Anxi Monkey King (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Sweet, Butter, Flowers, Grass, Toasty, Grapes, Cream, Nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so thankful for Teavivre's review contest, I have won a 5 tea sampler pack and that makes me really happy this morning! So to honour them, I have decided to drink one of my favourite of...” Read full tasting note
    TheTeaFairy 401 tasting notes
  • “Thanks so so much to Teavivre for continuing to be awesome, for providing me with this tea to sample, and for sending a completely surprise free (!!!) gaiwan with my last pack of samples. I am, of...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1957 tasting notes
  • “I thoroughly enjoyed this well balanced oolong courtesy of a sample sent to me by the thoughtful Dexter3657. This green oolong has a really nice soft, sweet blend of floral notes...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 373 tasting notes
  • “What? I am the first to review this! I am not very good with my descriptions, so please forgive me. Thank you so much *Teavivre* for including this free sample in my order! I used 3 tsp of leaf...” Read full tasting note
    tigress_al 812 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi (安溪), Fujian Province, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Harvest time: May 15, 2014

Taste: after brewed, tastes smooth and brisk with sweet aftertaste and long-lasting fragrance

Health Benefits: Monkey-King Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

I want to tell you upfront that this is a truly special tea. Every once in a blue moon I feel the need to talk about the texture of a tea because it really stands out. This is one of those teas that I feel the need to hold on my tongue every time I take a sip. It has a wonderful silky mouthfeel that I don’t often encounter. I had to be really careful to remember to take notes on each steep, because last time I came across a tea like this I was distracted by the texture and managed to drink 4 complete steeps without taking a single note. Thankfully Angel at TeaVivre provided me with three samples, one I can write about and two I can get lost in.

The first steep of this tea immediately showed me how special it was. As I mentioned above it had a nice silky mouthfeel to it that just begs to be savored, although the flavor is slightly drying. I did notice that this particular Tie Guan Yin is not as floral as many others that I have had.

Make sure to check out the rest of my review on my blog:

I FINALLY finished my presentation for my meeting with my boss tomorrow. I only spent the last day and a half on it….le sigh. But, I recently found out that my boss uses my presentations as examples for how he wants people to put together their data, so I’m a bit pleased :)

Anyway, on to the first Teavivre oolong that I ordered. I ordered this, the iron goddess oolong, bailin gongfu, and the yun nan dian hong golden tips based on the recommendations that TheTeaFairy was kind enough to give me. Thanks for being my Teavivre guide! All her recommendations have been great.

The leaves of this oolong are a jade green and tightly rolled. They smell creamy with a hint of floral, qualities I love in an oolong! They brew up a very light green and produce a really nice, creamy oolong mouthfeel. The taste is also creamy, offset by bright florals that end in a sweet, clean finish. It also has a pleasingly mineral quality to it. This is a great green, floral oolong and was my favorite tea out of my Teavivre order!

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Mineral, Sweet

TheTeaFairy

So happy you like it!!! We are oolong sisters, it’s also my favourite oolong from Teavivre!!

mj

We should have a virtual oolong party sometime! Thank you again for the recommendations! Your oolong taste is flawless :)

Lariel of Lórien

Yes, oolong chat party.

Cheri

I’d come play if we had an oolong party!

TheTeaFairy

Mj, that’s a great idea! When would you guys want to do that?

Cheri

Not this weekend because I’m busy, but let me know.

mj

I’ll be out of town for Labor Day weekend, and probably a lot of other people will be too. Maybe after Labor Day then? (Labor Day is September 1st, in case the Canadians among us don’t know that).

