sweet aftertaste, shows a strong effect on secreting saliva

Health Benefits: Fermentation decreases the stimulation to our body from fresh tea leaves. Besides, if you store the Oolong tea for one to three months before drinking it, it will better for your health. Proper storage method can prolong the validity time of its health benefits. Like most Oolong tea, Phoenix Dan Cong is able to protect our body from hypertension. After roasting, Dan Cong is much softer. Thus it could warm our stomach speaking from traditional Chinese medicine.

About Teavivre View company

I made this both Western style and gongfu. The brew is a lovely amber color, not too dark, but I also may have underleafed just a little. The flavor is a little woody without going too much toward roasty, a really nice base note. There is also a fruitiness, but no green or floral flavor as in some oolongs. It leaves a lovely aftertaste. There is also that note that K S so aptly named Latex, as in the smell of acrylic paint when you take an art class! And I LOVE that aroma!

Making it gongfu it was a bit stronger and brisk, though of course you could use a shorter steep if you don’t prefer it that way. It had nice energy prepared that way for me.

How do I love Teavivre? Let me count the ways!

Really, there is nothing bad about this company. The service is top notch, the packaging is better than anyone else’s, they have amazing teas.

This sample was provided for review by Angel at Teavivre. Thanks Angel! I am drinking this on a Friday afternoon. This week has felt like it was made of Mondays, and I feel the stress just melting off of me as I drink this.

Mostly, I drink Oriental Beauty oolong. This one is more roast and has a little bit of a woody or tobacco note. It’s really nice. It is definitely not floral at all, more fruity – with the fruit being on the raisin end of the spectrum.

By the third steep, it’s very sweet and tasting closer to the Oriental Beauty. Extremely yummy and I’m getting a nice qi from it. This is an extremely good oolong and I highly recommend it!

Tea Sipper

Yep, nothing negative to say about Teavivre!

Thanks for the sample Angel and TeaVivre!

So excited to break in to my oolong samples, and this one was first on my list! I think Dan Cong is probably my favorite type of oolong, though I’ve only had a couple of different Dan Congs so far. This one is roasty and sweet, with a smooth sweet potato/honey thing going on. It is nice, but I prefer a more floral type of Dan Cong myself. If you like dark and roasty oolong you will probably dig this one!

Thanks to Cameron B for a generously-sized sample of this tea!

This one has long, dark twisty leaves, similar to other dancongs I have tried. The aroma is roasty with hints of grapefruit. With a short (1 min) infusion, the grapefruit note is very present, along with a bright repertoire of spice and wood notes. If sparkling afternoon sunlight had a flavor, it would be something like this. With a 3-4 min infusion (I lost track a little bit), the overall effect is smokier, with a slightly bitter edge to the flavor becoming like grapefruit rinds. The recommendation is for 1-5 min, so a longer infusion apparently doesn’t hurt.

I’ve been finding that I really enjoy dancong teas, and this is a good addition to the ones that I’ve tried. It is somewhat lighter than the ones from Verdant and Whispering Pines, and maybe not so friendly to gongfu brewing, but good for brewing longer.

Dry leaf aromas: Sweet potato, bread, wheat, sawdust, licorice
Brewed tea aromas: Sweet potato, hint of juicy citrus, light mineral smokiness
Tasting notes: Sweet potato and juicy fruit flavour (I am getting a taste of litchi) on the sip. The smokiness comes through as a top note throughout the sip and is the predominant lingering aftertaste. Some honey sweetness on the aftertaste. There a note in here that reminds me very strongly of a characteristic leathery black tea flavour.

Second infusion at 3:15 minutes gives the flavour a floral characteristic

Flavors: Leather, Lychee, Smoke, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes

Boiling 2 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 13 OZ / 375 ML

I received this sample in the 3rd Anniversary packet that I picked up from Teavivre.

This is a dark oolong that brews up a light brown to yellowish color. This is a really yummy cup. This is very fruity with strong hints of honey and some slight woody undertones. I am surprised at how much fruit flavor shines through on this cup. I think I saw someone mention a juicy peach in their tasting note and that is exactly what I am getting. I am going to try and resteep this one a few times and add quite a bit of steep time as my first cup was pretty light. I am not sure I could see myself ordering a full 100g of this tea, but I would definitely pick up another sample or two when I place an order.

