Huang Shan Dried Chrysanthemum (Gongju)

Flowering Tea
Chrysanthemum
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “These are so beautiful ^_^ pic.twitter.com/I3N2eGEjMw I didn't know what to expect but as I opened the sample sachet lots of white/yellow chrysanthemum flowers came tumbling out as if by magic....” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1155 tasting notes
  • “A big thank you to Teavivre for allowing me to sample their teas again! I always love having the opportunity! Now, I have had a chrysanthemum tea once, and that was several years ago. I know I...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 492 tasting notes
  • “I was very curious about this tea. So I had to order a sample. I used 15 flowers for this cuppa. This tastes very floral (obviously!) and very similar to chamomile. It is actually very...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes
  • “Water: 8oz at 185 degrees Leaves: light yellow flower w/ green base Steep: 3m Aroma: floral chamomile spice Color: yellow Taste: The scent reminded me of chamomile but with a bit of...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 51 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Grown and produced in Shexian County in Huangshan City, Anhui
Harvest Time: picked in November, called as autumn chrysanthemum
Recommended storage condition: refrigeration
White petal, small yellow centre, even size of each flower, soft and fragrant.
If brew only Gongju, the liquid is light green and bright, tastes slightly bitter with sweet aftertaste.
After brewed, petals and the center will fully spread in the water; each flower is in complete shape. The liquid is pellucid and bright.

Meaning of Gong Ju: Gong refers to pay tribute to the emperor. The tributes are called gong ping, which must be famous and be of the best quality.

Huang Shan Gongju Dried Chrysanthemum is helpful to protect liver and eyes. It can reduce heat and help to clean toxin.

About Teavivre View company

These are so beautiful _ pic.twitter.com/I3N2eGEjMw

I didn’t know what to expect but as I opened the sample sachet lots of white/yellow chrysanthemum flowers came tumbling out as if by magic. They are whole flowers too that have been dried and preserved. They have a sweet, floral and herby scent.

The loose flower petals sink straight away and then the flowers themselves start to slowly sink as they absorb the water. Very peaceful to watch.

Once steeped this tea is very light yellow and smells very herbal. I can’t narrow it down other than to say general herbal fragrance.

Flavour is light and sweet with a slight herbal after taste which matches the smell. Very refreshing and pleasant.

The second steep is much sweeter and floral and less herbal. So elegant and beautiful.

Very happy I found these, placing another order for some more.

Long live chrysanthemum tea.

185 °F / 85 °C

Now, I have had a chrysanthemum tea once, and that was several years ago. I know I enjoyed it, but I don’t remember much else. (Besides the fact that it was much lower quality than this one.)

The tea itself is beautiful. Delicate, pale flowers with green buds at their base, almost like little daisies. They smell sweet and sort of spiced. I’m instantly reminded of spring. They seem to have been dried very gently, as there is no trace of bruising or brown spots anywhere. Very interesting! As it steeps, the flowers fluff up and expand, making me wish for a glass teapot to prepare them in. It would be so lovely…

The tea brews up to a light shade of greenish yellow, as I expected. It smells a lot like fresh chrysanthemums, but also kinda like chamomile. But not exactly. It’s a little hard to describe. The flavor is light as well, and very clean tasting. It’s soothing and very floral, of course. The description mentions it being slightly bitter, but I’m not getting that. Perhaps I would if I added more flowers.

This would be a great tea to end a summer night with.

Mercuryhime

I grew up with Chrysanthemum tea as a remedy for colds and coughs. It’s also great iced with a bit of honey. :)

gmathis

It’s an acquired taste, but I think I’m finally beginning to acquire it.

I was very curious about this tea. So I had to order a sample.
I used 15 flowers for this cuppa.

This tastes very floral (obviously!) and very similar to chamomile. It is actually very comforting and calming. I am not sure if I would drink it all the time, but it would be nice every once in awhile.

I resteeped for 3 minutes, and it was quite similar in taste.

It is ok chilled, but I much prefer it hot.

Water: 8oz at 185 degrees

Leaves: light yellow flower w/ green base

Steep: 3m

Aroma: floral chamomile spice

Color: yellow

Taste: The scent reminded me of chamomile but with a bit of spice added. I must also say this is a very pretty tea,I used 25 pieces. Considering I’m not a fan of chamomile tea,this tea was quite nice.The aroma my be a bit strong for some when drinking.

A sample from KittyLovesTea. There are few teas as beautiful as this one. The small packet belies the contents, because as soon as it’s opened out tumble whole dried chrysanthemum flowers. There are so many, and they’re so large and springy, it’s hard to imagine how they all fitted in the little sample pouch! There are some loose petals, but in the main these are whole flower heads; creamy yellow in colour, and beautifully preserved.

For my first cup, I gave 2tsp of flowers (about half the sachet) 2.5 minutes in water cooled to around 175 degrees. The resulting liquor is a pale yellow-green, and smells very lightly herbal. To taste, it’s a subtle flavour. It’s hard to pin down exactly, but it mostly reminds me of chamomile, with the tiniest touch of mint. I was expecting something much more heavily floral, but it’s not like that at all. It makes me think of daisies.

It’s a very light, refreshing cup. I reckon it would be particularly perfect in spring/summer, or as a relaxing pre-bedtime cup. Definitely one I’d consider purchasing with a future Teavivre order.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp
Stephanie

Been curious about this one. I’ve had chrysanthemum before but only mixed with shou :)

quite good with a hint of peppermint (what i think it also has the taste of)

if you like flower herb tea try this one and see if you like it.