I brewed these dark green nuggets of Teavivre Anxi Monkey Picked Ma Liu Mie Oolong side-by-side next to the Iron Goddess TGY, using the same water temperature, number of grams, steep time, and volume of water. The nuggets look very similar. I managed to do a blind comparison, because I had poured my 7 gram packets into small clamp jars and affixed the labels to the bottom. Then I shuffled them until I forgot which one was which. After the test, I looked at the labels to see which was which…

The Anxi Monkey Picked oolong nuggets may be a bit smaller and darker, but they are very close in size to the Iron Goddess. The first notable difference emerged upon infusion. The liquor for this tea was quite a bit lighter and more green. I was afraid that I may have understeeped. Then when I tasted the two teas, I immediately found that the Iron Goddess had a more robust flavor. At first I thought that I preferred the Iron Goddess to the Monkey Picked, but then when I took another couple of sips, I changed my mind!

This tea ended up having a slightly richer texture, though I do think that the flavors are quite similar.

(7/29/14)

180 °F / 82 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

First, I’d like to apologize to TeaVivre. I was sent several lovely samples to review and I posted this review under the incorrect tea! So I am moving the review to the correct tea listing.

Method: 1.5 tsp, 8 oz, 208 degrees, 3 and 10 minutes, ForLife brew in mug strainer

Dry Leaf Aroma: The leaves had only a very faintly floral scent.

Brewing Aroma: Oh, THERE you are! This smells gorgeous! There’s a very strong floral aroma, like jasmine, but not exactly jasmine.

Flavor: Smooth and floral. I steeped for 3 minutes and the flavor was nice, but not that strong. I put the brew cup back in, intending to try again after 2 min, but I got distracted and another 7 minutes had passed!

The flavor was definitely stronger now. The floral is in your face, but I personally like that, so I’m happy. There was a little astringency, and a bare hint of bitterness, but nothing crazy. I will undoubtedly buy more of this to keep at work for grandpa style brewing. It holds up to long steeps extremely well!!!

Thanks to Angel @ TeaVivre for the sample!

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cheri

That does sound good. I’ve never actually done grandpa style brewing.

Sarsonator

I like it for work because my water heating options are limited, but we have a water filter thing that puts out hot water at around 185 degrees.

Tie Guan Yin is one of those teas that are getting increasing popularity in the west, but when it comes to me I drink it seldom. The reason why I ordered this tea is that I wanted to compare it to the Taiwanese version of the same grade, labeled Monkey picked. I heard stories that monkeys were trained in the past to pick the hardly accessible leaves for this tea but more rational approach suggests that it was a metaphor superior leaf material that distinguishes it from an average.

As I’m nearly finishing a pouch of this tea I learned that I like it prepared in a small porcelain teapot the most. I use about 4 grams and 180-200ml and steep it in 2min-1min-2min fashion. The infusion has a bright green tone with slightly warm (close to toasted) aroma at the top with bright flowery notes. First infusion is refreshing, mildly grassy and ends with toasty goodness. As the tea cools down the flowery element gets more prominent and almost to the point of being rough, also I get a long moist sensation in mouth as I finish the cup.
Second cup is more balanced as flowery note loses its domination and for a short period between the sips I could sense a crisp sweetness lingering in the back.
Third cup if more floral than the previous but the sweetness is persistent. I can sense some buttery hints in the background if I focus a little bit.

A very nice tea, refreshing, quenching but a bit too flowery for my taste. I enjoy the Taiwanese version more but I wouldn’t mind having this one every now and then.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Flowers, Grass, Sweet, Toasty

Boiling 4 g 6 OZ / 180 ML

The Leaf: Each curled leaf ranges from a deep dark green to a much lighter, almost pale green color. Only found one lose stem in the pile, but otherwise all leaf. The scent is light, sweet, and fruity.

The Brew: The aroma is clean, sweet, fresh, slightly grassy, and fruity. The liquor is extremely light green; almost clear or white looking. The taste is medium-light in intensity. There is a slight astringency, possible due to the high temperature water. The mouthfeel is somewhat thick while drinking, and there is a slight dryness left on the tongue. I taste fresh grass, mineral, and grape skin.

I drink all of my teas cold.

