Nonpareil Te Gong Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Butter, Chestnut, Vegetal, Dry Grass, Spinach, Oats, Sweet, warm grass, Coconut, Sugar, Mineral, Nutty, Vegetable Broth, Sugarcane, Peas
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Another short tasting note for this sipdown, which people may or may not see with Steepster being so wacky! As I have said many times before, this is one of my favorite green teas. I’m not a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “I feel like such a newbie today. This is the last of the spring samples from Teavivre to review. I think this is the third year I have sampled this. I should know what I am doing....” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1613 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! I have no idea what the count on my tea collection is right now, & I’m not going to do the math today. Sil sent me 38, I got 4 from Verdant, & their bundle box is also en...” Read full tasting note
    terri-harplady 3229 tasting notes
  • “Smells very fresh, nutty, a little sweet and somewhat floral. When steeped the leaves become so green! This is the best green tea I have had the pleasure of sampling thus far. It was lighter than...” Read full tasting note
    Starfish 96 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Shexian(歙县) County, Huanshan City, Anhui Province

Ingredients: Tea buds with pure leaves

Harvest time: March 28, 2015

Taste: High mountain tea has distinct fruity flavor with chestnut fragrance, tastes soft and smooth

Health Benefits: As the major component part, catechinic acid occupies 70% in tea polyphenol. It also takes an important role in effecting the tea’s quality. Catechinic acid provides benefits for immunity system in our bodies, as well as radiation resistance.

About Teavivre View company

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

I’ve been having a lot of good result’s with Teavivre’s steep guidelines. So I prepared this in my gaiwan at first, and tea mug later on.

My first through third steeps were very light and subtle. It had a refreshing, sweet, vegetal and slightly fruity aroma. (Unfortunately it was a type of vegetal flavour I don’t enjoy.)

And just to experiment, I also used my second sample to try it out western style. But really, I didn’t notice too much of a difference.

Overall, I couldn’t get into this tea. I tried, but there’s something about the vegetal aroma that displeases my palate. But aside from that, the other subtle flavours were pretty good. So I’m not a fan, but if you enjoy this sort of green tea it might be worth a try.

100ml gaiwan, 4g sample, 3 steeps (rinse,30s,1m,1m30s)

Thank you Angel for the sample!
So when I opened this and was inspecting the cute little leaves, my husband asked to smell them and remarked that the smell reminded him of licorice. I hadn’t picked up on it at first, but I think I might smell it just a tiny bit as well. Mostly this smells nutty and toasted to me.
The liquor looks extremely light to me. Almost like white wine. It kind of smells like dragonwell to me (forgive my limited green tea knowledge!). I also almost messed up the temp. on this one (165 instead of 185).
I am reeling. This is so amazing. No, really. I mentioned in one of my recent posts that my taste/smell has been off and I’m trying to recover, so these aren’t my most perfect posts, but this is dang good. I’m having trouble describing it, but it is light, roasty, and nutty. I think I’m in love with the nut notes that are coming through on the back end of the sip. Very excellent tea that I will continue to steep and enjoy the rest of tonight.

Woo! One of the stragglers from my birthday order since the others ship so quickly. I’m gonna try to cut down my reviews a bit from now on too.

I really enjoy this tea so I’m glad I purchased a good amount of it. It’s usually difficult for me to find green teas that are really strong, but the only reason I don’t like more delicate ones is because they don’t taste like this! Usually for me, lighter green teas just taste bland and grassy, and literally my least favorite flavor I can find in a straght tea is anything reminiscent of my lawn.

This however is really delicious because though it’s very delicate and not strong at all, it’s SUPER nutty and sweet and has no grassy flavor that I can taste. Definitely getting vegetables, but more like vegetables pan fried with butter than steamed or raw. It just has a very smooth and warm flavor and I absolutely adore nutty green teas so I’m in love. Really delicious and bound to become a staple!

I can really get into a Huangshan Maofeng. The last one sent from Teavivre was quite nice, and this one is even better. It’s very light and crisp, with a simple vegetal and nutty sweetness, a sparkling texture, and fresh aroma. The leaves are consistent and great quality, with fur, not too many blisters from pan-frying, and mainly bud material. They’re quite pretty. While the tea could probably use some depth that the later harvests’ leaves provide, it isn’t lacking much of anything else. It has been a great tea to have this summer for outside sessions, where it really cools me down. It’s simple and it’s good.