This is my very first Phoenix Dan Cong experience, also thanks to the great oolong sample pack from Teavivre. I believe that I paid for this set, but I am grateful nonetheless for the opportunity to try such a wide array of fine teas! I’m pretty sure that I’ll end up eventually trying each and every one of their excellent offerings…

I have been focusing on the greenish, low-oxidation oolongs as I make my journey through the vast universe of Chinese tea. This oolong, however, is far more oxidized and produces a peachy-amber color similar to a light darjeeling (since darjeeling is on my mind!). Of course the taste is completely different. I’m not really sure, actually, how to describe this flavor. It tastes about midway between a rich bready black and a smooth and silken creamy green oolong—logically enough!

I love the range of flavors and textures of oolong teas. I’m sure that I’ll be ordering some more of this one after my sample is depleted.

I see that this tea is apparently salubrious as well as tasty (see Teavivre’s note about this). It’s always nice to know that we get extra benefits from drinking teas which are worth drinking for the experience alone!

boychik

Any white flower or lilacs?

sherapop

Definitely not white flowers—at least not my concept of them. No lilacs either. Of course, I have strong perfume-related concepts of those scents, so I may just not be able to tease them out from the tea itself. I’ll be drinking this more though, so hopefully I’ll start to grasp some of the complexities…

This was pretty good – I brewed it four times, and it held strong each time. First steep was a minute, and I added a minute on each resteep. I really like that about the high quality teas – they might be a hair pricier per cup…until you do the math on the resteeps. This started out being very toasty and fruity, but got less and less fruity for me with each resteep. Next time, I will call it quits after 3.

Hooray, another tea from my 3rd anniversary sampler! I had totally forgotten which teas I chose as my optional ones, and I ended up ordering a sample of this in my sale order the night before last. Oops. I sent them an email asking to change it, just because I would rather try a different tea than one I’ve already had. If not, I won’t be too upset, because this tea is tasty. :D The dry leaves are long and sort of twisty, but more flat than I normally see. They’re quite dark, similar to a black tea. Their smell is a combination of musty hay, sweet honey, and dried apricots.

Mmm, roasty goodness. The brewed tea smells like autumn leaves and stonefruit, with a definite roasted note. I also get roasted leaves as the main note in the taste. It is accompanied by lovely ripe stonefruit drizzled with honey, and a touch of dark, rich raisin. There’s a little bit of a floral note that appears mostly in the aftertaste – I’m not a huge fan of floral, but I don’t mind it here. I also get a lingering roasty taste after the floral dissipates, and it lingers for quite some time. My brew came out a teensy bit bitter, but I think I overleafed it a bit and I probably should have stopped the steep at 2 minutes. Good to know for next time!

Overall, a lovely dark oolong. I can definitely see the similarities between this one and Oriental Beauty-style oolongs. Can’t wait to try more of this type of tea! :D

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Honey, Malt, Raisins, Roasted, Stonefruits

boychik

this sounds yummy!

Stephanie

I love Dancong, but I’ve never had Teavivres! yum!

Cameron B.

This is the first Dan Cong I’ve had, so I couldn’t tell you whether it’s similar to others or not. :P I enjoyed it, though!

The black long dry leaves were nothing like the small green pellets I expected to see when I opened the bag. A strong sweet scent filled the canister, a promise of a good brew to come.

As the leaves are quite bulky I used 2 tsp. per cup of 210F water, and steeped at 2 minutes.

A lovely rich reddish orange liquor was the result. It was mildly fragrant, but richly flavorful. Despite the resemblance to black tea, this was all Oolong. Vegetal and sweet with a rich floral finish. It reminds me of a mild muscat tasting Darjeeling.

A good drink when something lighter than the heavy blacks (which i usually prefer) is called for. This is one rich flavorful Oolong tea.

Flavors: Fruity, Vegetal