Silver Needle White Tea (Bai Hao Yin Zhen)

White Tea
Cucumber, Melon, Sweet, Creamy, Hay, Honey, Honeydew, Oats, Pastries, Flowers, Lettuce, Sage, Earth
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “It's the last day of July already? Unbelievable! A few months ago I started using the last day of the month to update my "Tea Collection" database, re-arrange my cupboards as needed, & kind of...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3002 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to *Heather* for passing down a sample of this. I've never been a huge fan of white tea, but seeing that I haven't had a straight up white tea in years, it wouldn't hurt to revisit...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 826 tasting notes
  • “*Here's Hoping Traveling Tea Box #10* I snatched this one out of the box to sample later and I am soooooo glad I did. This was such a delicate white tea I love! The dry leaf was so beautiful. The...” Read full tasting note
    Mnoelle225 206 tasting notes
  • “This sample arrived today from *Teavivre*, and I didn't wait long before trying it out. The dry leaves were lovely and intact, and it was fascinating to see how much character each little leaf...” Read full tasting note
    wheezybee 251 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fuding City, Fujian Province, China

Ingredients: Pure tea buds

Harvest time: March 22, 2014

Taste: sweet and slippery taste; has slight soymilk flavor; sweet aftertaste presents quickly

Brew: bew at 176 ºF (80 ºC) for 1 to 2 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Silver Needle White Tea gives you the greatest health benefits of all White Tea’s. Composed of only unopened, fresh leaf buds, none of the beneficial antioxidants and minerals in this tea has yet had a chance to be used by the plant to convert to chlorophyll or other parts of an opened leaf’s structure

About Teavivre View company

It’s the last day of July already? Unbelievable!
A few months ago I started using the last day of the month to update my “Tea Collection” database, re-arrange my cupboards as needed, & kind of review what I drank. I have this insane goal to drink a cup of every single tea in my cupboard once a month, & as my cupboard continues to expand, that goal gets harder & harder to accomplish. I didn’t even come close in July, having started the month with 307 teas (including samples) in my cupboard. I only drank 132 of them (some several times, like Zhu Rong), with 36 sipdowns. That’s ok. There’s always August! :)

In looking through my cupboard, I realized I still had a sample from Angel that I hadn’t tried yet. I guess I’m starting to like white tea, or maybe this is just a really tasty one! It’s hard to describe the flavor of it. It started out almost buttery & malty, but then it took on a kind of soymilk flavor, & near the end it reminds me a little of split pea soup, very savory.
Thank you to Angel @ TeaVivre for sending me generous samples of this, & also for allowing me to be part of the sampling program, as I truly enjoy the quality of your teas!

Cavocorax

Wow. I still think drinking 132 different teas in one month is pretty good! You need to give yourself time to enjoy each cup, and resteep if it’s worthy of the extra attention. :D

I think I’ll be reviewing my collection every month or so, and updating the estimates on how much (in oz) I have, as well as total number! It’s pretty relaxing.

Terri HarpLady

Oh, don’t worry, I enjoy every single sip!! Including re-steeps when they are worthy :)
I know there is no way I can drink through 300 teas a month (or however many I have by now…I’m afraid to count). That would be 10 teas a day, which might be doable if I wasn’t drinking oolongs, puerhs, etc.

yeah…those damn puerhs always slowing me down! and SOMEONE just sent me a zillion of them!

Terri HarpLady

mwahahahahaha;)

Thanks to Heather for passing down a sample of this. I’ve never been a huge fan of white tea, but seeing that I haven’t had a straight up white tea in years, it wouldn’t hurt to revisit them.

Freshly steeped, there are notes of cooked vegetables, maybe mild snow peas. It’s hard to pinpoint but definitely some sort of cooked green vegetable. As this is cooling, it’s going a little wonky, along the lines of chlorine, unfortunately.

Beautiful leaf but the flavour is not my thing. I’ll abstain from rating seeing that no one else has so far and I’m not the greatest fan of white tea to begin with.

Here’s Hoping Traveling Tea Box #10
I snatched this one out of the box to sample later and I am soooooo glad I did. This was such a delicate white tea I love! The dry leaf was so beautiful. The aroma as it steeped worried me a little… It smelled grassy and savory and I’m not a fan of vegetal teas. But the taste is nothing of the sort. It had this creaminess I was not expecting at all and then when I looked it up it says soy milk notes. I get it now! Ha ha. My favorite steeps were definitely the second and third. Was not a huge fan of the first steep but was definitely worth it to get to the further steepings:) I have enough left to try some other time! Yay!

This sample arrived today from Teavivre, and I didn’t wait long before trying it out. The dry leaves were lovely and intact, and it was fascinating to see how much character each little leaf contained. The smell was deceptively simple, and primarily grassy.

