Fengqing Zhuan Cha Raw Puerh Brick Tea 2005

Pu-erh Tea
Menthol, Smoke, Sugarcane, Plums, Vegetal, Wood, Campfire, Floral, Sweet, Musty, Lima Beans
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
Boiling 1 min, 30 sec 6 g 21 oz / 620 ml

• “Sipdown! Finally starting to get organised after being away forever...budget figured out, work emails taken care of and now i can do laundry and clean..and more importantly, back up pictures, and...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5351 tasting notes
  • “Amber in color with a leathery aroma. This tea has a sweet and savory flavor with a bit of astringent taste in the background. The flavor I get is a mix of plum and wood with a little bit of...” Read full tasting note
    A-House 80 tasting notes
  • “This is third time I write this since my computer is one butt. When Teavivre had their pu erh sale it was really hard for me to decide if I buy this or 2006 tuocha that I had tasted before as a...” Read full tasting note
    Riimu 40 tasting notes
  • “I had this last night and forgot to review it so please forgive my lack of a full review for this tea. It's my fault for getting the drawers mixed up, I have one for Teavivre samples I have not...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1154 tasting notes

From Teavivre

Origin: Fengqing (凤庆), Lincang, Yunnan, China

Ingredients: Made from 100% pure leaves from 30 to 40 years old Large-leaf Arbor Tea Trees

Harvest time: June, 2005

Taste: Rich and refreshing flavor, strong taste with instant aftertaste. The mellow and sweet taste comes quickly

Health Benefits: The Fengqing Zhuan Cha Ripened Puerh Brick Tea 2005 is small but has full weight of 240g. The brick is in the size of 13.5 cm long, 9 cm wide and 1.5 cm high, which makes the tea easy to store. Brick tea is a kind of compressed pu-erh tea. This Raw Pu-erh Brick Tea has yellow and bright liquid, stronger flavor than ripened brick with strong astringent taste. Yet the bitter taste differs from other teas’. A strong sweet aftertaste comes after the liquid fills in your mouth, as well as the long-lasting mellow flavor promoting the secretion of saliva. The sweet aftertaste still remains even half a minute later. This Raw Pu-erh Brick is picked in 2005’s spring and summer, and pressed in the same year. Aged Pu-erh Brick teas will become more profound after years of store. It is regarded as an eatable antique in China.

About Teavivre View company

Sipdown! Finally starting to get organised after being away forever…budget figured out, work emails taken care of and now i can do laundry and clean..and more importantly, back up pictures, and add ALL the tea in my house in to my cupboard so i finally have an accurate picture of how bad it is (and then maybe place a small order…)

I’ve been sipping on this one most of the early afternoon, just enjoying how light and relaxing this one is. This is a tea i could drink every day without getting bored even after multiple steeps!

Terri HarpLady

Hmmm…haven’t tried this one yet I don’t think.

yours will be in the packaging since mine was in a ziploc lol

gah..nm i was thinking of something else… disregard the crazy person

Amber in color with a leathery aroma. This tea has a sweet and savory flavor with a bit of astringent taste in the background. The flavor I get is a mix of plum and wood with a little bit of vegetal notes. Overall quite a pleasant tea.

Flavors: Plums, Vegetal, Wood

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

This is third time I write this since my computer is one butt.
When Teavivre had their pu erh sale it was really hard for me to decide if I buy this or 2006 tuocha that I had tasted before as a sample. I bought the tuocha and got sample of this.
Dry leaves smell sweet and woody with hint of hay. Wet leaves have kinda same aroma.
Tea itself has golden colour and veery smoky aroma, smokiest tea I have ever tasted. It’s not a bad thing though. Smokiness fades after couple steeps and makes room for sweet, maybe floral and woody taste. I really like this, I might get some more of this too. I start to get addicted into sheng pu erh.

Flavors: Campfire, Floral, Smoke, Sweet, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 100 OZ / 2957 ML

I had this last night and forgot to review it so please forgive my lack of a full review for this tea. It’s my fault for getting the drawers mixed up, I have one for Teavivre samples I have not tried and one for Teavivre samples that I have tried, in my sleepy state I got this Puerh from the wrong drawer.

The leaves (from what I remember) were wonderful and musky smelling, very earthy and wooden. Dull-ish dark green and twig like in form compressed to a small piece.

I served this in my 200ml glass Gongfu teapot over three steeps (1 min, 2 min, 3 min).

The resulting flavour was more or less identical for the first two steeps, it had a deep, earthy flavour that reminded me of damp wood. Very musky and musty type of feel from it with some smoke. In a sense it tasted like rain from a forest, at least that is what my tired mind thought at the time. It might not sound nice to some people (musty and damp are not usually flavours I personally like) but it was very pure and that made it nice, it wasn’t too much or too thick. Well until I got to the third steep which was very thick and had to be watered down a little, it became too strong and almost unpalatable.

