Anxi Monkey King (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Oak wood, Butter, Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Peach, Potato, Vegetal, Cream, Hot hay, Creamy, Mineral, Sweet, Flowers, Grass, Toasty, Grapes, Nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so thankful for Teavivre's review contest, I have won a 5 tea sampler pack and that makes me really happy this morning! So to honour them, I have decided to drink one of my favourite of...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 414 tasting notes
  • “Thanks so so much to Teavivre for continuing to be awesome, for providing me with this tea to sample, and for sending a completely surprise free (!!!) gaiwan with my last pack of samples. I am, of...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2028 tasting notes
  • “I thoroughly enjoyed this well balanced oolong courtesy of a sample sent to me by the thoughtful Dexter3657. This green oolong has a really nice soft, sweet blend of floral notes...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 398 tasting notes
  • “What? I am the first to review this! I am not very good with my descriptions, so please forgive me. Thank you so much *Teavivre* for including this free sample in my order! I used 3 tsp of leaf...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 818 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi (安溪), Fujian Province, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: after brewed, tastes smooth and brisk with sweet aftertaste and long-lasting fragrance

Health Benefits: Monkey-King Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

2017 tasting notes

I want to tell you upfront that this is a truly special tea. Every once in a blue moon I feel the need to talk about the texture of a tea because it really stands out. This is one of those teas that I feel the need to hold on my tongue every time I take a sip. It has a wonderful silky mouthfeel that I don’t often encounter. I had to be really careful to remember to take notes on each steep, because last time I came across a tea like this I was distracted by the texture and managed to drink 4 complete steeps without taking a single note. Thankfully Angel at TeaVivre provided me with three samples, one I can write about and two I can get lost in.

The first steep of this tea immediately showed me how special it was. As I mentioned above it had a nice silky mouthfeel to it that just begs to be savored, although the flavor is slightly drying. I did notice that this particular Tie Guan Yin is not as floral as many others that I have had.

Make sure to check out the rest of my review on my blog:

After my wife got two steeps out of her leaves yesterday, I claimed them for my daily overnight coldbrew. It’s really good! Kinda creamy, definitely nutty, green and delicious.

It is very good, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the Taiwan Monkey Picked Tie Guan Yin. Let’s see how I feel after trying that one coldbrewed tomorrow. But while this tea is good, it isn’t something I feel the need to get any more of.

Got this as a sample. It’s a very green oolong, and smells distinctly of gardenia; the flavor is vegetal, with pea notes in partcular. It tastes of gardenia too, but lightly. It doesn’t have any of the heaviness or cloyingness that a lot of florals do.

I couldn’t bring myself to steep this at the recommended 212F — it just seemed too hot for something so green — so went with a long steep at 190 and it was still quite flavorful.

Something really awesome happened to me, thanks to some awesome connections I got my hands on a ton of paint, a glorious selection of brushes, and some basing/sculpting supplies. This pretty much tops off my miniature painting supplies wishlist, I mean yeah there are a few things I need with washes, varnishes, and some technicals, but mostly I am set. This means that any money I get I can use for buying the actual minis instead of the painting supplies, so exciting! I expect that a large portion of Christmas monetary gifts will be used to buy things to paint. Currently I am working on a rather sexy and scantily clad lady standing in some fancy looking rock formations with a friendly lizard.

So, today we are having a tea from Teavivire, Anxi Monkey King (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong. This Tie Guan Yin is of the Zheng Cao type of processing, meaning it is only lightly oxidized, making this a vibrant green oolong from Anxi! The name Monkey King, Ma Liu Mie, or Monkey Picked, all refer to the legend that ancient farmers could not pick the tea growing wild on the cliffside, so they improvised by tying ropes around their waists and climbed the cliffs, just like a monkey. Charming, though this myth has led to some pretty wild tales about the tea being picked by actual monkeys or that the farmers would scare the monkeys into knocking branches off the tea tree by throwing things at them. The beauty of legends, trying to sort the truth from the fiction! The aroma of the dry and very green leaves is one of those ‘just right’ combination of notes, it is floral but not too heady, has notes of fresh vegetation without smelling too green, and notes of chestnut without being too nutty. The Goldilocks of smells. It reminds me of morning dew on an orchid, along with the summer aroma of growing things and a touch of sweet nectar at the finish, very lush smelling.

