Fengqing Zhuan Cha Raw Puerh Brick Tea 2005

Pu-erh Tea
Musty, Smoke, Wood, Floral, Vegetal, Lima Beans
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 8 g 8 oz / 247 ml

• “Sipdown! Finally starting to get organised after being away forever...budget figured out, work emails taken care of and now i can do laundry and clean..and more importantly, back up pictures, and...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4674 tasting notes
  • “I had this last night and forgot to review it so please forgive my lack of a full review for this tea. It's my fault for getting the drawers mixed up, I have one for Teavivre samples I have not...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1067 tasting notes
  • “Thank you to *Teavivre* for for this free sample, and my apologies that I am totally behind on reviewing the teas I was sent. Still, only one left to try. That will be today's project. So, I drank...” Read full tasting note
    Roughage 235 tasting notes
  • “*Aroma:* Crisp autumn leaves, hay *Liquor Color:* Light honey amber *Liquor Flavor:* Straw, floral aftertaste, wood *Notes:* I've been still trying to get into puerhs, and I realized that I enjoy...” Read full tasting note
    winterqueen27 98 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing (凤庆), Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 30 to 40 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: June, 2005

Taste: Rich and refreshing flavor, strong taste with instant aftertaste. The mellow and sweet taste comes quickly

Health Benefits: The Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Puerh Brick Tea 2005 is small but has full weight of 240g. The brick is in the size of 13.5 cm long, 9 cm wide and 1.5 cm high, which makes the tea easy to store. Brick tea is a kind of compressed pu-erh tea. This Raw Pu-erh Brick Tea has yellow and bright liquid, stronger flavor than ripened brick with strong astringent taste. Yet the bitter taste differs from other teas’. A strong sweet aftertaste comes after the liquid fills in your mouth, as well as the long-lasting mellow flavor promoting the secretion of saliva. The sweet aftertaste still remains even half a minute later. This Raw Pu-erh Brick is picked in 2005’s spring and summer, and pressed in the same year. Aged Pu-erh Brick teas will become more profound after years of store. It is regarded as an eatable antique in China.

About Teavivre View company

Sipdown! Finally starting to get organised after being away forever…budget figured out, work emails taken care of and now i can do laundry and clean..and more importantly, back up pictures, and add ALL the tea in my house in to my cupboard so i finally have an accurate picture of how bad it is (and then maybe place a small order…)

I’ve been sipping on this one most of the early afternoon, just enjoying how light and relaxing this one is. This is a tea i could drink every day without getting bored even after multiple steeps!

Terri HarpLady

Hmmm…haven’t tried this one yet I don’t think.

yours will be in the packaging since mine was in a ziploc lol

gah..nm i was thinking of something else… disregard the crazy person

I had this last night and forgot to review it so please forgive my lack of a full review for this tea. It’s my fault for getting the drawers mixed up, I have one for Teavivre samples I have not tried and one for Teavivre samples that I have tried, in my sleepy state I got this Puerh from the wrong drawer.

The leaves (from what I remember) were wonderful and musky smelling, very earthy and wooden. Dull-ish dark green and twig like in form compressed to a small piece.

I served this in my 200ml glass Gongfu teapot over three steeps (1 min, 2 min, 3 min).

The resulting flavour was more or less identical for the first two steeps, it had a deep, earthy flavour that reminded me of damp wood. Very musky and musty type of feel from it with some smoke. In a sense it tasted like rain from a forest, at least that is what my tired mind thought at the time. It might not sound nice to some people (musty and damp are not usually flavours I personally like) but it was very pure and that made it nice, it wasn’t too much or too thick. Well until I got to the third steep which was very thick and had to be watered down a little, it became too strong and almost unpalatable.

I enjoyed it as did my husband but it was not a favourite of mine.

Flavors: Musty, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Thank you to Teavivre for for this free sample, and my apologies that I am totally behind on reviewing the teas I was sent. Still, only one left to try. That will be today’s project.

So, I drank this a while back but have not managed to write it up before now. I made it in an yixing pot and managed to get a good few steeps from it. The dry leaf had a strong hay aroma with a slight floral edge. The liquor brewed up yellow with some honey, hay and floral notes. The tea is smoky with vegetal notes. It is sweet and has a lasting aftertaste. There is some puckering of the tongue from the astringency that is quite pleasant. As I resteeped the tea, the flavour deepened and mellowed. I liked the way the tea developed and the flavours became more pronounced for the first half dozen steeps.