175 °F / 79 °C

Water: 8oz at 175 degrees

Leaves: bright green tea leaves

Steep: 1m,2m,3m

Aroma: grassy

Color: almost clear

Taste: I don’t know if it’s just me but so far w/ the green teas they’ve almost all smelled the same regardless of their type. This tea was okay I didn’t get much flavor at all i used started w/2tsp then 3tsp of tea but nothing really changed.

I wasn’t too impressed with this tea the first couple of times I tried it, finding it fairly bland and tasteless. All of the positive reviews baffled me so I figured it must be me…and it was! I have lately gotten into the habit of brewing green teas uncovered as many greens fare better that way. But this tea works much better with the lid on. I added enough leaves to cover the bottom of the gaiwan, poured in 175F water, and let it go for 2 minutes. This time, the tea was much better. Creamy spinach and green been flavors emerged along with a faint sweetness. Still a very light tea brew though. I may have to experiment with water temperature and brew times, but this is an enjoyable tea for sure.

Flavors: Dry Grass, Spinach, Vegetal

Wow! just wow!

This was not even 10 minutes out of the box before it was in my Kyusu! I even waited outside for the mailman….

I opened the package and was hit with the most enticing scent. I was covered in a deep vegetal aroma and fresh grass. The leaves are stout vibrant green and yellow buds. I placed a generous amount in my warmed kyusu and inhaled. My senses were struck with a nutty and grass sensation. I brewed immediately! The taste was oh so good! A completely refreshing brew with a smooth sugary mouth feel. The initial flavor was watercress, oats, and chestnut. This brew caused some odd descriptive words to come up. These words include juicy, invigorating, refreshment, gushy, and lifey. hahah I thought that were kinda weird, but I guess you just had to “be there”. I’ve also been celebrating this spring tea with a long tea binge so I’m a little tea drunk.

All and all this was unbelievably fantastic!!

Flavors: Chestnut, Oats, Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal

185 °F / 85 °C 2 min, 15 sec 5 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Is this tea new 2015? Just wondering, seems like the new spring teas are starting to trickle in with vendors.

This is the new harvest. I got some of each of their spring harvest!

It’s a cold, rainy day here, so I thought I’d break out the green teas in an effort to lighten things up a bit. Green teas always remind me of spring and sunshine.

This. This tea. There is a wonderful chestnut flavor followed by a vegetal note that is reminiscent of sugar snap peas. Yum. The finish has a mineral note that is clean and every so slightly drying. I find this pleasing since it allows me to taste the chestnut note fresh with each sip. I also pick up a very slight buttery note as the tea cools. Very, very nice.

Thank you Angel and Teavivre for allowing me to sample this!

Thank you to Teavivre for a sample of this tea! I’m sampling it at the same time as the “Premium” grade of this tea, and I have to say I prefer the latter… it’s more vegetal and has a distinct sweetness, whereas this tea is more on the hay-y, slightly nutty side. Still similar flavour profiles, but I’m a huge fan of vegetal, sweet greens, so the Premium version gets my nod here. As mentioned in my previous note, I did perhaps understeep this (or under leaf), so more to come for my second infusion.

ETA: Second infusion, pretty similar. A bit more on the vegetal side, but the Premium version is just better, IMO.

I believe that monorail is supposed to be higher grade than premium…

Nonpareil = monorail in kindle speak. :-)!

It’s possible that it’s higher grade but older? Alternately, it’s possible that the flavours I prefer aren’t the hallmarks of fancier tea, but instead of lower grade stuff. Either way, my vote goes to the other tea.

Thanks, Amariel, for this smooth and subtle green. This has some really lovely notes of chestnut, coconut, and even some sugar-like sweetness. It’s a nice balance between savory (nutty) and sweet.

I hope I get around to picking up more of this before the new year, or in time for the latest harvest.. maybe as a reward for when I finally finish The Wheel of Time (I’m so close).

Flavors: Chestnut, Coconut, Sugar