Once the leaves have been given their first steeping, the headiness of a typical green Tie Guan Yin comes out! The aroma is a very floral blend of orchid, hyacinth, and a touch of honeysuckle with an accompaniment of fresh vegetation and chestnuts. I think I even detect a hint of distant lilacs, very much so a summer evocative blend of notes. The liquid, it is hard to describe, the aroma reminds me of flower water and nectar, like some little (very hard working) elf gathered all the raindrops left on flowers after a rain storm. It is floral, green, and just a tiny hint mineral. Just like summer rain off a flower, not that I am a hard working elf who has done that or anything.

The notes in my notebook for this tea are a little giggle worthy, especially when I use the phrase ‘powerhouse of orchid’ yep, that sums it up nicely. I find this kind of Tie Guan Yin very relaxing, something about its mixing of strong floral notes, wet and crushed vegetation, and just that hint of buttery chestnut always put me in mind of the feeling after a summer storm. I feel focused and relaxed, very alive and ever so slightly sleepy. The buttery mouthfeel and honey sweet finish mix well with the earlier flavor notes.

The aroma of the second steep, no surprise, is very floral. A blend of orchids, hyacinths, and a touch of chestnut sweetness at the end, ah the headiness of oolongs. The taste is a delightful blend of floral sweetness, I definitely know I am picking up lilac along with the orchid powerhouse this time! A touch of green things, including a tiny hint of fresh spinach, and a tiny bit of chestnut and honey at the finish. It is not as buttery smooth this time, there is a hint of dryness at the very back of the mouth which causes a distinct honey aftertaste.

I should note, I am not the only one sipping this tea at the moment. Yes yes, I do have the notes in my notebook, but decided I also wanted to drink it while writing this. I got my mom a little yixing teapot as an early Christmas/birthday gift (her first) and she wanted it seasoned for green oolongs, so we are having a nice time with this tea and her pot. The third steep is much the same in aroma as the second, a bit more hyacinth than orchid, more sweet than vegetation. The taste takes a similar tone from the aroma, the taste is still quite floral but it is no longer a powerhouse but a mild floral headiness. It reminds me of flowers in the evening, closing their petals up, you can still smell them but it is not as intense. Everything about this steep reminds me of the evening, it is winding down, soothing and relaxing. There is a hint of mineral along with the green fresh vegetation and spinach notes that make up the finish. A very soothing end, and now I return to painting!

For photos and review: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/12/teavivre-anxi-monkey-king-ma-liu-mie.html

Warning ! I am tasting the second “monkey” of Teavivre . This is again a beautiful sample offered by Angel . Slighly roasted . Green . A teguanyin to sum up … but not just any!

A beautiful rolled leaf that unfolds entirely at the first infusion. It Looks like a salad :)

It is a so sweet tea , green , floral even very floral but also a little fruity. A nice fruit , peach, but not from a too sweet variety , too heady .

The long finish is impressive. The taste lasts and lasts … it makes me want to go directly to a second infusion. Let’s do that !

The body and texture of the juice remains intact for the second infusion but the peach is more present. The light creamy taste is still there too. Adorable tea. I don’t know which one I prefer between the first and the second monkey Teavivre . Alike and also dissonant . I like both .

Some pics are available here : http://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/12/04/anxi-monkey-king-ma-liu-mie-tie-guan-yin-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Cameron B.