I enjoyed it as did my husband but it was not a favourite of mine.

Flavors: Musty, Smoke, Wood

Boiling 5 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

Thank you to Teavivre for for this free sample, and my apologies that I am totally behind on reviewing the teas I was sent. Still, only one left to try. That will be today’s project.

So, I drank this a while back but have not managed to write it up before now. I made it in an yixing pot and managed to get a good few steeps from it. The dry leaf had a strong hay aroma with a slight floral edge. The liquor brewed up yellow with some honey, hay and floral notes. The tea is smoky with vegetal notes. It is sweet and has a lasting aftertaste. There is some puckering of the tongue from the astringency that is quite pleasant. As I resteeped the tea, the flavour deepened and mellowed. I liked the way the tea developed and the flavours became more pronounced for the first half dozen steeps.

One thing I did find a bit odd was the recommendation to brew with boiling water. I normally brew sheng at 85-90 degrees C. With this tea I tried both. I found that I had to wait for it to cool before I could taste anything when I brewed it with boiling water while the cooler brew did not impair the flavour at all. I am still undecided about which is better but probably prefer the cooler brew. Perhaps I need to get some more to experiment a bit.

Flavors: Floral, Smoke, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 10 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Aroma: Crisp autumn leaves, hay
Liquor Color: Light honey amber
Liquor Flavor: Straw, floral aftertaste, wood
Notes: I’ve been still trying to get into puerhs, and I realized that I enjoy the raw ones a lot better. It’s a lot lighter than the ripe ones. There was a faint honey taste that emerged which was a nice surprise since I didn’t get that from cooked puerhs. Thank you teavivre for the free sample!

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Having this one courtesy of Angel at TeaVivre.
I was graciously gifted with this tea recently from her.
The pack I opened contained 10 grams which is perfect for my brewing as this is the usual amount I brew in.
This sample was from a brick and I broke it up a bit more and it came apart in a sheet just like the other bricks I have. I gave this a double rinse and let it set in the Yixing for about 10 minutes to open up. I did a 15 second steep and away I went.
It has a nice golden color that teas of this age should exhibit.
It has a bit of smoke in the aroma and taste that gets erased by a bit of woodiness and a touch of bitter on the side of the tongue. It puts a touch of numb briefly on the sides of the tongue and and turns into a nice “steamed” vegetable taste with a touch of astringency briefly and a lingering tastes that activates the saliva on the sides of your tongue. It has some bits of floral in the aftertaste and a sweetness that comes in a bit later.
A gentle calm comes in as I finish this first session with this tea.
Many thanks to Angel for the chance to try this tea.

Flavors: Floral, Smoke, Vegetal, Wood

Backlog:

A really nice Pu-erh. The earthiness is more like a vegetal note, notes of mineral and a sort of savory/salt like taste that is an nice contrast to the sweeter vegetal notes. Hints of kelp. Each subsequent infusion delivered a deeper flavor.

Here’s my full-length review with more details about the multiple infusions: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/03/14/fengqing-zhuan-cha-raw-puerh-brick-tea-2005-teavivre/

Thank you SO much Amanda Wilson for sending me a sample of this.

I am really enjoying this sheng. Most raw puerhs I’ve tried so far have been a lot younger and more “wild” tasting. They always tasted like spring to me, but this one tastes of summer, full and lush and golden. It still has so much energy. I love sheng! I can taste this one for at least a minute after each sip. So sweet! :)

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Yay! I am so glad you liked it, and you are very welcome!

Nice and rich flavour, even after a short-ish steep of a minute or so. There is the classic pu erh earthy flavour, but also a chocolate like note like you might find in a yunnan. I did not rinse, but I did sweeten and add milk. Pu erh, to me, is the coffee of tea. Aside from sheng pu erh, or a white pu erh, I pretty much always add milk and sugar to mine.

I find it to be tasty, and I’m off to make a second cup soon, though, I might like Special Dark from Mandala just a little more. I’m going to share my other packet with a friend who likes coffee and see what she thinks.

This sample was provided from Angel at Teavivre. So I thank her much for allowing me to try it.

EDIT: Second steep, this time, sans milk, but still with sugar.

I think I did somewhere between 1-2 minutes…I was stirring a little basmati rice in oil, prior to adding the water to cook it.

Even this way, it’s rich, but not overpowering.

Overall, my impression is that this is a good starter pu erh, when prepared with a short steep. I tend to like the heavy rich pu erhs and can handle most at a good 3+ minute steep, so I can probably do this one that way too, but someone not used to this type of tea, might be ok with this one, in short steeps.