One thing I did find a bit odd was the recommendation to brew with boiling water. I normally brew sheng at 85-90 degrees C. With this tea I tried both. I found that I had to wait for it to cool before I could taste anything when I brewed it with boiling water while the cooler brew did not impair the flavour at all. I am still undecided about which is better but probably prefer the cooler brew. Perhaps I need to get some more to experiment a bit.

Flavors: Floral, Smoke, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Aroma: Crisp autumn leaves, hay
Liquor Color: Light honey amber
Liquor Flavor: Straw, floral aftertaste, wood
Notes: I’ve been still trying to get into puerhs, and I realized that I enjoy the raw ones a lot better. It’s a lot lighter than the ripe ones. There was a faint honey taste that emerged which was a nice surprise since I didn’t get that from cooked puerhs. Thank you teavivre for the free sample!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Having this one courtesy of Angel at TeaVivre.
I was graciously gifted with this tea recently from her.
The pack I opened contained 10 grams which is perfect for my brewing as this is the usual amount I brew in.
This sample was from a brick and I broke it up a bit more and it came apart in a sheet just like the other bricks I have. I gave this a double rinse and let it set in the Yixing for about 10 minutes to open up. I did a 15 second steep and away I went.
It has a nice golden color that teas of this age should exhibit.
It has a bit of smoke in the aroma and taste that gets erased by a bit of woodiness and a touch of bitter on the side of the tongue. It puts a touch of numb briefly on the sides of the tongue and and turns into a nice “steamed” vegetable taste with a touch of astringency briefly and a lingering tastes that activates the saliva on the sides of your tongue. It has some bits of floral in the aftertaste and a sweetness that comes in a bit later.
A gentle calm comes in as I finish this first session with this tea.
Many thanks to Angel for the chance to try this tea.

Flavors: Floral, Smoke, Vegetal, Wood

Backlog:

A really nice Pu-erh. The earthiness is more like a vegetal note, notes of mineral and a sort of savory/salt like taste that is an nice contrast to the sweeter vegetal notes. Hints of kelp. Each subsequent infusion delivered a deeper flavor.

Here’s my full-length review with more details about the multiple infusions: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/03/14/fengqing-zhuan-cha-raw-puerh-brick-tea-2005-teavivre/

Thank you SO much Amanda Wilson for sending me a sample of this.

I am really enjoying this sheng. Most raw puerhs I’ve tried so far have been a lot younger and more “wild” tasting. They always tasted like spring to me, but this one tastes of summer, full and lush and golden. It still has so much energy. I love sheng! I can taste this one for at least a minute after each sip. So sweet! :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yay! I am so glad you liked it, and you are very welcome!

Nice and rich flavour, even after a short-ish steep of a minute or so. There is the classic pu erh earthy flavour, but also a chocolate like note like you might find in a yunnan. I did not rinse, but I did sweeten and add milk. Pu erh, to me, is the coffee of tea. Aside from sheng pu erh, or a white pu erh, I pretty much always add milk and sugar to mine.

I find it to be tasty, and I’m off to make a second cup soon, though, I might like Special Dark from Mandala just a little more. I’m going to share my other packet with a friend who likes coffee and see what she thinks.

This sample was provided from Angel at Teavivre. So I thank her much for allowing me to try it.

EDIT: Second steep, this time, sans milk, but still with sugar.

I think I did somewhere between 1-2 minutes…I was stirring a little basmati rice in oil, prior to adding the water to cook it.

Even this way, it’s rich, but not overpowering.

Overall, my impression is that this is a good starter pu erh, when prepared with a short steep. I tend to like the heavy rich pu erhs and can handle most at a good 3+ minute steep, so I can probably do this one that way too, but someone not used to this type of tea, might be ok with this one, in short steeps.

Well it finally happened, I saw the inevitable coming for months now, but it seems the end has finally arrived. My iron has kicked the bucket. Of course it decided to die in the middle of fusing a massive project (luckily it was for myself and not for my shop or worse, a custom order) so my epic tea mat is fused unevenly. It is frustrating but salvageable (I think) when I am able to get a new iron (no idea when that will be, curse you lack of money!!) but I am mostly frustrated because I was feeling inspired to make some awesome perler creations and mini hama creations and now I can’t. Darn. Ah well, at least I still have my origami stars and of course tea to occupy myself with.