Flavors: Grapes, Grass, Mineral

205 °F / 96 °C 1 min, 0 sec 7 g 17 OZ / 500 ML

Thank you TheTeaFairy for sending me this one.
I don’t know what happened to my world – All the green oolongs I’ve drank this week I’ve enjoyed. I like this one too. I’m confused. I need to ponder this situation…….

TheTeaFairy

Lol, it might confuse you, but your confusion makes me very happy ;-)

come back to me dex! stay away from the green side!

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Get used to it Sil, I turned her to the green side, and now blergamot is my next target, mouahahaha!!! Just come and play with us, Sil…

no no no no no no no!

Dexter

No no no blerg……
I’m not leaving the dark side – I will always be a dark girl, but some of these green oolongs are pretty good….

Another sample from Teavivre. Thank you so so much. I always appreciate these samples! This is the last of my last sample package to review, but there is already another sample package on the way! The leaves have a bright and fresh fragrance, very floral, though not as floral as another Teavivre oolong (the Nonpareil Anxi Qing Xiang TieGuanYin smells like an entire Spring garden). I tried to go with the steeping parameters for their other green oolongs, since I don’t like this suggestion of 17 ounces (a tablespoon of leaves, 212 degrees, a rinse, 1,2,3,4 minute steeps). I went with two teaspoons of these bright green bundles.

Steep #1 // 7 minutes after boiling & a rinse // 1 1/2 min steep
The leaves are almost bursting out of the basket, I can’t imagine using more! The flavor is nice but it doesn’t taste overly like flowers, or peach (or any other type of fruit), or like a creamy milk oolong, or vegetal. Usually oolong can fit into a category, but this one does not, at least not on the first cup. This is a different oolong — it isn’t as floral tasting as the scent is. There is a bit of an odd flavor to it but it certainly isn’t astringent or oversteeped. It’s quite a mystery. The color of the cup is between the mellow yellow of a light oolong but not quite bright yellow.

Steep #2 // two minutes after boiling // 2 min
Hmm. This is the oddest oolong I’ve ever tasted. I don’t think it is oversteeped but it has a sour flavor to it, even a fuzzy texture to it. It has hints of pineapple flavor to it… or maybe some unripened fruit and autumn leaves. It’s such a different flavor for oolong. Not a fan of this oolong, but it could just be my tastes. I think some of Teavivre’s other oolongs are better. Give them a try!

Thank you so much, Jennkay, for a sample of this!

And the sample is pretty much done because I had it with my husband two nights ago and right now I am having the rest of it just by myself.

I love my green oolongs so much! And I think this is the best Tie Guan Yin I have had yet. I love the asparagusy quality of a TGY – this one has also plenty of green vegetable notes to it, but it is creamier, fuller, more buttery… and on the whole more complex. I love when teas have this lingering flavorful aftertaste that stays with you between the sips. This tea definitely has it, too.

It’s just chock full of qualities I love in oolongs.

And the color of the steep is so beautiful, the warm yellow of today’s sunlight. Because, guys, it was fairly warm today in PA. AMAZING.

Jennkay

Yay! Glad you loved it :) I highly recommend getting an oolong sampler from Teavivre. All their oolongs have been delicious so far.

Kat_Maria

I definitely will. They seem like a great deal, too! Thank you, again :)

Very beautiful, tightly rolled little emerald green balls that smell like honeysuckle. The leaves unfurl to be pretty forest green and the liquor is a Spring green as well.
The liquor smells of honeysuckle as well.
The flavor is not as floral as the scent which is very cool. It has a cream and almond taste.
As it cools, a nice Angel food cake flavor comes thru. There is a touch of astringency but it is palate-cleansing and very very subtle.

The second steeping I timed at 4 minutes as well, as the leaves had opened up very large. The flavor was still creamy- tasting and honeysuckle-scented with the very light astringency.
This is a very beautiful tea!!!!!
Thank you to Teavivre for this sample!!!!!

Flavors: Cream, Flowers, Nuts