Premium Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea
Black Pepper, Bok Choy, Green Bell Peppers, Grass, Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal, Honey, Peas, Mineral, Potato
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Water: 8oz at 180 degrees Leaves: very large flat leaves Steep: 1m,2m Aroma: light Color: Light Green Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it...” Read full tasting note
    Alreot 79 tasting notes
  • “This tea has a swampy, smokey aroma. It taste vegetal, but I do not get the usually veggie flavors of a green tea. I am having trouble with this one, maybe bok choy mixed with green bell pepper and...” Read full tasting note
    A-House 92 tasting notes
  • “Brewed in a glass, grandpa-style. I started drinking after a 1-minute steep. This is probably one of those instances in which I taste a tea so differently from everyone else, or it’s probably...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 242 tasting notes
  • “Thank you Angel of Teavivire for sending me this sample. I have never had Tai Ping Hou before. I found the long flat leaves pretty, and since they were too big to properly fit in...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 1041 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: TaiPing HouKeng(太平猴坑) in Anhui province, China

Ingredients: Long, flat leaves of one bud and two leaves

Harvest time: April 16, 2015

Taste: sweet and smooth with strong aroma, has long-lasting sweet aftertaste

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

Water: 8oz at 180 degrees

Leaves: very large flat leaves

Steep: 1m,2m

Aroma: light

Color: Light Green

Taste: I was interested in trying this tea because I haven’t seen anything like it before. First steep was for 1 minute, the first sip was bitter then it mellowed out to a lighter non bitter note. On the other hand the second steep was the complete opposite 2m I didn’t like it at all. This time around it was very bitter, I couldn’t finish my cup. I’m not sure if I used too many leaves or if my water was a bit hotter than expected but overall I didn’t enjoy this tea.

*Update!
I recently brewed this tea again this time following a different technique, it came out much better than the first time. Light smooth with no bitterness.

TeaVivre

I’m sorry this tea you brewed taste was bitter. How many leaves you have used? I think it might be associated with the tea leaves and temperature.

This tea has a swampy, smokey aroma. It taste vegetal, but I do not get the usually veggie flavors of a green tea. I am having trouble with this one, maybe bok choy mixed with green bell pepper and a little bit of black pepper. It is definitely a unique tasting green tea.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Bok Choy, Green Bell Peppers

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Brewed in a glass, grandpa-style. I started drinking after a 1-minute steep.

This is probably one of those instances in which I taste a tea so differently from everyone else, or it’s probably this particular batch.

When I stuck my nose into the sample packet, I didn’t expect it smell like certain shengs I dislike: black pepper, beef stew, and a hint of apricot I was able to pull out from somewhere. As the leaves steeped in the glass, I smelled buttered popcorn.

The liquor is green-ish, full-bodied, cream-like, and savory. The flavor is very buttery (even near salty) with notes of Brussels sprouts, bok choy, and beans with a green pepper finish. I dislike green peppers, more so in my tea, if it’s not subtle. Not for me.

175 °F / 79 °C 5 g 11 OZ / 325 ML
Cwyn

I love Tai Ping, though of course the top grade isn’t sold outside China. Sounds like your brewing parameters were spot on. Sorry it disappointed in the end, this can be a really good tea. I don’t recall buttery notes in the ones I’ve had in the past.

KiwiDelight

I had another a while ago and it tasted nothing like this, more like a Dragonwell. I’m still puzzled.

Thank you Angel of Teavivire for sending me this sample.

I have never had Tai Ping Hou before. I found the long flat leaves pretty, and since they were too big to properly fit in my infuser I steeped them in my french press. The tea has a green bean flavor with a little sweetness. There was a hint of a grassy note, but the flavor was mostly bean. The liquid was thick. In fact, the consistency reminded me of a thin syrup. Overall I thought this was a nice tea. The flavor was clean and crisp, and there was no mineral note or lingering aftertaste.

Backlog:

LOVE! I love a good Tai Ping Hou Kui and this is an excellent one. As it had been a while since my last cup of Tai Ping, I had to think a bit on how I was going to steep the tea. I would normally steep a green tea in my Breville One-Touch but I do like to watch the dance of the Tai Ping leaves so I instead decided to brew this in my glass teacup.

A sweet and gentle aroma accompanies a flavor that is sublime. Sweet, hints of orchid, light grassy tones and a touch of butter. Creamy and sweet and delightful.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/06/28/premium-tai-ping-hou-kui-green-tea-from-teavivre/

When I opened the package I was greeted with amazing bright long tea leaves. I did a 5 seconds rinse and first steep was 30 seconds. It has a green color and a grassy taste, which I like a lot. This is an afternoon tea that complimented really well my home baked dates squares. 2nd brew time was 1 minute and still a nice color and grassy taste. I love the huge tea leaves.

Flavors: Grass

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

Tai Ping Hou Kui teas are so much fun!! Seriously, it’s just a whimsical experience. The dry leaf aroma is so hearty and green. The leaves are just so cool to look at and hold. It’s such a silly tea! I’m a bit sad that the summer is at an end.. because it’s just not very fun to drink green teas in the colder months… and I guess I have to race to finish this tea before it goes bad. (If anyone wants some green teas/mid-quality FF darjeelings please let me know… I’m totally willing to sell my extra for a super low price)

I’m not sure the taste of this tea is too different for me than most other Chinese greens I’ve had. It is vegetal, nutty, and mildly sweet with a bit of green bean flavor.

What does stand out to me immensely is how thick the mouthfeel is. It is very heavy and very syrupy. I wasn’t expecting that at all. I really like that. As for the flavor, however, I feel a bit non-reactive. It’s very Zen and all, but I prefer to be wowed by my teas.

Flavors: Green Beans, Nutty, Sweet, Vegetal

175 °F / 79 °C 1 min, 0 sec 2 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

After a short visit at Amariel’s yesterday, my tea count jumped by 20 to a big 70- and here I was doing so well. I didn’t know where to start so I let my roommate randomly select one of the dozen green tea samples from the bag for the evening’s pot. This one was the winner.

The vibrant green leaves look and smell like seaweed, but once steeped the brew is more akin to beans, with a drop or two of honey. There’s a lot more going on in this tea, especially in the second steep, but I can’t pin most of the flavours. It’s a beautiful and gentle tea to wind down to for the evening. This cup has peace and tranquility written all over it (sappy but true).

Thank you, Amariel, for sharing this lovely sample with me!

Flavors: Green Beans, Honey, Peas

TeaBrat

this one IS yummy :)

CrowKettle

I wish I could stay up all night, drinking this tea in pots. It’s so good!

SFTGFOP

I’ve just ordered some of this tea from Camellia Sinensis. I love how it smells, and how pretty the leaves look!

Stephanie

lovely pretty tea

Thank you Stephanie for generously sending me this sample!

It’s a little late for me to be drinking caffeine, but I just woke up from a nap. I was kept awake last night by a snoring boyfriend and a mosquito bite that had me itching. Hopefully the caffeine in this won’t keep me awake later…

This tea is so interesting looking. I love the long slender leaves that are bright green and look pressed flat, almost as though someone had ironed them. I decided to steep this at 170 F for around 3 minutes.

The tea liquor is a light yellowish-green. I definitely get the green bean flavor here but what’s amazing about this green is how sweet it is. The sweetness lingers in your mouth long after you’re done sipping it. It seems really fresh and light which is also good. Teavivre has so many good green teas and I was really glad I got to try this one. I wonder if anyone’s tried cold brewing it? It’s tasty.

Stephanie

I’m glad you liked it! I’ve not tried cold brewing it myself.