Today’s tea from Teavivre is Fengqing Zhuan Cha Raw Puerh Brick Tea 2005 and has the honor of being the oldest Puerh that I have tried. This lovely tea hails from the land of Yunnan, China, an area that is famous for its tea (especially Puerh), it is made from 30-40 year old large leaf arbor tea trees and was picked between May and June of 2005. The aroma of the dry and compressed leaves is sweet like pine wood, loam, and vegetation. It smells like a forest in late summer, mixing abundant growth and decay, humidity and wood. It is a wonderful smell for someone who spent many a day like that deep in a forest drinking up the various aromas that nature provides. I think the best teas are the one’s whose taste or aroma transport you to a place in your memory. Poetic waxing aside, there is a finish of peanuts and cocoa that is extremely faint, almost the ghost of a smell.

Once I rinse and give the leaves a brief steeping the aroma becomes a blend of cooked spinach, rich oak loam, sweet old hay, and a touch of barnyard. This tea took a walking tour of the forest and walked into a farm, a fascinating transition. The liquid is sweet hay in both appearance and aroma, with a sprinkling of pine needles giving it a slightly sharp green and pine sap aroma as well.

Ok, I hope you all are ready because I got a whopping seven steepings out of this tea and I took notes on them all! The first steeping is nothing short of fascinating (I feel I will use this word a lot with this tea) the mouthfeel is thick, not oily, but thick. It feels like with each sip my mouth fills with saliva along with the tea, it is an odd sensation but not unpleasant. The initial taste is faint, like old straw, but by the time it reaches the midtaste it picks up notes of spinach and peanuts. The aftertaste is bold and lingers leaving the taste of faintly sweet peanuts and mild vegetal.

The second steeping has a powerfully vegetal aroma, mixing cooked spinach and beans, it took me a moment to place the specific bean but to me it smells like lima beans. There is also the loam and forest aroma from previously. The liquid, well in my notebook I wrote ‘it smells like hay and liquid gold joy’, I still think it is an accurate description. The taste is still a blend of peanuts, cooked spinach and lima beans, but there is a sourness, like a hint of tamarind, which certainly makes me salivate a lot. It fades to a subtle sweetness at the end.

Third time around the aroma of the leaves and liquid is much the same as the second, except there is a honey quality to the liquid that was not there previously. The taste is a blend of old hay and lima beans with a slightly metallic quality. The midtaste is vegetal like cooked spinach and the aftertaste is sweet and like fresh hay.

The fourth steeping’s leaves are mildly vegetal and fresh hay, not as potent as the previous steeps but still full of aromas. The liquid is honey sweet and fresh hay, golden and pretty. This steep was pretty interesting, there is a bitterness that was not present before, vegetal qualities of lima beans and cooked spinach, it is quite the savory veggie broth. The mouthfeel has gone back to being thick, like the first steep, and the aftertaste is like loam.

The fifth steeping has a faint vegetal and mild, slightly sweet hay aroma to its wet leaves, the liquid has very little aroma, just a hint of sweetness and hay. The taste is initially sweeter, it fades to a sweet vegetal decay (it sounds gross, but think Black Trumpet mushrooms, so yummy) and hay. It now has a dry mouthfeel and sourness to it that lasts into the aftertaste.

The sixth steeping’s leaves have only the aroma of faint vegetal left, the liquid is the same as last steep, faint and barely there. This is the first time the tea starts to loose its footing, it is starting to taste watery with hints of lima beans, spinach, and hay. The aftertaste is faintly sour.

The final steeping is truly the finished tea, there is very little aroma left at all, just the ghost of previous scents. The taste is faint honey sweet hay and a hint of sourness, that is all. This tea was fascinating, I am not really sure I liked it, but I did certainly enjoy the experience. I spent the entire day with this tea and I do not regret it, especially since it gave me a little golden piece of summer.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/teavivre-fengqing-zhuan-cha-raw-puerh.html

Flavors: Lima Beans

Stephanie

I’m super jealous you had a chance to try this! It sounds so good! :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Well I have enough for another steeping session, PM me your address and I can send it to you :)

Stephanie

Aww, I’d hate to take the last of it from you though! I’ll probably make a Teavivre order at some point, I can just get some then :) But I’d be happy to do a swap sometime.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

I wouldn’t mind it at all, I mean you did send me that amazing sencha which I have been enjoying immensely.

Stephanie

Oh I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it! :D I’ll PM you my addy just in case ;)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

;) It has been excellent, just what I needed to keep my winter blues away.