Nonpareil Cha Wang Tai Ping Hou Kui Green Tea

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “What should I have for breakfast... some green tea would hit the spot. The raw leaves are very long, thin and crisp with dark and medium green tones. Some leaves have criss cross patterns on...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes
  • “What a treat--I wanted to try more hou kui greens and suddenly I'm finding them everywhere (but you know how that goes--once something's in your scope of awareness you're subconsciously on the...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 612 tasting notes
  • “I'd like to start out by thanking *Angel & Teavivre* for this wonderful sample. This is the most amazing looking green tea, absolutely beautiful. It looks like fronds of some exotic sea veggie,...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 2859 tasting notes
  • “First there were the two weeks of work craziness when tea consisted gallons of Awake from Starbucks. Then there were two weeks of zero caffeine detox. Now I feel prepared to resume appreciating...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 141 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Houkeng (猴坑) on Huangshan Mountain, Anhui Province, China

Ingredients: one bud surrounded by two leaves shape

Harvest time: April 12, 2014

Taste: fresh and brisk, taste smooth with long-lasting sweet aftertaste

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our TaiPing HouKui has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

What should I have for breakfast… some green tea would hit the spot.

The raw leaves are very long, thin and crisp with dark and medium green tones. Some leaves have criss cross patterns on them which must be from the drying basket/tray, how divine and special. There are no holes, marks or discolouration to mention. They have a strong scent of cucumber, seaweed, flowers and grass.

First steep – 1 minute – Tea soup is light yellow in colour with a gentle floral and grassy aroma. Flavour is a little dry and perfumed with notes of peony, sweet grass, white cabbage and crisp pear.

Second steep – 2 minutes – Smooth and buttery and with a little more depth than the first steep but keeping all of it’s flavour. The dryness is a little more perfumed but still on the delicate side which keeps this tea refreshing and pure.

Third steep – 3 minutes – Floral, sweet, smooth, buttery and very delicate in this steep.

Overall it was delicious throughout and on the perfumed yet delicate side which I found to be similar to Long Jing but this is more delicate and with much more flavour. It does leave your mouth a little dry but also with a wonderful perfumed after taste.

175 °F / 79 °C

What a treat—I wanted to try more hou kui greens and suddenly I’m finding them everywhere (but you know how that goes—once something’s in your scope of awareness you’re subconsciously on the lookout for it when before you’d just tune it out as unrecognizable).

Some of the longest tea leaves I’ve ever encountered—they stood up like a swirl of matchsticks in a jar, barely fitting in my glass teapot dry! Tickled me. I like how this is a perfect balance of savory and sweet—there’s some soup-satisfying vegetable flavor, can’t quite place it (it’s not the usual suspects like carrot or green bean or snap pea…KittyLovesTea mentions cabbage and I could see how that might be it; it is something more in that family, less green or sugary, rounder and fuller), but also a perfumed sweet element ever present. It feels light and delicate yet it has a lot of flavor and a surprisingly satisfying body. There’s a tinge of roastiness too, really yummy. Now I’m looking forward to the couple of other hou kuis headed my way.

I know I keep saying it but wow, I just can’t get over how much I love straight green tea now when I thought I hated it for like a decade. Turns out I just wasn’t familiar with Chinese ones. Yum!

I’d like to start out by thanking Angel & Teavivre for this wonderful sample. This is the most amazing looking green tea, absolutely beautiful. It looks like fronds of some exotic sea veggie, with iridescent shades of green that I can’t even begin to describe. Dried & pressed into long bud sets, averagine 2 to 2.5 inches long! It’s so beautiful that I took pics & posted them on my FB, for those who might like to see.
The dry aroma is rich, thick, & buttery. I rehydrated single frond, just so I could watch it unfurl alone, & take photos of it. I gave the entire 5 G sample 1 minute at 180F in my test tube steeper, & the resulting liquor was a pale apricot color, with a sweet, thick, & buttery green taste, delicate & refined.
2min: still rich & buttery, with a yellow taste, bring to mind yellow flowers. As I continue with this cup I also taste saffron & pumpkin seeds.
3min: a little tangy-er, fruity like apricot, but also savory like buttered asparagus. Slightly astringent, slightly bitter.
4min: sweet melon/pumpkin taste.

Stephanie

I used TeaVivre’s Tai Ping Hou Kui in my new photo art because it is SO GORGEOUS https://www.etsy.com/listing/193212314/beautiful-tea-poster-photography-collage

TheTeaFairy

Wonderful pics! I love the test tube for green teas, isn’t it the best?

Terri HarpLady

That poster is awesome!!
And yes, I love my test tube steeper! :)

MzPriss

I was wondering about the test tube steeper…

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Teaware addict, busted!!

MzPriss I can’t help it. Or as we say in Texas, I CAIN’T hep it
TheTeaFairy

Haha! Just love your accent ;-)

Terri HarpLady

You gotta have one missy prissy!

First there were the two weeks of work craziness when tea consisted gallons of Awake from Starbucks. Then there were two weeks of zero caffeine detox. Now I feel prepared to resume appreciating teas for their flavor rather than solely based on caffeine content. This was my first cup and a beautiful way to drink tea. I had forgotten a cup of tea could calm and not just fuel me. It’s delicate. Deliciously delicate. Savory and sweet – maybe a bit of carrot? Or even carrot tops. Bi luo lovers might like to give this a try.