When steeped, its other flavors came out to play, and I must say the 2nd and 3rd steeps continue to be my favorite. The liquor remains the same very pale yellow, but the sensation of each sip is light yet silky. The understated notes of butternut squash, nuttiness, and dry grass balance each other beautifully.

I’m trying to build more whites and greens into my cupboard, and this was a fantastic place to start!

You can read my full review here:

I am a total novice to straight white teas, so I don’t know how I will properly review it. But here goes.

The leaves are quite long and lofty, and covered in a fine fuzz, and they are really beautiful! I’m not sure how to describe the scent, but it smells fresh and clean.

I may have under-steeped this one since it is extremely mild, but it is still quite hot to take a better sip. I’ll try to go more into detail when it is a little cooler and I can try to pick out other notes.

Thanks to Angel at Teavivre for the generous sample for review.

Thanks to Angel at Teavivre for this sample!

I had a few really nice white teas when I first started drinking tea. I then ordered 2oz of silver needle from a tea shop and it was awful. It turned me off to straight white tea until this sample arrived at my doorstep!

This tea has renewed my faith in white tea!!!! Oh man this stuff is good. This is one of those tea experiences that makes you want to go out and buy tons of it so you never run out. This is very sweet with hints of floral. There is almost a fruityness to this as well. It is so calming and relaxing. I don’t want this session to end. I will note that I am experimenting with this tea and with brewing white tea gonfu style. I am glad there is enough to prefect the brewing method. Thank you for allowing me to try this wonderful tea!

First thoughts: Wow, those are big! The leaves are uniformly whole, about 1.5 inches long.

I got some of this in my recent package of samples from Teavivre and now that Steepster seems less broken, I’m finally reviewing it. I don’t often drink white tea but when I do I tend to enjoy it. I steeped this for about two minutes in 75 degree water per the instructions on the sample. I used the whole packet to make a pot for the beau and I since he is a big fan of white teas.

At two minutes western style, this is light tea. Very light. Maybe too light. I poured the tea back into the pot for another minute steeping – and made a mess. Whoops. Then I forgot it, and it went two more minutes. So, a four minute steep it is. The water was only 75 when poured though, so I’m not worried about over-steeping.

Now, we have a lot more flavour. It is still a light-tea but full-bodied and sweet with some notes of hay and melon or cucumber. No bitterness, astringency or dryness. Light but yummy. Sort of unassuming. Another tea that I like when I drink but don’t always think to go for. The beau proclaims it “really good.” He gets a bit of jasmine (which is likely floral in general). He had a sip of scotch before trying it though, so his impressions are now confused.

I don’t think we will have any problem enjoying these samples and I am interested to compare it to the Organic Silver Needle we also received. I think I will try a second steep of this later at higher temps as well to see what we get.

It’s been a little while since I’ve had the white peony, but so far I would say I liked that a little better. It had a little more oomph for me and stood out a bit more. I think it also had different brewing parameters though which can really change the outcome.

Flavors: Cucumber, Melon, Sweet

170 °F / 76 °C 4 min, 0 sec 7 g 20 OZ / 591 ML

Yeasty dry leaf aroma.
Very flavouful, bright sweet taste. Lingering sweetness.

Thanks TeaVivre for including this sample with my recent order.

This is a mild, sweet, haylike white. It is creamy and tasty, but I generally find white teas a little bland and boring. Not bad though! Glad I got to try it :)

KiwiDelight

YES. BORING. I couldn’t think of the term to apply to white tea. But this one’s good :]

mj

You two are crazy :-P. White teas are amazing!

This was a freebie bonus sample from Stephanie. She magically managed to send me a different one than I got from the last round of TeaVivre samples, and for that I am very thankful! The leaves are large and fluffy, fuzzy and silver-green in color. They cling together tightly, I had a difficult time separating the sample into halves. Dry scent is soft hay and oats with a slight grassy aroma. There is also a touch of honey. I brewed this at 185 degrees for 3 minutes, just because I wanted to. :P

Once brewed, this tea smells strongly of sweet hay and oats/oatmeal, with a bit of a vegetal note and some lovely honeydew or cucumber (I have trouble telling them apart when there’s sweetness in the tea). This tea is extremely creamy and lovely, and there are strong oat and grain notes with a bit of hay mixed in. I am reminded of slightly sweet pastry, maybe with a touch of honey over the top. I’m so happy to find honeydew/cucumber in the taste as well as the aroma, as I love melon in general.

Overall, I’m finding this tea to be delicious and I’m amazed that this is TeaVivre’s “lowest grade” of silver needle. I can only imagine how wonderful the organic and nonpareil varieties are! Thanks again, Stephanie!

Flavors: Creamy, Cucumber, Hay, Honey, Honeydew, Oats, Pastries

Stephanie

Oh good, glad you hadn’t tried this before! :D Don’t forget to get your points for the review ;)

Cameron B.

Oh, totally already done. I’m on top of that always. ;)