You’re the adorable one! <3

Ysaurella

My package said “Anxi Monkey Picked” instead of “Anxi Monkey King.” But from my messages with Angel, I believe this particular sample is the latter. There’s a dark quality to the dry leaf aroma that intensified once it was brewed. I’m not sure about this one…it’s definitely not the Tie Guan Yin I’m used to.

I can definitely taste the darkness that I detect in the aroma. I’m afraid darkness isn’t a very good term because it has a negative connotation. What I’m tasting here isn’t necessarily negative. It is different. It doesn’t have the fresh, clean, vegetal, buttery flavor that I’ve grown accustomed to tasting in green oolongs. Instead, it has this heavier, oaky, almost roasted kind of thing going on, which I’m calling “darkness” for lack of a better term.

The aftertaste is cooling and refreshing in a unique way. This is certainly interesting. I can understand the appeal to many tea drinkers. I don’t quite think it’s a flavor I would regularly seek out though. I prefer the fresher, greener, creamier oolongs. Still, this is definitely a high quality tea. My rating is only a reflection of my personal enjoyment of it. Thanks to Angel and Teavivre for providing yet another free sample!

Flavors: Oak wood

Ysaurella

this kind should be for me

Teavivre generously sent me some more oolong samples to review. I love the selection that they carry of oolongs, they definitely have some of the best oolongs I’ve tried so far!
It’s always a privilege to try more!
Right when this tea began to steep, a strong, buttery aroma filled the air.
And the taste was nearly the same as the steeping smell. It’s super buttery, but also mixed with floral notes. So I really am enjoying this one!
Wish there were more floral in this one of course, but It’s still a lovely oolong. I will enjoy sipping down the rest of these samples! :D Thank you, Teavivre for giving me more opportunity to try more of your teas!! :D

Flavors: Butter, Floral

This is a sample very generously sent by Teavivre for review. I had to send a message and ask, because my sample as labeled Monkey Picked but the website only showed Monkey King. I was assured they were the same.

I tried this both Gongfu and western, and I think I preferred the western style. I made two steeps of it western, so I did get a lot of tea from these leaves.

This is one of the more impressive teas for growing exponentially when steeped. It looked like a very small amount of pellets that went in the Gongfu pot but after the first steep they were fairly bursting out of the top.

The tea has a very strong aroma, VERY strong, mainly of spinach and fresh leafy greens. That is another area where this one really impressed. You would think it might be a little biting when you experience that scent, but I found it to be one of the softer, greener Monkey Picked style teas I have tried. It is smooth, but if you want a brisker tea you can get it by increasing your steep time carefully just a wee bit, not too much or it will be bitter. Even with Gongfu style I used shorter steeps that the site called for.

I had my second western style pot earlier today. The resteep is a slightly paler yellow and is a little more floral than the first, definitely more subdued.

Thank you, Teavivre, for the opportunity to try it!

I’ve been slacking with my free oolong samples from TeaVivre! This is the one that I expect to not like out of the bunch, mostly because I expect it to be floral. The rather eclectically rolled pellets are a lovely range of medium to dark yellow/green. Surprisingly to me, they smell quite grassy and sweet, which is definitely preferred over flowery.

Once steeped, this tea has a very interesting aroma… Yes, there are definite vegetal notes along the lines of spinach, and also a sweet grassiness. There’s also another scent that reminds me of turnips or potatoes – it actually smells starchy. Wow, it actually tastes a lot like potatoes, too! This is definitely something I haven’t encountered before in a tea. There’s also a distinct and almost sharp grassy note, and I find it to be rather energizing. I can taste just a bit of floral at the end of the sip, but it’s a rather mild one and it mixes with a touch of peach flavor. Yum, thanks Angel!

Flavors: Floral, Freshly Cut Grass, Peach, Potato, Vegetal

Thanks Angel and TeaVivre for the sample!

This is an enjoyable green TGY oolong. SUPER vegetal and a little sweet. It has a lingering floral aftertaste that is pretty enchanting.